It's really not difficult to understand. A direct wired connection loses less energy between the outlet and the device than a wireless connection. With wireless charging, you're losing energy with the wired connection between the outlet and the charging pad, then losing yet more between the charging pad and the device.

Also, it's difficult to use a phone while it's charging wirelessly vs a wired connection.
    Oh boy...

The first loss that you have mentioned, which is by the way negligable, WILL occur no matter what. Because just like you mention, it occurs between the outlet and the charging pad, BUT in the same way it WOULD and WILL occur even between outlet and phone in case you use a cord for charging.

The second loss that you have mentioned, between charging pad and device is even more negliable, especially if you are lookig at it in the grand scheme of things -> this is a phone battery, NOT an electric car battery.

Last but not least, wireless charging does not exclude cord-charging, you can always use cord-charging if you need, while of course you can't say that the other way around for a cord-only-charge system.

If you are concerned about energy losses, consider a more reading only forum participation. Writing requires more screen time and following your own reasoning uses more energy.
    05-20-19 06:10 PM
    ...until the phone that you are promoting will have one right?

...but until BBMo is finnally able to catch up with times, let's only focus on any theoretical disadvantages that we can come up with.
    Of course I would love for the KEY3 to have wireless charging, but for a different reason:

For me, wireless charging is a backup option if the charging port ever fails, that's all.
    05-20-19 06:21 PM
    Of course I would love for the KEY3 to have wireless charging, but for a different reason:

For me, wireless charging is a backup option if the charging port ever fails, that's all.
    Now we are talking.

For me wireless charging is a feature that PREVENTS the data port (otherwise known and used and abused as charging port) to fail to begin with.

It is worth to mention, that failure in this instance does not even come from repeated connecting and disconnecting of the cable, but rather form a mechanically compromised connector that with increased use and wear gains more and more room to wiggle and thereby increasgly wearing out the internal contacts. A good example is using such a compromised 'charging' cable in a car. You may connect it only once, but it will wiggle along during your whole trip and wearing on the contacts.
    05-20-19 06:34 PM
    Oh boy...

The first loss that you have mentioned, which is by the way negligable, WILL occur no matter what. Because just like you mention, it occurs between the outlet and the charging pad, BUT in the same way it WOULD and WILL occur even between outlet and phone in case you use a cord for charging.

The second loss that you have mentioned, between charging pad and device is even more negliable, especially if you are lookig at it in the grand scheme of things -> this is a phone battery, NOT an electric car battery.

Last but not least, wireless charging does not exclude cord-charging, you can always use cord-charging if you need, while of course you can't say that the other way around for a cord-only-charge system.

If you are concerned about energy losses, consider a more reading only forum participation. Writing requires more screen time and following your own reasoning uses more energy.
    So we are in agreement. You could have just said so without being loquacious.
    05-20-19 06:41 PM
    Now we are talking.

For me wireless charging is a feature that PREVENTS the data port (otherwise known and used and abused as charging port) to fail to begin with.

It is worth to mention, that failure in this instance does not even come from repeated connecting and disconnecting of the cable, but rather form a mechanically compromised connector that with increased use and wear gains more and more room to wiggle and thereby increasgly wearing out the internal contacts. A good example is using such a compromised 'charging' cable in a car. You may connect it only once, but it will wiggle along during your whole trip and wearing on the contacts.
    Right, but maybe USB-C is more reliable in this regard compared to Micro-USB and all the older ports that came before it.
    05-20-19 06:44 PM
    So we are in agreement. You could have just said so without being loquacious.
    What do you have against loquacious people? Perhaps your loquacious is their elegant.

Anyway I tried but I’m stuck at one question, one sentence and one explanation...... I’m neither eloquent or loquacious ;-(
    05-20-19 06:46 PM
    So we are in agreement...
    Not surprisingly not.
    05-20-19 06:49 PM
    Right, but maybe USB-C is more reliable in this regard compared to Micro-USB and all the older ports that came before it.
    That is the essential question.

I'm betting against it and while I'm at it, I enjoy the convenience of wireless charging.

By the way, as an added (and likely unnecessary) precaution I keep the data port of my phone plugged.
    05-20-19 06:55 PM
    That is the essential question.

I'm betting against it and while I'm at it, I enjoy the convenience of wireless charging.

By the way, as an added (and likely unnecessary) precaution I keep the data port of my phone plugged.
    Chuck Finley69, being serious ever so briefly, why?
    05-20-19 06:58 PM
    The 3gb of ram on the keyone does tend to fill up quickly. I find myself having to close apps quite a bit during the day to ensure smooth running.
    05-20-19 08:51 PM
    Well, wireless charging is slower and heats the phone up more, so it's not free of drawbacks either lol.
    And the "wireless" charging pads have a cord plugged into them. I have the Samsung one for my S9 and its just plain silly if you ask me. Place a device on a pad or plug a cord in. One way or the other something is plugged in. I could honestly give a rats *** that my BE KeyOne is void of wireless charging.
    the_boon likes this.
    05-21-19 12:34 AM
    ...oh yeah, sooo silly:

...and imagine the worst part: You just simply place the phone on the cradle and it charges right away without having to mess with any cables. Upright, you can even much better see calls and messages, but who in the world would want that?

For all others:
    The phone barely gets warm with this particular charger. I have another type and the phone gets really warm with that one. I'm looking into why, but I have yet to find a definite reason. Both chargers seem to charge at the same rate.
    Last edited by WES51; 05-21-19 at 01:44 AM.
    Gene Fells likes this.
    05-21-19 01:29 AM

See I use wireless charging... so that hopefully my USB port doesn't fail. (two PlayBooks)

And it's convenient to lay on the pad on my nightstand or desk at work...

But it is less efficient, that's easy to do a search on the web to find out why. And I do also use a cable from time to time if I need a quick charge. It's nice to have the options...
    05-21-19 07:36 AM
    I could honestly give a rats *** that my BE KeyOne is void of wireless charging.
    But thats the thing, those who reported that their KEYone's charging port suddenly failed would have loved to have a backup option to charge their device while they figure out a replacement/repair option with BBMo.
    05-21-19 07:42 AM
    so that hopefully my USB port doesn't fail. (two PlayBooks)
    The hardware, although still not completely indefatigable, has greatly improved since the PlayBook days. I had perhaps the first wireless charging setup ever with my Palm device ages ago and I don't miss it one bit. Maybe that's because I've never ruined ANY usb/charge port. Even my PlayBook port still works fine to this day. IMHO it's all about how you look after your tech devices. Wireless charging, for me, is not something I look for in a new device, but I agree that choice is nice.
    05-21-19 08:31 AM
40 12