As a very long-time and die hard physical keyboard user (my most recent phone was the Motorola Q9c - since 2008 - until I just bought my Classic days ago), I am starting this thread to plead to 9900 users to think twice before they go back to their 9900s - regardless of whether their 9900s are more efficient (which they are), as the fate of BB and future physical keyboard phone rests in your hands and I, for one, want to be able to user a physical keyboard in the future!!

The way I see it, if the Classic doesn't appeal to enough 9900 users then BB won't be making hardware for much longer. If anyone here thinks BB is selling enough all-touchscreen phones to consumers (ie. non-business users) then they are simply wrong when you look at their current market share. I, for one, want to see BB continue on as a hardware manufacturer, as I just bought the Classic because it's the ONLY keyboard phone out there that has physical buttons. And I don't want to lose that hardware option in the future, as I REALLY don't want a touchscreen keyboard!

I can ABSOLUTELY see how a 9900 user would try the Classic and give up after a few days. BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM WITH ALL OF THE 9900 USERS GOING BACK TO THE CLASSIC: You will all be more efficient in the short-term but you'll lose the only physical keyboard hardware manufacturer in the long-term and we'll all be SCREWED (I am serious)!!!!

For those 9900 users who can't deal with the inefficiencies of the Classic (and there really are many), the only solution I can think of after several days of Classic use is to setup as many options/shortcuts as you can to make the phone as productive as possible. I'm actually in the midst of reading the 200 page manual and it has already increased my efficiency via minor options/tweaks that I didn't realize was available. If there's one thing about BB10 that is impressive it's the customization. It takes a LOT of work to customize everything but it's definitely increasing my efficiency daily. Is it as efficient as my Motorola Q9c or your 9900? NO. But I have done what 9900 users NEED to do for the future of BB and the physical keyboard - I decided that I was going to stick with the Classic regardless of its efficiencies and inefficiencies. In my case it's because I can no longer buy a fresh battery for my Motorola Q9c, as my phone is too old, and eventually that will be the case with the 9900 as well. But in the case of 9900 users it NEEDS to be because they want to save the physical keyboard phone.

So for those 9900 users who try the classic and go back to their 9900s - please think about this carefully before you run back to your 9900s! The fate of BB's next phones rests in your hands!
    03-07-15 12:46 PM
    9900/30 efficiency Vs. BB10 phones like the Classic is a myth. It's all in the user's head. I've used them all in both business and personal environments and BB10 is the way to go.

Posted via Ocarina the Classic
    03-07-15 12:50 PM
    @ dmsbang

I have to disagree. I just switched to the Classic from 9900 and the calendar app is crap: it is slow, buggy, and not able to take rapid fire entries like on the Os 7 calendar. It's unfortunate we can't get the old OS 7 calendar app on BB10. What are BlackBerry thinking?

Besides this, everything else is pretty awesome on the Classic. But still, for many calendar is important, if not essential. I'm not super impressed with universal search and the phone function.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 04:03 PM
    It's obvious if you use the Bold 9900/30 for years, you'll get used to its calendar. But it's very hard to fairly compare the brief use of the BB10 calendar to one you've used a very long time. It's definitely adequate...

03-07-15 04:09 PM
    One MAJOR difference is the homescreens keyboard shortcuts..
    BBOS let you choose between "type to universal search" and "homescreens shortcuts".
    The shortcuts didn't require a hold.

Meaning, you could type "b" to open browser or "u" to open the calculator.
    Now you have to type "B" or "U" (press and hold)..

I'm happy with it working this way when the homescreen setting is set to universal search. But I want the ability, like bbos, to change from assistant to shortcuts, and have the shortcuts activate on keypress instead of hold

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    alimin likes this.
    03-07-15 04:15 PM
    One MAJOR difference is the homescreens keyboard shortcuts..
    BBOS let you choose between "type to universal search" and "homescreens shortcuts".
    The shortcuts didn't require a hold.

Meaning, you could type "b" to open browser or "u" to open the calculator.
    Now you have to type "B" or "U" (press and hold)..

I'm happy with it working this way when the homescreen setting is set to universal search. But I want the ability, like bbos, to change from assistant to shortcuts, and have the shortcuts activate on keypress instead of hold

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2480 | any questions? Feel free to shoot me a msg @ http://www.pin.bbm.com/C003EA0BE
    I actually like that idea a lot.

I use keyboard shortcuts on my passport, but honestly because of the hold delay it isn't much faster to press and hold a letter then to just swipe to the side and click it's icon - negating much of the benefit of the shortcut in the first place.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    03-07-15 04:36 PM
    We are talking about mere seconds....how are those app installs, Internet browsing, and other various lags on the Bold 9900/30?

03-07-15 04:37 PM
    Way to go, agree 100% we need to keep BB around producing keyboard phones, I LOVE them, and I will not use an on screen keyboard, I have tried many times, Husband has one, and I don't like them at all, they are fine if you want to send a few text, tweets etc but horrible for many emails every day.

I got a Passport last month, unfortunately it is back at BB getting fixed, so I went out and bought a Classic on Friday and loving it. I moved off my 9900 when I got my Passport and found it a little difficult, but the Classic is like a welcome friend, I wish I knew how to put my favorites on the home screen, but maybe someone could tell me :-)
    03-07-15 04:48 PM
    I agree, we have to keep the phys KB alive. My wife has an S4 that I can't type on to save my life. She thinks I'm nuts for using an 'old style' qwerty board, I think she's nuts for type touch.

Posted from my Classic
    03-07-15 04:54 PM
    We are talking about mere seconds....how are those app installs, Internet browsing, and other various lags on the Bold 9900/30?

No, we're not talking about seconds
    We're talking about "flow" ie efficiency and intuitive usage

9900 lagging = bb10 transitions
    For example, typing m to open messages on the 9900 was instant. If it lagged, it took a second. Bb10 is never instant, there is always a wait period. Now, not only do we have to view the transition, we have to wait first.

And the 9900 didn't lag much and comparing to bb10, just switching between messages using N and P is slow.. imaging if you had to hold B to go to the bottom of a webpage, or hold space to page down.
    It's annoying and its a silly change.

VeryBumpy and adamkurihara like this.
    03-07-15 05:03 PM
    I initially had a bberry 9900, but after several problems with the keyboard including two keyboard changes and then having a letter fall off. Also had a faulty belt, I gave up on blackberry for awhile. Then I realized how much I missed the keyboard and started using a Q10. I have my eye on the passport, but also checking out the Classic. I think that the Bb10 OS is very different, and will take some getting used to. But the screen real estate alone on the Passport and the Classic should be enough to keep someone loving bberry 10.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    03-07-15 05:12 PM
    I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm for keyboards but my point here is that any 9900 users complaining about a millisecond here and a few keypresses there have to RETHINK going back to a 9900. BB is seriously at stake here - or at least their hardware division. And with Cheng releasing the HUB to Android and iPhone users this year (he has already announced this!) it will give people even LESS reason to buy BB hardware.

Trust me when I tell you that I HATE the fact that my Classic isn't as efficient as my Motorola Q9c in many ways. But if 9900 users go back to their phone because they are more efficient right now then they will benefit in the short-term but we (including they) will be losers in the medium term when BB has to stop creating hardware because not enough 9900 users upgraded to a Classic.

I started this thread due to the the negative feedback from many 9900 users to-date. I'm not saying that the Classic is better than the 9900 in all or even many ways - I'm just saying that 9900 users BETTER upgrade or there won't be any more keyboard phones in the future!!!
    03-07-15 06:00 PM
    The point should be to learn how to effectively use BB10 before saying it's not efficient. I can't believe there are people still hung on their archaic devices. To each their own. BB10 is the place to be for mobile computing now. Case closed.

And there will always be physical keyboard phones available. Just wait til the Samsung BlackBerry phones come out...

moyah8, Coachbulldog and raj281977 like this.
    03-07-15 06:07 PM
    Not a 9900 user but I see your point, since over here people are already talking about "buying more phones from BlackBerry before the whole hardware ship goes down." So sad.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ginakim; 03-07-15 at 11:15 PM.
    03-07-15 08:28 PM
    Not to sway anyone from the Classic, since it's a great transitional phone for legacy users...but i'll be dammed if the Passport isn't the best phone I've ever owned, period.

This is including countless BlackBerry phones and multiple android flagships during my ~2 year stint with android between my Torch and Z10.

I'm just worried I won't be able to ever go to a 16:9 again...just reading a post on my Fiance's Z30 is painful lol.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    03-07-15 09:27 PM
    9900/30 efficiency Vs. BB10 phones like the Classic is a myth. It's all in the user's head. I've used them all in both business and personal environments and BB10 is the way to go.

In 2003 I bought Office 2003. It was very good. I used it for 10 years. Even in 2010 I installed the same 2003 version onto my new computer. I saved a lot of money over those years using the same Office in all my computers. Finally in 2014 I upgraded to Office 2013. I was lost trying to find where everything was. I hated it. But after using it for a few weeks I got the hang of it. Now I really like it.

Sometimes you have to move along with change and adapt.

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB, andy957 and nrkbb like this.
    03-07-15 09:31 PM
    In 2003 I bought Office 2003. It was very good. I used it for 10 years. Even in 2010 I installed the same 2003 version onto my new computer. I saved a lot of money over those years using the same Office in all my computers. Finally in 2014 I upgraded to Office 2013. I was lost trying to find where everything was. I hated it. But after using it for a few weeks I got the hang of it. Now I really like it.

Posted via CB10
    And because of you we now have annual Office 365 subscriptions! Lol

Just kidding,.. I actually still have Office 2007? On one of my machines. No ribbon or anything. Of course I use Office 2010 at work, and Office 365 on a hybrid/tablet. I don't love or hate any... mostly because they are for work.

In any case, I'm sure someone will buy the rights to slap on a physical keyboard on a future device. Look at how many variants and sub variants Samsung puts out of their Galaxy devices each year (dozens). It wouldn't take much for them to build one with a BlackBerry keyboard if they had the rights to do so.

Posted via CB10
    jas1978 likes this.
    03-07-15 09:52 PM

Posted via CB10
    Office is a prime example of change without advance. All they've done since the 90s is screw up my keyboard shortcuts and move the menus to the ribbon which was kind of a lateral move in my opinion. It's just a different UI, but not better or worse.

I think many of the changes in BB10 really are less efficient, which is too bad, since QNX is a rock solid base for an OS. They really did throw out the baby with the bathwater. So much from BBOS could have been integrated into BB10 without a detrimental effect on the new, more touch-centric approach.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    nah.uhh and diehardbbuser like this.
    03-07-15 10:09 PM
    @ dmsbang

I have to disagree. I just switched to the Classic from 9900 and the calendar app is crap: it is slow, buggy, and not able to take rapid fire entries like on the Os 7 calendar. It's unfortunate we can't get the old OS 7 calendar app on BB10. What are BlackBerry thinking?

Besides this, everything else is pretty awesome on the Classic. But still, for many calendar is important, if not essential. I'm not super impressed with universal search and the phone function.

Posted via CB10
    Try this app it's very good, I think it costs $0.99
    http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/52202271

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 10:13 PM
    I agree, the Passport may be the best phone on the market! Unfortunately, I have Verizon and no CDMA version of it exists...

03-07-15 10:20 PM
    @ dmsbang

Posted via CB10
    My first smartphone was a Handspring, I love the calendar there. Until now nobody has produced another device that has the same efficiency as the handspring. Not Apple, not BlackBerry & certainly not Android nor Windows.

I'm still sticking to the BlackBerry as it is still the most bearable calendar available.

Posted via CB10
    andy957 likes this.
    03-07-15 10:21 PM
    The only other BB person I know tried the Classic and was back on 9900 in like two days. Says she'll just get an iPhone when her 9900 dies, so I see the point of the OP. Some people just don't want to deal with the transition pains of going from OS7 to BB10.
    03-08-15 12:30 AM
    But they'd deal with going from BBOS7 to iphone or Android? Doesn't make sense...

03-08-15 01:26 AM
    But they'd deal with going from BBOS7 to iphone or Android? Doesn't make sense...

This is exactly my point - thanks...

Also, for anyone who just assumes that the market will offer a physical keyboard even if BB eventually goes away - think again. I thought about it carefully and realized that the amount of work it takes to create a physical keyboard for Android or iPhone is pretty immense. as they basically have to "retrofit" their OS to a physical keyboard device with a toolbelt. That takes a LOT of work, given that no OS (including BB10) was designed for a physical keyboard + toolbelt. That's one of the reasons why it took so long for BB to release the Classic and why the Classic has many flaws (hence the 9900 users going back to their phones so quickly). Essentially someone would have to built an OS from the ground up to accommodate the physical keys + toolbelt for it to work as well as a 9900 and, as much as I would like for it to be the case, I just don't see it happening. Which is why it's SO important for the 9900 users to migrate to a Classic vs to an iPhone or Android...

Anyhow, I hope my pleas aren't too late, as I know MANY 9900 users have tried the Classic for a couple of days and gone right back to their 9900. I would have done the same thing with my Motorola Q9c if it was an option due to the efficiency. But now that I'm "stuck" with the Classic it occurred to me just how important this device is to the future of physical keyboards and toolbelts...
    03-08-15 05:48 AM
    You have to try any new phone for more than a day or two? When I first got my bold three years ago I took it back and used my 9780 for a while then repurchased a 9900 and stuck with it for 3 years nice phone but much outdated .Miss it?Ya but Classic is pretty much what I need Beauti phone .
    03-08-15 07:13 AM
286 123 ...