Hello all,

With all the talk of the BlackBerry Venice & screenshots of the Passport running Android, I haven't seen/heard anything about Android for the Classic.
    I am wondering if Android will be coming to the Classic or is it too underpowered spec wise.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 08:24 AM
    Hello all,

With all the talk of the BlackBerry Venice & screenshots of the Passport running Android, I haven't seen/heard anything about Android for the Classic.
    I am wondering if Android will be coming to the Classic or is it too underpowered spec wise.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Passport is the only other devices that it's been seen on.... I'd say that yeah the 2 year old hardware of the Classic is just not up to the task.

But it is questionable if any BB10 device will be upgradeable....
    08-19-15 08:41 AM
    Definitely too underpowered to provide a good Android experience. You never know, if the Android Slider is successful, there might be more to come.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 10:55 AM
    Hello all,

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    There are Androids on much lower spec. So I doubt that'll be an issue. My personal take on it is, if all of the BB10 features (gestures, peek, hub, keyboard shortcuts, type and go, one-button homescreen speed dialing, hold volume keys to skip songs or go back, etc.) are not implemented on top of Android in their OS, I'm sticking to BB10 since I don't care for downloading a ton of apps anyway.

Yes, you know something as simple as using your volume keys to skip songs or go back isn't available on Android (last I checked)?? I use that all of the time and the thought of requiring me to look at the phone and use the touchscreen to do something that simple would annoy the crap out of me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    anon(9155131), idssteve and p51 like this.
    08-19-15 01:04 PM
    Yes, def lower spec Android devices that are dedicated to one OS & still run poorly. Even the higher spec Android devices show lag due to maufacturer overlays (Touchwiz).
    We have already seen performance degradation when downloading Android apps/games onto the Classic. Heck, there is noticeable lag with the stock BB 10 software.
    Having to run some instances of 2 different OS's will be even more of a strain on a device that may not be equipped to handle it.
    08-19-15 02:03 PM
    I don't know why anyone would want android anything. Not hating, just really dislike it over everything.

 Classic
    kgbbz10 likes this.
    08-19-15 09:10 PM
    Well the first-gen Moto X is a dual-core processor (1.7 GHz Snapdragon S4 with Adreno 320 GPU) with 2 gigs of RAM. It currently runs Android 5.1.1 just fine.

The Classic has similar specs. Dual-core S4 (1.5 GHz). It's the GPU I'm worried about (Adreno 225). If BlackBerry were to ever put Android on the Classic, it'd be able to handle it, but you'd see some stutter due to the GPU.
    08-19-15 09:34 PM
    Yes, def lower spec Android devices that are dedicated to one OS & still run poorly. Even the higher spec Android devices show lag due to maufacturer overlays (Touchwiz).
    We have already seen performance degradation when downloading Android apps/games onto the Classic. Heck, there is noticeable lag with the stock BB 10 software.
    Having to run some instances of 2 different OS's will be even more of a strain on a device that may not be equipped to handle it.
    If you use the Nexus 6, you don't notice any lag. Stock Android is actually quite smooth and fluid.
    08-19-15 09:34 PM
    If you use the Nexus 6, you don't notice any lag. Stock Android is actually quite smooth and fluid.
    I'm sure it is, especially with no skin overlay from the device manufacturer.

Posted via CB10
    08-19-15 09:44 PM
    The way the runtime runs so smoothly on the classic (with QNX powering it and java too), it can handle the job without a problem. :P
    08-30-15 02:06 PM
    I'm perfectly find the way my classic is to be honest.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-15 02:34 PM
    I REALLY hope there's no Android for the Classic. Wish BB would just stick with BBOS
    08-31-15 01:14 PM
    I REALLY hope there's no Android for the Classic. Wish BB would just stick with BBOS
    BBOS? Lol

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-31-15 02:33 PM
    Of all the replacement manufacturer launchers you chose the worst example... TouchWiz.

I've actually used Sony's custom UI on lower end (Sony ST27i Xperia Go with 1GHz and 512MB), it's actually pretty good, MUCH better than the TouchWiz on similar hardware (Samsung S3 Mini).
    09-01-15 12:06 PM
    I hope not. I want to stick to BlackBerry OS, but I can accept some compatibilities.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-15 05:46 PM
    Hello all,

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Yucks!

Posted via CB10
    09-23-15 06:30 PM