Oh and I forgot to add one thing to my above stated comparison, a point where I really have to give credit to the legacy holdouts.

The trackpad and toolbelt integration into BBOS7 is so much better than on BlackBerry 10. You can totally see that the OS was not designed for use with a trackpad which is a shame. A device like the classic is neither a fully controllable trackpad phone, nor a touch device as the Passport. It's something like a strange hybrid. I hope they address the issue in the future if they stick to the toolbelt. I like the trackpad a lot but it is just way more useful on OS7 devices.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-15 04:51 PM
    Oh and I forgot to add one thing to my above stated comparison, a point where I really have to give credit to the legacy holdouts.

The trackpad and toolbelt integration into BBOS7 is so much better than on BlackBerry 10. You can totally see that the OS was not designed for use with a trackpad which is a shame. A device like the classic is neither a fully controllable trackpad phone, nor a touch device as the Passport. It's something like a strange hybrid. I hope they address the issue in the future if they stick to the toolbelt. I like the trackpad a lot but it is just way more useful on OS7 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Please explain. How is the OS not designed for it's use? And...how is the device not a touch device? It's actually both, as either function works. You can use is exactly like a Q10....or...you can never touch the screen except to unlock it (the only thing I can find that you must take your gloves off for).
    03-15-15 04:56 PM
    Please explain. How is the OS not designed for it's use? And...how is the device not a touch device? It's actually both, as either function works. You can use is exactly like a Q10....or...you can never touch the screen except to unlock it (the only thing I can find that you must take your gloves off for).
    There's a setting under Lock Screen that allows you to set the ability to lock and unlock the device with the power button. So you do not need to touch the screen for that.
    03-15-15 05:16 PM
    There's a setting under Lock Screen that allows you to set the ability to lock and unlock the device with the power button. So you do not need to touch the screen for that.
    Thanks! I thought I tried that and it didn't work, but now I just did it again and it worked perfectly.
    03-15-15 05:22 PM
    I envy the pristine, finger-greaseless existence you are about to enjoy!

Sent from my Q10 using Forum Fiend OSP v1.3.3.
    Xenolock likes this.
    03-15-15 07:03 PM
    I'm in the OP and I agree with the person you responded to in that OS10 was made as a touchscreen/keyboard device from the ground up that did NOT include a Toolbelt. The Toolbelt was added into OS10 after the fact and had to be fit into the OS. If the OS was designed to include a trackpad from Day 1 then it would work a LOT better. Here's a great example (one of MANY) that I have encountered on my Classic:

- Search on a name to call someone and find them in Contacts
    - In Contacts, use trackpad to navigate down to the number you would want to call
    - Click on the Call button (on the Toolbelt) with the number highlighted

- What should happen? It should call the highlighted the number!!
    - What does happen -> It brings you to the phone app

This is just one of many ways that the Toolbelt wasn't fit into the OS properly because OS10 was not built from the group up with the Toolbelt included... Clearly they spent a lot of time trying to get the Classic right but it's not as intuitive as it should be in enough instances that it's very noticeable...
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    03-16-15 01:47 AM
    I'm in the OP and I agree with the person you responded to in that OS10 was made as a touchscreen/keyboard device from the ground up that did NOT include a Toolbelt. The Toolbelt was added into OS10 after the fact and had to be fit into the OS. If the OS was designed to include a trackpad from Day 1 then it would work a LOT better. Here's a great example (one of MANY) that I have encountered on my Classic:

- In Contacts, use trackpad to navigate down to the number you would want to call

This is just one of many ways that the Toolbelt wasn't fit into the OS properly because OS10 was not built from the group up with the Toolbelt included... Clearly they spent a lot of time trying to get the Classic right but it's not as intuitive as it should be in enough instances that it's very noticeable...
    You showed one example and I agree that it should do what you said. However, does that one single example justify the statement that BB10 is not "designed for a toolbelt"? And, couldn't that single example be fixed with more lines of code? Just add it to the dozens of other things the BB engineers have let slip through the cracks when they forgot to include basic operational advantages from BBOS7.
    03-16-15 08:25 AM
    You showed one example and I agree that it should do what you said. However, does that one single example justify the statement that BB10 is not "designed for a toolbelt"? And, couldn't that single example be fixed with more lines of code? Just add it to the dozens of other things the BB engineers have let slip through the cracks when they forgot to include basic operational advantages from BBOS7.
    Unfortunately I don't have time to write multiple examples of this right now but there are MANY examples that I could up with me. Here's another that is widely quoted on these forums. Often you have to press the End key MULTIPLE times to end a call. It varies by where you are in the software. That's not the way most toolbelt phones (not just BB phones) work in general. Many people have already pointed this out and complained about it (there's an entire thread on this one example).

I don't have time to write more examples for you - just trust me on this one... And yes - it's just a question of BB engineers getting the OS right. What's clear to me is that BB didn't dedicate enough resources to get it right from the start, despite a very long lead time to develop the Classic. Which is one of the reasons that 9900 users are trying the Classic and going back (which is why I started this thread!!). If you ask me the Toolbelt should have been a top priority to get exactly right. Can they still make future OS improvements to get it right - yes. But will they be able to convert 9900 users if/when that happens who have already given the Classic a try - who knows...
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    03-16-15 04:54 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have time to write multiple examples of this right now but there are MANY examples that I could up with me. Here's another that is widely quoted on these forums. Often you have to press the End key MULTIPLE times to end a call. It varies by where you are in the software. That's not the way most toolbelt phones (not just BB phones) work in general. Many people have already pointed this out and complained about it (there's an entire thread on this one example).

I don't have time to write more examples for you - just trust me on this one... And yes - it's just a question of BB engineers getting the OS right. What's clear to me is that BB didn't dedicate enough resources to get it right from the start, despite a very long lead time to develop the Classic. Which is one of the reasons that 9900 users are trying the Classic and going back (which is why I started this thread!!). If you ask me the Toolbelt should have been a top priority to get exactly right. Can they still make future OS improvements to get it right - yes. But will they be able to convert 9900 users if/when that happens who have already given the Classic a try - who knows...
    Sorry, I don't know you so I can't just trust you. People give me a hard time because I have the nerve to ask questions, including the one people usually hate: "like what?". You can't even bullet point a few other examples?

Not sure what you mean about the ending a call. I don't have that problem. Also, not sure what you mean by "where you are in the software". If you are on a call.....you are in the phone part of the soft ware. But again, can't these oversights be corrected with some code? And if so, doesn't this mean that BB10 can certainly work with a toolbelt as long as they correctly write the software to accommodate various situations? It seems you are now saying that it can.....it just isn't yet because BB didn't dedicate enough resources to that mission. That's different than not being designed for a tool belt. It's just a series of buttons that the OS responds to based on conditions. Any OS could adapt to it.

I think that 9900 users (like me) will eventually do enough testing in the store that many will be satisfied, and many (like me) might not discover all the nuances and missing code that leave openings, but at that point they (like me) will probably just deal with it in exchange for the other advantages and hope BB corrects it later.

As far as I'm concerned, the most important button on the toolbelt is the back button, and is the one I use most. I wake the screen. I minimize apps and close apps. I navigate inside apps and I do by barely moving my thumb.
    03-16-15 06:46 PM

Update....
    I just tried a version of this and it worked as expected. I actually delete the contacts app from my screen because I don't really need to touch that icon as another step. Instead, I either open the phone by pressing the phone button (if I'm about to make a phone call) or I simply type the name from the home screen (universal search) and as soon as it comes up I touch it. It goes to their contact info. I press the call button and it calls. But if you type "call" before the name (in universal search) your options are: "call (person you searched)" you can touch that icon, [I]or you press the phone button and it calls the first person on the list of results. So, depending which method you use it's pretty efficient.
    03-17-15 09:35 AM
    I have received my Bold 9930 and will use it for a week and see how much I will yearn for my Classic or Z30. love this keyboard though!

Sent from Tingle the Bold 9930
    03-18-15 06:51 PM
    "Oh, this new phone isn't 100% exactly like my current phone, so I'll switch to a phone that's 100% different than it instead!"

Hm, yep, makes no sense...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    evodevo69 likes this.
    03-18-15 06:59 PM
    By the way, for anyone who wants to watch an interesting review from a guy who talks about the trackpad on the Classic, coming from the Bold(s), here's the link (be forewarned, it's a 13 minute video):
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-18-15 09:25 PM
    I have to disagree with the OP on this one. I have been using my 9930 since the day it was released and absolutely loved it. With the release of BB 10 I went to a verizon store/best buy to try each of the new models as they came out, and each time I was sorely disappointed. As a HUGE fan of the physical keyboard and physical buttons/track pad, the Z30 was awful. The Q10 I was a little excited about but ultimately hated when I tried it in the store.

Finally the blackberry classic announcement came and I have very eagerly watched every bit of news related to it. I finally got to try one in the verizon store last saturday and....

I was hugely dissappointed.

I've seen alot of posts here about the calendar app and various other business related tasks that are harder/less fluent on the classic, but those don't bother me. The only thing about my 9930 that I don't like is the fact that I can't check my work email on it (yes I'm a blackberry user who CAN'T use his device for work). My company doesn't have a BES, and disables OWA, IMAP, and POP on the exchange server. We have to use mobile iron, or the Cisco Any Connect client to check email, and this goes for iPhone and Android users as well.

Sadly, the classic doesn't have either of those (searched App World myself on the device in store), so the #1 thing I want in a BB10 device still isn't possible. It's pretty sad when the one phone brand that can't check your companies email...is blackberry, but that's a whole different topic.

Also, while the physical buttons and trackpad are there, they are smaller than on the 9930, and didn't feel right. The keyboard as well just didnt feel the same. Why couldn't they make it curved like the 9930?

The biggest thing that dissappointed me about the phone, however, was the OS. I just don't like it, in fact, I kinda hated it. The blackberry hub was cluttered and clumsy. Even with a track pad and the same buttons as the 9930, I can't close programs the same way...menu button, scroll, exit/close. I don't like the way icons are accessed by scrolling through home menus Android style, instead of in one window with folders like on the 9930. Basically BB tried to be like the big boys (Apple and Android) with the way this OS was designed/looks when the old school straight forward but not flashy way BB7 did it was perfect. I could go on for days, but there was lots of things I didn't like about the OS, and I stood there for over an hour in the store.

Sure they are things I would just have to adjust and learn to use, and maybe I am just being stubborn, but I can already tell I'll never like the OS anywhere near as much as BB7.

Now the OP is saying despite all this, I should go with the Classic to keep blackberry alive? I should suffer with an inferior product to help support a company that keeps disappointing us time and time again? No, just no. I think its quite the opposite actually. Maybe they deserve to go under because of this. All they had to do with the classic is make the damn thing i-freaking-dentical to the 9900/30, but with the bigger screen, but they couldn't do that. Tack on the BB10 OS, that is vastly different from 7, and I have to ask why? Instead of learning to deal with this new crappy OS, why not learn to deal with out the keyboard/buttons and go with Android and Apple, where they have proven, vastly superior OS/phones. And this from someone who HATES apple and doesnt like Android at all either.

Why should I either spend 200 bucks and be locked into a verizon contract for 2 years (which I haven't been for like 3 years now) or spend 400 bucks off contract...for a phone that I will like significantly less than my 9930? Add on top of that that I STILL can't use a blackberry to check my work email.

I'm better off buying a another 9930 when mine finally craps out where I'll have a phone that I know I can be happy with.

Long story short, by going to the Classic, I have to spend a good amount of money and be locked in to a contract, and gain absolutely nothing over my 9930, except screen size and a better browser (supposedly). The screen size on the 9930 has never bothered me, and yes the browser is absolute freaking garbage, but I didn't find the one on the Classic to be super awesome/fast either (it crashed on me probably 4 times in the store).

Sorry for the long winded post but really disappointed about the Classic.
    Last edited by Makaveli007; 03-18-15 at 10:40 PM.
    Carrtman and idssteve like this.
    03-18-15 10:14 PM
    I own a Bold 9930, a Classic, and a Z30 and I think they all have their purpose and are great...although the 9930 is dated and sometimes laggy. I also had a Z10 and Q10 and have since retired and sold them...

Sent from Tingle the Bold 9930
    03-18-15 10:23 PM
    "Oh, this new phone isn't 100% exactly like my current phone, so I'll switch to a phone that's 100% different than it instead!"

Hm, yep, makes no sense...

It makes perfect sense, if I'm forced to downgrade I'd rather change.

Change can be good, a downgrade is never good.
    03-19-15 03:51 AM
    I have to disagree with the OP on this one. I have been using my 9930 since the day it was released and absolutely loved it. With the release of BB 10 I went to a verizon store/best buy to try each of the new models as they came out, and each time I was sorely disappointed. As a HUGE fan of the physical keyboard and physical buttons/track pad, the Z30 was awful. The Q10 I was a little excited about but ultimately hated when I tried it in the store.

Finally the blackberry classic announcement came and I have very eagerly watched every bit of news related to it. I finally got to try one in the verizon store last saturday and....

I was hugely dissappointed.

I've seen alot of posts here about the calendar app and various other business related tasks that are harder/less fluent on the classic, but those don't bother me. The only thing about my 9930 that I don't like is the fact that I can't check my work email on it (yes I'm a blackberry user who CAN'T use his device for work). My company doesn't have a BES, and disables OWA, IMAP, and POP on the exchange server. We have to use mobile iron, or the Cisco Any Connect client to check email, and this goes for iPhone and Android users as well.

Sadly, the classic doesn't have either of those (searched App World myself on the device in store), so the #1 thing I want in a BB10 device still isn't possible. It's pretty sad when the one phone brand that can't check your companies email...is blackberry, but that's a whole different topic.

Also, while the physical buttons and trackpad are there, they are smaller than on the 9930, and didn't feel right. The keyboard as well just didnt feel the same. Why couldn't they make it curved like the 9930?

The biggest thing that dissappointed me about the phone, however, was the OS. I just don't like it, in fact, I kinda hated it. The blackberry hub was cluttered and clumsy. Even with a track pad and the same buttons as the 9930, I can't close programs the same way...menu button, scroll, exit/close. I don't like the way icons are accessed by scrolling through home menus Android style, instead of in one window with folders like on the 9930. Basically BB tried to be like the big boys (Apple and Android) with the way this OS was designed/looks when the old school straight forward but not flashy way BB7 did it was perfect. I could go on for days, but there was lots of things I didn't like about the OS, and I stood there for over an hour in the store.

Sure they are things I would just have to adjust and learn to use, and maybe I am just being stubborn, but I can already tell I'll never like the OS anywhere near as much as BB7.

Now the OP is saying despite all this, I should go with the Classic to keep blackberry alive? I should suffer with an inferior product to help support a company that keeps disappointing us time and time again? No, just no. I think its quite the opposite actually. Maybe they deserve to go under because of this. All they had to do with the classic is make the damn thing i-freaking-dentical to the 9900/30, but with the bigger screen, but they couldn't do that. Tack on the BB10 OS, that is vastly different from 7, and I have to ask why? Instead of learning to deal with this new crappy OS, why not learn to deal with out the keyboard/buttons and go with Android and Apple, where they have proven, vastly superior OS/phones. And this from someone who HATES apple and doesnt like Android at all either.

Why should I either spend 200 bucks and be locked into a verizon contract for 2 years (which I haven't been for like 3 years now) or spend 400 bucks off contract...for a phone that I will like significantly less than my 9930? Add on top of that that I STILL can't use a blackberry to check my work email.

I'm better off buying a another 9930 when mine finally craps out where I'll have a phone that I know I can be happy with.

Long story short, by going to the Classic, I have to spend a good amount of money and be locked in to a contract, and gain absolutely nothing over my 9930, except screen size and a better browser (supposedly). The screen size on the 9930 has never bothered me, and yes the browser is absolute freaking garbage, but I didn't find the one on the Classic to be super awesome/fast either (it crashed on me probably 4 times in the store).

Sorry for the long winded post but really disappointed about the Classic.
    As for the look and feel, I can understand you, that's just personal preference and I understand that you may prefer the 9900 over the Classic for its design.
    But then you say you have just tried BB10 in store and that you disliked it. I tell you, that's not even close to enough time to embrace the OS. BB10 needs at least a week of time to get acquainted with, since it is a completely different experience. A good example is the HUB - you will only feel its power when you use it daily with the full amount of work you do.

One thing I'd like to add since I use BBOS from time to time. The point where I dislike the old OS the most are multimedia and web capability, with a strong emphasis on the latter. Especially as there are so many apps missing, BlackBerry users are forced to use the web browser for a multitude of things like bookings, research, navigation...
    This is where BBOS doesn't perform at all. The browser is slow and doesn't meet actual standards.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 06:40 AM
    This OS7/BB10 debate reminds me of what's happened with Windows, and I hope it ends with a similar result.

I've been using Windows for decades. It works. I don't care what the Mac lovers say, Windows works well. I don't particularly like Microsoft, but I'll say it again: Windows works well. Or it did.

Along comes Windows 8 and changes the entire workflow. It's new. But it's not more productive. In fact, it makes so many things harder. But we're all supposed to like it because it's new and it's progress, and as everyone knows, the latest version of [insert whatever here] is always the best. Right? So for a couple of years, we all put up with this dreadful sense that Microsoft is going in a new direction that we might have to ultimately accept when they discontinue updates for Windows 7.

And then the Windows 10 previews begin to emerge. What a relief.

Here's the end-game. I would not have happily switched to Windows 8 or any successor that stayed with the same user interface and workflow. But I will happily switch to Windows 10, because it incorporates the best of the old and new.

Likewise, I could not happily switch to BB10, because they changed the UI and workflow so radically, and did not include a lot of basic functionality. I think things are going in the right direction now, and it seems that BB10 is slowly moving towards that "Windows 10" moment instead of doing it all at once, the way Microsoft did. I see the Classic as the "Windows 9" version.
    DeliFresser likes this.
    03-19-15 10:46 AM
    This OS7/BB10 debate reminds me of what's happened with Windows, and I hope it ends with a similar result.

I've been using Windows for decades. It works. I don't care what the Mac lovers say, Windows works well. I don't particularly like Microsoft, but I'll say it again: Windows works well. Or it did.

Along comes Windows 8 and changes the entire workflow. It's new. But it's not more productive. In fact, it makes so many things harder. But we're all supposed to like it because it's new and it's progress, and as everyone knows, the latest version of [insert whatever here] is always the best. Right? So for a couple of years, we all put up with this dreadful sense that Microsoft is going in a new direction that we might have to ultimately accept when they discontinue updates for Windows 7.

Here's the end-game. I would not have happily switched to Windows 8 or any successor that stayed with the same user interface and workflow. But I will happily switch to Windows 10, because it incorporates the best of the old and new.

Likewise, I could not happily switch to BB10, because they changed the UI and workflow so radically, and did not include a lot of basic functionality. I think things are going in the right direction now, and it seems that BB10 is slowly moving towards that "Windows 10" moment instead of doing it all at once, the way Microsoft did. I see the Classic as the "Windows 9" version.
    You beat me to it. I was *just* thinking about writing the exact same thing.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-19-15 10:52 AM
    It makes perfect sense, if I'm forced to downgrade I'd rather change.

Change can be good, a downgrade is never good.
    Um, exactly how is a Classic a downgrade? If you start listing features it doesn't have, then does the other phones have those features?

03-19-15 05:24 PM
    Um, exactly how is a Classic a downgrade? If you start listing features it doesn't have, then does the other phones have those features?

They don't, but they have other value added services like proprietary cloud and email etc

What does BB10 have to offer? Android apps?
    03-20-15 01:18 AM
    They don't, but they have other value added services like proprietary cloud and email etc

What does BB10 have to offer? Android apps?
    Well first and foremost I don't like typing on glass AT ALL. Too many mistakes, and I'm too much of a perfectionist, so constantly going back to fix mistakes will make me pull out my hair. Secondly I actually really like the hub and how I can quickly check what notifications I got and then continue whatever I'm doing in my app all in one quick motion, I know you don't like it because it's not exactly how BBOS did it, but whatever. I like the universal search and all of the in-app keyboard shortcuts, one-button homescreen speed dialing, and pretty much everything that requires a keyboard that's always there rather than a virtual one that only shows up when the system thinks you need it. The email using activesync on BB10 does exactly what I want it to do, so don't see what the competition can offer for me there. And almost every little BBOS feature that is still missing can still be added to BB10 but most of them cannot be added to the others. Not to mention, any few seconds you save from the few still missing shortcuts on BBOS you lose watching the damn spinning clock icon that's now gone from our lives, thank-freakin-goodness... So hell yah BB10 with a Classic is an upgrade from legacy for me.

I'm sure you're going to pick out some super extremely specific situation where BBOS is so much better. So go ahead, knock yourself out.

And just so you know, I've used all of the other platforms, including Windows Phone. None of them have anything that BB10 doesn't have that I really care to have. I'm sure there are things they can do that BB10 cannot, but have yet to find one thing that I really want/need to have...

andy957 likes this.
    03-20-15 02:15 AM

This is a really good analogy. I think the one challenge in the potential outcome with BB10 to BB11 is that BB doesn't have the ridiculously deep pockets of Microsoft to be able to take a bad hit from Windows 8 or some of the other bad Windows versions. I, like you, continue to use Windows but I'm still on Win 7 for the exact reason you mention and I'm about to buy a new laptop with the Win 7 downgrade.

In the case of Microsoft, I'm not worried about Windows going away anytime soon so I didn't support Win 8 by buying it. But I think the BB situation is drastically different. Would I love for them to be able to get to a BB11 without any concerns - HELL yes, as it would make all of us very happy. But I started this thread (I am the OP) but I'm seriously concerned that BB won't be able to justify making future iterations of its handset hardware if the Classic doesn't sell well-enough. And I, for one, don't want us to not get to Blackberry's "Windows 10" or I will be forced to use a full touchscreen phone!

Anyhow, great analogy. Here's to hoping Blackberry has enough sales to get to its Windows 10, as it will likely be a very good OS!
    03-20-15 02:19 AM
    Well first and foremost I don't like typing on glass AT ALL. Too many mistakes, and I'm too much of a perfectionist, so constantly going back to fix mistakes will make me pull out my hair. Secondly I actually really like the hub and how I can quickly check what notifications I got and then continue whatever I'm doing in my app all in one quick motion, I know you don't like it because it's not exactly how BBOS did it, but whatever. I like the universal search and all of the in-app keyboard shortcuts, one-button homescreen speed dialing, and pretty much everything that requires a keyboard that's always there rather than a virtual one that only shows up when the system thinks you need it. The email using activesync on BB10 does exactly what I want it to do, so don't see what the competition can offer for me there. And almost every little BBOS feature that is still missing can still be added to BB10 but most of them cannot be added to the others. Not to mention, any few seconds you save from the few still missing shortcuts on BBOS you lose watching the damn spinning clock icon that's now gone from our lives, thank-freakin-goodness... So hell yah BB10 with a Classic is an upgrade from legacy for me.

I'm sure you're going to pick out some super extremely specific situation where BBOS is so much better. So go ahead, knock yourself out.

And just so you know, I've used all of the other platforms, including Windows Phone. None of them have anything that BB10 doesn't have that I really care to have. I'm sure there are things they can do that BB10 cannot, but have yet to find one thing that I really want/need to have...

Well done for looking at it from a completely selfish perspective, no wonder you don't understand why BB10 is being largely overlooked. BB leadership are in the same boat as you and then they wonder why they barely sell any devices.
    Magnetox likes this.
    03-20-15 03:57 AM
    Well done for looking at it from a completely selfish perspective, no wonder you don't understand why BB10 is being largely overlooked. BB leadership are in the same boat as you and then they wonder why they barely sell any devices.
    Much info, very proof, wow.

Where's doge when we need him? But we'll take your word for it...

03-20-15 08:56 AM
286 ... 678910 ...