If they would have made the Classic (or any of the other BB10 devices) with 10.3.1 in 2007, we wouldn't even be talking about running Android apps. What's Android?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 05:01 PM
    Yep BlackBerry would be right behind Apple only RIM/ML's arrogance destroyed all carrier and retail relations with broken promises. Oh well time to move on. Hindsight will not correct BlackBerry future. It can only help JC on what not to do.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-04-15 at 07:25 PM.
    01-04-15 06:34 PM
    on a sidenote, is anyone using a Vaulty type of app, to hide pictures/video/docs? Is there a blackberry build one or are they only android base??
    Privacy Suite Pro what you're after?
    Privacy Suite Pro - Hide Files Folders SMS & Contacts - BlackBerry World
    01-04-15 06:52 PM
    i am using a bb 9720,i want to upgrade to classic but,can the android apps be played on it?? i came to know that there is some problem in 10.3.2 and apps can't be played. Will the android apps work fine ???
    02-06-16 12:57 PM
    i am using a bb 9720,i want to upgrade to classic but,can the android apps be played on it?? i came to know that there is some problem in 10.3.2 and apps can't be played. Will the android apps work fine ???
    Most of the more popular Android apps work perfectly on all BlackBerry 10 devices. The only issue reported at the moment is with the version of the Android Runtime within OS10.3.2.2876. The Android Runtime in that version of the OS is having issues fully deleting unused Android applications from the phone.

There is a work around that has been provided within the forums that requires a rollback of specific Android Runtime files.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=1058115

BlackBerry is aware of the issue and should be developing a fix.

Look! It's Zedzilla30!
    02-07-16 08:14 AM
    Mine can barely handle the amazon store app; it slowly works after crashing the first three times. And because it comes pre-installed, I can't re-install it (I never had an issue on Q10 nor Z30 though).

I was also trying to set up an eyefi card from my dslr and wouldn't connect. I tried uninstalling, and only the icon was deleted while the app remains in the appstore; when I try to delete it from there the whole thing crashes too.

I think I'll just stay away from android and stick to what works.

Saludos.
    02-07-16 01:07 PM
    Mine can barely handle the amazon store app; it slowly works after crashing the first three times. And because it comes pre-installed, I can't re-install it (I never had an issue on Q10 nor Z30 though).

I was also trying to set up an eyefi card from my dslr and wouldn't connect. I tried uninstalling, and only the icon was deleted while the app remains in the appstore; when I try to delete it from there the whole thing crashes too.

I think I'll just stay away from android and stick to what works.

Saludos.
    This is exactly what previous posters were talking about. The latest OS update unfortunately has a bug where you are unable to properly delete Android apps. When you try to reinstall an Android app that has only 'partially' been deleted, it results in the runtime crashing and it is a rather annoying bug to have been introduced this late in the game. As others have said, it is a known issue and should be fixed soon. In the meantime, there are fairly easy work-arounds.

Now, as a disclaimer, I will clearly say that this is only my opinion: anyone who chooses to use Android applications on their BB10 device should familiarize themselves with "sideloading". It is really quite simple to do and really helps to smooth many of the kinks out regarding running Android on BB10.

For one, Snap is a far cleaner interface to use than the Amazon app store. It runs as a native BB10 app and gives you access to the Google Play catalogue of apps. Once you sideload Snap, you're pretty much home free. You never have to bother with the Amazon app store for Android apps (and it's definitely clunky and clumsy for an app that comes preloaded on your phone as a 'solution' to the app gap - it's just bad). If you want to purchase a 'paid' app, just login to the Google Play website, purchase the app, and then it will be available for download in Snap.

Second, most problems that creep up within the Android runtime can be fixed by sideloading. Sometimes you will need to load an older version of an Android App that works better (Netflix on the Passport, for instance, if you don't want the picture cropped). And, most recently, you can fix the bug that has happened with the last OS update by sideloading the old Android .bar files easily found in these forums.

I almost think that they should have just left BB10 without an "official" way to load Android apps. Ports in BlackBerry World - OK. The Amazon app store however, is not that great of a product and for users that depend on this as their main source for apps, I can easily see how they would be put off and I think that it's a bit of an ugly thing to be a part of the rest of the OS. I'm not one of the users that thinks the runtime should just be removed as it has huge advantages to have it. However, I think that it should be left only to those who are brave enough to 'tinker' and not for the casual consumers as it has too many bugs like these.
    andy957 likes this.
    02-07-16 01:31 PM
    I'm a q10 user and when I use android apps from the play store my battery tends to die a million times faster, like when I'm using netflix, my phone must be plugged in to use it or else my phone would die in my hands, my phone also gets super hot when using android apps, is it the same for the classic? I've always been interested in getting one.

Pearl-Curve-Q10-
    02-07-16 05:53 PM
    Depends on the app. Some android apps definitely suck battery life quick, others don't. Also can be the constant polling for ads within the app.
    03-11-16 09:56 AM
34 12