Bold 9900/30 users are probably still using Windows XP as well...

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    Lol. And what's wrong with Xp for ms office and internet usage... Absolutely nothing. Works just fine so I know many people with old laptops and desktop who are using their computers just fine and no complaints, should they upgrade just to have windows tiles mess...
    Magnetox likes this.
    03-12-15 03:03 PM

For people who rely on their phones for more than texting and email, it's outdated and also basically obsolete.

If you only need a communication device, then stick to the legacy phones.
    That's a pretty strong endorsement for legacy phones. Or was that accidental? For those who primary purpose with the communications device.... is to communicate.....then legacy still rocks.

Coming on here and b*tching about bb10 vs bbos is asinine.

Why? Someone started a thread about it. Others chimed in. Isn't "disccusion" the whole purpose of a discussion board?

And btw, if BlackBerry were to stick to making bbos devices, those "many many" people you spoke of wouldn't have been enough to keep them alive, and that isn't speculation. that's what actually happened loll.
    BB actually sold more legacy phones for a year and a half after BB10 was released than they sold BB10 phones. Doesn't mean that would last forever, but in fact legacy did "keep them alive" for quite a white.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-12-15 03:21 PM
    This thread is not about whether BBOS is better or worse than BB10.

The OP was simply suggesting that if BlackBerry is going to continue making devices, they need to sell phones. If a current BBOS user wishes to one day purchase a pkb device once his current phone kicks the bucket, he may wish to consider upgrading now, otherwise the 9900 may be the last decent keyboard he'll ever own.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-12-15 03:28 PM
    That's a pretty strong endorsement for legacy phones. Or was that accidental? For those who primary purpose with the communications device.... is to communicate.....then legacy still rocks.

Why? Someone started a thread about it. Others chimed in. Isn't "disccusion" the whole purpose of a discussion board?

BB actually sold more legacy phones for a year and a half after BB10 was released than they sold BB10 phones. Doesn't mean that would last forever, but in fact legacy did "keep them alive" for quite a white.
    No it didn't. It outsold bb10 devices but it was still a shrinking market, smh.

What kept them alive was the restructuring after john Chen took over.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    03-12-15 03:55 PM

The OP was simply suggesting that if BlackBerry is going to continue making devices, they need to sell phones. If a current BBOS user wishes to one day purchase a pkb device once his current phone kicks the bucket, he may wish to consider upgrading now, otherwise the 9900 may be the last decent keyboard he'll ever own.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    If people are buying the Bold instead of no phone at all that still means money for BlackBerry.

It's not a users duty to act sheep like and buy something although it has flaws. Os7 had years to mature and yet bb threw it all away for an os that lacks in all areas compared to the two big dogs and can't do the tasks os7 did that well...So who's fault is that? The guys who were at the helm then.

I mean how often has bb stated that their main focus is communication and productivity plus security yet they've created an os that didn't shine in productivity so why should buy a more expensive version of something that works for them?
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-12-15 04:12 PM

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    You're right. However I think the whole discussion is kind of obsolete since the OP's concern is not based on any empirical data and is a dramatization of the actual situation. The very few users who stick to BBOS because they're so convinced that the OS is superior won't affect BlackBerry's position in the market in any significant way.

The rest of the BBOS users could probably be described in three major groups:

1. Corporate users who don't have any influence on the device they use because it is a company policy.

2. Those who will switch eventually

3. Those who won't switch anyways

Of those, the first one might be the most important one and BlackBerry has already introduced a good substitute for their legacy devices with the classic.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 04:13 PM
    You're right. However I think the whole discussion is kind of obsolete since the OP's concern is not based on any empirical data and is a dramatization of the actual situation. The very few users who stick to BBOS because they're so convinced that the OS is superior won't affect BlackBerry's position in the market in any significant way.

The rest of the BBOS users could probably be described in three major groups:

1. Corporate users who don't have any influence on the device they use because it is a company policy.

2. Those who will switch eventually

3. Those who won't switch anyways

Of those, the first one might be the most important one and BlackBerry has already introduced a good substitute for their legacy devices with the classic.

Posted via CB10
    I tend to agree that this probably isn't a big segment.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-12-15 04:20 PM
    If people are buying the Bold instead of no phone at all that still means money for BlackBerry.

It's not a users duty to act sheep like and buy something although it has flaws. Os7 had years to mature and yet bb threw it all away for an os that lacks in all areas compared to the two big dogs and can't do the tasks os7 did that well...So who's fault is that? The guys who were at the helm then.

I mean how often has bb stated that their main focus is communication and productivity plus security yet they've created an os that didn't shine in productivity so why should buy a more expensive version of something that works for them?
    I'm not suggesting anyone owes BlackBerry anything. I'm looking at it from a completely selfish point of view.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-12-15 04:21 PM

Well, sometimes I think it would be best if BlackBerry would develop a real Classic. Something like a 9900 using exactly the same UI as in legacy devices but added all the modern features a smartphone needs as well as great specs.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8063781) and VeryBumpy like this.
    03-12-15 04:59 PM
    No it didn't. It outsold bb10 devices but it was still a shrinking market, smh.

What kept them alive was the restructuring after john Chen took over.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    If it outsold BB10 devices....doesn't that mean it was more responsible for keeping them alive than the other thing they were selling?

And if only John Chen's restructuring kept them alive....which didn't start for a year and a half after BB10....what kept them going before that?
    03-12-15 07:46 PM
    I just ordered a 9930 on Ebay to use for a week. I want to remind myself how slow it is in regards to today's smartphone standards.

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    03-12-15 07:51 PM
    I just ordered a 9930 on Ebay to use for a week. I want to remind myself how slow it is in regards to today's smartphone standards.

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    Too bad that won't work out for you. As I said, I've been a BB10 user since it's inception and presently own both a Z30 and a 9900.

The 9900 is what wins me over.

Wait, why waste the money? Just so you can come onto a community forum and slam us legacy users some more?

Why not just fake it and keep to your current argument? It holds just as much weight.
    03-12-15 08:15 PM
    If it outsold BB10 devices....doesn't that mean it was more responsible for keeping them alive than the other thing they were selling?

And if only John Chen's restructuring kept them alive....which didn't start for a year and a half after BB10....what kept them going before that?
    Their cash? Loll. It was shrinking. They were losing money that entire period.

#CB10 #WorkWide
    03-12-15 08:22 PM
    Argument? There is no argument. BB10 rocks. And I will give credit where credit is due. The Bold 9900/30 is the best phone of 2011-2012.

I enjoyed it until BB10 came along. And for that I will consider it the best BBOS "legacy" device ever.

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    03-12-15 08:38 PM
    @ dmsbang

I have to disagree. I just switched to the Classic from 9900 and the calendar app is crap: it is slow, buggy, and not able to take rapid fire entries like on the Os 7 calendar. It's unfortunate we can't get the old OS 7 calendar app on BB10. What are BlackBerry thinking?

Besides this, everything else is pretty awesome on the Classic. But still, for many calendar is important, if not essential. I'm not super impressed with universal search and the phone function.

Posted via CB10
    Although I am OK with the calendar as is since I don't use it much but I agree regarding the universal search. The sad thing universal search used to be great before 10.3.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 08:41 PM
    I hear you completely. I would never have exchanged my Bold for the Classic but for the fact that fewer and fewer techs have been able (or maybe willing) to fix the keyboard problems the Bold has had. Now, I am learning a whole new BB, with lovely screen and speed, but there are so many frustrations, too. Only one ringtone that I can find so far--a small matter, but just one of many things I have to figure out. But, count me in among the physical keyboard loyalists. The fact that I have just spent 6 hours over the past two days in the Verizon store, just trying to transfer my stuff from the Bold to the Classic has still not discouraged me! Hang in!! I'm old, and not tech savvy, but I know what I like!
    03-12-15 08:53 PM
    The matter works two ways
    • if customers don't buy phones from BlackBerry, BlackBerry goes away. I'd be sad
    • if BlackBerry doesn't make phones customers like and buy, customers go away. I'd be reliant on my 9900 and 9900 spare.

I've bought a Q10 - but just to keep up with the software! I load up all the leaked OSs. It's improved, but not there yet -- at least for me !!

My device -- with all my contacts -- is the Bold 9900.

With thousands of contacts, and using Categories for Contacts, I'd lose Categories going to BB10.

So I will not go to BB10 until BlackBerry provides what they had for many years.

That's business, and while I'd be sad, I'm sad now.
    03-12-15 08:59 PM
    The matter works two ways
    • if customers don't buy phones from BlackBerry, BlackBerry goes away. I'd be sad
    • if BlackBerry doesn't make phones customers like and buy, customers go away. I'd be reliant on my 9900 and 9900 spare.

I've bought a Q10 - but just to keep up with the software! I load up all the leaked OSs. It's improved, but not there yet -- at least for me !!

My device -- with all my contacts -- is the Bold 9900.

With thousands of contacts, and using Categories for Contacts, I'd lose Categories going to BB10.

So I will not go to BB10 until BlackBerry provides what they had for many years.

That's business, and while I'd be sad, I'm sad now.
    I think you just won the thread.
    f1junkie likes this.
    03-12-15 09:42 PM
    Is there a prize?

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    03-12-15 09:55 PM
    to all you holds outs...thanks for making us #1....Apple

RIP BBRY
    Adam Rees likes this.
    03-12-15 10:05 PM
    I'm the OP and I have to say that I'm really happy my thread has spurred so much debate. I do want to clarify something, though, as it looks like a lot of the 9900 users who commented feel like those who are using a Classic (like me) are pointing fingers at them. In fact, I know that OS7 is better than OS10 for me and many others but I'm purposely using the Classic to support OS10 because it's the ONLY remaining modern physical keyboard option. And, as a victim who was literally just FORCED to switch their device (my Motorola Q9c battery is done and I can't buy another because it's too old), I have now been forced to use a Classic as my only modern choice for a physical keyboard phone. While it's definitely - definitely not perfect, I'm trying to embrace OS10 and accept the change that I didn't want to have to go through.

When I was FORCED to make this change it occurred to me that if the 9900s users don't upgrade to Classics then BB's hardware business won't continue. And my intention was to bring this to 9900 users' attention for them to consider. I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything except for considering that the future of BB's hardware division is in 9900 users' hands - it's really that simple. Clearly the 9900 users will eventually vote with their wallets and we'll see if BB's hardware division is still around in 1-2 years. Either way my goal was to make all 9900 users realize just how important their decision is when they decide to either keep or return the Classics they are trying. That's all - no fingers pointing at all.

So, for those 9900 users that are getting defensive, please understand that this isn't an attack and please don't focus on being defensive or you'll miss the whole point of this thread - thanks!
    03-12-15 10:19 PM
    We have categories on bb10...

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 11:32 PM
    I'm the OP and I have to say that I'm really happy my thread has spurred so much debate. I do want to clarify something, though, as it looks like a lot of the 9900 users who commented feel like those who are using a Classic (like me) are pointing fingers at them. In fact, I know that OS7 is better than OS10 for me and many others but I'm purposely using the Classic to support OS10 because it's the ONLY remaining modern physical keyboard option. And, as a victim who was literally just FORCED to switch their device (my Motorola Q9c battery is done and I can't buy another because it's too old), I have now been forced to use a Classic as my only modern choice for a physical keyboard phone. While it's definitely - definitely not perfect, I'm trying to embrace OS10 and accept the change that I didn't want to have to go through.

When I was FORCED to make this change it occurred to me that if the 9900s users don't upgrade to Classics then BB's hardware business won't continue. And my intention was to bring this to 9900 users' attention for them to consider. I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything except for considering that the future of BB's hardware division is in 9900 users' hands - it's really that simple. Clearly the 9900 users will eventually vote with their wallets and we'll see if BB's hardware division is still around in 1-2 years. Either way my goal was to make all 9900 users realize just how important their decision is when they decide to either keep or return the Classics they are trying. That's all - no fingers pointing at all.

So, for those 9900 users that are getting defensive, please understand that this isn't an attack and please don't focus on being defensive or you'll miss the whole point of this thread - thanks!
    I understand your intention and you at least provided it in a nice and friendly manner. Sadly, some other guys couldn't resist to use this thread for - again - making fun of the so called hold outs.

Some people have to rely on their phones a lot so if there are inconveniences that means less productivity which in fact means getting less stuff done. It's not like people aren't giving the classic a chance some here did but decided os7 is the better communication device. I mean allowing macros with shortcut me, programmable LED and a removable battery are all features that help getting the job done.

Sadly, some people don't understand that bb still gets the money it doesn't matter if it's from os7 or bb 10..assuming doo would be equal to Samsung or Apple care about whether they are getting their money from new or old devices..

Users - in most cases- are voting with their wallet so if a more expensive harder to learn device has less features the trade of may not be worth it for some of us. People were begging bb too release a new bold just with better specs and let's beer honest the classic isn't that and it's held back by an os which wasn't created with productivity in mind. Maybe BlackBerry gets there in the future, maybe not but one thing it's clear the Bolds will continue to sell till a real successor is seeing the light.
    03-13-15 12:25 AM
    wall of text
    ^This. Seriously, BlackBerry got my money when I bought my Z10, Z30, Q10, and Classic. They still get my money from my BIS subscription and the BES upgrade I'm doing in a few weeks to manage my BB10 devices. Besides that, they're STILL getting the money from BIS, and despite the nay sayers, BIS is NOT going away anytime soon. There's far too much using it, and there's absolutely no quotable emperical evidence to support that there isn't, CERTAINLY none that anyone else in this thread has provided despite being 'experts'.

To the OP, I'm not misunderstanding you. We ALL want BlackBerry to keep producing devices. It's unfortunate that BlackBerry, despite producing excellent devices, keeps throwing writing on the wall indicating they're moving away from hardware regardless. Look at the release of a lot of the BB10 features we enjoy on multiple platforms. Again, despite the 'experts' who likely never spent the money to try it out on other devices, it's quite an amazing suite being delivered to Android and iPhone. In terms of Touch Screen devices, the notion of an LG G3 or Nexus device running with the BlackBerry suite isn't all that unappealing considering the gains that you'd have in compatibility with Android apps.

The truth is, the Classic isn't it for me, but that doesn't mean that NO BlackBerry 10 device is for me. I DO keep my Z30 around for a reason, and you BETTER BELIEVE I'll be picking up the Slider when it releases. I've been all around work since the announcement of the Leap talking it up to people looking to replace their iPhones and whatnot and I've been largely successful based strictly on price point and price point alone.

Just because I personally choose to use a 9930 doesn't mean that I don't support BlackBerry, and there's a ton of legacy users who own devices in both camps. Everyone in my office that carries a Bold like me ALSO has at least a Z30 or Q10, some even have the Classic sitting in a box somewhere.

What blows my mind and causes a fallout in faith of the community is when I see the iSheep come out and start stomping on the legacy users without any idea of what they're talking about or having never owned an OS7 device.

There was a time when you'd hear about the CrackBerry Nation and it represented a unified front of enthusiasts rallying for a brand they believed in. Not so much anymore. That, in and of itself, is the biggest disappointment of BlackBerry 10 to date.
    f1junkie and ljfong like this.
    03-13-15 02:08 AM
    to all you holds outs...thanks for making us #1....Apple

RIP BBRY
    The holdouts are actually the reason BlackBerry still exists.

Posted via CB10
    Carrtman and andy957 like this.
    03-13-15 04:18 AM
286 ... 45678 ...