Is your BB starting to feel so slow? Upgrading the OS is not helping the speed to improve drastically? Nor is a Hybrid? Fear not, this guide will help you restore your BB to an almost new state without losing your contacts, emails, BBM contacts, etc.

Overtime, as you would install and uninstall apps, the key certificates, application permissions, and other things tend to build up and make your BB perform very slow. When you upgrade your OS, as you restore the backup, those obsolete app permissions, keystore options, handheld agent options, are back on your new OS so this trend will just continue.

Here is how to overcome this:

Optional: Backup your apps separately using BB Hybrid Tools or any similar app ( I Personally don't do this as I just download all my apps again from my saved bookmarks to ensure I get the latest versions)

1) Connect to your computer and Launch BlackBerry Desktop Software (DM)

2) Click on Backup Now

3) Instead of full, this time select Custom

4) Click on the checkbox next to Data Type to automatically select all the fields (this will save us time selecting the items as there are many)

5) Now we need to uncheck the following items:
    • Application Permissions
    • Browser Cache
    • Code Module Group Properties
    • Configuration Channel
    • Content Store
    • Entry Point Settings
    • Handheld Agent
    • Handheld Key Store
    • RMS Databases
    • Service Book (optional, but I do it anyway since Service books are restored as soon as your SIM Card is registered on the network anyway)
    • Time Zones
    • Trusted Key Store
    6) Now create the backup using these options.

7) Wipe your BlackBerry using BBSAK (or any other tool you prefer)

8) Install the new OS on your computer, then delete the Vendor.xml file

9) Run loader.exe to start the installation process. (Shrink first if you are familiar with that)

10) As soon as your OS is installed and you have the BlackBerry ready to use, start installing back all your applications / themes or just restore them if you choose to do it that way had you had made a backup of the apps separately, then perform a battery pull.

11) Finally,restore your device settings from the back-up you just created then re-perform a last battery pull.

This will also improve your battery life since the O.S. will perform better with less battery power

Enjoy your new BB
    Last edited by albertinik; 06-24-11 at 03:52 AM.
    06-23-11 03:26 PM
    Many thanks. I think I will do this on my Tour. I occasionally re-install the OS but not excluding that extra stuff that gets "put back". Thank you for the detailed post. This is what forums like this should be about.
    06-23-11 07:03 PM

5) Now we need to uncheck the following items:
    • Application Permissions
    • Browser Cache
    • Code Module Group Properties
    • Configuration Channel
    • Content Store
    • Entry Point Settings
    • Handheld Agent
    • Handheld Key Store
    • RMS Databases
    • Service Book (optional, but I do it anyway since Service books are restored as soon as your SIM Card is registered on the network anyway)
    • Time Zones
    • Trusted Key Store
    RMS Databases hold (some) 3rd party apps data. I'd keep it in the backup.
    06-23-11 07:28 PM
    RMS Databases hold (some) 3rd party apps data. I'd keep it in the backup.
    How much though? I always thought that Content Store was where all the data goes to, it's the biggest when checking database sizes.
    06-23-11 10:06 PM
    This is a very useful post, I wont need it for a while though my 9780 is still running as fast as ever :P but I will save it for the sad day when it gets slow
    06-23-11 10:26 PM
    Oh I am not sure. Some apps even have their own entried in DM's backups. I just noticed that some of the settings are stored there for 3rd party apps.

I have no idea what Content Store does thou. It does not matter any (at least seems so) if you delete it.
    06-23-11 10:52 PM
    This is a very useful post, I wont need it for a while though my 9780 is still running as fast as ever :P but I will save it for the sad day when it gets slow
    Wow ,,Thanks to you all but some of you should say thanks to Matrix Leader that gave me some info regarding this thread
    Last edited by albertinik; 06-24-11 at 04:14 PM.
    D-March likes this.
    06-24-11 03:04 PM
    Thank you very much!! It took me about an hour to restore all my applications back but it was well worth the trouble! I feel that I have a new BB now!!!
    06-25-11 12:53 PM
    Nice! Very helpful
    06-25-11 11:54 PM
    @ albertinik

Wiped my 1 month replacement 9780 using JL_Cmder v. 1.9.3 (for Win 7) till I got the "Error 507" msg on the screen. Then, followed your post to restore the BB using the backup minus the junk to build it back & also updated with the new ver 7 email setup.

U r the man !! blazing fast 9780.... Nvr been better

Thanks is a small word but yeah, Thank you indeed !!
    06-27-11 07:38 AM
    Thank for sharing this post.
    06-27-11 02:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD