Picked up a barely used Classic, incredibly cheap, and man I love the look/feel of this thing. Obviously I'm on a limited time frame to play with it before BB10 ceases to exist. I really wish they would release an updated version of this phone. If you had this phone with the internals of the KeyOne (processer, camera, internal storage, 1080p screen, etc) I would use that full time in a heartbeat. Vanilla Android with BB's suite of apps. It's a shame BB OS is winding down. I would use this for a work phone as is if there was going to be any way to feasibly support it. I enjoy the BB software, limited as it is. I know that is not a financially prudent move for the manufacturer, but it would sure be nice.
    01-18-18 11:25 AM
    You and a couple thousand others...

In the end, those that cling to the past, hinder the future.
    sal2726 and Hulk123 like this.
    01-18-18 11:34 AM
    I'm with you on that. I love my classics and if they ran android n we're functional as you say I'd never had a need for another phone. pkb n size are perfect. processor is key, need a speedy phone. using a classic next to my keyone for awhile now it's really showing its age

Classic running Android should be everyone focus. ya, I said it. not that ugly a$$ passport. Classic!!!!!!
    megafan2000, Hulk123 and sal2726 like this.
    01-18-18 11:44 AM
    Picked up a barely used Classic, incredibly cheap, and man I love the look/feel of this thing. Obviously I'm on a limited time frame to play with it before BB10 ceases to exist. I really wish they would release an updated version of this phone. If you had this phone with the internals of the KeyOne (processer, camera, internal storage, 1080p screen, etc) I would use that full time in a heartbeat. Vanilla Android with BB's suite of apps. It's a shame BB OS is winding down. I would use this for a work phone as is if there was going to be any way to feasibly support it. I enjoy the BB software, limited as it is. I know that is not a financially prudent move for the manufacturer, but it would sure be nice.
    Try a KEYone if you haven't already. It's a 2018 Era closest available replacement for the Q10, Classic or Passport style BB PKB.
    sal2726 likes this.
    01-18-18 05:18 PM
    @Dunt Dunt Dunt

I don't get it. Does "future" mean every phone being the size of an HDTV?

I am not clinging to the past, I am using the products which suit my preferences and needs. My preferences and needs are not that crazy: a phone that I can use with one hand and which has a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    spiculated likes this.
    01-18-18 10:23 PM
    @Dunt Dunt Dunt

I am not clinging to the past, I am using the products which suit my preferences and needs. My preferences and needs are not that crazy: a phone that I can use with one hand and which has a PKB.

Posted via CB10
    Now all it needs is a 3:2 or 4:3 aspect ratio for Android, which would require stretching the classic a bit taller than it is and extending the display to the very top, leaving barely enough space for selfie cam, LED light, speaker and proxy sensor.

Could be doable I guess
    01-19-18 05:36 AM
    @Dunt Dunt Dunt

Posted via CB10
    BBOS and BB10 are dead platforms.... they are the past. Very possible that they better meet your needs now, but at some point you'll have to move on. Hopefully BBMo can survive without you and the others that don't feel the KEYone meets their needs.

The problem is the PKB market is a tiny niche, but it's a fractured niche.... some want bigger, some want smaller, some want high end, some want $200 phones, some want....

In the end, BBMo needs to sell devices in order to have a future, and possible to be able to offer some variety.

Me personally, I don't care... as I prefer VKB devices, and don't mind other manufactures making them.
    01-19-18 08:56 AM
    BBOS and BB10 are dead platforms.... they are the past. Very possible that they better meet your needs now, but at some point you'll have to move on. Hopefully BBMo can survive without you and the others that don't feel the KEYone meets their needs.

The problem is the PKB market is a tiny niche, but it's a fractured niche.... some want bigger, some want smaller, some want high end, some want $200 phones, some want....

In the end, BBMo needs to sell devices in order to have a future, and possible to be able to offer some variety.

Me personally, I don't care... as I prefer VKB devices, and don't mind other manufactures making them.
    I agree with you on the software. It is dead and there would be no reason to continue with it. The general public isn't interested in a platform where you have to sideload a majority of the apps you use. There just doesn't happen to be anything with pkb in that form factor. I'm much more invested in the Google ecosystem, Android software would be a must. Again, I haven't owned a BB device since the Bold 9000. As I said, from a financial standpoint it would make no sense. Picked the classic admittedly for the nostalgia, no intention of using it as it was outdated on release. Just realized on playing around with it how much I missed a phone in this size/build/kb.
    01-19-18 09:28 AM
    My current phone is an iPhone 8 plus. I still use Google maps, mail, calendar, chrome, keep, and Google assistant over iOS versions. Not concerned with keeping BB'S OS, would just like to see a phone with current specs and app availability with the Classic's size/look/feel.
    01-19-18 09:42 AM
    My current phone is an iPhone 8 plus. I still use Google maps, mail, calendar, chrome, keep, and Google assistant over iOS versions. Not concerned with keeping BB'S OS, would just like to see a phone with current specs and app availability with the Classic's size/look/feel.
    Get a KEYone. I moved back from VKB and it's worth it.
    01-19-18 09:52 AM
    As always you spend your time here to promote the key one.Please !!!! let us enjoy our Passport till the end of its life

Posted via CB10
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-19-18 02:16 PM
    As always you spend your time here to promote the key one.Please !!!! let us enjoy our Passport till the end of its life

Posted via CB10
    If you read carefully AND slowly, this was about Classics and someone brought up Android. This is a PUBLIC forum. We can have peaceful conversations. I own all types of BB devices.
    sal2726 and anon(10441701) like this.
    01-19-18 02:20 PM
    Honestly, I think with the right trimming down of bezels, shouldn't it be possible to fit a 4:3 Android compliant screen on something with the same footprint as the Classic?

Example: Take a Classic, remove the bezels all the way up to where the "BlackBerry"Logo is, move the speaker grill even further up, put the LED, prox sensor and camera even further up, and fill all that gained space with screen. Square off the top a bit to really bring that display as high as possible. Also shave off 1.5mm on each side as well as the bottom.
    velkod likes this.
    01-21-18 11:48 AM
    Honestly, I think with the right trimming down of bezels, shouldn't it be possible to fit a 4:3 Android compliant screen on something with the same footprint as the Classic?

Example: Take a Classic, remove the bezels all the way up to where the "BlackBerry"Logo is, move the speaker grill even further up, put the LED, prox sensor and camera even further up, and fill all that gained space with screen. Square off the top a bit to really bring that display as high as possible. Also shave off 1.5mm on each side as well as the bottom.
    4:3 is supported on Google certified devices so a hypothetical 4:3 BB Android device would likely have more in common with the Bold than Classic.
    01-21-18 12:18 PM
    @Dunt Dunt Dunt

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. Phones are way to big these days and people waste their lives on them using pointless apps..wasting time on instagram..facebook...simple is always best that's why I love the BB10 platform and it's lineup of phones. Classic..passport..leap...amazing phones for people that have a life outside their phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-21-18 08:10 PM
    The selection of apps isn't ideal but something I cant find even in decent software is the the language shortcuts. I think I can fill out documents faster on a Classic than a computer with all the shortcut macros I put in.

Fun fact, can link to some of the api's in through the browser to use some of its greater features, CodeMirror as an example can be initiated with just the native browser and docs to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 10:30 AM
    The selection of apps isn't ideal but something I cant find even in decent software is the the language shortcuts. I think I can fill out documents faster on a Classic than a computer with all the shortcut macros I put in.

Fun fact, can link to some of the api's in through the browser to use some of its greater features, CodeMirror as an example can be initiated with just the native browser and docs to go. Backspace is still messed up tho, unless you have a bluetooth keyboard.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 10:32 AM

I love having the BB logo there, and 4:3 would only make it slightly taller if the bezels were the same.
    03-03-18 11:58 AM
    I beautiful ideas! That was what I meant it to have the classic shape but with some changes on design and with an android version. this was posted a day or two days ago in this tread. Why need US 10 million cost?

Posted via CB10
    03-03-18 05:15 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don't see it that way at all. He's just advising based on his experience.

It's up to the OP to listen or not.

Posted via my Awesome Passport SE SQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 pin:2C33423A
    03-10-18 11:27 AM
    The whole point of having BB10 is security and not having to surrender permissions to apps that in the first place have no business asking for them ie amazon app - if I don't want an app to have an unnecessary amount of access to my phone on BB10 then I have the option to deny - as for the " lack " of apps on BB10? Get real - does everyone download and use every one of the million plus apps on Google store? Realistically maybe a dozen - the losers that reviewed BB10 phones when they came out had their heads so far up their whatzit that all they cried about was the " lack " of apps - they had no ability to actually put some thought into their reviews to understand the value of the product

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and paulie140 like this.
    03-12-18 11:12 AM
    If I was a conspiracy theorist I would say that the morons who reviewed the BB10 phones were simply paid to write up the most negative reviews their little brains were capable of

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    03-12-18 11:15 AM
    Realistically maybe a dozen - the losers that reviewed BB10 phones when they came out had their heads so far up their whatzit that all they cried about was the " lack " of apps - they had no ability to actually put some thought into their reviews to understand the value of the product
    Did you use a Z10 at launch? BB10 for much of 2013 had issues beyond apps, the complaints from that time are largely valid.
    03-12-18 02:42 PM
    Yes I had a Z10 as my first 10 phone - and yes it had issues just the same as any new os is going to have - my issue is with the way the crackhead reviewers kept up their ridiculous Iphone and Android bias from the time of 10 launch onwards - never missing an opportunity to bash every 10 phone since. Glowing reviews never mentioning the shortage of memory on iphones - 16 gb and no expandable memory except when you shell out hundreds more for a 64 gb model - and yet in the Z10 reviews no mention of it being expandable to 128 gb - complaining about the battery on Z10 when they were no worse than iPhone - omitting glaringly obvoius selling points on 10 os etc etc - yep an obvoius con job on the part of reviewers

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe likes this.
    03-12-18 03:10 PM
    Nitpicking and making mountains out of molehills - all the while whitewashing every phone that didn't have a BB logo

Posted via CB10
    03-12-18 03:12 PM
81 123 ...