If you know me, I'm one of the naysayers of BB10. The Classic came already loaded with BB10.3.1 that takes "most" the bugs out. The Classic will never be what its' big brother (9900) because of the ergonomic keyboard, removable battery and the OS7 hub, but the gap is getting closer. I would say I can type about 80% and in 2 months maybe 90% that is good enough to offset the battery pulls and having to carry 2 spares.

Oh, I still use my 9900 on WIFI when I'm laying in bed for forums and texting, but the rest of the day the Classic is in my main mobile device.

I just wish I could get more life than 5-6 hours battery life.

So for all the people on the fence, I say you won't be sorry.

I also want to thank all the people that have assisted me during these 3 weeks.
    01-04-15 07:51 PM
    Good to hear,
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-04-15 08:14 PM
    Kudos for taking the chance, and being able to admit you like it after all.

Many wouldn't.
    knownastron, Mr4aces and ponpiri like this.
    01-04-15 08:19 PM
    So there's still a difference in keyboard after all...I have gotten the impression that the Classic keyboard is actually BETTER than the 9900...guess that is not the case

Posted via CB10
    01-04-15 08:39 PM
    So there's still a difference in keyboard after all...I have gotten the impression that the Classic keyboard is actually BETTER than the 9900...guess that is not the case

Posted via CB10
    Keyboards are a very personal thing. Some prefer the 9900, others the Classic, and some the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    knownastron, Carmels and Mr4aces like this.
    01-04-15 08:45 PM
    I thought I read somewhere that a straight KB is faster typing on it as opposed to an ergonomic KB

From Classic
    01-04-15 09:10 PM
    Thanks for posting. Great to hear you made the transition, and have had a positive experience. If I may suggest one thing since you are coming straight from a Legacy device. I don't know if this happens to everyone but it has on all of my BB10 devices. On occasion, I will stop receiving my email for no reason. Not from all my accounts, just a few. I realize this after an hour or so and just turn on airplane mode, and then turn it off. Then all my email runs perfectly again. I generally have to do this a few times a week and I am not sure why. Funny that I have never seen a post about this issue so perhaps it is isolated but it happens on both wifi and Lte. Just throwing it out there since it can't hurt and only takes a second. Enjoy the classic!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-04-15 09:24 PM
    Thanks for posting. Great to hear you made the transition, and have had a positive experience. If I may suggest one thing since you are coming straight from a Legacy device. I don't know if this happens to everyone but it has on all of my BB10 devices. On occasion, I will stop receiving my email for no reason. Not from all my accounts, just a few. I realize this after an hour or so and just turn on airplane mode, and then turn it off. Then all my email runs perfectly again. I generally have to do this a few times a week and I am not sure why. Funny that I have never seen a post about this issue so perhaps it is isolated but it happens on both wifi and Lte. Just throwing it out there since it can't hurt and only takes a second. Enjoy the classic!
    I have met the same problem twice when using Q10 and once after getting Classic. Very occasionally! And I find this happened just when change the net from WiFi to LTE or vice versa.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces and RJurman like this.
    01-05-15 12:15 AM
    Thanks for the advice. And yes it happen the second day, but with all the up loading and changing so many settings I thought I just made a settings error. I had to delete and add the email accounts to get it back then check the server. I'll try the airplane mode.

The more I use the Classic the more I'm liking the combination of track and gesture functions. It will take some getting use to for muscle memory to take over, but Rome wasn't built in a day.

The weight only affects typing when laying on your back as it's a little top heavy. Typing while sitting takes some getting use to vs the 9900. My hands are small and with the recently amputated index finger tip it's difficult to type one hand due the size, weight and injured finger. Maybe after the finger heals and I get use to the weight I'll be able to multi-function. That is another place where the 9900 shines so I can "now" see why OP love their Q10's. This "might" be a better solution to my back up vs 9900.

Tip to OS7 users it to try to review the tutorials once a day to prevent bad habits and to learn different combinations of old and new.

Really I'm impressed with the quality for $450 vs $699 3-4 years ago. To do it right you really need to spend another $100 for things like holster, screen protectors, mobil charger, apps..... (why is there no repeat function by holding down a key?)

I'm hoping the BB does fix and continues to update BB10 OS that were lost in OS7. I'd say it's 90% there. Time will tell. At lest we know there won't be any broken promises or abandonment under John Chen.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-05-15 at 07:50 AM.
    01-05-15 07:32 AM
    5-6 hours battery life? What do you do on it? Mine lasts a whole day without any difficulties...

 Classic
    01-05-15 09:23 AM
    5-6 hours battery life? What do you do on it? Mine lasts a whole day without any difficulties...

 Classic
    Don't know must be heavy user. Remember I have my battery save mode set up for 30% not 20% don't want to take chance until this battery issue is resolved

I'm carrying a mobile charger when away from home, but haven't used it yet.
    01-05-15 10:15 AM
    Ah, so you are saying 5-6 hours till you get to the 30% battery saver?

I'm sure you are probably aware, but the Battery Monitor is glitchy and running the Classic to 0% a few times before charging is preferred to 'break in' the battery.
    01-05-15 10:58 AM
    Ah, so you are saying 5-6 hours till you get to the 30% battery saver?

I'm sure you are probably aware, but the Battery Monitor is glitchy and running the Classic to 0% a few times before charging is preferred to 'break in' the battery.
    yes, because I don't want it to go dead and have a charging problem.
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-05-15 at 03:07 PM.
    01-05-15 12:05 PM
    yes, because I don't want it to go dead and have a charging problem.
    Won't happen. The phone dying when it's in the red doesn't mean that the battery is depleted. There is a built in mechanism to prevent this damage from occurring with normal usage.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 04:48 AM
    I'm not convinced that draining the battery down to zero is necessary to condition the battery. From my normal all day usage I'm seeing my battery lasting longer and longer, leaving me with much reserve at the end of the day. Plus shouldn't draining lithium ion batteries be avoided?
    A pointer: be sure to check if any of the android apps you use is still running in the background after you have closed them. I have found that they suck the battery down quicker when that happens.
    Mr4aces and kbz1960 like this.
    01-06-15 07:40 AM
    PlayBook battery problems when batter is dead??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-06-15 at 09:39 AM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-06-15 08:26 AM
    Sorry Mr4aces,

but how can you be typing slower on the classic then on the 9900?
    I mean if you would have gone from your old BBOS7 to a Passport i would understand, but from 9900 to classic?? it's the same keyboard, but better! straight line keyboard or slightly bent line keyboard is exactly the same.

When i switched to the Q10 (which introduced the straight line keyboard) i didn't even noticed a difference, if not slightly better!
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 08:36 AM
    Sorry Mr4aces,

but how can you be typing slower on the classic then on the 9900?
    I mean if you would have gone from your old BBOS7 to a Passport i would understand, but from 9900 to classic?? it's the same keyboard, but better! straight line keyboard or slightly bent line keyboard is exactly the same.

When i switched to the Q10 (which introduced the straight line keyboard) i didn't even noticed a difference, if not slightly better!
    I personally prefer the curved key board for the natural arc/radius of your thumb. It isn't just about straight key vs curved keys.

The menu key on the 9900 is faster for cut and paste, clear field, switch applications, repeat function by holding down the key (periods dash, underline), save, find.......

There just seems to be one or two more steps using a combination of keyboard/gesture. Like when the pointer is not on the screen you have to touch the screen then move it with your finger to position it. Where the 9900 the pointer is always there. Can you say the Classic is faster multitasking or one hand typing when your walking? If you had only one arm/hand? Or writing with your right hand and using the 9900 with your left hand (idssteve). This is where OS7's hub/menu shines.

BB10 has come a long way and it's going to get better. But I don't think the menu and hub will ever be like OS7. I have express my opinion that RIM/ML should have gone down two paths on the OS in CB last summer. So we don't need to go there.

I have said I accept this. BB10 offers many things OS7 does not have, so it's time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Mr4aces; 01-06-15 at 09:42 AM.
    01-06-15 09:13 AM
    I personally prefer the curved key board for the natural arc/radius of your thumb. It isn't just about straight key vs curved keys.

The menu key on the 9900 is faster for cut and paste, clear field, switch applications, repeat function by holding down the key (periods dash, underline), save, find.......

There just seems to be one or two more steps using a combination of keyboard/gesture. Like when the pointer is not on the screen you have to touch the screen then move it with your finger to position it. Where the 9900 the pointer is always there. Can you say the Classic is faster multitasking or one hand typing when your walking? If you had only one arm/hand? Or writing with your right hand and using the 9900 with your left hand (idssteve). This is where OS7's hub/menu shines.

BB10 has come a long way and it's going to get better. But I don't think the menu and hub will ever be like OS7. I have express my opinion that RIM/ML should have gone down two paths on the OS in CB last summer. So we don't need to go there.

I have said I accept this. BB10 offers many things OS7 does not have, so it's time to move on.

Posted via CB10
    Have you tried to decrease the font in display settings? Watch what happens to the hub. It will scale properly unlike previous BB10 versions.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 07:04 PM
    Have you tried to decrease the font in display settings? Watch what happens to the hub. It will scale properly unlike previous BB10 versions.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks Dave I'll try it tomorrow, just installed a screen protector
    01-06-15 07:06 PM
    PlayBook battery problems when batter is dead??

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900
    Btw I had this PlayBook problem very recently. And I resolved it by plugging it into a Samsung tablet charger(1.8mA), so I'm wondering if the new BlackBerry rapid charger with the same amperage would work.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 07:09 PM
    Btw I had this PlayBook problem very recently. And I resolved it by plugging it into a Samsung tablet charger(1.8mA), so I'm wondering if the new BlackBerry rapid charger with the same amperage would work.

Posted via CB10
    The BlackBerry premium charger is best for bb10 devices but for PlayBook that magnetic charger is best by far.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 07:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm think to same thing or maybe a 5amp charger? on Your Playbook did you have to stack charge it
    01-06-15 07:13 PM
    The BlackBerry premium charger is best for bb10 devices but for PlayBook that magnetic charger is best by far.

Posted via CB10
    What is a magnetic charger? I have a dead PB that I should try to get revised, I tried stack charging. I'm thinking a 5 amp charger? because PB need 3 amps to activate the cpu
    01-06-15 07:17 PM
    What is a magnetic charger? I have a dead PB that I should try to get revised, I tried stack charging. I'm thinking a 5 amp charger? because PB need 3 amps to activate the cpu
    The magnetic one does like 8 amps. Let me check what it's called exactly.

Posted via CB10
    Mr4aces likes this.
    01-06-15 09:19 PM
75 123