I love the Classic. However, I also need some of the apps that are readily available on other platforms (google maps, wechat/line, golfshot lite...etc). And even though I can locate apks and install them on my Classic, their relative performances compared to their Android counterparts...are just inferior.

I either have to settle for a lower version (ala google.maps), or I have to accept glitchy performances that are otherwise nonexistent when used in standard Android (golfshot lite. I play a lot of golf).

All in all, I love the pkb...but I dont know if I will be willing to support bb beyond the Classic...because having to run apps via apk install (not too mention update issues) and trying to live with weird app glitches on the Classic, sometimes can get really difficult....

(Now that Apple/Android have smart watches with square.screens, is it possible for future bb classic to run these os's)?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    04-21-15 10:53 PM
    You're just going to have to deal with it...Android apps don't even belong on Blackberry to begin with. Just be blessed that you actually have the apps you want on your device. Who knows maybe in the future, Blackberry will get better apps. Until then....use what you have.
    Mausje75 likes this.
    04-22-15 02:54 AM
    Now that Apple/Android have smart watches with square.screens, is it possible for future bb classic to run these os's?

Well, the easiest answer here is "no" the BlackBerry 10 OS will never run iOS, not even the version run by Apple watch--it�s proprietary closed source software and I can�t imagine that Apple would ever give it to BlackBerry. OTOH, I have seen software on my jailbroken iPhone to run Android Wear, the Android smartwatch software, so the idea of a port of that software is more plausible than iOS's, but the idea that smartwatch software would be ported to a BlackBerry smartphone to take advantage of the square screen similarity is also difficult for me to imagine.

As for the performance of Android apps on your device, I would have to do my duty as a Crackberry fan and ask if you considered the BlackBerry Passport. It has much higher specs than the Classic (and a qwerty keyboard), and I hear that it runs Android apps well. A high performing Android runtime backed by high-end specs is about the best that BlackBerry can do at this point, because native BlackBerry development has suffered greatly due to low numbers of devices being sold and Chen's cold shoulder.
    04-22-15 03:40 AM
    Android Apps on BB10 will never run as good as the Android counterpart, it's a Virtual Machine almost
    04-22-15 03:51 AM
  5. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    New releases of the Blackberry OS continue to provide improvements.. hearing OS 10.3.2.500 is awesome....

Will only get better...

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 04:11 AM

As for the performance of Android apps on your device, I would have to do my duty as a Crackberry fan and ask if you considered the BlackBerry Passport. It has much higher specs than the Classic (and a qwerty keyboard), and I hear that it runs Android apps well. A high performing Android runtime backed by high-end specs is about the best that BlackBerry can do at this point, because native BlackBerry development has suffered greatly due to low numbers of devices being sold and Chen's cold shoulder.
    Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah I have been giving it some thoughts as well. Maybe the Passport is the way out. Its just that the sheer size of it...i just feel really comfortable with Classic form factor atm

04-22-15 04:42 AM
    The issue has been brought up in several reviews I read, while all of them liked the fact you have the ability to install Android apps on BB10, the use was stated to be rather limited. Some of those even sideloaded Snap or that Google Playstore for further testing. However the verdict was simple: The Classic is not up to the task of running Android apps reliable. Not surprising, after all it runs in that Virtual Machine and second, the SoC of the Classic was a high-end model back in 2012 and today, it is mediocre at best. Android seems to be pretty needy in terms of hardware, now combine that with the virtual machine environment and the rather dated hardware, you'll get the result.

Personally I stopped using most Android apps, besides from performance issues there have been other annoyances as well, like random images being stored and couldn't be deleted or higher battery consumption because some apps kept running even after closing them. Right now Audible is the only Android app installed on my BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-22-15 05:15 AM
    Specs matter!

Posted via BlackBerry Classic
    04-22-15 01:12 PM
    What else is new. Android apps have always been glitchy even on Android flagship devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 12:32 AM
    The classic doesn't have that extra muscle the Passport has.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-15 01:20 AM
    You can wait for the octocore slider, or classic 2 passport 2.

I have a passport but run no android apps on it, I would probably pick up a octocore classic without toolbelt.

Try a leak first and even an autoloader so you're starting fresh. If it's still slow you have the passport or z30 as options.

10.3.2.5 is the best leak I've seen, and Ive been on leaks since february march 2013 so right from the start on a z10.

It honestly feels like a better normal os.
    04-25-15 10:26 AM