Slagman5,

With regards to your post comparing OS10 to other OS', while I agree with a lot of what you said, I will say that I just came from Windows Mobile 6.1 (non-touchscreen) and I can tell you several things that WM does BETTER than OS10 that would make all of us more productive and that should be incorporate into BB:

- Smart Dialing - Dial Number From Homescreen - You can simply dial a number from the homescreen and press "Send". That's it. VERY simple. Making a call on the Classic, which is a PHONE, should be that simple.
    - Smart Dialing - Prioritizing Recent Calls/Conversations - When you search on someone's name to call them, you will find the most recent people you communicated with FIRST before it shows the rest of the list in alphabetically-relevant results. 5 minutes ago I went to text someone who I just texted yesterday. I used a shortcut to get to the Texting interface but then I typed in their last name and up came 5-10 OTHER people in the results ahead of them because it was alphabetically-relevant without prioritizing who I recently communicated with. Very annoying and much more productive with WM.
    - Text App - Search results include a person's HOME number instead of just their mobile number, which seems counterintuitive. Furthermore, they list the home number FIRST in many instances so you have to scroll down even further to find a mobile number. WM only lists mobile numbers but allows you to go into a contact, if necessary, to select a non-mobile number (which seems perfectly intuitive).
    - Ending A Call With 1 Key Press - Currently OS10 requires 2 key presses to end a call in some instances. WM only required 1 keypress from ANY screen, regardless of whether you were in the dialing app at the time, which seems to make more sense.

Anyhow, this is just 4 quick examples that come to mind immediately of how WM, albeit a VERY old OS, is MUCH more efficient than OS10. The reason why I am pointing this out is because OS10 clearly has a long way to go until it's very efficient when it comes to the PHONE app and even in some of its other apps/features. I think the Hub is great and I think their e-mailing interface is great but some other parts of design/efficiency need some work and are clearly inferior to WM.
    I agree with your 2nd and 3rd post, I never understood why the home number is included in the text search, and their search result order is simply terrible, but it wasn't always like that. Legacy BBOS search results was like how you described. The more recent and often used contacts show up first. Don't know why they can't bring that back... About your first point, you can do that on BB10... Just tried it right now and it works fine. With the end call thing, I don't mind it that much as long as it's consistent. I did fine one very specific situation where even two presses of the end call will not end the call. Not sure if it is fixed with the latest update or not, but for 99% of the time it works. End call once while just talking on the phone works, twice when out of the call screen works. I've gotten used to double clicking end call, so it's ok. And actually on legacy BBOS, it's that way, one press from anywhere ended the call. The problem there was the way to get out of an app back to the homescreen was by pressing the call end button, lol. So sometimes I accidentally ended a call when I meant to just get out of an app without closing it. But with BB10 and its gestures, that wouldn't happen I think...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    03-23-15 12:16 AM
    I agree with your 2nd and 3rd post, I never understood why the home number is included in the text search, and their search result order is simply terrible, but it wasn't always like that. Legacy BBOS search results was like how you described. The more recent and often used contacts show up first. Don't know why they can't bring that back... About your first point, you can do that on BB10... Just tried it right now and it works fine. With the end call thing, I don't mind it that much as long as it's consistent. I did fine one very specific situation where even two presses of the end call will not end the call. Not sure if it is fixed with the latest update or not, but for 99% of the time it works. End call once while just talking on the phone works, twice when out of the call screen works. I've gotten used to double clicking end call, so it's ok. And actually on legacy BBOS, it's that way, one press from anywhere ended the call. The problem there was the way to get out of an app back to the homescreen was by pressing the call end button, lol. So sometimes I accidentally ended a call when I meant to just get out of an app without closing it. But with BB10 and its gestures, that wouldn't happen I think...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Thanks for your thoughts on these points. You are CORRECT - you can dial a number from the home screen and press Send. I actually didn't realize that was possible because I assumed you had to scroll down to the phone section (in the real-time assistant results) to actual dial the number. Here's what's odd to me - you can dial an entire number that matches someone in your Contacts and it doesn't start to match up that number with the contact. Not only is that amazingly inefficient, in that you can just scroll down and select the contact to dial (after matching up the first few numbers with that contact) but you can't even validate that you're typing the correct numbers because there is no matching - amazing. And now hearing from you that previous BBOS versions had all of these features makes the current OS even more frustrating for dialing, as it really should be the old way!

Oh well - hopefully they will correct all of this going forward. If they had these features built into previous OS versions then hopefully it's only a matter of time. With the amount of calls I make each day it would a HUGE help and I definitely miss these features from WM!
    03-23-15 02:49 AM
    I agree with the OP, but the OS has to be refined for the Classic. My solution would be to give every BlackBerry QNX engineer a Bold 9900 to use exclusively for a month. Forget the apps and browser. Concentrate on Toolbelt functionality, speed of moving through OS, and Communication related tasks. Then they will understand HOW the toolbelt should be optimized.

There have been some pretty well put together reviews here of people going to BBOS for 30 days after Z30 etc. They hack it out pretty well. The 9900 is a better communicator. BB10 has more potential and is more future proof. Just have to spend manpower refining the OS. It just takes time. It didn't deter me from BB10 as your skills grow with the OS. That's the biggest pain BBOS holdouts suffer. They had nearly a decade of muscle memory baked into the 9900 experience. That's a lot to overcome.

I agree with the Windows analogy. 10.3.1 is similar to Windows 9. A in-between place.

 Q10 
    I'm the OP and I think you make good points here - I absolutely agree with everything you said. I just would have thought that for the time it took to release the Classic (it was a LONG wait!) they would have already given a 9900 to a QNX engineer to get it right from the start. I definitely don't expect it to be nearly perfect (I have worked in various systems companies so I understand versioning, wishlists, etc, when it comes to OS versions), but I would have expected it to be better suited for the Toolbelt from Day 1, given how critical this phone is to BB.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with my Classic, like you, so here's to hoping we'll see improvements in the coming months!
    03-23-15 02:54 AM
    I love my classic I think it's better than my 9930 that I had a while ago but that might be because I got myself used to bb10 a year and a half ago though I do agree that the tool belt needs some fixing up

ClassicSQC100-3/10.3.1.1448
    03-23-15 03:00 AM
    I'm the OP and I think you make good points here - I absolutely agree with everything you said. I just would have thought that for the time it took to release the Classic (it was a LONG wait!) they would have already given a 9900 to a QNX engineer to get it right from the start. I definitely don't expect it to be nearly perfect (I have worked in various systems companies so I understand versioning, wishlists, etc, when it comes to OS versions), but I would have expected it to be better suited for the Toolbelt from Day 1, given how critical this phone is to BB.

Anyhow, I'm sticking with my Classic, like you, so here's to hoping we'll see improvements in the coming months!
    Also agreed. OS7.1 was the evolutionary result of quite a few years of real world experience. Experience that QNX guys tossed aside when they started from scratch. They're just now starting to approach OS5's maturity level, IMO.

BBOS had it's issues but i, for one, don't believe its UI was its problem.
    Last edited by idssteve; 03-23-15 at 10:58 AM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-23-15 05:11 AM

BBOS had it's issues but i, for one, don't believe it's UI was it's problem.
    its not it's

Posted via CB10
    idssteve likes this.
    03-23-15 06:38 AM
    Mods need to get rid of the trolls.

I used my 9930 for a few days and although it is definitely a solid phone (blast from the past), it is not even close to the performance and functionality of my Classic and Z30. If it wasn't for Verizon, I'd also have a Passport.

#BB10

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    03-23-15 07:05 AM
    Redlightblinking,

I'm done arguing. You're not understanding half of the points that I am making (those most recent "debunks" are wrong because you don't understand my points - for example, I NEVER alluded to speed dialing from the home screen - it was SMART dialing -
    I've asked you multiple times to explain this "smart dialing" and you haven't.

and the 1 key press to hang up is solved in your mind - but not in reality - search the other threads on this BUG!!).
    Uh, what? Reality is that if you push the hang up button, the phone hangs up. The exception was if you navigated to somewhere else during the call. This is not necessarily a bug, but possibly an intentional design.

I just don't have time to continue the back and forth. All I have to say is that I hope you don't work for BB because I and MANY others on the boards DO care about issues that take additional milliseconds. BB has always been about saving milliseconds (and more) and, in many ways, OS10 is much less efficient than OS7 and that is why 9900 users are flocking back to it. If you're not convinced that 9900 users are flocking back to their phones then you haven't read nearly enough threads from 9900 users... And this thread wouldn't have 220+ posts if most 9900 users were happy with the Classic - that's just logic.

Anyhow, I'm done going back and forth - too busy with work...
    Wow. So your logic is that because this thread has 220 posts, that means people are flocking back to their 9900's.

Sorry, but you clearly don't like facts, or even things demonstrated in front of you on your own phone. And even when you admit something, you complain that because you didn't know about a feature until someone else explained it...that it's not intuitive.
    Good luck to you.
    anon6040766 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:04 AM
    its not it's

Posted via CB10
    Thanks
    andy957 likes this.
    03-23-15 10:59 AM
    Mods need to get rid of the trolls.

I used my 9930 for a few days and although it is definitely a solid phone (blast from the past), it is not even close to the performance and functionality of my Classic and Z30. If it wasn't for Verizon, I'd also have a Passport.

#BB10

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    Agreed. My 9900 makes a great backup. Also, it's like a camping trip into the wilderness. Great for when I want to disconnect for a while away from the daily grind. It's just there and does its job well.

But when it's time to actually go to work and use my smartphone to get things done, I need something more capable. For any Qla99ic users that have taken the time to learn 10.3, you'll know what I mean.

 Q10 
    03-24-15 11:00 AM
    What is the problem with 10.3 calendar? Yes, I understand it's different...change is always difficult to adjust to. That said, it still offers all of the same options as any BBOS calendar. The change is in appearance, but utilization isn't anymore difficult. Yes, I agree that prior calendar versions were better, but if the calendar in 10.3.1 is a deal breaker or cause for such childlike whining, get over it. So it's not AS good, but the 9900 is a joke in countless ways that nobody has time to list.

Posted via my AT&T BlackBerry Classic
    Roughly 225 posts prior to yours don't agree.
    03-24-15 07:18 PM
    Roughly 225 posts prior to yours don't agree.
    And roughly 225 posts before have given 10.3.1 a try for a very small period of time, cried about it, and taken their ball and gone home. Like I said in my post, prior calendars were better, but enough for this uproar, that's all. This calendar has everything prior calendars have and if you don't like it try iOS or Android and see how you feel about their native calendar. What is it exactly that is so bad about 10.3.1's calendar? And of those 225 most miss some of the 9900 features but admit the Classic is an upgrade. Clearly you're subjectively reading.

03-24-15 09:34 PM
    Double Post...Deleted
    03-24-15 09:37 PM
    prior calendars were better ... This calendar has everything prior calendars have ... What is it exactly that is so bad about 10.3.1's calendar? ... Clearly you're subjectively reading.
    ???
    03-24-15 09:50 PM
    ???
    You edited my post which takes it out of context. The point is that sure, the format and UI of prior calendars on BBOS were more efficient. That said, 10.3.1 has all the same features just is different in appearance really. It just takes some getting use to. You have to look at my original post, the response, and my response for it to make sense. I loved my 9930, but after the Z10, Q10, Z30, Passport, and Classic...BlackBerry 10 to me is substantially better that BBOS.

03-24-15 10:05 PM
    ..... Like I said in my post, prior calendars were better, but enough for this uproar, that's all. This calendar has everything prior calendars have and if you don't like it try iOS or Android and see how you feel about their native calendar. What is it exactly that is so bad about 10.3.1's calendar? .....
    Well, that's the problem; they took a good calendar and made it worse for no apparent reason! Isn't that a good reason to have an uproar?

And, NO, this calendar does NOT have everything prior calendars have. Search the Forums, there are a few Threads about what's bad about the 10.3.1 Calendar (you can start with the one titled - "BlackBerry 10.3.1 Calendar is Disastrous!").
    03-24-15 10:06 PM
    I didn't materially change your statements. You can't logically assert that prior calendars were better AND that this calendar has everything prior calendars had. The fact is that the "appearance" of the month views conveys very different information, and the new information is less useful. There's an entire thread on that subject, and it's strange that people who can see the change can't just admit that it is less useful and go on. It's not like anyone here is personally responsible for the change.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-24-15 10:18 PM
    I didn't materially change your statements. You can't logically assert that prior calendars were better AND that this calendar has everything prior calendars had. The fact is that the "appearance" of the month views conveys very different information, and the new information is less useful. There's an entire thread on that subject, and it's strange that people who can see the change can't just admit that it is less useful and go on. It's not like anyone here is personally responsible for the change.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Like I said, the change is apparent. That said, IMO it is not a deal breaker unless of course the sole purpose of your phone use is your calendar and you simply prefer the monthly view. Additionally, and admittedly I only use the agenda view, which yes took some time to get use to. However, since I've used all the BlackBerry 10 devices I would rather use a BlackBerry 10 device than BBOS regardless of the calendar app. The only thing I care about in the calendar app is invitations and bridges for conferences calls. I guess that's why the changes don't seem as drastic to me.

03-24-15 10:26 PM
    a bunch of garbage
    On the topic of subjectively reading, I'm one of the folks that you mention that used 10.3.1 for a small since the darn leak hit the boards, cried about it really enjoyed it, and taken their ball and gone home recognize that while it's definitely a VAST improvement from where we started with 10.0.0, still leaves a few, FEW, areas of improvement to be desired. I, in fact, have tried iOS and Android and concluded that as a whole I prefer BlackBerry 10 to them. Clearly in your subjective reading you seem to have missed those facts, so I do recommend speaking intelligibly about the person you're posting about and their opinion before forming a diluted version of it in your own head.

To address reasons I don't like the latest iteration of the calendar, I'll draw you to my usage case. Now, granted, with the prior tact I've seen in your aforementioned post, I assume we'll have to sit down and tit for tat everything that's said in my post rather than face the overall broad opinion I'm trying to share to a board I don't really care too much about for the sake of conversation, so please, if your usage case is different from mine, please forgive me for not being you. When it comes time to enter info into my calendar, I can go about it in a few different ways. With the 9930 I can rapid fire entries into the calendar one right after another with hotkeys galore. For every entry I save it remembers the date and time info and when I hotkey into a new entry, it populates it with the common data and I can make minor adjustments, such as with time. Usually this comes in the form of an email, where OS7 allows me to import relevant data via magic making the whole process much faster on the fly.

With my Z30, I have to navigate to the date I want to create an entry in which, coincidentally, isn't always the date that the calendar opens up to. I'm baffled by this and verified it isn't just me experiencing this. If you'd like sources I'll provide them for you. Once I've navigated to that date I tap on an area that represents the approximate time I want to start an event. Now comes the fun part -- Let me manually type all this garbage in. After I save it, I'm presented with one of two views, seemingly at random. I'm either presented with Day view or Agenda view. Gotta navigate over to Day view, tap somewhere, and start the whole process over again. THANKFULLY once I've done all this, it DOES link relevant emails and contacts to the meeting, but only if I'm included names of participants.

When I had my Classic, from the home screen I'd hit L to pull up the calendar. I'd hit D for Day view. I'd hit C for a new event, and manually fill in all the info. I'm still unable to directly import information or create events directly from an email message with event information listed and have all the information autopopulate. The Classic allows me to fill in the calendar info I need faster and allows me to... 'sort of' rapid fire entries, definitely faster than my Z30, but not nearly as cleanly or efficiently as this awful 9930 you enjoy putting down.

All this while hugging a wall.
    03-24-15 10:31 PM
    ...it's strange that people who can see the change can't just admit that it is less useful and go on.
    iPhone users, after ever. stinking. upgrade reiteration of the same crap.
    03-24-15 10:32 PM
    On the topic of subjectively reading, I'm one of the folks that you mention that used 10.3.1 for a small since the darn leak hit the boards, cried about it really enjoyed it, and taken their ball and gone home recognize that while it's definitely a VAST improvement from where we started with 10.0.0, still leaves a few, FEW, areas of improvement to be desired. I, in fact, have tried iOS and Android and concluded that as a whole I prefer BlackBerry 10 to them. Clearly in your subjective reading you seem to have missed those facts, so I do recommend speaking intelligibly about the person you're posting about and their opinion before forming a diluted version of it in your own head.

To address reasons I don't like the latest iteration of the calendar, I'll draw you to my usage case. Now, granted, with the prior tact I've seen in your aforementioned post, I assume we'll have to sit down and tit for tat everything that's said in my post rather than face the overall broad opinion I'm trying to share to a board I don't really care too much about for the sake of conversation, so please, if your usage case is different from mine, please forgive me for not being you. When it comes time to enter info into my calendar, I can go about it in a few different ways. With the 9930 I can rapid fire entries into the calendar one right after another with hotkeys galore. For every entry I save it remembers the date and time info and when I hotkey into a new entry, it populates it with the common data and I can make minor adjustments, such as with time. Usually this comes in the form of an email, where OS7 allows me to import relevant data via magic making the whole process much faster on the fly.

With my Z30, I have to navigate to the date I want to create an entry in which, coincidentally, isn't always the date that the calendar opens up to. I'm baffled by this and verified it isn't just me experiencing this. If you'd like sources I'll provide them for you. Once I've navigated to that date I tap on an area that represents the approximate time I want to start an event. Now comes the fun part -- Let me manually type all this garbage in. After I save it, I'm presented with one of two views, seemingly at random. I'm either presented with Day view or Agenda view. Gotta navigate over to Day view, tap somewhere, and start the whole process over again. THANKFULLY once I've done all this, it DOES link relevant emails and contacts to the meeting, but only if I'm included names of participants.

When I had my Classic, from the home screen I'd hit L to pull up the calendar. I'd hit D for Day view. I'd hit C for a new event, and manually fill in all the info. I'm still unable to directly import information or create events directly from an email message with event information listed and have all the information autopopulate. The Classic allows me to fill in the calendar info I need faster and allows me to... 'sort of' rapid fire entries, definitely faster than my Z30, but not nearly as cleanly or efficiently as this awful 9930 you enjoy putting down.

All this while hugging a wall.
    Wow...for someone who does not care you sure took the time to write a dissertation on your feelings. That said, there must be some sort of misunderstanding. I am in no way shape or form putting down the 9900/9930. It was my daily driver and favorite phone for a few years. I was only speaking in the context of the calendar, period. And yes, after reading your post I cannot deny that based on how you use your calendar, 10.3.1 has its shortcomings which keep you from being able to use the calendar the way you are accustom to. On the other hand, I personally do not use my calendar in the same manner. As a physician/surgeon my schedulers and the hospitals I am affiliated with set my schedule and send me invites, so for me it's as simple as accepting the invites. My schedule is sync to a server based on my clinical hours versus my surgery hours. So I guess it comes down to perception. Perception is reality. For you and others the changes are unacceptable. For me, the changes don't impact me. I guess I can humbly admit if the changes affected me in a major way then I'd have to use my spare 9930.

03-24-15 10:47 PM
    Wow...for someone who does not care you sure took the time to write a dissertation on your feelings. That said, there must be some sort of misunderstanding. I am in no way shape or form putting down the 9900/9930. It was my daily driver and favorite phone for a few years. I was only speaking in the context of the calendar, period. And yes, after reading your post I cannot deny that based on how you use your calendar, 10.3.1 has its shortcomings which keep you from being able to use the calendar the way you are accustom to. On the other hand, I personally do not use my calendar in the same manner. As a physician/surgeon my schedulers and the hospitals I am affiliated with set my schedule and send me invites, so for me it's as simple as accepting the invites. My schedule is sync to a server based on my clinical hours versus my surgery hours. So I guess it comes down to perception. Perception is reality. For you and others the changes are unacceptable. For me, the changes don't impact me. I guess I can humbly admit if the changes affected me in a major way then I'd have to use my spare 9930.

Definitely, and usage case is something that isn't readily translatable through text, leading to my thought that all the extra garbage information I threw in might help (which it clearly has). That said, my apologies for any misunderstandings on my part.

Fortunately, for someone in your shoes, yes, the calendar is absolutely usable as it is. That being said, the argument can be made that using Outlook to build my calendar would have my argument dead-to-rights and simplify everything I said above. There's no reason I can't use Outlook, either, other than it just hasn't been part of my workflow since... gosh, 2008? My morning routine is to wake up, shower, get dressed, stop by a Dutch Bros drive thru for coffee, get to the office, sit in my chair, and do two things: roll through my unread email and reply, and set up my calendar off of those emails, all from my phone while sipping said coffee :P

That all being said, there are changes to the calendar in 10.3.2 and I just found out that it was just released, so I'll be trying it on my Z30 and possibly pick up another Classic. If I do pick up the Classic it'll likely be with me selling off my Z30 and Bold as they'd be pretty useless to me at that point. I don't mind making the switch and I do absolutely love the Classic for what it is; at the time it was too much of a backwards step in terms of routine. I'll be the last to say that the Classic isn't worth the upgrade, if you can do so without breaking other time-sensitive things.
    03-24-15 10:57 PM
    Definitely, and usage case is something that isn't readily translatable through text, leading to my thought that all the extra garbage information I threw in might help (which it clearly has). That said, my apologies for any misunderstandings on my part.

Fortunately, for someone in your shoes, yes, the calendar is absolutely usable as it is. That being said, the argument can be made that using Outlook to build my calendar would have my argument dead-to-rights and simplify everything I said above. There's no reason I can't use Outlook, either, other than it just hasn't been part of my workflow since... gosh, 2008? My morning routine is to wake up, shower, get dressed, stop by a Dutch Bros drive thru for coffee, get to the office, sit in my chair, and do two things: roll through my unread email and reply, and set up my calendar off of those emails, all from my phone while sipping said coffee :P

That all being said, there are changes to the calendar in 10.3.2 and I just found out that it was just released, so I'll be trying it on my Z30 and possibly pick up another Classic. If I do pick up the Classic it'll likely be with me selling off my Z30 and Bold as they'd be pretty useless to me at that point. I don't mind making the switch and I do absolutely love the Classic for what it is; at the time it was too much of a backwards step in terms of routine. I'll be the last to say that the Classic isn't worth the upgrade, if you can do so without breaking other time-sensitive things.
    I was actually going to bring up 10.3.2 but the list of bugs is insane! I read something about the alarm clock not working and that's enough to keep me in 10.3.1 til some tweaks are made! Unfortunately, in the United States an official carrier release comes around every...well they just don't happen! For all carriers and devices they are on 10.2.1.xxxx still except the Classic and Passport came with 10.3.1.xxxx from what I understand.

03-24-15 11:05 PM
    I was actually going to bring up 10.3.2 but the list of bugs is insane! I read something about the alarm clock not working and that's enough to keep me in 10.3.1 til some tweaks are made! Unfortunately, in the United States an official carrier release comes around every...well they just don't happen! For all carriers and devices they are on 10.2.1.xxxx still except the Classic and Passport came with 10.3.1.xxxx from what I understand.

Hah Amen to the carrier releases. I can understand people not wanting to use autoloaders for their production devices but in some respects you have to if you want to use a reasonably up to date device.

The list for 10.3.2 is quite massive, and the alarm clock is what's keeping me from really taking the dive into the Classic again right this second. From what I understand the alarm time will randomly change and, if you press snooze, it may set you into bedside mode automatically for no real reason. That being said, I'm seeing a LOT of positive feedback about the calendar which has me intrigued. Of course at this point we might as well derail the subject of the thread :P
    03-24-15 11:08 PM
    I must agree!

If you're a BlackBerry fan, then give the new Classic or Passport a chance! UPGRADE and STICK WITH IT! after a few days you will be hooked and can most definitely do everything plus more compared to your old 9900's
    03-25-15 06:04 AM
286 ... 89101112