Loaded Gnewsreader via Feedly works great.

Wish it supported FB and multiple Twitter accounts.

It does support multiple BBM channels

Can't share at the same time.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-11-15 at 06:09 AM.
    01-11-15 05:11 AM
    Loaded Gnewsreader via Feedly works great.

Wish it supported FB and multiple Twitter accounts.

It does support multiple BBM channels

Can't share at the same time.

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    If you have a request for the dev ask him here. He has done a few for me and he's very responsive

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=767030

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-11-15 08:54 AM
    Just posted right behind you on that thread.

I also asked him if he could (or if is it possible) write an app to pair the Q10 with the Classic to access and send emails/MMS-SMS without phone service.

Just think carry a passport/tablet/main phone in an holster/purse and carry the Q10 in you pocket.
    01-11-15 11:45 AM
    Between feedminder and that Feedly app which is better? Both seem to have active devs

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 04:19 PM
    Between feedminder and that Feedly app which is better? Both seem to have active devs

Posted via CB10
    Edit: Gnewsread (Feedly) is way better, but no provision for FaceBook. You can feed 1 Twitter and multiple BBM channels. Doesn't let you do it at the same time, but it is easy to repeat. If you have more that 1 Twitter account it does not allow you to switch between account. You have to live with the initial setup. It does not search for RSS feeds so you have to know the url to in put the RSS feed. How I do it is I use my Twitter account and follow the link then I open the page in Gnewsreader. GNR then list the main RSS page url. You approve the url and slect where you want the feed to show up. You can also create new folders.

I can see why no FB. Normally FB are personal accounts. I set up one account years ago so I could keep my buz separate. They don't let you do this now, if you want specialized group you have to build it off your personal page.

He is going to work on multiple accounts.

Just think OS7 did all this plus more. I have to consolidate and throttle back which is not a bad thing. OS7 allowed for 10 email accounts no big deal I handle the multiple address by forwarding them. When there is only 5 in reality you only have 3, because 2 of them are Gmail and Hotmail.

Look at @goducksme on twitter 1/2 the feeds done with that app

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-11-15 at 06:42 PM.
    01-11-15 04:50 PM
    Now after 4 weeks on the Classic I'm fine with a combination of Qwery and gesture. I'm 90% there don't think I will get any faster. I'm getting use to the weight and balance I'm ok with not being able to walk and type one handed due to gestures with the left hand.

The biggest difference Bold9900 vs Classic, besides the internal hardware is the OS. Don't get me wrong BB10.3 is way better than BB10.1 or 10.2, but it is still not quite there. Maybe by 10.5 it gets there.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-11-15 at 10:23 PM.
    01-11-15 05:56 PM
    I'm ok with not being able to walk and type one handed due to gestures with the left hand.
    Just curious -- do you use screen gestures for almost everything relating to navigating/text editing/selecting, or a mix of gestures and buttons? Which gestures are you using most often? And are you finding that the screen gestures are quicker or better than toolbelt navigation and selection?

From a Z30
    01-11-15 08:35 PM
    Just curious -- do you use screen gestures for almost everything relating to navigating/text editing/selecting, or a mix of gestures and buttons? Which gestures are you using most often? And are you finding that the screen gestures are quicker or better than toolbelt navigation and selection?

From a Z30
    On the Classic you are forced to use a combination of Qwerty and gesture. Swiping down, down, left and right. Because the BB10 is not like the OS7 the menu doesn't have as good of a menu as th OS7. That is what makes the Bold/9900 the fastest typing mobile device. Your thumbs do not have to touch the screen. Cut and paste is a pain on BB10.

If I had a choice the Classic would have the hub of the BB7 not a mixture of gesture and qwerty. I have said many times RIM made a mistake when it enter the touch screen market. I think they should have initially gone down two paths with the software then merge them down the road. The way it is now 9900 users are having a problem getting away from their phone because it still works so good for texting and emails. RIM made it that good.

Here we are 2015 one year since John Chen took over and look how far BlackBerry has come. A lot to over come for a company that was losing billions. No today the Classic is not a 9900 but it is better in a lot of ways.

I accept the cons:
    No removable battery
    No contact charging
    No convince key
    No lighted track button
    No ergonomic key board
    No OS7 hub
    No BBM like BBM7

After having a Classic I now understand the reason for the straight key board. Must be to stabilize the keys with the metal frets.

This is a good Qwerty device and the OS will keep improving.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-15 09:10 PM
    Because the Classic is a little heavy, I ordered a leather holster on Ebay for a Z10/Z30 $10.66. It has elastic sides so it will fit the Classic even with a soft case and ear phones with a 90 degree pin.

After having the Classic for 3 weeks BB is slowly convincing me the transition to BB10 isn't so bad.-holster_med.jpg
    Since the Classic does not have a removable battery I purchased a 2600mAh iFlash external battery, Did not work properly so I return it to Amazon and ordered a Anker 10,000mAh External Battery $25.99. Works great on all mobile devices.
    After having the Classic for 3 weeks BB is slowly convincing me the transition to BB10 isn't so bad.-anker110k_med.jpg
    It fits in the leather case so I think I will order another case. This will work great when I'm away from home for more than 8 hours. I will put it on the same side when charging with a 12" jumper.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-11-15 at 10:30 PM.
    01-11-15 10:12 PM
    So there's still a difference in keyboard after all...I have gotten the impression that the Classic keyboard is actually BETTER than the 9900...guess that is not the case

Posted via CB10
    I prefer the classic keyboard over the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-12-15 11:26 AM
    My battery life is improving from the first two weeks. I don't know if I'm using it less or the way I'm charging it. 6am to 1pm 68% left.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 03:59 PM
    I'm with others when it comes to battery life. I'm getting over 24 hrs on average with the same amount of usage I was doing with my Z10. With the Z10 I'd either have to swap or put the phone on a charger within 5-6 hrs.

For instance today I unplugged the phone at 9AM and at this point 1037PM I'm at 45%...and today has been at average amount of usage.

Coming from the Z10 to Classic it's been night and day for me.

Posted via CB10 on the FrankUnderwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    I agree. Battery life on the Z10 was abysmal. I carried 3 spare batteries with me when I traveled...

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-14-15 11:08 PM
    There might be only a few people that loved the 9900 as much as I do.

I have to say after almost one month on this phone I'm liking it better especially after loading BB10.3.2072. The Hub is the only thing that slow this phone down. I think people that never used the 9900 will say the Classic is the best phone ever.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-15 06:36 PM
    Don't know must be heavy user. Remember I have my battery save mode set up for 30% not 20% don't want to take chance until this battery issue is resolved

I'm carrying a mobile charger when away from home, but haven't used it yet.
    I run on Battery Saving on my Z30 24/7. It has no effect on performance unless I'm trying to run an emulator or intense games.

You should try the same got a few days and see how it goes.

BlackBerry Z30 Chenpion
    01-21-15 06:22 AM
    After having the Classic for 3 weeks BB is slowly convincing me the transition to BB10 isn't so bad.-img_20150120_125219.png
    After having the Classic for 3 weeks BB is slowly convincing me the transition to BB10 isn't so bad.-img_20150120_125239.png

It's improving.

Screen shot taken yesterday. I don't get as good of a battery life because I'm a heavy user.

I have a 10,000mAh battery for back up and use 2 holsters with a short jumper if I'm going to be gone more than 8 hours or playing cards.

I'm trying out a battery app to see it it helps. So far I haven't notice any difference.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-15 06:36 AM
    I agree. Battery life on the Z10 was abysmal. I carried 3 spare batteries with me when I traveled...

Posted via CB10 using my Passport
    3 batteries a day were pretty much my standard business day setup with the Z10.
    Worst battery life of every phone I ever had. At least it felt like that.

Glad to see that they didn't cheap out on the Classic, in that regard.

Also glad to see, that the OP actually starts to somewhat like BB10, despite the love-hate relationship and the complicated start.
    TgeekB likes this.
    01-22-15 07:20 AM
    With Z10 they actually tried to be more like iPhone, thin and light. The result is small battery and poor battery life.

The newer BlackBerry phone they are more concerned with battery life. Hence thicker and heavier phone, but good battery life.

Productive people would loved the newer BlackBerry phone but people who loves thin and light phone would not...

Posted via CB10
    01-25-15 07:20 PM
    3 batteries a day were pretty much my standard business day setup with the Z10.
    Worst battery life of every phone I ever had. At least it felt like that.

Glad to see that they didn't cheap out on the Classic, in that regard.

Also glad to see, that the OP actually starts to somewhat like BB10, despite the love-hate relationship and the complicated start.
    With Z10 they actually tried to be more like iPhone, thin and light. The result is small battery and poor battery life.

The newer BlackBerry phone they are more concerned with battery life. Hence thicker and heavier phone, but good battery life.

Productive people would loved the newer BlackBerry phone but people who loves thin and light phone would not...

Posted via CB10
    The transition could been done 2-3 years ago if BB10 would have not been rushed out the door. And yes, I'm adapting to BB10 not quite there but it will get better.

Takes a while to get use to the heavier Classic vs Bold, over time I don't notice it.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-26-15 at 01:30 AM.
    01-25-15 07:45 PM
    I can't help but wonder why they would have a non-removable battery on the Classic though despite hardware/physical limitations on design

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk
    01-26-15 12:51 AM
    All the 99 users voiced our opinion(s) for a removable battery. After seeing the You Tube video it is not going to be easy replacing the fixed battery. I have just learned to work around it and other quarks I don't like. It is what it is and 99er have no choice if we want to move on.
    01-26-15 01:33 AM
    On the Classic you are forced to use a combination of Qwerty and gesture. Swiping down, down, left and right. Because the BB10 is not like the OS7 the menu doesn't have as good of a menu as th OS7. That is what makes the Bold/9900 the fastest typing mobile device. Your thumbs do not have to touch the screen. Cut and paste is a pain on BB10.

If I had a choice the Classic would have the hub of the BB7 not a mixture of gesture and qwerty. I have said many times RIM made a mistake when it enter the touch screen market. I think they should have initially gone down two paths with the software then merge them down the road. The way it is now 9900 users are having a problem getting away from their phone because it still works so good for texting and emails. RIM made it that good.

Here we are 2015 one year since John Chen took over and look how far BlackBerry has come. A lot to over come for a company that was losing billions. No today the Classic is not a 9900 but it is better in a lot of ways.

I accept the cons:
    No removable battery
    No contact charging
    No convince key
    No lighted track button
    No ergonomic key board
    No OS7 hub
    No BBM like BBM7

After having a Classic I now understand the reason for the straight key board. Must be to stabilize the keys with the metal frets.

This is a good Qwerty device and the OS will keep improving.

Posted via CB10
    I think I agree with much of what you're saying here. I've come from the 9900, and started using the Classic just under 2 weeks ago. After 2 days, I would happily have thrown the Classic into the bin, and much swearing was caused.

By now, I've reached a similar sort of conclusion as you, Mr4aces - that the Classic is a very sound piece of hardware, but that the OS needs a fair bit of work yet to bring it up to the sheer ease of use, speed and slickness that are/were so intuitive on the 9900. Worth adding that I only came to Blackberry at all in 2013(!), and coming from Nokia Symbian it was transformational - the easiest learning-curve I've had with a piece of technology since, err, I learned how to put bread in my toaster...

On the credit side...
    • Battery life looking good now it's bedded in - although still not 100% comfortable about having fixed battery
    • Keyboard I'm finding as good as 9900 (can't decide which is better)
    • Main reasons I had to move on from BBOS7, like incompatible websites and non-displayable e-mails, are addressed by OS10
    • Keyboard shortcuts work well to activate apps

However, some things definitely need work - and I very much hope that they will be picked up in future software updates:
    • General use via toolbelt and trackpad - they are pretty much the point of the Classic (some would argue of Blackberry!) - nothing wrong with having the option of using a touchscreen, but I shouldn't be forced to use it. For example, I don't think it's possible to format text in an e-mail (e.g. bold, italic etc. - a new feature in OS10 of course) without moving my fingers up from the keyboard to the touchscreen. There are many other examples, in core functions, not just third-party apps. As the OP has said, for many people (of course not everybody) the 9900-style toolbelt-and-trackpad menu navigation was as quick and easy a way to work as you can get. The Classic has the hardware - now time to make the software match!
    • Especially in browser (but not only), the trackpad cursor sometimes gets 'stuck' so you have to interrupt what you're doing to touch the screen to 'release' it. This, again, slows you down...
    • Accents on the keyboard (i.e. foreign characters) - OS10 is not terrible, but better on OS7 (against that, OS10 word substituion can be impressive e.g. in putting correct accents on Czech place names!)
    • It doesn't seem to be possible to assign the currency key to one's local currency (e.g. I am in GB so would want �) - unless I'm wrong on that, that's a failing and I'd expect that to be rectified on an OS update.
    • Missing keyboard shortcuts - the one that really jars is zooming in and out of maps. This is primarily a fault of the Maps app - but what were BB thinking of in releasing the Classic with a Maps app with no Zoom shortcut!?! Pinching on a BB screen is not just a pain because you can't see what you're doing, it's also not optimal when you're tracking your location, because pinching causes it to stop tracking it - and re-selecting (by touchscreen!!) the location resets the zoom...!
    • Same applies in the camera. Again is it just me or is there no way of zooming without obliterating with two fingers the screen you're trying to frame a photo on?
    • Some apps have options it doesn't seem possible to reach by the trackpad and toolbelt (although not as many as I at first thought - the toolbelt options work a little differently from OS7, but that isn't necessarily a problem of course) - see above re formatting text only via touchscreen.
    • Lock doesn't seem sensible: on the one hand it locks automatically after a while, even if you just place it on your desk and would not normally bother locking your phone... but on the other hand when you lock it to carry the phone in your pocket, it can unlock all too easily because (a) the middle (pause) button is by default set to activate BB Assistant even in locked state, and (b) bizarrely, it seems to be possible to activate the camera via the touchscreen even when the phone is otherwise locked (I mean, why?!?).
    • Sensitivity of the touchpad is unpredictable - in the browser or in a lump of text it works by and large well, and in accordance with the sensitivity levels set up via Settings; but on other menus it can dart all over the place at a moment's notice - and then take some shifting again!
    • Inability to charge when powered off. I believe this is a recognised bug in the OS; doubtless it'll get sorted - it's not a major problem as generally one won't power the phone down completely anyway overnight.
    • Doesn't seem to be possible to change the sensitivity of the touchscreen, unlike on the 9900. A surprising omission (unless of course I'm wrong - like a lot of this post!) - as a non-touchscreen-fan I would want to turn this right down so I avoid accidental activations.
    • Some odd behaviour occasionally - once somehow when writing a Reminder memo the phone decided that whenever I pressed "V" it would paste the content of the clipboard. I couldn't stop it from doing this again and again - without rebooting the phone! Now obviously I'm familiar with Ctrl+V from Windows, but I wasn't even aware such a shortcut has ever existed for BB. And when wanting to paste since then I've never been able to reproduce the behaviour! Very odd indeed. Anyone got any ideas?
    • On one occasion I was playing an MP3 while on a bus, and whenever I locked the phone to put it in my pocket, the sound started to distort - then went normal again when the phone was active. And distorted again as soon as I locked it again... Annoying! This seems to have been a one-off incident - I hope!
    • The media player itself is visually a bit of a mess - makes bad use of screen space with lots of empty space, while not showing track names and numbers in full. This is a particular problem obviously for things like radio series with long names which tell you which individual episode you're listening to. The 9900 would automatically scroll the name when highlighted - again, just so logical and intuitive! Classic needs to learn to do this sort of thing.
    • Something very funny going on in Word Substitution! Many of the substittutions which are there and working are not actually shown - though some are. This is not a problem 90% of the time - but sometimes it is: for example traditionally on a BB "hel" will become "he'll" ("he will"), whereas now that combination doesn't do anything, but "hell" (which you might want to type as a proper word for an unpleasant hot place!) does now substitute into "he'll". That would be a minor niggle but for the fact that this particular substituion is one of the ones invisible in the Word Substitution list! Really odd - and in need of attention. (The other problem, substitutions I'm used to from BBOS7 missing from OS10, is much less serious because they can be added manually and work OK). Anyone know where the hidden ones are hiding, by any chance?

Now I'll repeat and emphasise that I've only been using the Classic for less than 2 weeks - so I might well be wrong on plenty of the above! If I am, and there are ways around the things I've noted above, I'd be really grateful for the info.

I certainly don't hate the Classic, and I think I can live with it if it behaves itself - but I equally certainly don't love it yet, the way I think I do/did my old 9900.

Maybe others who've come from the 9900 have had similar experiences? From other posts, it looks that way.

If so, I really hope that BB will listen to what's probably quite a lot of people in the target market for the Classic who, like me, think that the Classic is basically a good product for 'proper' Blackberry use (i.e. not trying to ape Apple or Android entertainment-based phones) - but that BB need to do some more work on the software side to allow it to unfold its true potential. I'm sure it has got that potential.

Thanks in advance for any advice, by the way, and thanks for listening...!
    Last edited by 37201xoIM; 01-28-15 at 03:33 PM.
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-28-15 03:19 PM
    5-6 hours battery life? What do you do on it? Mine lasts a whole day without any difficulties...

 Classic
    Likely highly variable. I get fairly bad battery life on my Passport (considering is has such a large battery), only because I am in an area where T-Mobile has pretty weak coverage. One of many factors.
    01-28-15 03:43 PM
    However, some things definitely need work !
    Good list, confirms much of what I found also, thanks.
    01-28-15 04:29 PM
    Thanks. Sorry, hadn't read yours.

To state the obvious, there's no difficulty in doing things differently, if it makes things better - but I think the reality is that for the Classic they've only partly retro-engineered the OS to cope with the hardware. I would very much hope, as I say, that future updates will make better use of the hardware. It has the potential to be a good piece of kit - hopefully more work from BB will mean we're in future not so much "working around" as "working better"...
    VeryBumpy likes this.
    01-28-15 05:12 PM
    @3701

Well said. I couldn't have said better

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 08:11 PM
75 123