BlackBerry shouldn't care about the remaining BBOS users. they will not bring their company back to growth. They will aim higher than that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Dave Bourque; 03-10-15 at 12:41 PM.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-10-15 11:39 AM
    I understand the OP's point as it's very much like the vaccination debate. (Just in terms of the logic - I'm not comparing the importance)

If enough OTHER people vaccinate, then 1) I won't have to, and 2) I probably won't die from measles.

If enough OTHER people buy BB10 phones, then 1) I won't have to, and 2) BlackBerry will probably still be around and making physical keyboards when my BB7 falls apart.

Although at the end of the day, this is just a phone.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    Last edited by conite; 03-10-15 at 12:26 PM.
    03-10-15 12:01 PM
    I understand the OP's point as it's very much like the vaccination debate. (Just in terms of the logic - I'm not comparing the importance)

If enough OTHER people vaccinate, then 1) I won't have to, and 2) I probably won't die from measles.

If enough OTHER people buy BB10 phones, then 1) I won't have to, and 2) BlackBerry will probably still be around and making physical keyboards when my BB7 falls apart.

Although at the end of the day, this is just a phone.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2267
    This is definitely a good way of looking at it. Although it is just a phone (clearly), it's probably tied for my most important business tool with my laptop. I work for myself and I'm dependent on a productive phone that is EASY to use to get through my day of 3-5+ hours of calls + 100-200 e-mails. So I'm very passionate about it because it's vital to me on a daily basis.

I'm a long-term thinker for my job and, based on most of the responses I have seen in this thread, I believe most are thinking short-term and subscribing to the "I'm not getting a vaccine" view, which is a shame. People are very naive if they think that just because BB has released 2 keyboard phone in the last 2 years that there automatically be others. Sales of the Classic will clearly dictate what will happen in the future. I like using extreme examples to make a point: If they sold 5 Classics this year then they probably won't make another keyboard phone. While they will definitely sell more than 5, you better believe that they have an internal minimum sales requirement to substantiate the creation and release of their next keyboard phone...

While I'm definitely glad that people have read and participated in this thread, I'm thinking that less people understand the importance/significance of Classic sales than I would have liked...
    03-10-15 12:39 PM
    It's not quite there because the OS is quite different.

Haven't you realized already, the only way to lure some of these people is to basically release a phone with OS8.0 loll.

BB10 is their problem, not the phone.

If I had to take only one phone with me, I'd be a bb10 phone as it has a lot of functionality.

But I get it the annoyance of having to do or learn things a different way. It's not that the calendar app is crap, it's that it's different.

And I guess because it's seen as an "upgrade" or another BlackBerry product, they expect it to be the same as their 9900. So the Classic or bb10 is unacceptable to them, because it requires a new learning curve - whereas iphone or android IS acceptable, because it requires a new learning curve - go figure.

For the core uses required by BlackBerry users, Bb10 is the best thing on the market and people saying they'll just switch to iPhone just shows how idiotic their complaints are against the Classic.

#CB10 #glassweave #qwerty
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-10-15 01:25 PM
    No cares what the os is called ie os7 8 or bb10.

No one is really complaining about the look and flow of bb10... Most are ok or in fact like the hub.

What we complain about is lost functionality, how convoluted it is to complish a simple task, not the qnx but ***** thinking of the front end programmers. Also, menu system is complex for no reason.. The 3 dots idea isn't even well thought out either. At least the call and hangup buttons are back which helps a bit. But when you see how ridiculous the calendar app is now, when see how silly bbm update was to have stickers as default and needing an immediate fix, it shows how confused bb is in regards to 89-90% of their core long standing user base...

Their trying to be someone they are not and looking silly in the process..like an iOS poser when bb buyers could care less about iOS and how it looks, what it does etc. sooo many are bb buyers are ok with smaller screens, gimmicky interfaces don't matter to us.. Why do 3 swipes when could just do it with a single button..

We want solidly built devices.
    We want great email handling.
    We want convince keys..which are still missing.
    We want long battery life over slimness and design.
    We want a good camera which is still lacking.
    We want good antenneas.
    We want good professional calendar!!!!
    We want a non childish bbm..
    We want keyboards, at the expense of screen size.
    We want a full touch option with current fast specs and slider seems a lot of people feel a good best of both worlds. That said, I don't see what they can't do it like iPhone and do it as a slider and non slider and call the slider rio and rio x or rio pro etc. and have the non slider with slightly better spec
    I'd like a bb cloud server, that backs up all my settings, files etc.. Not a third party one but a bb one.

But what do I know .. Only a bb user for over 10 years...
    Last edited by diehardbbuser; 03-10-15 at 06:32 PM.
    03-10-15 06:16 PM
    I've had every major BlackBerry phone through Verizon since the pager. BB10 by far is the cream of the crop, specifically the Classic and Z30.

When I think of the Bold 9900/30, I think greatness...but I also think outdated.

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    03-10-15 06:24 PM
    The menu system is complex??...

Posted via CB10
    Rowan M likes this.
    03-10-15 06:32 PM
    Right - so your logic is to switch over the iOS or Android, which BB10 is very similar to in terms of being a modern OS.

Just acknowledge you're too stubborn to learn and appreciate how much MORE functionality and productive bb10 actually is over bbos.

It's more complex? The calendar app is crap?

Ok - let's ask someone who's been using iOS for their whole lives because they're too young to remember BlackBerry and see what they say when we give them a bbos phone. They'll probably say it's garbage, complicated, etc

I've seen it over and over again, whenever people switch from iOS to Android or vice versa, they always think whatever they're used to was the better way to do things - pretty clear case to me.

Don't worry, BlackBerry will probably keep supporting BIS until the day they close down so keep enjoying your old Bold's.

denicoespadilla likes this.
    03-10-15 06:40 PM
    9900 offers more value.
    if the Classic came with IPS display, iPhone caliber cameras, etc .. then it would be a diffent story
    03-10-15 07:51 PM
    9900 offers more value.
    if the Classic came with IPS display, iPhone caliber cameras, etc .. then it would be a diffent story
    Classic is a IPS display... camera?... huh.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 07:56 PM
    Right - so your logic is to switch over the iOS or Android, which BB10 is very similar to in terms of being a modern OS.

Just acknowledge you're too stubborn to learn and appreciate how much MORE functionality and productive bb10 actually is over bbos.
    Try reading. Might help.

If BB10 is more productive and functional for YOU, then good for YOU. The fact remains that I can run circles around my Z30 with my Bold in terms of communications efficiency, which is more important to ME, though perhaps not YOU.

We don't care about all the extra "features". I used the analogy before, you can give us a car with massaging leather seats and a built in computer so fast and intelligent that it actually solved the cure for cancer, but if it's got a little 2-stroke in it and can't go faster than 10 mph, we don't want it.

BB10 supports Android apps. Great. BB10 appears to have a faster user interface (it doesn't). Great. BB10 has x, y, and z features. Great.

For $100, I can have a phone with replaceable batteries that does everything I need with proven reliability and a track record. That's more value than a $450 Classic that does what I need, slower, and has a million bells and whistles that I don't care about. This coming from people that picked up a Z10 on day one and used it regularly up until now.

Tell me again how I'm short sighted, or how I'm too stubborn, or how I can't appreciate what BB10 is. Go ahead. I dare you.
    03-10-15 10:10 PM
    Why would any typical non-techie user drop the iPhone and learn a new OS? What particularly does BlackBerry offer them that the iPhone does not? A new inbox combining emails with texts and twitter feeds? That's not enough of a reason and in fact, for those non-techies who like simplicity and continuity, it might just seem like a confusing change. Of course, you can argue all you like, but I have a billion non-switching iPhone and android users as evidence for my contention.
    You could pretty much ask the same question about Android. Why would anyone drop them and learn something new. The simple answer is that there is something lacking that something else might have, or that they just don't like some aspect about the product or the company. The easiest and most obvious difference for BlackBerry is the good old physical keyboard, and the super efficient communications, plus a bunch of other things people that never had a BlackBerry wouldn't know about and assume they must put up with on the other device.

I know a handful of people that left iPhone and the usual reasons are a mix of iTunes (that they're forced to use), the limited OS, the slick tactics from Apple of planned obsolescence and proprietary accessories and interfaces, battery life, or just cost.

BlackBerry pretty much knows this which is why they aren't trying to get the average iPhone owner who has no sense of history in the evolution of phones and has no knowledge of the key differences. It's too hard to sell to those people who repsond much more to the methods that Apple uses.
    anon(8063781) likes this.
    03-10-15 10:16 PM
    I have this crazy silly idea, but what not just produce something unique and innovative enough that people would want to buy in lieu of their Android/iPhone device?

Or here's another crazy idea. Actually market your stuff for a change. That'd be a huge boon.
    anon(8063781) and f1junkie like this.
    03-10-15 10:22 PM
    BB10 is their problem, not the phone.
    Yes, I think that is obvious. BB10 (which is installed on the phone) has more unnecessary actions and less functions that the phone from 2011.

But I get it the annoyance of having to do or learn things a different way. It's not that the calendar app is crap, it's that it's different.
    I don't think it has anything to do with an "annoyance of having to do or learn things a different way", or that people 'just hate change" (gotta love that ridiculously overused line), because high tech people buy new stuff all the time love exploring what it can do. The problem is when you get something new and you explore it and then find out it's worse than the one you had before....that's what's annoying.

So it doesn't matter that's its just different. It could be different in a good way, say... by adding functions. Certainly BB10 did add a few functions....like, um....well, um....still thinking....oh, a browser. And Android stuff. But when you take away functions, you are getting closer to crap. Let's face it: a calendar that doesn't actually tell you how busy you are on a given day.....is crap. What's next? A calendar that doesn't have any actual times....just days? Gosh....that's so "different" that it must be cool.
    03-10-15 10:27 PM
    Yes, I think that is obvious. BB10 (which is installed on the phone) has more unnecessary actions and less functions that the phone from 2011.

I don't think it has anything to do with an "annoyance of having to do or learn things a different way", or that people 'just hate change" (gotta love that ridiculously overused line), because high tech people buy new stuff all the time love exploring what it can do. The problem is when you get something new and you explore it and then find out it's worse than the one you had before....that's what's annoying.

So it doesn't matter that's its just different. It could be different in a good way, say... by adding functions. Certainly BB10 did add a few functions....like, um....well, um....still thinking....oh, a browser. And Android stuff. But when you take away functions, you are getting closer to crap. Let's face it: a calendar that doesn't actually tell you how busy you are on a given day.....is crap. What's next? A calendar that doesn't have any actual times....just days? Gosh....that's so "different" that it must be cool.
    BlackBerry 10 calendar and search function were perfect before 10.3... they took a step back in some and step forward in others.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 10:31 PM
    Oh snap!

Guess who still uses a BlackBerry? (A BlackBerry Bold 9900 to be exact)

Please, keep telling us how BB10 makes OS7 look like a useless dinosaur that BlackBerry should totally stop supporting RIGHT NOW or they'll die.
    f1junkie likes this.
    03-10-15 10:33 PM
    Oh snap!

Guess who still uses a BlackBerry? (A BlackBerry Bold 9900 to be exact)

Please, keep telling us how BB10 makes OS7 look like a useless dinosaur that BlackBerry should totally stop supporting RIGHT NOW or they'll die.
    They are already shutting down OS7 services. BlackBerry trafic is shutting down this month.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 10:37 PM
    They are already shutting down OS7 services. BlackBerry trafic is shutting down this month.

Posted via CB10
    That hardly constitutes shutting down the OS7 servers. Let's call it what it is: They're discontinuing BlackBerry Traffic.

Let's not be sensationalist iUsers now.
    03-10-15 10:40 PM
    That hardly constitutes shutting down the OS7 servers. Let's call it what it is: They're discontinuing BlackBerry Traffic.

Let's not be sensationalist iUsers now.
    I'm saying the process is starting...

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 10:48 PM
    And BlackBerry will gladly shut it all down if it means making more money. Forcing users to upgrade to Classic. Where else can they go. Nowhere.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-15 10:50 PM
    And BlackBerry will gladly shut it all down if it means making more money. Forcing users to upgrade to Classic. Where else can they go. Nowhere.

Posted via CB10
    They can't just flat out leave BlackBerry? Be careful if you give an ultimatum to someone....they just might call your bluff and get an Android that comes as close as possible. Believe me, I've considered it many times, and only after realizing the Moto X still couldn't do everything the 9900 could, I clung to the 9900.

I think most legacy BB users are fully aware of BB10 and have chosen not to go to it because of it's shortcomings that are well documented. Turning off OS7 doesn't necessarily "force" them to do anything, otherwise BB would have done it long ago. Yea, some may buy a BB10, others may just say "screw it....I'll get an iPhone".
    03-10-15 11:10 PM
    BB10 shortcomings? LOL, the OS is great...maybe the greatest and most underrated currently available.

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    03-10-15 11:15 PM
    They can't just flat out leave BlackBerry? Be careful if you give an ultimatum to someone....they just might call your bluff and get an Android that comes as close as possible. Believe me, I've considered it many times, and only after realizing the Moto X still couldn't do everything the 9900 could, I clung to the 9900.

I think most legacy BB users are fully aware of BB10 and have chosen not to go to it because of it's shortcomings that are well documented. Turning off OS7 doesn't necessarily "force" them to do anything, otherwise BB would have done it long ago. Yea, some may buy a BB10, others may just say "screw it....I'll get an iPhone".
    I agree. If I'm forced to buy a new phone because the 9900 is outmoded in some unaddressable way, I'll probably look for something I can run native apps on. I have no idea what will be available at that point... On a side note, fortunately, you can't turn off OS7. You can only turn off the BlackBerry servers, and there are alternatives to BIS.
    03-10-15 11:47 PM
    Try reading. Might help.

If BB10 is more productive and functional for YOU, then good for YOU. The fact remains that I can run circles around my Z30 with my Bold in terms of communications efficiency, which is more important to ME, though perhaps not YOU.

We don't care about all the extra "features". I used the analogy before, you can give us a car with massaging leather seats and a built in computer so fast and intelligent that it actually solved the cure for cancer, but if it's got a little 2-stroke in it and can't go faster than 10 mph, we don't want it.

BB10 supports Android apps. Great. BB10 appears to have a faster user interface (it doesn't). Great. BB10 has x, y, and z features. Great.

For $100, I can have a phone with replaceable batteries that does everything I need with proven reliability and a track record. That's more value than a $450 Classic that does what I need, slower, and has a million bells and whistles that I don't care about. This coming from people that picked up a Z10 on day one and used it regularly up until now.

Tell me again how I'm short sighted, or how I'm too stubborn, or how I can't appreciate what BB10 is. Go ahead. I dare you.
    Ok, look - if BlackBerry had, what you say, is the best phone for you, and all you need is communication efficiency, which I don't deny as far as the 9900 goes, the market indicated otherwise.

What I'm trying to say is - and have always said - if a bbos user HAS TO upgrade to a MODERN OS, they have either iOS, Android, Windows, or BB10 to choose from. And out all of them, BB10 is the CLOSEST thing to the BlackBerry experience (communication and productivity) that you can find.

As far as a MODERN OS is concerned, which is what the market as demonstrated very clearly, people want apps, browsing, navigation, videos, games, list goes on and the bold 9900 doesn't provide anything remotely close to what a modern smart phone provides. Even the battery life is a joke.

Now, if all you need is to "communicate" and use the calendar, and use short-cut keys and press a "convenience" key to launch a camera, carry on with your legacy devices as they're still currently supported.

Oh, and your bold runs circles around your Z30 in terms of communications efficiency? LOL care to share examples, I'm curious as to what you consider as "running circles" b/c I use a 9900 and a Q10 each day and can't quite make the same claim.

Last edited by evodevo69; 03-11-15 at 12:15 AM.
    Mr4aces likes this.
    03-10-15 11:59 PM

And that's the answer I was expecting. Don't want bb10 but I'll go for the less productive non BlackBerry route. Logic.

Posted via CB10
    03-11-15 12:53 AM
286 ... 23456 ...