A few weeks back, Verizon changed their policy on throttling. Anyone over 2 gigs per month will potentially be throttled back. I was grandfathered in with the unlimited data plan, so I've never actually looked at my data consumption until I saw the throttling article. Turns out they're saying I used almost 3 gigs last month via 3g. I viewed the details and can see most of my data usage was while I was at my home. The thing is...when at home, my bberry shows I am using wifi...or so I thought.

the wifi icon lights up when i'm at home, but i dont think wifi is actually being used. i went to manage connections and turned my mobile network (verizon) off. After doing this, my data transfer speed and browsing experience improved dramatically. I've owned this phone for a little over a year and always assumed 3g and wifi were roughly the same speed.

Anywhoo, here are my questions...is my phone screwed up or does everyone have to turn off their mobile network in order to utilize the faster wifi speeds? anyone else experience this? anything I can do to make the phone automatically choose wifi over 3g when it's available?
    Last edited by jwinter33; 09-30-11 at 03:03 PM.
    09-30-11 02:56 PM
    Another question...is there a way to receive calls while browsing the web via wifi?
    09-30-11 03:02 PM
    I've owned this phone for a little over a year and always assumed 3g and wifi were roughly the same speed.

Anywhoo, here are my questions...is my phone screwed up or does everyone have to turn off their mobile network in order to utilize the faster wifi speeds? anyone else experience this? anything I can do to make the phone automatically choose wifi over 3g when it's available?
    WiFi is definitely faster than the 3G mobile network. Your phone should be choosing WiFi when there is one to connect to automatically. That's how mine works.

Another question...is there a way to receive calls while browsing the web via wifi?
    With WiFi enabled you can talk and surf simultaneously
    09-30-11 06:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD