Wow. Opinion threads. They all become equally worthless by 100 posts.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    denicoespadilla and Adam Rees like this.
    03-11-15 01:35 AM
    Everybody is a CEO...in their own mind. Remember, this is a fan page first and foremost. Any credible helpful info actually gathered from these threads is a bonus. Nobody should be auditioning for a job with BlackBerry...

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    03-11-15 03:35 AM
    And that's the answer I was expecting. Don't want bb10 but I'll go for the less productive non BlackBerry route. Logic.

Posted via CB10
    "less productive non-blackberry route" is your interpretation. The choice is "full advantages of Android system with some very close similarities in efficiency"........or........."very close efficiency WITHOUT full advantages of Android system". Hmmmm.......which one should I choose?
    03-11-15 09:06 AM
    And that's the answer I was expecting. Don't want bb10 but I'll go for the less productive non BlackBerry route. Logic.

Posted via CB10
    I'm fairly sure that BlackBerry just launched the best parts of BB10 on Android and iPhone, and since Android would run all those Android apps natively and without Google Play Services issues, AND I can get Hub and whatnot, I'm fairly sure Android just became much more sexy in comparison to BB10.

There's also the fact that if BlackBerry turned off BIS, there's a host of government, educational, and private sector organizations that will respond to "We're cutting you all of now, because so and so from CrackBerry said so" and will likely not do so in a kind fashion. But go ahead, fantasize that there isn't a direct income stream from BIS.

You'll be kidding yourself, but if it helps you sleep better at night..
    f1junkie likes this.
    03-11-15 09:24 AM
    I'm fairly sure that BlackBerry just launched the best parts of BB10 on Android and iPhone, and since Android would run all those Android apps natively and without Google Play Services issues, AND I can get Hub and whatnot, I'm fairly sure Android just became much more sexy in comparison to BB10.
    Great point. If I weren't so addicted to a physical keyboard (and back button) and it's shortcuts, that would be a solid reason to consider an Android instead.
    03-11-15 09:36 AM
    Great point. If I weren't so addicted to a physical keyboard (and back button) and it's shortcuts, that would be a solid reason to consider an Android instead.
    I can't imagine a few apps or a skin on Android would even approach the same level of speed and effectiveness as a native BlackBerry device.

I also like my Android apps contained in their own little secure sandbox anyway, but that's another story.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    03-11-15 10:22 AM

There's also the fact that if BlackBerry turned off BIS, there's a host of government, educational, and private sector organizations that will respond to "We're cutting you all of now, because so and so from CrackBerry said so" and will likely not do so in a kind fashion. But go ahead, fantasize that there isn't a direct income stream from BIS.

You'll be kidding yourself, but if it helps you sleep better at night..
    Those BlackBerry 10 feature on other platforms are not free. And where will you get those keyboard shortcuts from? BlackBerry 10 keyboards are still what will come closest to 9900. So the logic makes no sense to me.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 10:57 AM
    ...Did I say I hated BB10? I don't hate BB10. It just doesn't do the things I need it to do as efficiently as BBOS7 does them, in my opinion.

I do enjoy my 9900. I'm not ignorant, I'm very aware it's the last of it's kind and that no further production of BBOS devices will occur. I don't see why you feel the need to remind me of something everyone is very aware of, except to rub in my face that I'm some old fart making a decision that you in your opinion is a poor one. Fortunately for me, my 9900 is brand spanking new -- Not refurbished and not used. I'll get a good 5 years of life out of it easily, assuming proper care and assuming BIS isn't shut down by then. Considering the size of the market that still carries BBOS devices for corporate, enterprise, and government use, I don't see that happening. Hopefully sometime between now and then a Classic refresh will occur offering me the things I need in my daily driver. Hopefully the toolbelt won't feel like a bolt on, either, as opposed to a bottom up essential part of the device.
    Well the information I got from BlackBerry is that the number of users of BIS is dwindling & it is going to come to a point where the networks will find it too expensive to maintain & they as a business decision will shut down BIS. This is going to happen very soon.

It is not up to BlackBerry but your telco's. Without BIS 9900 & other legacy devices will have difficulties to function.

So if you give BlackBerry 10 a chance, I'm sure it is not too different from your 9900. I switched & loved it. Yes, there are some functions that are not there anymore but I can't remember what it is any more coz the additional benefits outweigh the losses for me.

Good luck you guys.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 01:30 PM
    . Yes, there are some functions that are not there anymore but I can't remember what it is any more
    Here's a reminder....

- Holster profiles.
    - Instant opening of recent message when removing from holster.
    - Popup than can light screen and appear on top, like iPhone, Android, etc.
    - Calendar that lets you simply touch a day and then see the day with times, then touch a time and type the appointment then hit return.
    - Calendar that shows you how busy you are.
    - Bedside mode that happens as soon as you connect power but only if after a certain time. Now you must manually activate it 365 nights a year.
    -Shortcuts that don't require long presses.
    -convenience key
    -able to see notifications alerts (you missed something) even without a "peek" (it's on the bar on top)
    - able to see other critical info on the bar on top.
    - able to move icon row both horizontally and vertically
    - able to see status of all connection types on top bar

There's probably more I'm forgetting.
    03-11-15 01:52 PM
    Anyone want to list the many benefits of BlackBerry 10 that the Bold can't do. One is 4g and without 4g bla bla bla. I don't have to reboot ever and if I do its once a week. hub hub hub.

Here's a reminder....

- Holster profiles.
    - Instant opening of recent message when removing from holster.
    - Popup than can light screen and appear on top, like iPhone, Android, etc.
    - Calendar that lets you simply touch a day and then see the day with times, then touch a time and type the appointment then hit return.
    - Calendar that shows you how busy you are.
    - Bedside mode that happens as soon as you connect power but only if after a certain time. Now you must manually activate it 365 nights a year.
    -Shortcuts that don't require long presses.
    -convenience key
    -able to see notifications alerts (you missed something) even without a "peek" (it's on the bar on top)
    - able to see other critical info on the bar on top.
    - able to move icon row both horizontally and vertically
    - able to see status of all connection types on top bar

There's probably more I'm forgetting.

It's a BlackBerry Z30 on Big Red and still on 10.2.1
    03-11-15 02:46 PM
    The only thing I have to say about BB phones in regards to the physical keyboard is that I hope that BB never quits making them...this touch screen stuff is just crap! CRAP....using the touch keyboard is like trying to catch a butterfly in the rain with your eyes blindfolded! HATE, HATE, HATE the touch screen. I tried a touch screen from another phone manufacturer and I took it back the next day and went back to my Blackberry..I used the 9780 and it has been a good phone, and after 4 years I need another battery..not bad...
    03-11-15 04:43 PM
    I actually kind of understand both sides here. I currently use my Passport but for some reason I keep my old 9790 on my nightstand and use it from time to time in pure nostalgia. I definitely prefer the simplicity of BBOS, its pure focus on communication. I also prefer the interaction design of BBOS7 but maybe that's only because it feels so familiar.
    That's exactly the point that has been brought up here though. Is this just in the users minds, that BBOS just feels so comfortable and familiar? I don't know... BB10 just feels so boring sometimes.

But then again, BBOS is way behind the present. It is almost impossible to use unless you are 100% dedicated to communication. It's kind of sad but it's a thing of the past in so many ways. Smartphones have become pocket computers and they're used for about everything. There's social media like instagram for which people need great cameras and there's much more. The browser on BBOS7 is only usable with lots of patience too. Let's not even get started about apps - we all know this is even bad on BB10, let alone BBOS7. All for efficiency? I don't even know how this can be more efficient than BB10.

But still... there has to be something about the legacy devices that is just very appealing but I can't exactly determine what it is. What's for sure though, I haven't ever used any of my old Android phones after they have been replaced. So why are people doing that with BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 04:54 PM
    The only thing I have to say about BB phones in regards to the physical keyboard is that I hope that BB never quits making them...this touch screen stuff is just crap! CRAP....using the touch keyboard is like trying to catch a butterfly in the rain with your eyes blindfolded! HATE, HATE, HATE the touch screen. I tried a touch screen from another phone manufacturer and I took it back the next day and went back to my Blackberry..I used the 9780 and it has been a good phone, and after 4 years I need another battery..not bad...
    I don't know, I think you might be holding back. Why don't you tell me how you REALLY feel?
    baspeed and BB_Junky like this.
    03-11-15 05:20 PM
    Anyone want to list the many benefits of BlackBerry 10 that the Bold can't do. One is 4g and without 4g bla bla bla. I don't have to reboot ever and if I do its once a week. hub hub hub.
    Well hey, I'm glad my Bold has 4G. What you call Hub I call Message Center.

Tell me again how my Bold is fail.

Well the information I got from BlackBerry is that the number of users of BIS is dwindling & it is going to come to a point where the networks will find it too expensive to maintain & they as a business decision will shut down BIS. This is going to happen very soon.
    Okay so, wait, BlackBerry came to you, personally, and told you, personally, that BIS is in the crapper and will be shutting down soon.

Please cite your source so I can call in and verify that information.

---------------------------------------------------

That all being said, I held my Z30 and Bold side by side and tried to decide what meaningful things my Z30 does that my Bold doesn't. For my personal usage scenario, the Z30 doesn't bring anything more than a bigger screen to the table for me. Well, I get to hug a wall a lot more during the day since the battery can't keep up. But that's not really a benefit.

If the Bold is such a terribad phone, the chief executive of Google would be using an Android phone, NOT a Bold 9900.
    03-11-15 11:56 PM
    If the Bold is such a terribad phone, the chief executive of Google would be using an Android phone, NOT a Bold 9900.
    Nobody said the Bold 9900 is a terrible phone. It's actually surprising that such an old phone is still used by a remarkable user base. However, while it might still be great as a sole communication device, maybe even better than many of the actual flagships, the limit is reached as soon as it comes to modern use-cases. So if you're not willing to either carry two phones, or use it as a communicator only, you will eventually be forced to switch.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-15 04:43 AM
    Well hey, I'm glad my Bold has 4G. What you call Hub I call Message Center.

Tell me again how my Bold is fail.

Okay so, wait, BlackBerry came to you, personally, and told you, personally, that BIS is in the crapper and will be shutting down soon.

Please cite your source so I can call in and verify that information.

---------------------------------------------------

That all being said, I held my Z30 and Bold side by side and tried to decide what meaningful things my Z30 does that my Bold doesn't. For my personal usage scenario, the Z30 doesn't bring anything more than a bigger screen to the table for me. Well, I get to hug a wall a lot more during the day since the battery can't keep up. But that's not really a benefit.

Yea, you lost all credibility there bud.

The z30 battery can't keep up to the 9900? Uh....

Nobody said the bold was a bad phone. Nice logic there too, if google's ceo uses a bold then it must be good? Lolll Ok.

#dirtythirty #naturalsound #CB10 #glassweave
    BB_Junky likes this.
    03-12-15 08:28 AM
    I actually kind of understand both sides here. I currently use my Passport but for some reason I keep my old 9790 on my nightstand and use it from time to time in pure nostalgia. I definitely prefer the simplicity of BBOS, its pure focus on communication. I also prefer the interaction design of BBOS7 but maybe that's only because it feels so familiar.
    That's exactly the point that has been brought up here though. Is this just in the users minds, that BBOS just feels so comfortable and familiar? I don't know... BB10 just feels so boring sometimes.

But then again, BBOS is way behind the present. It is almost impossible to use unless you are 100% dedicated to communication. It's kind of sad but it's a thing of the past in so many ways. Smartphones have become pocket computers and they're used for about everything. There's social media like instagram for which people need great cameras and there's much more. The browser on BBOS7 is only usable with lots of patience too. Let's not even get started about apps - we all know this is even bad on BB10, let alone BBOS7. All for efficiency? I don't even know how this can be more efficient than BB10.

But still... there has to be something about the legacy devices that is just very appealing but I can't exactly determine what it is. What's for sure though, I haven't ever used any of my old Android phones after they have been replaced. So why are people doing that with BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    Yea that's exactly it. I switch back and forth between bb10 and bbos because I get bored of both. I even have an android when I get bored of BlackBerry.

For email and texting, I actually prefer bbos.

But for everything else, as mentioned, little pocket computers, the legacy devices do not and cannot play that role.

I'm sure there are people that find bbos confusing and inefficient and prefer flip phones if all they do is make phone calls LOL. But carry on legacy fanatics, if it works for you then good.

03-12-15 08:38 AM
    Yea, you lost all credibility there bud.

The z30 battery can't keep up to the 9900? Uh....

Nobody said the bold was a bad phone. Nice logic there too, if google's ceo uses a bold then it must be good? Lolll Ok.

I didn't loose any credibility at all. I can replace my Bold's battery throughout the day, meaning I don't have to hug walls at all. With my Z30 I have to hug a wall for some of my day to charge. Considering batteries are $5 now-a-days, it isn't hard to keep a few around.

My point in using Google's CEO as a reference was to point out that even in a modern all-app world, the Bold 9900 and OS7 as a whole still shines for many many people. So to point blanche state that BlackBerry should totally kill support for OS7 because us legacy bastards are evil and holding back the future is kind of a short sighted remark to be making.
    f1junkie likes this.
    03-12-15 09:13 AM
    I didn't loose any credibility at all. I can replace my Bold's battery throughout the day, meaning I don't have to hug walls at all. With my Z30 I have to hug a wall for some of my day to charge. Considering batteries are $5 now-a-days, it isn't hard to keep a few around.

My point in using Google's CEO as a reference was to point out that even in a modern all-app world, the Bold 9900 and OS7 as a whole still shines for many many people. So to point blanche state that BlackBerry should totally kill support for OS7 because us legacy bastards are evil and holding back the future is kind of a short sighted remark to be making.
    The bb10 hardcore crowd is the reason why this place has become so unreadable and toxic. Who the hell do these guys believe they are? Smart people are buying what works best for them, period.

It's amazing that their constant complaining and hardcore ridicule can fly here...As if it's the users fault that bb10 isn't as fluid as os7 and bb failed to release anything close to the workhorse that is the bb 9900. I love my Note 4 but man typing and quick shortcut like navigation on the bold is unmatched.

This stupid aggressive nature, fan sheep like behaviour and "kill the best thing bb has going good it" is do freaking nuts I've never witnessed such an arrogant, insufferable crowd on a tech or a handy forum. Instead of liking their device they just have to annoy other people with endless remarks..unbelievable.

Whether people can accept it or not fact is this: the Bold still sells and the reason is simple because it's the best pkbp available and the best phone bb ever made in terms of user experience.
    andy957 likes this.
    03-12-15 09:28 AM
    I know what the bold does my Z30 doesn't..... lagging lol

It's a BlackBerry Z30 on Big Red and still on 10.2.1
    BB_Junky likes this.
    03-12-15 09:38 AM
    Bold 9900/30 users are probably still using Windows XP as well...

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    03-12-15 11:35 AM
    BlackBerry 10 users are probably using Windows 8 updating it every day, plus ribbon office as well...
    Q10Bold likes this.
    03-12-15 12:03 PM

Yea, for people who only need texting and email, it shines.

For people who just make calls, flip phones still shine.

For people who rely on their phones for more than texting and email, it's outdated and also basically obsolete.

If you only need a communication device, then stick to the legacy phones.

If someone wants a modern device that includes functions that go beyond messaging, bb10 is pretty good as far as modern phones go. Also handles communications better than competing OS's. Maybe not as "efficient " as bbos, but I'm comparing the phone as a whole, not as a texting and email device.

Coming on here and b*tching about bb10 vs bbos is asinine.

The only thing BlackBerry did wrong was not having bb10 released when they still had momentum and popular support. It's good they're releasing the hub and keyboard cross platform now before someone else does it, just like BBM vs whatsapp (ie too late)

And btw, if BlackBerry were to stick to making bbos devices, those "many many" people you spoke of wouldn't have been enough to keep them alive, and that isn't speculation. that's what actually happened loll.

Last edited by evodevo69; 03-12-15 at 01:04 PM.
    03-12-15 12:53 PM
    Double post
    03-12-15 12:57 PM
    Bold 9900/30 users are probably still using Windows XP as well...

Posted via Ganon the Z30
    The latest version of Debian, thank you very much. However, you can still run XP and keep getting updates until around 2019, with a simple registry change. Someone posted the fix on thinkpads.com.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-12-15 12:59 PM
286 ... 34567 ...