I'm on the fence about this topic. I like having a
    black trackball and oem keypad. I don't like the idea
    of losing my warranty and having to file a claim if ever
    I ran into problems. What's everyones take on this topic?
    Give up the warranty and mod the phone? Or
    leave it as is incase of problems?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-09 03:47 PM
    I am going to wait until the one year is out. I would like the keypad with the red numbers, but mostly because it's easier to read. I'll most likely make one nod toward asthetics and put a unbranded bottom cover on at the same time. I would replace the bezel only if it was damaged. Same with the trackball.

Modding a phone is pretty low on the yippee list of things to do.
    07-14-09 03:51 PM
    I am going to wait until the one year is out. I would like the keypad with the red numbers, but mostly because it's easier to read. I'll most likely make one nod toward asthetics and put a unbranded bottom cover on at the same time. I would replace the bezel only if it was damaged. Same with the trackball.

Modding a phone is pretty low on the yippee list of things to do.
    I agree, I just got my 3rd replacement BOLD, and if i ever "modded" it I would be sol. Def wait untill your one year warranty is up and then decide
    07-14-09 03:55 PM
    how can they tell the warranty is void...

when i changed the housing to the whiteberry, the only "signal" that would show att or whatever carrier, that you opened the phone is one of the SIX screws has a white sticker blocking the screwdriver from making contact... UNLESS you break this seal. (voiding the warranty)

Now i think i have found a way to get around this... if and when i need to send my phone back ill simply take it apart again, put the oem housing back on, and take one of those white shipping stickers for envelopes and cut out a circle the size of the head of the screw for the phone.... make sense?

I hope so as i see no other way of being able to see if the phone has been tampered with....

but to answer the OP question: beauty is in the eye of the beholder... so was it worth it for me... yea... someone else... maybe not so much

HTH and hope to get a reply on my *scheme*
    07-14-09 04:09 PM
    I modded my phone right away, I wanted my bold to stand out and it looks fricken awesome. Why delay yourself that pleasure? After all you touch, look, and display your phone everyday, why wait a year for that.

The other day - I left my phone on the car and drove away and as I was doing 80km/h the phone flies off my car and I have a mild heart attack as it crashed to the asphalt lol. I go back to pick it up, its destroyed, but still works perfectly. Only the bezel and screen protector are scratched beyond belief. A quick trip to berrymods.com, new bezel and screen protector, $30 later and my bold is brand new again.
    07-14-09 05:21 PM
    I'm a little late but I decided to mod my bold, waiting on the parts now. As for the warranty being voided if u follow the video tutorial on how to dissabmle ur BB accordingly you should be okay. I guess you just need the patience. Whatever u decide to to good luck!

07-14-09 05:29 PM
    Definetly buddy, like straight clown said, aslong as that stickers still there then your fine. What I did was peeled it off with a knife and put it back on. Everytime there's a scratch on my phone that I don't feel like fixing I just send it back to rogers

07-14-09 06:14 PM
    My simple answer: No
    07-14-09 06:14 PM
    I like the way she is at the moment. lol
    07-14-09 06:19 PM
    wnat to do it bad but a part of me says no
    07-14-09 08:32 PM
    No part of me wants to do it and so all of me says no.
    07-14-09 09:39 PM
    The temptation is there but being a new at&t customer with a brand new Bold, I'm gonna wait it out for a few months. I love my Bold right out of the box for the time being.

I'm neutral on it either way. I'm gonna start off with just getting a non-branded chin plate and new battery cover to switch off of. After that I'll see if I need anything else.
    07-14-09 09:46 PM
    Get it over with lol bow to pear pressure do it

07-14-09 09:49 PM
    I just love the look of those white bolds ive been seeing... Im gonna wait till a blackberry with a qwerty keyboard and touchscreen comes out, then ill white out my bold.
    07-14-09 09:51 PM
    switched the face form the original silver/chrome frame to black, no my bold is BLACK ON BLACK ... looks great!
    07-15-09 02:24 AM
    i like my bold just the way it is. i actually just saw one guy today pushing a coin on his bold with black trackball!

he said that the trackball doesn't work the way it was.

a COIN used to press the trackball!
    07-15-09 05:23 AM
    SO anyone think my sticker-screw scheme will work?

or better yet, can someone please tell me where the tell-tale signs of tampering are?
    07-15-09 10:07 AM
    SO anyone think my sticker-screw scheme will work?

or better yet, can someone please tell me where the tell-tale signs of tampering are?
    It does work if they don't look too close. Most people just use a razor or an Xacto knife to peel it off, then reuse it. It's still a gamble.
    07-15-09 10:14 AM
    haha,, couldnt be patient enough, poked right through it...

ended up losing two screws as well but figure i can get some eyeglass screws FTW
    07-15-09 10:22 AM
    I don't personally see the reason to change anything out on my phone, so I'll say no. There are too many points of failure that could cause my phone to become useless.
    07-15-09 11:15 AM
    yes, you can mod the bold as long as you keep the original stuff AND the white sticker on the t5 screw. i had that happen, switched my bezel and trackball back, replaced the sticker and got my replacement. 2 months have gone by with no charge for the new phone (which they have 14 days to inspect it).
    07-15-09 02:35 PM
    haha,, couldnt be patient enough, poked right through it...

ended up losing two screws as well but figure i can get some eyeglass screws FTW
    you can buy the screws on cnn.cn to replace your old ones. now we just have to find where to buy the white water sensor stickers to replace those...for when they get torn of course.
    07-15-09 02:39 PM
    Where do you buy the outside silver frame or bezel ? I would like a black one seeing I just scuffed my silver one.... ANd is it a hard mod to do ?
    07-15-09 04:07 PM
    With the cost of a replacement phone, I would not risk losing my warranty.
    07-15-09 04:17 PM
    Where do you buy the outside silver frame or bezel ? I would like a black one seeing I just scuffed my silver one.... ANd is it a hard mod to do ?
    Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry,
    07-15-09 06:21 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD