I'm confused. I'm thinking of trying Mobilicity and want to pay for an unlocked Bold 9700. My question is, can I buy an unlocked phone from any of the other networks (Rogers, Telus, Fido, etc.) and have it work on the Mobilicity AWS network?
    07-08-10 10:19 PM
    simple answer.... no it will not work... Mobilicity uses 1700/2100mhz.... Rogers, telus, bell use 850/1900mhz

and i dont even think it would work on EDGE either as i believe Mobilicity is going to be a HSPA only network, no fallback to EDGE...

so you need to get your hands on either a Mobilicity, WIND, or T-Mobile US 9700... nothing else will work for you
    Last edited by c_86; 07-09-10 at 12:09 AM.
    07-08-10 10:24 PM
    Mobilicity is 1700/2100 aws, while Bell Telus and Rogers are 850/1900 band, so, no it will not work.
    I doubt Mobilicity has a 2g network to fall back on either.

Devices from T-Mobile USA would be compatible.
    07-08-10 10:25 PM
    Then my next question is if the reverse is also true. That a Mobilicity/Wind phone will not work on Rogers/Telus/Bell either? I thought I read that the Blackberry Bold 9700 was made to work on all bands. Does selecting one band automatically block the other such that there is no way of switching back and forth depending on network?
    07-09-10 10:50 AM
    Then my next question is if the reverse is also true. That a Mobilicity/Wind phone will not work on Rogers/Telus/Bell either? I thought I read that the Blackberry Bold 9700 was made to work on all bands. Does selecting one band automatically block the other such that there is no way of switching back and forth depending on network?
    Depends on the phone and the carrier. In the case of Rogers, they have backup GSM networks, the EDGE and below so a Mobilicity/Wild device, provided it had the EDGE (and back) radios (and the 9700s do) would work, BUT not at 3G. You need to check the specs of the phone before you buy it and networks and frequencies of the carrier you plan to use the phone on.
    07-09-10 11:17 AM
    technically the 9700 chip can support every single frequencies on the planet... but its the firmware (which cannot be changed/hack/flashed etc etc) that sets the frequencies for said network its branded to... hence why you need the right 9700 for the frequencies you need...
    07-10-10 12:59 AM
    Is it even possible to buy a blackberry that will support all frequencies - i.e. one that isn't branded to any network either here or overseas? India? China? Singapore? Anywhere?
    07-10-10 10:12 PM
    nope unless you break into RIM and steal one or something like that its not possible... sorry
    07-10-10 10:43 PM
    I'm confused. I'm thinking of trying Mobilicity and want to pay for an unlocked Bold 9700. My question is, can I buy an unlocked phone from any of the other networks (Rogers, Telus, Fido, etc.) and have it work on the Mobilicity AWS network?
    Since the Blackberry 9700 comes with bands 1700/2100 it will be able to support it even if it's unlocked, I tryed it awhile ago and it worked for me.
    07-17-10 11:22 AM
    Since the Blackberry 9700 comes with bands 1700/2100 it will be able to support it even if it's unlocked, I tryed it awhile ago and it worked for me.
    You won't have 3G. You'll have a phone and if EDGE works, you'll have that. Rogers has the 2100 band but it won't release it, so all these great European and Asian phones that use 2100 will work but no 3G. And a Blackberry designed for a set of bands works completely only on those bands. A Wind BB will not give 3G on Rogers, Fido, Bell, Telus and visa versa.
    07-17-10 02:04 PM
    it worked for you because tmo uses those bands standard... the OP wanted to know if a rogers/at&t/bell/telus one would work... and the simple answers no, as those carriers bands are diff then tmo and wind...
    07-18-10 01:16 AM
    I have a 9700 on Rogers that has been unlocked. I tried it on Mobilicity network yesterday and it wouldn't work. Sales rep at Mobilicity said Rogers disables something (can't remember what) to make the phone useless on Mobilicity's network.

ZH
    11-03-10 11:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD