We all know the story with the At&t branded Bold, and how from the start we were unable to toggle between 2G/3G. Only way around this was we either debranded, or disabled through the engineering screen, and the most recently updated the OS to .282.

Considering this will be At&t's second 3G blackberry it makes you wonder what they will do? Either way I'm sure there will be some workaround.
    08-06-09 11:55 AM
    I sure hope so because 3G has been spotty around my area lately and I have been switching to 2G to save mah battery.
    08-06-09 12:00 PM
    I've been seeing spotty 3G reception as well. It used to be relatively stable. Don't count on the option though. AT&T is truly clueless. By disabling the option they're saying, "Hey, you WANT to be using our cool 3G fast network, why would you want to disable it??!" But the network really sucks and needs to be seriously upgraded and updated. Not to mention there are truckloads of areas that still don't have coverage.

If the Onyx was going to Verizon, I'd jump on it.
    08-06-09 01:18 PM
    at&t will disable the option. That's just how they do.
    08-06-09 02:39 PM
    Seeing how my 2G reception sucks where I live during the summer, and will probably be worse due to the frequency switch, 3G only will be fine. Especially considering my Bro has full 3G on his iphone where I am.
    08-06-09 07:40 PM
    The next release of AT&T's will allow for switching between 2 and 3G as will 5.0. It should be an option on the 9700.
    08-06-09 08:10 PM
    The next release of AT&T's will allow for switching between 2 and 3G as will 5.0. It should be an option on the 9700.
    thats going to save everyone's battery life...
    08-06-09 09:33 PM
    does switching to .282 (from rogers) allow for picking 2g/3g on an Att bold?
    08-08-09 11:16 AM
    does switching to .282 (from rogers) allow for picking 2g/3g on an Att bold?
    Yes it does. Any OS from .282 up does. Just let me remind you this is 9700 discussion. With 5.0 it will be an option.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-09 11:22 AM
    Yes it does. Any OS from .282 up does. Just let me remind you this is 9700 discussion. With 5.0 it will be an option.

Xtreme, thx for the help, will keep bold topics in bold forum, got confused as it was talking about software for the bold
    08-08-09 01:57 PM
    Still don't understand why AT&T wanted to disable the option on other BB's in the first place. You think they would be happy that not everone wanted to use up their 3g, especially with all the damn iphones around.
    08-08-09 05:24 PM
    So I will make a few comments on this subject as a whole.

Even at&t engineers will acknowledge that disabling this feature in early bolds was a mistake. The last three SW versions we have received for testing at at&t had the feature available and you should soon see an at&t update for bold that will have this enabled.

The 9700 that has come to the field has this feature enabled and it works fine.

As for the 3G network. Yes it needs upgrading, it has been getting upgrades in capacity constantly since June 2008 when the first iPhone came out. We have been throwing money at this to add capacity like no one here would believe. Most of the customers, and many here as well, have no idea how this network works and what capacity it takes to run it. In terms of capacity many sites in our densely populated areas have been grown over 900% in capacity in the last 14 months. There isn't a carrier on the planet that has needed to add bandwidth to the levels we've had to.

Now were some of the network planners short sighted a bit on what the iPhone would do to traffic models? Yes, no one really knew what the device would do in terms of sales many believed it would sell well of course but no one came anywhere close to predicting what usage of the data network would be.

PG
    08-08-09 05:56 PM
    Sounds like they realised they made a mistake and are fixing it. That is always progess. If I want to use EDGE than let me

08-08-09 10:24 PM
    I hope they don't disable it.

If they change their mind at the last minute and do it wouldn't suprise me.

Anything to make their beloved iPhone look better.
    08-10-09 10:21 AM
    the main reason i never got the bold...

im not trying to use 3G every damn where and just lose my battery all fast and ****
    08-16-09 03:15 PM
    I agree, I think whoever had a part in making the decision on the bold the first time around was nothing thinking about the current 3G performance in the first place which was already unreliable and spotty long before the first iPhone 3g even came out. Why go through the trouble of removing a feature, for powerusers.
    08-18-09 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD