This is only the second time this has happened since I got the phone a few weeks back.

I have all of my messages set to different specific ringtones. My SMS to one, my MMS to one, my email to one etc. So tonight I rcvd an email and instead of playing the tone it always plays that it is set for (one of the generic preloaded notifier tones)... it played my SMS tone (which is an actual song tone) to alert me to my email.

And NO I didnt recieve a new SMS at the same time. That folder is empty and the only red star alert was on my email envelope. Like I said this is very, very few and far between but why would this happen??

I went over every one of my sound/alert settings and they are all the way they should be set for my liking.

Any ideas? Thank you.

06-25-10 11:07 PM
    Does it have the .732 OS installed? Try taking any punctuation out of those contacts phone numbers. Make sure your custom tones are set for those contacts and SAVE. Now have them test it. Does it work now?
    Last edited by diffused; 06-27-10 at 01:04 PM.
    06-27-10 11:50 AM
    hi. it has the .732 installed. there is no punctuation in the contact that sent it.
    06-27-10 12:09 PM
    Hmm, not sure what else to say. Mine is working fine. I'm assuming you did try battery pulls and it made no difference?
    06-27-10 01:07 PM
    yes i have. but thank you for your help i appreciate it!!
    06-27-10 03:51 PM
    Something similar happened to me a couple times. Had the alarm set to play a song on my memory card. Worked most of the time. But out of the blue, a couple times, it played one of the generic tones that came with the phone. No rhyme or reason or pattern. Solved the issue by copying the file of the memory card song and pasting it into the device's ringtone folder. Hasn't occured since.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

06-27-10 06:59 PM
    same thing happens to me once in awhile. i get a call from a friend and it rings with the wierdest tone. these blackberries can be so wierd.
    06-27-10 09:57 PM
    JMOUNTAINDEW..

"Solved the issue by copying the file of the memory card song and pasting it into the device's ringtone folder."

How exactly do I do that? Sorry I don't know for sure...

Thank you!

At least I know I'm not alone on this issue.
    06-27-10 10:57 PM
    JMOUNTAINDEW..

"Solved the issue by copying the file of the memory card song and pasting it into the device's ringtone folder."

How exactly do I do that? Sorry I don't know for sure...

Thank you!

At least I know I'm not alone on this issue.
    Well, wouldn't you know... the moment I say that I've solved the issue, my 9650's alarm wakes me up this morning playing the generic tone again. Go figure. The first time now in a least a couple weeks. Just one of the small quirks of the device, I suppose.
    06-28-10 08:18 AM
    I was hoping your fix would work too. I thought we were outa the woods with this profile bug. All the OS on my Tour had bugs in the profiles, which makes me wonder if there is a corrupt ringtone file that gets carried over each time. Keep experimenting I guess. So far my Bold is OK. I had to do minor tweaking with custom profiles. They are the one thing that didn't transfer over during the device change. So the problem so far has been user error.

06-28-10 10:38 AM
    i have had this occasionally too, both my sms and mms tones are stock and i very occasionally get a chirrup rather than a bong... if u know what i mean...lol.

quirky, but i can live with it.
    06-28-10 11:21 AM
    yeah-- just bums me out but i guess i should know better then to expect perfection right??
    06-28-10 06:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD