Is there a difference between the two?

By handheld wipe, I mean: Options, Security, General Settings then hit the menu/BB key and select Wipe Handheld.

I'll be doing the jump to .282 soon and I've read that there might be some wifi issues without a pre-install wipe. I've also read that wiping is never necessary before a new OS install, as the process itself wipes the handheld before the new OS is installed. So of course this is all very confusing.
    07-09-09 02:02 AM
    theres no need to wipe ur device, just back up ur data and install following the same instructions when it comes to upgrading os'
    07-09-09 02:05 AM
    There is a reason. Its so you don't get old modules mixed with new. Wipe with JL Cmder wipes the OS wiping with wipe handheld resets to factory IIRC.

Backup your address book and whatever else wipe with JL install new OS restore backup and done.
    07-09-09 02:24 AM
    theres no need to wipe ur device, just back up ur data and install following the same instructions when it comes to upgrading os'
    But that IS NOT what he asked.
    WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE THE INABILTY TO JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION?
    Chiuman not completely directed at you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-09-09 02:26 AM
    The handheld wipe removes all data but leaves the OS, more like a reset to factory settings.

JL removes the OS.

A wipe is not necessary for an upgrade.
    07-09-09 05:11 AM
    But that IS NOT what he asked.
    WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS SITE HAVE THE INABILTY TO JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION?
    Chiuman not completely directed at you.

That's because many have run into problems doing unnecessary wipes. If you saw someone about to do something wrong would you stop them? Wiping should be done as a final step to try to resolve or trouble shoot technical issues and is no way needed to upgrade to another OS. When upgrading your device is automatically wiped. I'll also say that the OP should just upgrade his OS and don't wipe the device.

07-09-09 07:04 AM
    handheld wipe just erases all data jlcmder erases the whole phone and you can just install the operating system but i use bbsk which has a nice gui and never had a problem with it
    07-09-09 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD