I'm currently a Tmobile customer using an unlocked storm. I got it to replace my sidekick which I dropped into the toilet (I swear alcohol companies must hold stock in cell phone insurance policies). I am in the market for a new phone. I was really hyped on the new Samsung Galaxy S coming out later this month. It's android with an amazing screen and a 1 ghz processor.

I really like the phone but I'm not sure. They left off a flash from the camera which is questionable. Although it is 3G, it is not HSPA+ compatible and won't benefit much from the implementation of that network here in Orlando. Also with how Android is evolving, the phone would be obsolete by the end of the year. Also I believe if I switch to an android phone I'll have to pay $10 more a month for the data service.

I've enjoyed my storm. I think I will like a QWERTY keyboard again. I'm not sure how I'll like web browsing without the touch screen. I am currently a college senior and will be going on to a top law school after this year. I plan on working in corporate law and will undoubtedly be given a blackberry once I have my first "real" job. It makes sense to me to get the best blackberry out now (the 9700) and I'll be up for an upgrade the summer after my 1L year and then once I graduate. I'll need to be well-versed in the ways of the blackberry and using one seems to be the best preparation for that.

So long story short, is it worth getting the 9700 new with a 2 year contract extension at $99? Will it be horribly outdated by 2012? Or would I be better served to wait it out a little longer for a top-flight android phone or hope that the 9800 eventually crawls over to Tmobile?

Thanks!
    06-30-10 03:36 PM
    Yea, why not?

Better than waiting for the next latest and greatest, that may or may not ever come.
    06-30-10 03:37 PM
    I dont think its worth it. Honestly i had somewhat of a similar problem, but i got a free blackberry bold from EpicDraw.com - 100% Free Lotto - Win: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Curve, Nexus One, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, World of Warcraft Its a free lottery website where you spend 5 minutes a day choosing numbers and at the end of the day you check if you won. Everytime u choose numbers, you get points, and everyday you get points, pretty much i played for a bit and eventually got enough points to redeem them for a blackberry bold. It came in a couple days ago im pretty happy with it. I mean who wouldnt be happy by gettin a free blackberry bold by doing something so simple? Check it out i hope it helps you, i know it did for me. EpicDraw.com - 100% Free Lotto - Win: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Blackberry Bold, Blackberry Curve, Nexus One, Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, World of Warcraft
    06-30-10 03:52 PM
    Do it. I got a 9700 about a 2 months ago and never looked back.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-10 03:52 PM
    So long story short, is it worth getting the 9700 new with a 2 year contract extension at $99? Will it be horribly outdated by 2012? Or would I be better served to wait it out a little longer for a top-flight android phone or hope that the 9800 eventually crawls over to Tmobile?

Thanks!
    If your primary concern is the 9700 being outdated in 2 years, then don't get it. The phone is already outdated. The processor is only about 600 mhz. Memory is in adequate and if you've been reading the forum, there are a lot of people wondering if the 9700 will be able to run OS 6 due to memory. Since you like a touch screen, why not wait for 9800 which has both keypad and is touch screen. You will probably have to switch to AT&T unless you don't care about 3G which means you can get one that's unlocked...when they become available.
    06-30-10 04:27 PM
    I think so...that's a great price for a great phone. The 9700 will be best for everything you need. And I wouldn't have the patience to wait it out
    Last edited by Simba501; 06-30-10 at 06:00 PM.
    06-30-10 05:55 PM
    Any phone will be outdated by 2012 hardware wise..software wise, you'll probably have a better chance with android.

IMHO, I'm not too sure how BB will be doing in 2012, sadly the iphone or android phones will slowly take over marketshare so I wouldn't be too sure that you'll have a BB at your first real job.
    06-30-10 06:28 PM
    The 9700 is already outdated. You'd be better off upgrading to a better, newer phone.
    06-30-10 06:54 PM
    Blasphemy IMO with all the negativity on the 9700...this phone is amazing and does all them higher processed ones do in the likes of the Andriods...yeah, you have more memory and whatnot and agree if you are huge on apps and games, then go Andriod, but if not, then get a bigger memory card to loas music or movies on and enjoy.

Anyone who has given a bad review on the browser IMO don't give it a fair chance. Just take Java-script off the forums/pages you don't need it on and it loads just as fast as my browser did when I had 2 different Andriod phones in the mytouch3G and Cliq....

In 2012 many things will be outdated...get the 9700 and enjoy it, it really is a fantastic phone that does many things well.

If you do go Andriod, that Galaxy S looks nice for sure. No Flash is strange in this day and age...and people say BB are behind the times.

06-30-10 07:24 PM
    The 9700 is an amazing device...it is supposed to get OS6. That being said, most phones are outdated and outspec'd within 6 months now. The Droid from Motorola just got pushed out for android 3.0 and it came out when the 9700 did. If I were you I would focus on what phone has what I want now and go in that direction. Personally, I love my 9700 and would buy it again today if I didn't have it and I have owned mine for 7 months.
    06-30-10 07:29 PM
    I'm currently a Tmobile customer using an unlocked storm. I got it to replace my sidekick which I dropped into the toilet (I swear alcohol companies must hold stock in cell phone insurance policies). I am in the market for a new phone. I was really hyped on the new Samsung Galaxy S coming out later this month. It's android with an amazing screen and a 1 ghz processor.

I really like the phone but I'm not sure. They left off a flash from the camera which is questionable. Although it is 3G, it is not HSPA+ compatible and won't benefit much from the implementation of that network here in Orlando. Also with how Android is evolving, the phone would be obsolete by the end of the year. Also I believe if I switch to an android phone I'll have to pay $10 more a month for the data service.

I've enjoyed my storm. I think I will like a QWERTY keyboard again. I'm not sure how I'll like web browsing without the touch screen. I am currently a college senior and will be going on to a top law school after this year. I plan on working in corporate law and will undoubtedly be given a blackberry once I have my first "real" job. It makes sense to me to get the best blackberry out now (the 9700) and I'll be up for an upgrade the summer after my 1L year and then once I graduate. I'll need to be well-versed in the ways of the blackberry and using one seems to be the best preparation for that.

Thanks!
    I would not have tmo subsidize the 9700, that is one of many cool things about tmo -- make payments over 20 months for $ 20 a month and guess what - you plan will be about 20 bucks a month less. no early term fees. you can sell the device on ebay or craigs for 300+ most anytime, they dont lose much value. the 9700 is a great device but try that keyboard out 1st, its no bold 9000
    06-30-10 09:49 PM
    I would wait to see when the Slider is coming out before I make a decision.

06-30-10 10:17 PM

I will suggest you to buy cheap curve,
    You will pay less and same objectives are met even with 9700.
    So, may be after a year or so, you will be able to buy storm3,
    Which is a extravaganza, this is what leaked hardware specs says.
    Out dated?...
    Every month, every new device will get a new selling point.
    So any smartphone will be out dated in less than 6 months.

06-30-10 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD