^^ Except that you have no guarantee on what you are getting as a replacement.

Problem #1) A crapton of the units have this problem. Supposedly even the ones that don't still depress more on one side than they do on the other....

Problem #2) Swapping for a new phone or repeatedly swapping opens the possibility of new problems or inconsistencies that your old unit didn't have.
    06-18-10 08:21 PM
    ^^ Except that you have no guarantee on what you are getting as a replacement.

Problem #1) A crapton of the units have this problem. Supposedly even the ones that don't still depress more on one side than they do on the other....

Problem #2) Swapping for a new phone or repeatedly swapping opens the possibility of new problems or inconsistencies that your old unit didn't have.
    #1 - my new unit is perfect

#2 - Agreed, I was very worried about this...new unit could have much worse issues than a crooked trackpad (operational, etc) but so far so good

All I'm saying is that I held out for a new BB for awhile and want it to be perfect
    06-18-10 08:39 PM
    #1 - my new unit is perfect

#2 - Agreed, I was very worried about this...new unit could have much worse issues than a crooked trackpad (operational, etc) but so far so good

All I'm saying is that I held out for a new BB for awhile and want it to be perfect
    You will be holding out forever then. There is no such thing as perfect if it is man-made.
    06-18-10 10:33 PM
    Shift + Spacebar is page up btw

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-10 11:18 PM
    The Droid Incredible is a much better option.
    06-19-10 04:34 AM
    Has anyone taken thier 9650 apart to see why it's not level? I think mine has actually gotten worse over the past few day.
    06-19-10 06:54 AM
    I may be wrong but I don't think there is any difference on what brand is on the phone, they are made at the same factory or 2.

I worked at a factory where grills were made and we made them for several brands, just change the name plate and a few items was all.
    06-19-10 08:28 AM
    I just got a 9650 too, and the crooked and slanted trackpad is driving me crazy, and I'm not even a phone junky. When looking straight down on it, from the top, it slants downward toward the right, and when looking it it level, from the bottom, the left side is higher than the right. Call me crazy, but it makes precise tracking on the right side a little more challenging since you are rubbing the Back button earlier than the left side of the pad.

My guess is that they were snapped in all the way. Given how widespread the problem is, risking the exchange doesn't make sense. But if you can easily open it up without damaging the case and check it out, that may be an option I'm willing to explore.

And yes, when I use the trackpad, I get a slight click/squeak occasionally when scrolling down. Seems like every BB has some mechanical issue lately. Too bad, as they are nice devices overall.
    06-20-10 10:51 AM
    I just got a 9650 too, and the crooked and slanted trackpad is driving me crazy, and I'm not even a phone junky. When looking straight down on it, from the top, it slants downward toward the right, and when looking it it level, from the bottom, the left side is higher than the right. Call me crazy, but it makes precise tracking on the right side a little more challenging since you are rubbing the Back button earlier than the left side of the pad.

And yes, when I use the trackpad, I get a slight click/squeak occasionally when scrolling down. Seems like every BB has some mechanical issue lately. Too bad, as they are nice devices overall.
    I completely agree that it makes it difficult to track on the right side of the track pad.

At first my trackpad seemed normal, but then after a couple of days of use it started to slant and creek and it started to really really bug me! So today I called Verizon and asked if it was stupid to go in my local Verizon store to get a replacement, the lady on the line told me that it seems like a defect and that I should go there and replace it. She also told me to look at several different bolds to make sure the one I get has no trackpad slant.

I am planning on going in there tomorrow...
    06-24-10 12:15 AM
    For what its worth, I went to the Verizon store and they were willing to replace mine, which is crooked. But the one they took out of the box also was crooked so I just passed on the replacement. You may want to wait until the initial run of devices is gone and there is confirmation that the newer ones are fixed. I think this is a production error not a design choice. Hopefully it is being corrected but the straight devices might not be on the street yet.
    06-24-10 12:23 PM
    I thought I read that another BB model had the same issue. Seems very odd.
    06-24-10 12:31 PM
    If it wasn't mentioned here, most people wouldn't even notice the trackpad tilt. It's really very, very minor. You're trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    I agree with Monty. I didn't notice mine until seeing threads about it.
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-24-10 at 01:04 PM. Reason: typos ugh :-(
    06-24-10 12:45 PM
    I noticed it as well, slight downward slant on the right side. You can feel it when you rub over the trackpad yet it seems to still work ok. I will give it a couple of weeks and see how it works, if not a friendly phone call to CS and I'm sure they will take care of me. Again, I am grateful for receiving a Bold and finally retiring the Tour.
    06-24-10 12:57 PM
    I got my Bold 9630 from VZW about five days ago, and it had serious performance issues right out of the box -- calls breaking up, once dropping (in a spot where my Curve never did), and once getting stuck in perpetual vibrate when I received an email with no screen or keyboard response.

VZW tech support sent me a replacement, which arrived today. As soon as I began to set up the second device, I noticed the drastically tilted trackpad.

I compared it to the first device.

The first device had a tilted trackpad, too, which was just barely minor enough that I didn't notice it until that moment -- but once I noticed, it's' pretty bad and invites uneven response (and total discouragement with a professional-use phone).

The second device, on the other hand, was at least twice as tilted as the first. Really bad.

That much variation makes it a cut-and-dried fact that it's a manufacturing flaw and not a deliberate design "feature."

At that point, I took the two phones to my local VZW store, where I have a good relationship with the manager. She immediately agreed it was "really bad," agreed the second device was at least twice as tilted as the first, and then went to the back to find me a replacement device.

She had six units in the back, all with a manufacturing date of May 5th. She opened one and it had the same "very badly" tilted trackpad as my second unit.

We agreed that I'll hold onto what I have, and once she sees them coming through with the trackpad issue fixed she'll let me then do an exchange.
    06-29-10 11:52 PM
    I'm pretty frustrated with the quality issues with RIM lately. While I do mess around with my phones, I'm not an addict or anything. But I do expect it to work and not have flaws right out of the box. While I will continue using it, and won't jump ship, it's soured my mood on the whole thing to have me now consider it "just a phone" vs something I used to be interested in customizing, tweaking, etc.
    06-30-10 08:18 AM
    Yeah, mine is slightly higher. But I would not have noticed it if I did not frequent this forum.

And on mine, because of how the Pad reflects ambient light, you have to hold the phone just right to be able to see the "tilt".
    06-30-10 08:36 AM
    The Droid Incredible is a much better option.
    That depends on what you want out of a phone.
    06-30-10 10:34 AM
    I'm pretty frustrated with the quality issues with RIM lately. While I do mess around with my phones, I'm not an addict or anything. But I do expect it to work and not have flaws right out of the box. While I will continue using it, and won't jump ship, it's soured my mood on the whole thing to have me now consider it "just a phone" vs something I used to be interested in customizing, tweaking, etc.
    What's interesting is that this type of stuff primarily seems to happen with CDMA phones from RIM. There don't seem to be the same issues with the GSM phones that RIM puts out. I just think that CDMA isn't much of a priority for RIM so that is why these Sprint and VZW devices have all these issues.
    06-30-10 11:46 AM
    I got my Bold 9630 from VZW about five days ago, and it had serious performance issues right out of the box -- calls breaking up, once dropping (in a spot where my Curve never did), and once getting stuck in perpetual vibrate when I received an email with no screen or keyboard response.

VZW tech support sent me a replacement, which arrived today. As soon as I began to set up the second device, I noticed the drastically tilted trackpad.

I compared it to the first device.

The first device had a tilted trackpad, too, which was just barely minor enough that I didn't notice it until that moment -- but once I noticed, it's' pretty bad and invites uneven response (and total discouragement with a professional-use phone).

The second device, on the other hand, was at least twice as tilted as the first. Really bad.

That much variation makes it a cut-and-dried fact that it's a manufacturing flaw and not a deliberate design "feature."

At that point, I took the two phones to my local VZW store, where I have a good relationship with the manager. She immediately agreed it was "really bad," agreed the second device was at least twice as tilted as the first, and then went to the back to find me a replacement device.

She had six units in the back, all with a manufacturing date of May 5th. She opened one and it had the same "very badly" tilted trackpad as my second unit.

We agreed that I'll hold onto what I have, and once she sees them coming through with the trackpad issue fixed she'll let me then do an exchange.
    I wonder if the ones with the worst pads use to be a tour2 that was coming out and got turned into a bold.

They would have to take the phone apart to make the changes and put it back together.
    06-30-10 07:32 PM
    The quality of these BBs have been really bad these past couple of years. This maybe my last BB. I work too hard to spend my money on poor performing and/or poor manufactured phones. We deserve better to be as loyal as we are to RIM.

06-30-10 08:40 PM
    I wonder if the ones with the worst pads use to be a tour2 that was coming out and got turned into a bold.

They would have to take the phone apart to make the changes and put it back together.
    That actually makes perfect sense. They probably had a ton of Tour 9630 phones produced that they knew they'd never sell. The conversion was all electronics internally, but with this one hardware change.

And someone was in a rush to get them converted and sloppily slapped together a "guide" for manually fitting them into place. (Which explains why some are tilted more than others -- someone made "a few" guides, one sloppier than the next, and sent them to the various production facilities.)

That actually does sound very logical.

At least that means we can know when we have �fresh, new� 9650s instead of 9630 conversions � when the trackpad is perfectly lined up sometime in the future. (If we�re able to get a replacement at that time.)

The quality of these BBs have been really bad these past couple of years. This maybe my last BB. I work too hard to spend my money on poor performing and/or poor manufactured phones. We deserve better to be as loyal as we are to RIM.

I also feel it's inexcusable. $500 is not chump change in most people's book. And even if we got it for less, we still traded something in for the difference.

For many people, including me, the tilt is so bad as to compromise functionality.

I won't even begin to try to put a dollar value on my time for trips to the store and having to set up a new phone again. (Minimum $500 in time spent, since I'm CEO of a small, fast-growing company... and it�s at least a few hours dealing with it. �Everyone� should value their time to where a few hours is inexcusable.)

As a businessman, I know there is no real choice but BlackBerry. So I'm not one to jump ship over this. But it does make me lean more in that direction if and when others get near to what BES offers for business users.

It's really stupid, if you ask me, that a company like RIM doesn't know better than to let some "penny-pinchers" in manufacturing cost them so much money in the field with lost reputation and lost future business. Really insane.

If you have cheap labor and production facilities, fine. Ever hear of QC/QA?

Uh, it means "look at it" before you lock it into a mass production run, folks.

Really stupid.

It�s not like this was a software glitch that went unnoticed until it was reported.

No excuse in the world!
    06-30-10 09:23 PM
    My 9650 is about a week old, and I've barely had a chance to familiarize myself with it due to how busy I've been with work. Today, I finally get a chance to mess with it and this trackpad problem is driving me nuts. I cannot imagine ever being able to tolerate it. (Higher on left, lower on right.)

Has anyone gotten a replacement without this problem from Sprint, or are there instructions on how to fix it? I'm not even sure if I can exchange in-store because when I order I have to do it online due to the plan I'm on.

This is some very very poor QC, or just quality.
    07-01-10 11:37 AM
    Seriously, the right side of the trackpad actually lies below the back button, while the left side protrudes well above the bb menu button. This effectively makes the trackpad smaller as I think I lose some tracking surface on the RH side due to this dip.

Do others have this much of a disparity between RH and LH, or is mine an extreme case? I was quite happy to get this device in hand, and with the features and screen, etc., but this trackpad problem is making it unusable.
    07-01-10 03:03 PM
    Does anyone know a email to some higher ups at RIM we can share our comments with.

07-01-10 04:54 PM
    klepter, I feel the same way. That's what I told Verizon, that I feel like I can't use the right side of the trackpad. I may sound extreme, but it's annoying. I'm not an apologist for BB. They made another quality snafu, and it's frustrating. I'm on my second Bold, and I feel like this one is worse than the first. The more I'm using it, the more I feel the button within the trackpad is getting "softer" too.
    07-01-10 06:10 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD