Dunno if its just my device but youtube videos look awful on my bold and looked much better on a friends iphone yet according to phonescoop the bold had a better display then the iphone? Im confused...is there some sort of app I gotta DL to make em look better?
    07-20-09 01:34 PM
    Solution: install the iPhone 3.0 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 01:41 PM
    im going to assume that was sarcastic and if it wasnt I dont see that helping the youtube resolution be any better but thank you for the input either way ; )
    07-20-09 02:07 PM
    yea im sure that was sarcasm... i chuckled...

i downloaded Vision for youtbue its free and i think u can get it OTA.

i havent messed with it since getting it, but it let me at least begin to play something which i couldnt do before with the normal bb browser
    07-20-09 03:09 PM
    The problem, as I understand it, is that YouTube hosts more than one file format per video, even at their "standard" quality level. The non-iPhone world, or at the very least, the Bold portion of the non-iPhone world, gets one filetype, which sucks eggs in its fidelity. The filetype that the iPhone gets, by it's handshaking protocol with YouTube, is H.264, which is of much higher quality. So, while the Bold can play an H.264 file in its full glory (look at some of the sample videos on your phone, or make some yourself - they are truly awesome), it does not get the H.264 version sent to it for one reason or another. Again, this is as I understand it, which may in part or in whole be totally wrong. One thing that I'm not wrong on, is that YT video quality on the Bold generally sucks, in my opinion. It's my opinion, so how can I be wrong?

So, yes, my response was somewhat sarcastic, but only somewhat. Another way to get it to work is to petition Google (owner of YT) to let Bolds receive the H.264 version. Or something.

I tried some of the 3rd party apps that supposedly allow a more enhanced video to be displayed on the Bold, but to my eye, it was an underwhelming experience. I only tried two apps, both of which names' escape me, but they both have been released or updated in the past 3 or 4 months, so they aren't that old. Vision, as straightclown offered, may have been one of them.
    Last edited by sperho; 07-20-09 at 03:53 PM.
    07-20-09 03:41 PM
    The problem, as I understand it, is that YouTube hosts more than one file format per video, even at their "standard" quality level. The non-iPhone world, or at the very least, the Bold portion of the non-iPhone world, gets one filetype, which sucks eggs in its fidelity. The filetype that the iPhone gets, by it's handshaking protocol with YouTube, is H.264, which is of much higher quality. So, while the Bold can play an H.264 file in its full glory (look at some of the sample videos on your phone, or make some yourself - they are truly awesome), it does not get the H.264 version sent to it for one reason or another. Again, this is as I understand it, which may in part or in whole be totally wrong.
    Yes thats right, the bold can play the high quality videos, but for some reason youtube doesn't stream them. As an example I tried this, download the mp4 (its the HQ vid from the youtube site) using what I found here Download YouTube Videos as MP4 Files

I then copied the mp4 to my bold with no conversion and it played no problem, and it looked and sounded fantastic.

So (in theory) what is done in that script in the link about above be written in an app for the bb....
    Last edited by Shao128; 07-20-09 at 04:17 PM.
    07-20-09 04:15 PM
    Here are your choices as i had some trouble with youtube also:

Download Vision for Youtube which is free, and better quality than m.youtube videos

or

Visit www . vuclip . com with your blackberry browser. Vuclip has the option to stream or play youtube videos in Hi quality and its quality is even better than Vision app most of the times.

Hope i helped.
    07-21-09 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD