I know that you think that but what I'm saying is that you are sadly fooled by marketing. The glass weave is nice, I like the way it looks and feels, but it's nothing special. No other company needed it to sell millions of phones. No other company talks about how they need it. Its an expensive way to make a "soft touch feeling surface" which can be accomplished fine with nice soft touch plastic.

I'm sorry but dropping your phone a lot and it not breaking is not a scientific way of testing the advantages of glass weave over soft touch plastic. And if you were ever going to drop your phone enough to get to the point where it was an issue, id suggest you get a case.

I'm on your side Slagman in preferring the soft touch plastic, but I'm not loosing my mind over it being gone. I'm not hung up on blackberry screwing me over on it. In the end it won't change much of anything for anyone except a few of their perceptions. And I'm saying that's silly.

Also remember the bold used to have leather, and then it had fiberglass / plastic, and then glass weave, and now soft touch. We were never promised a constant here. My only android phone had kevlar backing. Sadly it did not stop bullets. At least I don't think it did.

Posted via CB10
    Again, no insult intended, but there's no "marketing" at play here at all. I'm simply someone who actually has knowledge on materials and that's why it matters to me. I don't need any marketing to explain to me what something is. That's for people who don't know the difference between forged 304 stainless steel and that cheap chromed metal people put on everything to make the device appear premium...

And FYI, I never attributed my phone not being damaged due to the glass weave. I've only dropped my phone twice, and those are the two times. Once face down the other on the edge. I've never dropped it on its back. I was making a testament on BB's decision to use premium materials all around, not just the battery door. I was mainly talking about the Q10's stainless steel frame/bezel. I was just giving an example where premium materials might have a practical purpose. If it didn't then everything in the world should just be made out of plastic...

And regarding kevlar, it's a light-weight synthetic fabric. Kevlar in itself isn't "bullet proof." That's tv or video game stuff. The thing about kevlar is that since it is stronger than steel of the same weight, if you layer it together, when a blunt nosed bullet hits it (handgun rounds basically) the energy from the shot will be distributed outward, and it would be mostly absorbed by the fabric. You will absorb a lot of the energy too, but the thing it does is it keeps the bullet from penetrating. So while you'll likely sustain a terrible bruise and some broken ribs, at least you won't have a hole in you. Now a single sheet or kevlar, as used in phones and such, will not stop any bullet. The purpose of that is that it's stronger than steel of the same weight, so obviously that means it's much stronger than plastic of the same weight. So it serves about the same purpose as the glass weave, make for a backing that's light-weight but also strong at the same time.

Oh I forgot who I'm trying to explain this to... It's all plastic and all the same mystical unicorn stuff right?? -_-

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-14-14 10:41 AM
    Have they updated the hub to where it now reads minds and will automatically take you to where you wanted to go? I'll be honest, my BB10 devices have been gathering dust lately and I haven't bothered with the leaked updates in a longtime because my PC and Link don't get along. So it is possible that they have improved it without me knowing, but the Hub on my phones right now is still just dropping me off where ever I left off last, leaving me to potentially need to navigate to where I needed to go depending on what I was doing in the Hub last.

What OS version are you on?
    You guys seriously need to clean up your PC's. Everytime people talk about all of these problems they are having with programs, I don't have those problems. And we're all using the same Windows probably. The difference is I don't have a trillion things running in the background of mine that is likely causing most of your troubles...

Anyway, no it won't "read your mind" like BBOS obviously did, but if you're into a chain of messages you swipe to the right (as in the actual direction your thumb will move, so start from the left moving to the right) from the left arrow on the bottom left it brings you all the way back to the main hub... All you had to do was ask here in these forums and you would have found that out. And since getting into the hub is done in one gesture, the up and right, it could replace the step you need to take to exit the app you're in, which is pressing the end call button. So really, the number of steps is the same. Swipe up and right, then swipe right. Versus on BBOS you press end call, then press the icon to get into that one account.

Q10Bold likes this.
    09-14-14 10:53 AM
    Again, no insult intended, but there's no "marketing" at play here at all. I'm simply someone who actually has knowledge on materials and that's why it matters to me. I don't need any marketing to explain to me what something is. That's for people who don't know the difference between forged 304 stainless steel and that cheap chromed metal people put on everything to make the device appear premium...

And FYI, I never attributed my phone not being damaged due to the glass weave. I've only dropped my phone twice, and those are the two times. Once face down the other on the edge. I've never dropped it on its back. I was making a testament on BB's decision to use premium materials all around, not just the battery door. I was mainly talking about the Q10's stainless steel frame/bezel. I was just giving an example where premium materials might have a practical purpose. If it didn't then everything in the world should just be made out of plastic...

And regarding kevlar, it's a light-weight synthetic fabric. Kevlar in itself isn't "bullet proof." That's tv or video game stuff. The thing about kevlar is that since it is stronger than steel of the same weight, if you layer it together, when a blunt nosed bullet hits it (handgun rounds basically) the energy from the shot will be distributed outward, and it would be mostly absorbed by the fabric. You will absorb a lot of the energy too, but the thing it does is it keeps the bullet from penetrating. So while you'll likely sustain a terrible bruise and some broken ribs, at least you won't have a hole in you. Now a single sheet or kevlar, as used in phones and such, will not stop any bullet. The purpose of that is that it's stronger than steel of the same weight, so obviously that means it's much stronger than plastic of the same weight. So it serves about the same purpose as the glass weave, make for a backing that's light-weight but also strong at the same time.

Oh I forgot who I'm trying to explain this to... It's all plastic and all the same mystical unicorn stuff right?? -_-

OK slagman. I got your point. You know your materials. I'm in app development and I'm not assuming your 2 cents on software are irrelevant.

I understand what blackberry has told me about the glass weave and it sounds great 2 hours to make, premium blah blah. Please explain to me simply. How does the glass weave change anything about you and your experience with the device? Tell me why it's so important to be there over soft touch plastic in practical terms.

And if you tell me it's because it's strong although to lift an elephant, then I'm going to ask why you need your phone to lift an elephant. Like I said, practical terms.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 10:56 AM
    Anyway, no it won't "read your mind" like BBOS obviously did, but if you're into a chain of messages you swipe to the right (as in the actual direction your thumb will move, so start from the left moving to the right) from the left arrow on the bottom left it brings you all the way back to the main hub... All you had to do was ask here in these forums and you would have found that out. And since getting into the hub is done in one gesture, the up and right, it could replace the step you need to take to exit the app you're in, which is pressing the end call button. So really, the number of steps is the same. Swipe up and right, then swipe right. Versus on BBOS you press end call, then press the icon to get into that one account.

For the second time in this thread, I already know that!

Why do I need to keep repeating myself? With the Hub, you enter the hub, and then you may or may not need to navigate to the account you needed to go to. I've already said that numerous times in this thread now!

With the optional individual account icons, you tap once and go directly to the account you needed EVERY SINGLE TIME. Depending on the situation, that is an advantage in my opinion. Obviously it was an advantage to a lot of people on legacy OS. If it wasn't, than why do we see so many individual email account icons on home screens of the older BlackBerry devices? Why did people use that optional feature if only having the Hub/Messages was good enough?
    09-14-14 11:13 AM
    It's hard to beat the convenience of the convenience key assigned to "Messages", for ME. We are all wired differently. Some favor visual learning styles. Others favor audible, others tactile, etc., etc... Visually oriented folks will never fully understand tactile folks. They won't even WANT to. Inevitably, one crowd will tout their superiority over the other crowds and wonder why the other crowds are so suborn and "stupid" and... etc, etc,... You're asking people to ignore the cognitive "hard-wiring" they're born with!! And THEN wonder why they get defensive and frustrated at your insistence that they should adopt hard-wiring YOU were born with!! ???

I prefer the tactile feedback of physical keys. I shouldn't need to explain or excuse that. Capacitive touch, universally loved by the visual crowd, is utterly devoid of tactile feedback essential to MY brain's learning style. Touch HMI is utterly abhorrent to tactile oriented folks like me. Despite mastering Z&Q for over a year, I RARELY use the touch feature on my 99 (BBOS wasn't built with touch in mind) but I accept it's presence because i'm a tiny minority. We can debate the number of steps and number of seconds required to operate a phone BUT very few of us pick up a device with operating the device as primary priority. Many, if not most, use their device in furtherance of executing other priorities in life. I, for one, deeply resent ANY distraction from the real priority at hand. I particularly resent even a millisecond of distraction from the communications device.

True innovation doesn't happen on a schedule. The milliseconds and steps required to operate a communications device are utterly irrelevant compared with innovations forever lost due to distractions from a device demanding attention from an already overloaded part of MY brain. Your brain will obviously differ.

BB10 is revolutionary. For better and for worse. Like any revolution, they obviously discarded a decade of hard won evolutionary experience. That's to be expected and "Quantum" revolution is gradually re-incorporating features. Even though the Q20 "Classic" is about half of a half hearted attempt at applying some of the evolutionary experience discarded in the revolution, it will be a respectable device in it's own right. For the first time, we finally get the reliability of QNX along with a toolbelt! THAT is a leap forward any way it's looked at, IMO.
    09-14-14 12:08 PM

Why do I need to keep repeating myself? With the Hub, you enter the hub, and then you may or may not need to navigate to the account you needed to go to. I've already said that numerous times in this thread now!

With the optional individual account icons, you tap once and go directly to the account you needed EVERY SINGLE TIME. Depending on the situation, that is an advantage in my opinion. Obviously it was an advantage to a lot of people on legacy OS. If it wasn't, than why do we see so many individual email account icons on home screens of the older BlackBerry devices? Why did people use that optional feature if only having the Hub/Messages was good enough?
    ...and what we're (BlackBerry 10 converts) are trying to tell you that we also have that same ease of use...but without having to clutter the screen with multiple email account icons...if I'm using my Z30...then the 'toast notification' replaces all those icons with one simple tap...same place...same time involved every time...not just in a particular circumstance...if I'm away from the phone, then the lock screen will getting me to those emails...two quick taps and I'm in...again...the method is the same regardless of circumstance...and with those toast pop ups...with a SMS or BBM, we can reply on the spot without having to leave what we are doing...or switch apps etc...tap the reply button...type the message...send and you're back to your task...no swipes needed...

...and yes I have used BlackBerry OS, I noted the two OS 7.0/7.1's that I have owned...as well as all the OS's prior...and BlackBerry 10 just leaves them in the dust for getting to things...doing what you need to do and get on with something else...I don't have to tie up any convenience keys...or strategically place icons that pig out my home screen...

...which on that note makes me wonder how much honest time you put into a BlackBerry 10 device before giving up on it?...

Posted on CB10 via my Z30....
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-14-14 12:11 PM
    OK slagman. I got your point. You know your materials. I'm in app development and I'm not assuming your 2 cents on software are irrelevant.

I understand what blackberry has told me about the glass weave and it sounds great 2 hours to make, premium blah blah. Please explain to me simply. How does the glass weave change anything about you and your experience with the device? Tell me why it's so important to be there over soft touch plastic in practical terms.

And if you tell me it's because it's strong although to lift an elephant, then I'm going to ask why you need your phone to lift an elephant. Like I said, practical terms.

Posted via CB10
    If there was a discussion over app development, then I won't be the one that goes "who care what language that is coded in?" Because then I will be doing what I'm saying is foolish to do...

And about the advantage to the user, I am going to be using the phone for about 2 years, and I'll be spending hundreds of dollars on it. Are you really asking why I would prefer for it to be made out of durable materials versus made out of cheap fragile materials?

I look at my friends with their plastic phones and everything is scratched up, and I've seen plastic back doors crack and break before. And I've seen Samsungs with big dents in the surrounding bezel. I've had this Q10 since launch and there are exactly 2 visible scratches on the battery door. That's literally the only evidence that this phone is used...

Ask yourself, do you think that'll make a difference when I go to sell this phone on ebay? If I can list it in "very good" condition rather than "beat the hell up" condition like I would describe my friends' phones?

09-14-14 12:42 PM

And again, to repeat myself, count the steps. In BB10 to get out of an app and into your hub:
    1. Swipe up and right
    2. Swipe right on arrow

Or, if it's not left in a message chain:

1. Swipe up and right.

While in BBOS:
    1. Press end key to get back to home screen.
    2. Look to see which account you want
    3. Touch the icon for that account.

Even not within an app, you still need steps 2 and 3.

And honestly, any time you save in a BBOS phone you lose in how slow they are and in the random spinning clocks you get for no reason sometimes that sometimes go for a good 2 minutes and you have no way to bypass it...

Oh, but let me guess, yours never have that problem. I just happened to get a bunch of lemons back when I used BBOS devices...

Edit: But don't get me wrong, I'm not against them adding the option, I just don't really see the point of it, and if they did that, those icons would end up in my "useless" folder that I have for other redundant icons...

Q10Bold likes this.
    09-14-14 12:48 PM
    At the end of the day, having the option is still better than not having it. I'd love for someone to explain why having the option to add those icons to the home screen would be a bad thing. We already have an icon for SMS, why not have ability to add them for our email accounts as well?

But this is CrackBerry, where a lot of folks are in the habit of defending what ever BlackBerry is offering at the moment. Heck, wasn't too long ago that most folks here called dual core processors stupid and a waste of battery life and apps weren't needed. Given the option, I'd add those icons to my home screen like I did on previous BlackBerry devices. Of course if I were given the option, I'd also use themes, custom sound profiles, auto text in all applications and landscape mode, but oh well.

When you think about it, it really isn't all that surprising that a lot of folks decide to stick with their legacy devices.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    09-14-14 12:50 PM
    At the end of the day, having the option is still better than not having it. I'd love for someone to explain why having the option to add those icons to the home screen would be a bad thing. We already have an icon for SMS, why not have ability to add them for our email accounts as well?

But this is CrackBerry, where a lot of folks are in the habit of defending what ever BlackBerry is offering at the moment. Heck, wasn't too long ago that most folks here called dual core processors stupid and a waste of battery life and apps weren't needed. Given the option, I'd add those icons to my home screen like I did on previous BlackBerry devices. Of course if I were given the option, I'd also use themes, custom sound profiles, auto text in all applications and landscape mode, but oh well.

When you think about it, it really isn't all that surprising that a lot of folks decide to stick with their legacy devices.
    You can use shortcut creator - 3rd party app to add icons.
    All you BBOS holdouts - It's time to convert to the classic-img_20140914_201934.png

Posted via CB10
    Witmen and idssteve like this.
    09-14-14 01:19 PM
    It's hard to beat the convenience of the convenience key assigned to "Messages", for ME. We are all wired differently. Some favor visual learning styles. Others favor audible, others tactile, etc., etc... Visually oriented folks will never fully understand tactile folks. They won't even WANT to. Inevitably, one crowd will tout their superiority over the other crowds and wonder why the other crowds are so suborn and "stupid" and... etc, etc,... You're asking people to ignore the cognitive "hard-wiring" they're born with!! And THEN wonder why they get defensive and frustrated at your insistence that they should adopt hard-wiring YOU were born with!! ???

I prefer the tactile feedback of physical keys. I shouldn't need to explain or excuse that. Capacitive touch, universally loved by the visual crowd, is utterly devoid of tactile feedback essential to MY brain's learning style. Touch HMI is utterly abhorrent to tactile oriented folks like me. Despite mastering Z&Q for over a year, I RARELY use the touch feature on my 99 (BBOS wasn't built with touch in mind) but I accept it's presence because i'm a tiny minority. We can debate the number of steps and number of seconds required to operate a phone BUT very few of us pick up a device with operating the device as primary priority. Many, if not most, use their device in furtherance of executing other priorities in life. I, for one, deeply resent ANY distraction from the real priority at hand. I particularly resent even a millisecond of distraction from the communications device.

True innovation doesn't happen on a schedule. The milliseconds and steps required to operate a communications device are utterly irrelevant compared with innovations forever lost due to distractions from a device demanding attention from an already overloaded part of MY brain. Your brain will obviously differ.

BB10 is revolutionary. For better and for worse. Like any revolution, they obviously discarded a decade of hard won evolutionary experience. That's to be expected and "Quantum" revolution is gradually re-incorporating features. Even though the Q20 "Classic" is about half of a half hearted attempt at applying some of the evolutionary experience discarded in the revolution, it will be a respectable device in it's own right. For the first time, we finally get the reliability of QNX along with a toolbelt! THAT is a leap forward any way it's looked at, IMO.
    They really did ditch a lot of features BBOS users love. I was one of the loudest protectors when they failed to include homescreen one-button speed dialing in BB10 and other things. Luckily they added some of those things back. But overall I like the hub for communication and a lot of other things...

09-14-14 01:20 PM

I agree, they should have the option for sure. I guess if you're more used to doing it that way it would work better for you for how you use your phone. For how I use it, the hub is better. But everyone's usage is different...

Witmen likes this.
    09-14-14 01:22 PM
    You can use shortcut creator - 3rd party app to add icons.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140914_201934.png 
Views:	356 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	297849

Posted via CB10
    Thank you so much for the suggestion, I had never heard of this app. Do you use it yourself? If so what do you think of it?
    09-14-14 01:27 PM

Well said you Steve O. I agree the quick messages will be a hit with a tiny tiny minority of people, myself included.

Ironically, the only people I know who still use Blackberry devices also carry an iPhone/iPad with them most of the time. The Blackberry is just not sufficient as a business tool to stand on its own. I think those of us usiness types who use both are reliant on quick and more comprehensive messaging functions and the superior battery life. Nothing else holds me back from carrying my iPhone will me at all times. I mean what a fuc king joke Blackberry is dude- have you tried posting to Twitter? I tried uploading a picture the other day. After 6 attempts I just gave up. It's like trying to mow a football field with scissor. Technically possible but not practical.

Honestly, the only people I see using Blackberry these days are either the working poor who got an older device for free or the odd business person like myself.

They definitely won't survive another upgrade cycle unless that insider trading doooooooooshbag Prem Watsapp decides to sink more cash into it. He really fuc ked over the shareholders last night with that $9 buyout stunt. I dont' know how the hell he avoided the securities regulators on that one.

This horse is headed for the glue factory.
    09-14-14 01:31 PM
    Thank you so much for the suggestion, I had never heard of this app. Do you use it yourself? If so what do you think of it?
    I am using it for other shortcuts then email and I like it. There are some free shortcuts app in BBW, check them out. Maybe there is this feature included.

Posted via CB10
    Witmen likes this.
    09-14-14 01:35 PM
    Ok it works. Just checked it out.
    Here is another screenshot. You can choose every account that is in the hub(email, bbm, etc). And choose your own icon + name.
    The app :

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/19908873

BTW I'm using it for websites + custom icons. Works perfect. The contact to the dev is perfect too.

All you BBOS holdouts - It's time to convert to the classic-img_20140914_203601.png

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 01:38 PM
    Ok it works. Just checked it out.
    Here is another screenshot. You can choose every account that is in the hub(email, bbm, etc). And choose your own icon + name.
    The app :

Shortcut Creator - BlackBerry World

BTW I'm using it for websites + custom icons. Works perfect. The contact to the dev is perfect too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140914_203601.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	297850

Posted via CB10
    It sounds well worth the $2.99. I'm buying it! Lol
    09-14-14 01:53 PM
    Great app suggestion - thanks. Would love to see more helpful workflow suggestions like this in the forums. Less debate about features we guess might/might not be in the phone, and more actual advice about maximizing productivity/workflow/features of the phone.
    No problem. I'm happy that I could help you all out
    As you all can see, BB10 is really powerfull! We need more Devs, then our OS will be a really great BBOS + BB10 mix!

Btw I hope that someday there will be an option(Q10) to answer a phonecall by pressing keys(space or something else: Q W E R and decline with backspace or U I O P
    With 10.3 I don't need the trackpad anymore

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Q10Bold; 09-14-14 at 03:14 PM.
    idssteve likes this.
    09-14-14 02:11 PM
    They really did ditch a lot of features BBOS users love. I was one of the loudest protectors when they failed to include homescreen one-button speed dialing in BB10 and other things. Luckily they added some of those things back. But overall I like the hub for communication and a lot of other things...

Takes time and resources to code each feature. Given BB10's belated start, it's not surprising that they had to rush to market with what they had, when they had it. Telegraphing that those features are yet to come involves admitting they were missing to begin with. Corporate environments aren't necessarily known for admitting obvious truths.

I'm OK with hub and plan to return to it with my PassPort and Q20 "Classic", BUT i'm sure liking the convenience key to "Messages" feature for the next several months.
    09-14-14 02:20 PM
    No problem. I'm happy that I could help you all out
    As you all can see, BB10 is really powerfull! We need more Devs, then our OS will be a really great BBOS + BB10 mix!

Btw I hope that someday there will be an option(Q10) to answer a phonecall by pressing keys(space or something else: Q W E R and decline with backspace or U I O P

Posted via CB10
    Q and P are pretty easily found by feel...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    09-14-14 02:35 PM
    I can only speak for myself, but I handle my communication tasks far more efficiently on Android than I do on BB10. That is actually why I switched to Android as my primary device after I left the Bold behind.

With legacy OS you had the Messages (aka the hub), individual account icons and the drop down notification panel. It worked great. But with BB10 you are left to use the Hub and it is a step backwards and it slows me down.

With my Android device, I handle things so fast thanks to the notification panel that allows me to reply to, delete and archive messages. No need to enter the hub and hunt for the proper account. On top of that, I have individual account icons on my homescreen, toast notifications and native custom LED lights.

BlackBerry 7 was great for efficient communication, but BB10 still has some catching up to do before it meets my own personal needs.
    As a long time Android user (in addition to BlackBerry), I have to say that you either never knew how to properly use your BlackBerry devices, or you're just trolling. There is literally nothing about Android that makes it good at efficient communication. The notification panel is pathetic at best, crowded, poorly organized, just an overall mess. It does not even matter which flavor of Android you are using. Many custom launchers and other apps try to address these shortcomings, but they all fail to execute things right. CloudMagic is as good as it gets for a unified Inbox, but it too is a third party app. Don't get me started on duplicate notifications and such. Ugh, so frustrating.

Any BlackBerry device, including any BlackBerry 10 device, is generations ahead of Android when it comes to communication.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 04:10 PM
    As a long time Android user (in addition to BlackBerry), I have to say that you either never knew how to properly use your BlackBerry devices, or you're just trolling. There is literally nothing about Android that makes it good at efficient communication. The notification panel is pathetic at best, crowded, poorly organized, just an overall mess. It does not even matter which flavor of Android you are using. Many custom launchers and other apps try to address these shortcomings, but they all fail to execute things right. CloudMagic is as good as it gets for a unified Inbox, but it too is a third party app. Don't get me started on duplicate notifications and such. Ugh, so frustrating.

Any BlackBerry device, including any BlackBerry 10 device, is generations ahead of Android when it comes to communication.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with the notification panel on Android. I can't say my experience is the same as yours. I don't find the notification panel crowded or disorganized, but it isn't supposed to organize your messages anyway. It is only there to notify you of them as they are coming in and will also allow you to act on them. I've never had a single duplicate notification on any Android device. Not sure how you had that happen. I am very happy with how the notification panel works, but again, I can only speak for myself.

Out of curiosity, are you basing all of this dissatisfaction with the notification panel on your use of Samsung Galaxy whatever devices and other highly modified Android-based devices?
    09-14-14 05:15 PM
    Sorry to hear that you had such bad luck with the notification panel on Android. I can't say my experience is the same as yours. I don't find the notification panel crowded or disorganized, but it isn't supposed to organize your messages anyway. It is only there to notify you of them as they are coming in and will also allow you to act on them. I've never had a single duplicate notification on any Android device. Not sure how you had that happen. I am very happy with how the notification panel works, but again, I can only speak for myself.

Out of curiosity, are you basing all of this dissatisfaction with the notification panel on your use of Samsung Galaxy whatever devices and other highly modified Android-based devices?
    I second this. One thing I really liked about my android device when I had it was the notification system. I used only a slightly modified version of jelly bean. The Samsung galaxy s3 was really a bad software experience. I use it in the office for testing. It's notification panel was awful.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:33 PM
    If there was a discussion over app development, then I won't be the one that goes "who care what language that is coded in?" Because then I will be doing what I'm saying is foolish to do...

And about the advantage to the user, I am going to be using the phone for about 2 years, and I'll be spending hundreds of dollars on it. Are you really asking why I would prefer for it to be made out of durable materials versus made out of cheap fragile materials?

I look at my friends with their plastic phones and everything is scratched up, and I've seen plastic back doors crack and break before. And I've seen Samsungs with big dents in the surrounding bezel. I've had this Q10 since launch and there are exactly 2 visible scratches on the battery door. That's literally the only evidence that this phone is used...

Ask yourself, do you think that'll make a difference when I go to sell this phone on ebay? If I can list it in "very good" condition rather than "beat the hell up" condition like I would describe my friends' phones?

OK slagman. I'm done on this topic. I asked a pretty simple question on how the glass weave back changes the UX for you, and you basically said because "it's a better material so why wouldn't I want it" and "my phone never saw scratches like my friends so I like it better"...oh and "remember ebay. "

None of these address the point so I'll help you. It doesn't make a difference. We know it's more expensive and we are told it's more "premium" but it doesn't really make a difference in anything practical compared to soft touch plastic. It doesn't change the way you email or browse the web. It feels nice to your fingers and soft touch plastic will do the same.

I get that nicer materials are always better. But if the future of this series of devices and this company comes down to the cost of the products, then I'm not not going to lose sleep over one soft feeling surface over the other. And I don't know what your friends do with their phones but I don't typically encounter many devices that are as banged up as you say. If plastics can get astronauts into space then I can assume it's worthy enough to line the back of our phones.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 08:43 PM
    For all the threads with comments about woven glass vs a leather back similar to Bold vs plastic backing vs _ _ _ _, I've yet to learn much of anything but opinion what some random user wants to see.

I don't come to these forums to hear an opinion, but to learn something so I can make my own informed opinion to inform my purchasing decision. I don't know the first thing about woven glass, but I wish someone who knew about manufacturing processes and materials to pitch in some thoughts around the various backing materials Blackberry has used in its devices from the Bold and after, and what could inform Blackberry's decision to use/not use woven glass or some other material in the Q20/Classic.

Like you, I too am no more informed about the backing of the phone. All I hear are opinions when most people are asking for factual explanations to teach them something. There is really a dearth of useful information on this topic so far. Can ANYONE provide a good explanation?
    I second this. I would like to offer one small observation. I don't think there's been this glass weave on any BlackBerry device that had a fixed battery door. Maybe there's an issue bonding this material directly to the phone? The z30s oddly have a removable glass weave battery door but no removable battery. The most premium passport has no removable battery and no glass weave.

All observations. But I think worth pointing out.

Posted via CB10
    09-14-14 09:35 PM
448 ... 1011121314 ...