You can disagree all you want but the fact is, Blackberry phones do not command a $650+ dollar price.

No amount of marketing is gonna make the average Joe spend that kinda cash on a smartphone with no apps and lack of third party support. They already tried that with the Q10 and the Z10 and look how well that worked for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    Tool belts are for POWER users. "Average Joe" need not apply. Leaders are NOT "average".
    anon8091350 and smertz like this.
    07-06-14 06:21 AM
    Why would you automatically doubt there being no option to turn off touch screen features simply because it was not available on the 9900/30? We are talking about a whole new device!

Posted via Q10 (but I prefer the 9900)
    That option should be a "no brainer" but BBRY is still proving its brains, IMO. Here's to hoping!! We'll see when we see.
    07-06-14 06:36 AM
    Tool belts are for POWER users. "Average Joe" need not apply. Leaders are NOT "average".
    Very well said. Also, I always wonder about the IQ of average joes, young people and hipsters. In these times they are all using whatsapp, Facebook and messaging services. So why don't they get a Blackberry with a keyboard??? Like they love to phone with people. No, all you see are these hipsters and young people messaging with no limit on glass/touch devices. So much about average Joes.

The tool belt is really for POWER users who want getting thing done. Period. No hype. Just functionality we used to love of the legacy devices.
    07-06-14 06:48 AM
    Very well said. Also, I always wonder about the IQ of average joes, young people and hipsters. In these times they are all using whatsapp, Facebook and messaging services. So why don't they get a Blackberry with a keyboard??? Like they love to phone with people. No, all you see are these hipsters and young people messaging with no limit on glass/touch devices. So much about average Joes.

The tool belt is really for POWER users who want getting thing done. Period. No hype. Just functionality we used to love of the legacy devices.
    Yep, SOME of us have WORK to do. . "Average Joe" will ultimately follow a leader, tho. He will ultimately notice what power users are using. Belted BlackBerry is uniquely equipped to lead the way toward a more productive path, IMO.
    anon8091350 likes this.
    07-06-14 07:36 AM
    You can disagree all you want but the fact is, Blackberry phones do not command a $650+ dollar price.

No amount of marketing is gonna make the average Joe spend that kinda cash on a smartphone with no apps and lack of third party support. They already tried that with the Q10 and the Z10 and look how well that worked for them.

Well, I couldn't care less what other people buy, like, do, say, wish, etc. If they go that route and it works and the "average joe" buys it. Then great, they've won the average joe and lost me. I know I'm just one person, not at all claiming that will make any difference to them, just stating my opinion now like I was before...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    07-06-14 10:35 AM
    The restocked Bold 9900/30 is selling for $400, so be assured that the Classic is going to be priced well above that.
    Yep, I guess Pain will have to continue enjoying his Nexus. Oh well...

07-06-14 10:37 AM
    That option should be a "no brainer" but BBRY is still proving its brains, IMO. Here's to hoping!! We'll see when we see.
    A no brainer? Most of the functions of the OS require the use of the touchscreen, and most apps also require the use of the touchscreen. Moving a cursor around with the trackpad does not provide the same input as moving your finger across the screen... I don't get why you guys seem to not be able to comprehend doing more than one thing at a time. The touchscreen and the trackpad do separate things, and your "option" to turn off the touchscreen is simply by not touching it... You have control of your muscles, don't feel like using the touchscreen? Then don't... But the reason why the 9900 was so productive was because you had the option of both depending on the situation.

anon8091350 likes this.
    07-06-14 10:43 AM
    A no brainer? Most of the functions of the OS require the use of the touchscreen, and most apps also require the use of the touchscreen. Moving a cursor around with the trackpad does not provide the same input as moving your finger across the screen... I don't get why you guys seem to not be able to comprehend doing more than one thing at a time. The touchscreen and the trackpad do separate things, and your "option" to turn off the touchscreen is simply by not touching it... You have control of your muscles, don't feel like using the touchscreen? Then don't... But the reason why the 9900 was so productive was because you had the option of both depending on the situation.

Yeah, that might be how the Q20 gets implemented but, unless I'm really missing something, the only thing the 9900's touch does that its track doesn't is reposition the home screen rows. Once that was set, day one, I haven't needed, or wanted, the touch interface since. The 9900's touch interface is otherwise utterly redundant, afaik. ?? Is there something else the 9900's touch does that track won't???
    07-06-14 11:00 AM
    You & I have discussed this before, Slagman, & doubt we'll ever agree on this. I respect your experience and observations but please try to understand that the touch screen covers 40+% of the surface area on the front of the device. Capacitive touch requires zero pressure and zero displacement. Some of us manage to inadvertently touch things. I just unintentionally touched a link on the page coming to this thread. The back button got me back but irritating, none the less. Am I particularly uncoordinated? Maybe. I just know that everyone in my office is DESPARATE to disable the utterly redundant touch on our 9900. I, for one, would pay BIG $ for a NON-touch 9900-Q20. How hard would it be to just let us adequately adjust sensitivity or provide a check box?
    07-06-14 12:27 PM
    I'm just expressing an opinion I'm sure many of us share. I can't be the only one that hates staring at my phone like a dummy to make sure a call is properly hung up every time, lol. :-)

It's funny. I really don't mind the small delay when ending a call. I actually hate the delay opening the phone app. With the dedicated call button, the phone was readily available. I really liked that on the Legacy devices.
    wilber1 likes this.
    07-06-14 12:46 PM
    Kevin has stated that he's heard from an inside source that they did figure out what was causing that and their new devices will not have the issue... I haven't had that issue with my Q10 yet, luckily...

So what was causing the double typing???? And is there an effective solution?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    07-06-14 12:57 PM
    What sort of power users are we talking about here? I work in the healthcare industry and I can certainly tell you that almost all staff at my hospital use iphones and androids because they have a large ecosystem of applications that relate to the medical field. We can look up diseases and drugs within seconds.

The POWER users that you're probably talking about are the Blackberry loyalists that will buy anything that is thrown at them regardless of the price.

07-06-14 01:23 PM
    What sort of power users are we talking about here? I work in the healthcare industry and I can certainly tell you that almost all staff at my hospital use iphones and androids because they have a large ecosystem of applications that relate to the medical field. We can look up diseases and drugs within seconds.

The POWER users that you're probably talking about are the Blackberry loyalists that will buy anything that is thrown at them regardless of the price.

How many spreadsheets do you edit per day? Try selecting and editing 100+ cells per day and then tell me how great your non-track glass device is. Its really comforting to know the last person you called might be listening to our private medical conversation because your glass device failed to interpret an "end" gesture. ?? I could go on...

If I were just a "...BlackBerry loyalist that will buy anything that is thrown at..." me, why am I still using 9900? Is price really your priority criteria?
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-06-14 at 02:04 PM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    07-06-14 01:42 PM
    You & I have discussed this before, Slagman, & doubt we'll ever agree on this. I respect your experience and observations but please try to understand that the touch screen covers 40+% of the surface area on the front of the device. Capacitive touch requires zero pressure and zero displacement. Some of us manage to inadvertently touch things. I just unintentionally touched a link on the page coming to this thread. The back button got me back but irritating, none the less. Am I particularly uncoordinated? Maybe. I just know that everyone in my office is DESPARATE to disable the utterly redundant touch on our 9900. I, for one, would pay BIG $ for a NON-touch 9900-Q20. How hard would it be to just let us adequately adjust sensitivity or provide a check box?
    Well if you're worried about inadvertent touches, but it seems like some of the people commenting about it seem like they just don't like using touchscreens which is what I'm referring to.

Mr4aces likes this.
    07-06-14 05:11 PM
    It's funny. I really don't mind the small delay when ending a call. I actually hate the delay opening the phone app. With the dedicated call button, the phone was readily available. I really liked that on the Legacy devices.
    Yes, that too, I just get more annoyed by the hang up delay. But both buttons are definitely greatly missed.

07-06-14 05:12 PM
    So what was causing the double typing???? And is there an effective solution?

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    I don't know, he didn't go into specifics, but something in the design was either wearing out, getting dirty, or whatever. I honestly don't care what the cause is as long as the new ones are definitely fixed. Just as long as the feel of the keys are the same.

Mr4aces likes this.
    07-06-14 05:15 PM

My sister uses Epocrates, and the android version works perfectly on these devices. I haven't tried any others though.

07-06-14 05:17 PM
    How many spreadsheets do you edit per day? Try selecting and editing 100+ cells per day and then tell me how great your non-track glass device is. Its really comforting to know the last person you called might be listening to our private medical conversation because your glass device failed to interpret an "end" gesture. ?? I could go on...

If I were just a "...BlackBerry loyalist that will buy anything that is thrown at..." me, why am I still using 9900? Is price really your priority criteria?
    I don't mean to sound rude or anything but you should probably state what you do for a living because you're telling me what goes on at my work. If you're also a healthcare professional and use medical apps to assist you in your day to day duties then I apologize and will take what you said into consideration.

My general point (what I said in my initial post and what some others are saying on here too) is once again, that Blackberry should price these devices aggressively. Otherwise, the consumer will turn away. We've seen this with the poor sales of the first generation bb10 devices and I have a feeling it will happen with the Classic as well. Unless of course Blackberry does what they did with the Z3 and price the handsets aggressively.
    07-06-14 05:19 PM
    I don't mean to sound rude or anything but you should probably state what you do for a living because you're telling me what goes on at my work. If you're also a healthcare professional and use medical apps to assist you in your day to day duties then I apologize and will take what you said into consideration.

My general point (what I said in my initial post and what some others are saying on here too) is once again, that Blackberry should price these devices aggressively. Otherwise, the consumer will turn away. We've seen this with the poor sales of the first generation bb10 devices and I have a feeling it will happen with the Classic as well. Unless of course Blackberry does what they did with the Z3 and price the handsets aggressively.
    Well, I apologize if I came across as rude. It should be pointed out that you first mentioned your profession yourself. On retrospect, my expansion on that was admittedly less cordial than your service deserves. Please accept my apologies.

I can safely expose that I am a EE working out of an office specializing in industrial controls. Our BlackBerrys are essential to real time coordination, data collection, customer interactions, etc, etc.

We lost a BIG $ customer to failure of a coworker to successfully implement "end" on her BB10 device. That customer listened to the conversation for a while before calling me. His concern was that his competitors might have just as easily overheard his proprietary configurations. My comment about patient privacy with glass devices was an extrapolation of that experience.

I guess what I'm failing to grasp is that without suitable app for your profession, would you purchase any BB10 device if it were only $1 ??
    Last edited by idssteve; 07-06-14 at 06:00 PM.
    07-06-14 05:45 PM
    I guess what I'm failing to grasp is that without suitable app for your profession, would you purchase any BB10 device if it were only $1 ??
    Absolutely. Like I said, apps are tools that can supplement your knowledge and sometimes help you get things done quicker. Blackberry doesn't have the apps but they can probably offer something else in return, a trade off.

Would I sacrifice how quickly and efficiently I sometimes get things done at work in order to carry Blackberry? Sure I would, if the price was right.
    07-06-14 06:28 PM
    Let's just hope it's priced appropriately because anything over $500 and it'll never be adopted by legacy hold-outs at significant numbers.

Zed's Red
    07-06-14 06:48 PM
    Absolutely. Like I said, apps are tools that can supplement your knowledge and sometimes help you get things done quicker. Blackberry doesn't have the apps but they can probably offer something else in return, a trade off.

Would I sacrifice how quickly and efficiently I sometimes get things done at work in order to carry Blackberry? Sure I would, if the price was right.
    They do have the apps, that's old news.

While the android run-time isn't perfect on 10.2.1, it's going to get a whole lot better come the fall.

Zed's Red
    07-06-14 06:55 PM

So, since you don't already own a Z3, what you seem to be wanting is an entry level, consumer priced, qwerty/trackpad device. I can sympathize with that desire but Chen's "flagship" comments just don't indicate the Q20 would be that device, IMO.
    07-06-14 07:36 PM
    I dont see a toolbelt as powertool. Its just a convinient way to interact with your device. I bet there is a lot of people that dont like dedicated hardware keys. I myself do like them if they have reasonable possition (like Classic).

Posted via CB10
    07-07-14 12:59 AM
    the Classic is going to be one phenomenal device... proper four row keyboard (i miss you shift key!!!!) and hopefully a whopper of a battery.... can we all pray for a 2800mAh minimum?! <quietly hopeful>

from an australian Z10...
    Everybody wants a longer battery life, but be careful what you wish for.

Read about my cancer from cell phones on BBM Channel C003DB0B0.

--------------------

I was all happy when JC announced the Q20 would be called the Classic after the 9900. Now they show pictures with a Q10 keyboard and Q10 specs. Why call it a Classic without the ergonomic keyboard with Q10 specs?

They just don't get it! Do it right or just make a better mother board and replacement lens/camera for the 9900.

-------------------
    Yes, Slagman I know Q10 keyboard. I have read you posting on the short cuts. You are the king on speed typing on the Q10. And I don't mean it sarcastically. If the Classic comes out with the Q10 keyboard I will go back and read all your postings just so I can find the one about your short cuts or you can just post it again as a new thread on speed typing.

Btw I read every one of your and Steve's (idssteve) posting. We all share the same passion.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 07-07-14 at 10:00 AM.
    07-07-14 09:21 AM
93 1234