OK,
    so this stupid girl I know spilt half a bottle of wine into my open purse. My phone was in its leather case, but unfortunately it still got pretty soaked. It didnt turn off or anything because I immediately took it apart and put it on a drying rack. I let it sit for 3 days just to be safe and used my other phone. It was having some problems before the wine, so anything that I noticed was not new.

Anyway this is my problem, I warranted my phone without any issue and theyre sending me a new device, it should be here any time now. I looked inside the battery housing the other day when I was doing a battery pull and noticed that the inside WDI is slightly pink. My friend has an HTC Touch and his WDI was tripped and he said he used a little cotton swab with some bleach and that cleared it right up. I'm wondering if anyone has done this with a Bold and if it works? I'm really desperate becaues I dont want to be charged for the replacement device.

But if worse comes to worse I'll make her pay for it.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    06-16-09 01:40 PM
    Can I have your #? thanks.

:-p

jk. (kinda)

Uhm so they said they would warranty your phone? What was the reason you gave them for the claim?

Looks like you're coming up on a dead end pretty quick.

1) It'd be fraud to try and coverup any trace of water damage by using bleach...

2) you probably don't care. But if you do do such a thing, they will probably notice it. They come across these situations all the time I imagine.

Good luck.
    06-16-09 01:47 PM
    Lol

Well the camera randomly turns on, my phone has these "uncaught exception" and "java error" prompts that pop up and I was on livechat support with rogers and they remotely wiped and reloaded my phone for me and deemed it still messed-up so they said they would send me a replacement device.

Yah I understand that, and I understand that I'm playing with fire here, but I really dont have much choice except to try that method. My friend with the HTC did that and then warranted his phone without any problems, but he is with Bell Mobility.

But thanks for the advice anyways :P
    06-16-09 01:55 PM
    wet the shipping box =p
    06-16-09 02:01 PM
    call them up tell them you want to cancel your contract...they'll transfer you to another dept and ask you why... tell them you need a new phone and it's cheaper to pay the cancellation fee and go with their competitor...

Doesn't matter if your contract isn't up... They read their script "well, ms.xxx you been with us for quite a while and we value you as a customer. Is there anything we can do to keep you as a customer?"...

You say, "it's just cheaper to pay for the cancellation fee and get a new phone at xyz"..

They'll come back on the phone and tell you they can give you the new phone for (whatever # they come up with on their guidelines)...

How do you get your $ back? They will typically just credit your account and you pay the full price on the phone, so it's a wash..

I've gotten quite a few phones wet , as well ....
    06-16-09 02:24 PM
    Thats a good idea, and I would do that if my replacement hadn't already been shipped...
    06-16-09 03:49 PM
    If they already told you they'll send out a replacement then likely you'll be ok. Unless there's some sort of clause in your contract with them that says any exchanged devices returned damage will be at your expense... lets hope not. haha.

Thats a good idea, and I would do that if my replacement hadn't already been shipped...
    06-16-09 04:41 PM
    I've heard the bleach and q-tip trick before. Worked on a friends HTC that went swimming in a lake. AT&T replaced it.
    06-16-09 06:13 PM
    Why is 'theft' from a mobile company or insurer acceptable?
    06-17-09 01:59 AM
    Because its a rip off how much you pay, its a rip off that because due to this girls mistake, after I've babied my phone, I am going to have to pay out $600. These companys are worth multi-billions of dollars and replacing my phone costs them pennies in the scale of things. And finally, its ridiculous that the WDI strip has NOTHING to do with the software and device malfuntioning and yet it is now "my problem".
    06-17-09 03:26 AM
    Because its a rip off how much you pay, its a rip off that because due to this girls mistake, after I've babied my phone, I am going to have to pay out $600. These companys are worth multi-billions of dollars and replacing my phone costs them pennies in the scale of things. And finally, its ridiculous that the WDI strip has NOTHING to do with the software and device malfuntioning and yet it is now "my problem".

Of course it's your problem, your carrier didn't drop wine over your phone - if you want to claim off of someone who is responsible for your predicament then claim off your dippy friend who dropped wine all over your phone.
    Profit made by companies who are successfull is not a justifiable reason for stealing from them - what you are proposing to do is just plain wrong. People like you increase the costs of everything for everyone else - your proposed actions are plain anti-social as well as illegal.
    06-17-09 07:35 AM
    Of course it's your problem, your carrier didn't drop wine over your phone - if you want to claim off of someone who is responsible for your predicament then claim off your dippy friend who dropped wine all over your phone.
    Profit made by companies who are successfull is not a justifiable reason for stealing from them - what you are proposing to do is just plain wrong. People like you increase the costs of everything for everyone else - your proposed actions are plain anti-social as well as illegal.
    "Anti-social" is purely a matter of opinion, but "illegal"? Be careful using that word. Technically, AT&T might have a cause of action for civil fraud. But are they going to pay a lawyer $400 an hour and a $350 filing fee in court to sue for damages that only amount to $150 or whatever their wholesale cost for a replacement Bold is?

I don't think so.
    06-17-09 07:55 AM
    "Anti-social" is purely a matter of opinion, but "illegal"? Be careful using that word. Technically, AT&T might have a cause of action for civil fraud. But are they going to pay a lawyer $400 an hour and a $350 filing fee in court to sue for damages that only amount to $150 or whatever their wholesale cost for a replacement Bold is?

I don't think so.
    No, but they will add the replacement cost of the phone to your bill. This was covered in another thread. In several related incidents, a liquid damaged phone was called in as bad and a replacement was sent out right away. Once the bad phone arrived and was inspected, it was discovered that the tell tale sticker was activated and the user received a nice big, fat bill. I think even the newest tech can smell bleach or see that the sticker has been scrubbed. I would not expect this to work, but I suppose it could. As far as trying to justify fraud, not sure how you voluntarily buying a phone ($6 or $600) and another person spilling wine on it makes this the carrier's responsibility. If you thought you were getting ripped off, you shouldn't have bought it.
    06-17-09 08:04 AM
    "Anti-social" is purely a matter of opinion,
    That's just your opinion - anything that adversely affects the rest of society is anti-social.
    Theft affects costs adversely for everyone in society, so yes it's anti-social.

"
    but "illegal"? Be careful using that word. Technically, AT&T might have a cause of action for civil fraud. But are they going to pay a lawyer $400 an hour and a $350 filing fee in court to sue for damages that only amount to $150 or whatever their wholesale cost for a replacement Bold is?

I don't think so.
    Fraud is a crime in most countries that I know.
    Knowingly making a false claim on insurance is fraud - the OP is fixing to attempt to remove the evidence of liquid damage to fool the carrier into thinking that the product is faulty, which it isn't.
    Whether or not the carrier is prepared to engage a lawyer does not alter those actions being a crime in most countries. As a criminal matter it would be enforced by the law enforcement agencies, however even if it is not enforced it is plain wrong.
    06-17-09 09:30 AM
    Some friend. You should damage his personal items if you ask me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 09:43 AM
    That's just your opinion - anything that adversely affects the rest of society is anti-social.

Knowingly making a false claim on insurance is fraud - the OP is fixing to attempt to remove the evidence of liquid damage to fool the carrier into thinking that the product is faulty, which it isn't.
    Whether or not the carrier is prepared to engage a lawyer does not alter those actions being a crime in most countries. As a criminal matter it would be enforced by the law enforcement agencies, however even if it is not enforced it is plain wrong.
    Yes its wrong to try and fool the company but what you are forgetting is the phone was on the fritz before the wine happened and the op was going to get it replaced anyway it just so happened to get wine spilled on it after the fact.

06-17-09 10:28 AM
    Point is the fact that trying to fool the carrier is illegal. It doesn't matter what your reasons are. If you friend spilled the drink, it's their fault.

It is not up to one person to decided that someone's business is unfair and therefore deems stealing ok. If rogers/bell/your carrier makes money it is because of a simple concept called supply and demand. It is not their fault that they make money, and it doesn't make it right to steal.

Nice first post.
    06-17-09 12:35 PM
    I actually poured water onto my bold keyboard once. Totally freaked out. But it actually didn't go kaboom and the keyboard worked fine. Goes to show. The bold, is really bold and strong ;D
    06-17-09 06:36 PM
    YES, I am aware that it is not the carrier's responsibilty that this stupid girl poured wine into my purse, but whats even worse is Rogers turning it around and telling me that because the WDI strip is slightly pink it must be water damage that is causing the problem...when it certainly isn't. And guess what, this b**ch ain't paying and I make minimum wage.
    06-18-09 05:26 AM
    Take the girl to small claims court once your bill comes with the extra charge.

06-18-09 06:14 AM

Sorry, my friend, you are mistaken, and are painting with far too broad of brush. The term "fraud" is quite a general one, and the type of fraud we've been discussing is not a crime.

It may be cause for a civil suit, as I'd mentioned, but there is no statute, at least in the state I live, that proscribes this type of fraud as a criminal offense. For example, if one gives a false statement regarding one's financial condition, assets, or liabilities in order to obtain money or property, that is criminal fraud.

Bleaching the sticker on the inside of a cell phone so you can pretend the cell phone did not suffer damage outside of the terms of the warranty is not a crime. Perhaps it is different in the UK, but this is how it is in the US.
    06-18-09 08:01 AM
    "Gives false statement in order to obtain money or PROPERTY". Sounds like exactly what she's doing. Its like lying about an amount of property stolen from your car in order to file a claim.

06-18-09 08:10 AM
    I can't believe how far this has gone
    06-18-09 02:43 PM
    neither can I, really.
    06-18-09 10:05 PM
    I can't believe how far this has gone
    It goes no farther than this.
    06-18-09 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD