Was wondering what was the best 128 gig card out there?

Want to use it mainly for music and few other things.

Also wondering if the will be any issues with encrypting something that big.

If I want to transfer pics from the encrypted card to my desktop do I need to decrypt the whole card or will the encryption drop off when I move them over.

Thanks for the help.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Classic on TMobile
    05-29-15 07:30 PM
    Was wondering what was the best 128 gig card out there?

Want to use it mainly for music and few other things.

Also wondering if the will be any issues with encrypting something that big.

If I want to transfer pics from the encrypted card to my desktop do I need to decrypt the whole card or will the encryption drop off when I move them over.

Thanks for the help.

The "best" would be a relative term. I am partial to the SandDisk Ultra line.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...UvbUpU11675917
    05-29-15 08:06 PM
    If the items are not decrypted prior to coping over, I wonder if you'd be able to 'read' \ 'view' the data.
    05-29-15 08:35 PM
    If you use Link or Blend to do the move it will decrypt the files being moved.

Posted via CB10
    anon(153966) likes this.
    05-29-15 08:56 PM
    Don't like either of those at the moment.

Rather just drag items not try to sync since it doesn't seem to work for me.

I am sure it is my error and not the app though.

Any tips on making it easy?

Basiclly I want to be able to take pics and keep music on device and drag the pics over to pc when I want to and if I ever need to move the music back and forth want to be able to pretty easy.

Mainly worried about the device being lost or stolen and them having access to my son's photos.

On a side note I had a lot of problems with the phone when I first got it but now I like it very much. Just trying to train my hands to not cross the center divide.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

05-29-15 09:38 PM
    I keep my device encrypted, but don't bother with the card, since if have to wipe or move stuff, the contents are encrypted, so it's a pain.

Move all personal content into the device memory, encrypt that, and keep the SD unencrypted and just put music or random photos that you don't care much about on it.

Work Wide and Prosper
    05-30-15 03:02 AM
    UN-encrypt before moving data/files/ anywhere. Only the BlackBerry that it came from will un-encrypt it. There have been quite a few threads on CB about this same issue.

BlackBerryaholic by choice.
    05-31-15 03:43 AM
    OK, so I want to have both them encrypted and if i take pics/video and then want to move them to my PC off the phone I have to use the link app to make sure they decrypt correctly then?

No other way to do it would going through this step or having to decrypt the entire card/device?
    05-31-15 03:52 AM
    OK, so I want to have both them encrypted and if i take pics/video and then want to move them to my PC off the phone I have to use the link app to make sure they decrypt correctly then?

No other way to do it would going through this step or having to decrypt the entire card/device?
    UN-encrypt before making a backup or moving them to your PC. Again, only your BlackBerry itself will unencrypt your files. If you move an encryted file to your PC, it will not open.

Just try it. "Copy and paste" a few of your encryted files to your PC and try to open them. A Link backup is cool, but don't encrypt that backup.

05-31-15 04:11 AM
    UN-encrypt before making a backup or moving them to your PC. Again, only your BlackBerry itself will unencrypt your files. If you move an encryted file to your PC, it will not open.

Just try it. "Copy and paste" a few of your encryted files to your PC and try to open them. A Link backup is cool, but don't encrypt that backup.

Seems to be some confusion here and not sure why you feel the need to capitalize UN, are you attempting to tell me something lol?

Also seems like a pretty big flaw if you need to decrypt the device or sd card everytime you want to move files off it, doesnt really scream thought out security there.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-31-15 04:35 AM
    That's the point of encryption, to protect the files. They won't make it too easy.
    Again, if you use Link or Blend to move files to your computer it will be decrypted. Otherwise you would have to decrypt the entire contents of the card or internal memory which depending on how filled can take a long time.
    I've used Link and Blend to do both. If the purpose is just to move files, Link is faster.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 06:24 AM
    Seems to be some confusion here and not sure why you feel the need to capitalize UN, are you attempting to tell me something lol?

Also seems like a pretty big flaw if you need to decrypt the device or sd card everytime you want to move files off it, doesnt really scream thought out security there.
    No, that makes perfect sense. When encrypted, you want the files to only be viewable on devices that have the code to unencrypt them, in this case, just your blackberry.

You can still move the files around, but they'll only be viewable on your phone.

What you want is encryption and unencryption on demand. Which you have, you have to unencrypt the SD card each time.

Btw, your files are safer on your BB than on your desktop.

Just keep the important ones on your device memory and encrypt that, and keep your SD card unencrypted just for music and stuff, that's your solution.

Work Wide and Prosper
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    05-31-15 03:44 PM
    Wanted to ask real fast please.

If I had the device encrypted but left the SD card alone could I use the move command on the classic to move the files from the encrypted partition to the un-encrypted one? Would that allow me to decrypt the files so I can then move them through windows file explorer?

Sorry to be a pain just try to figure out a way to move files other than pics and videos.

Thank you for the help.

06-02-15 01:28 AM
    Yes. It will work.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-02-15 02:49 AM
    That is fantastic news.

Thank you again.

06-02-15 02:52 AM
    Wanted to ask real fast please.

If I had the device encrypted but left the SD card alone could I use the move command on the classic to move the files from the encrypted partition to the un-encrypted one? Would that allow me to decrypt the files so I can then move them through windows file explorer?

Sorry to be a pain just try to figure out a way to move files other than pics and videos.

Thank you for the help.

As said above, yes.
    The same would happen if you moved a file to Box, Dropbox, etc.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 06:54 AM
    As said above, yes.
    The same would happen if you moved a file to Box, Dropbox, etc.

Posted via CB10
    Moved using something like play cloud 10?

Hopefully the last few questions on the topic but if I used file explorer in windows to move files to the BlackBerry will those become encrypted as well? Not sure if the BlackBerry does whole disk encryption or just file level.

And I think lastly since it seems I might be able to encrypt the SD card as well now; if able to just move the files to one drive using play cloud 10 or similar app. Is there a big performance hit or higher battery drain if the SD card card is encrypted?

What I mean is say I have 50 gigs of music and others files encrypted. Would playback be choppy, slow, cpu intensive, battery draining, etc.

The whole point of this rant isn't to annoy but to be honest if the phone is ever stolen or lost. I don't even the music to be accessible to anyone. It is an OCD thing but I am weird that way.

Thank you all again for the help I am grateful and happy I am stinking with the phone.

06-02-15 08:09 AM

This isn't correct since BlackBerry 10 encrypts the medium that the files are stored on as opposed to the individual files. I've moved plenty of files from my Q10 over to my desktop and laptop through USB and Samba and I have never had to decrypt the files. It's no different than copying files from a PC with whole disk encryption over to a USB drive. The very fact of accessing the file from the encrypted device does an on the fly decryption of it. When you transfer that file, it is decrypted since it is actively in device memory.

It IS true however, that if you wipe your device with an encrypted SD card in it that the encryption keys for the card will be lost and the card will have to be reformatted to use. If you plan on using autoloaders or doing a security wipe for any reason, be sure to decrypt your SD card first.

For normal use, encrypting your SD card is a perfectly sound thing to do as it allows you additional storage and gives you the same protection available to onboard storage.
    06-02-15 08:16 AM
    Any file moved onto the device will be automatically encrypted. When you connect via Link your SD & device shows up as drives in explorer making it very easy to copy to or from your encrypted device.
    I haven't noticed any performance hit with using encryption.
    I have Box, so I use File Manager to copy or move files to Box. Blend can also be used. I also have photos and videos set to automatically backup to Box. These would be decrypted versions.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 08:23 AM
    This isn't correct since BlackBerry 10 encrypts the medium that the files are stored on as opposed to the individual files. I've moved plenty of files from my Q10 over to my desktop and laptop through USB and Samba and I have never had to decrypt the files. It's no different than copying files from a PC with whole disk encryption over to a USB drive. The very fact of accessing the file from the encrypted device does an on the fly decryption of it. When you transfer that file, it is decrypted since it is actively in device memory.
    Not entirely true. If you use USB mass storage mode and copy files to your computer, it will be unreadable. The file will be encrypted.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 09:21 AM
    Just use the built in file manager. I'm not sure that playcloud will also decrypt the files.

Also, you'll have to move them, I guess moving to box or something is a good idea, then just accessing them from your desktop.

Would be nice if we could add a custom ftp server to the file manager.

Work Wide and Prosper
    06-02-15 10:26 AM
    FYI, I didn't read all the comments. But what I just did was....

Just got my Classic and was having issues moving pics n vids to a new 64gb San Disk SD card.

So finally got Link to move some 2100+ songs to the new card. But Link would NOT move the 2700+ pics n vids. So last resort was to remove the SD card from my Classic and put it in the adapter and insert it directly into my PC. Went through a few motions and it took 35 mins to move those pics n vids with no probs.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Subscribe to Tri County Catering and Party Idea Channel. Pin #C00123065
    06-08-15 12:54 AM
    I noticed that if I open link so the device app opens as well I can then connect the device with USB and it will mount both drives under my computer in windows seven. So I just move pics and the like from the encrypted device memory to my pc. Now the SD card is unencrypted and only use is music since I noticed the time it takes to move songs from my to the encrypted SD card during testing was extremely long.

So my solution is encrypt the device and all info is stored there and SD card is unencrypted with only music.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 01:00 AM
    So my solution is encrypt the device and all info is stored there and SD card is unencrypted with only music.

Posted via CB10
    Personally, I would never let the device store photos (and docs) on the internal memory but always let it store on the MC. Ever since losing a day's worth of memorable family photos because my boldie kept reloading al of a sudden (and I had to swipe & reload the software of the device), I learned my lesson. Even if BB10 might be more stable, I just wouldn't take any chances that it would happen to me again.
    06-08-15 03:13 AM
    I would rather take the chance of day worth of photos being deleted than some other person having access to images of my son.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-15 05:02 PM
29 12