I switched from an iPhone 3GS to a BB9700 in November of 09. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST TECH MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! After 3 months with the 9700, I can state this:
    1. The Browser is HORRIFIC.
    2. The Keyboard SUCKS.
    3. APP World is a PATHETIC JOKE.
    4. Email sound Notifications and SMS sound Notifications change at RANDOM.
    5. There are only TWO GREAT THINGS about my 9700, and they are the PUSH email app and the Calendar app.
    6. All in all, I CANT WAIT TO THROW THIS PIECE OF CRAP PHONE ALONG WITH THE OBSOLETE OS INTO THE TRASH CAN WHERE IT BELONGS!

Wake up people! Sure. the iPhone with its 150,000 plus apps (149,950 of which are USELESS) has become an omnipresent TOY! However, it still BLOWS ANY AND EVERY BLACKBERRY RIGHT OFF THE MAP IN TERMS OF USABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY AND EASE OF USE! What's next for me? Verizon, and the HTC Nexus One or HTC Desire. The Android OS is the future! May Blackberry suffer a slow and painful death! I absolutely LOATHE my 9700, its a PIECE OF JUNK!
    02-21-10 09:22 AM
    LOL!!!! OK! Glad you got that off your chest!

I'm wide awake, and since the device suits me extremely well, I disagree with most of your assessment. I do agree the browser sucks, which is the reason I use Bolt. But...piece of crap? Nah, I don't find it so.

I wish you all the best with the phone you choose! A lot of people speak very well of Verizon and the Android OS so you will be happy.
    02-21-10 09:31 AM
    LOL!!!! OK! Glad you got that off your chest!

I'm wide awake, and since the device suits me extremely well, I disagree with most of your assessment. I do agree the browser sucks, which is the reason I use Bolt. But...piece of crap? Nah, I don't find it so.

I wish you all the best with the phone you choose! A lot of people speak very well of Verizon and the Android OS so you will be happy.
    now im not calling this phone a p.o.s. but what I do know is that it needs a bit of a change What I really want to see is a touch screen at the top that would just about make it perfect oh and make the browser faster....
    02-24-10 03:20 PM
    now im not calling this phone a p.o.s. but what I do know is that it needs a bit of a change What I really want to see is a touch screen at the top that would just about make it perfect oh and make the browser faster....
    Sorry for any confusion...I meant to answer jds4000's post.
    02-24-10 03:25 PM
    Sorry for any confusion...I meant to answer jds4000's post.
    no I was just commenting on your comment to him, you see the dedicated blackberry users and then the on the fence people are way different Im an on the fence person where ill go back and forth.....if they had a touch screen with the keyboard like the hp-Ipaq then it would knock me off the fence
    02-24-10 03:55 PM
    I think anyone who thinks Blackberry will be obsolete needs to WAKE up! True, RIM can be a bit slow when it comes to apps & features... & the browser is a bit disappointing. If you ask me though, a phone needs to be more than a bunch of pointless apps that it can download. I'm actually GLAD that the BB App Store isn't full of junk like 'jokes for ****-time' apps. If that's REALLY what matters in a phone, then by ALL means... Stick with your mainstream highly commercial & annoying TOYS.

Blackberry has evolved & if you ask me, it's done a darn good job. I got my first berry in 2006 & it was a 71xx series I used on Nextel with a TRACKWHEEL. Some of you have never even witnessed such a thing, so you don't even know to the extent RIM has improved their devices. New devices are hitting the stores that are better & better.

So just like everybody who JUST joined Team Blackberry to get a pearl, curve, tour etc... There will be more people next year flocking to the stores to do the same exact thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-10 04:59 PM
    I think anyone who thinks Blackberry will be obsolete needs to WAKE up! True, RIM can be a bit slow when it comes to apps & features... & the browser is a bit disappointing. If you ask me though, a phone needs to be more than a bunch of pointless apps that it can download. I'm actually GLAD that the BB App Store isn't full of junk like 'jokes for ****-time' apps. If that's REALLY what matters in a phone, then by ALL means... Stick with your mainstream highly commercial & annoying TOYS.

Blackberry has evolved & if you ask me, it's done a darn good job. I got my first berry in 2006 & it was a 71xx series I used on Nextel with a TRACKWHEEL. Some of you have never even witnessed such a thing, so you don't even know to the extent RIM has improved their devices. New devices are hitting the stores that are better & better.

So just like everybody who JUST joined Team Blackberry to get a pearl, curve, tour etc... There will be more people next year flocking to the stores to do the same exact thing.

a very thorough observation. blackberry will continue to evolve.
    02-24-10 05:26 PM

ok so because they went from a track wheel to a track pad that makes them evolved? ok maby im not getting your point but your definantly not getting mine Im saying they need to evolve more than they have they use to be the number one phone to have and now iPhone and Android are taking over they have push mail and way more usefull apps faster browsers and better resolution screens I mean they will be extinct with their motorolla razr icons and apps...more and more people are turning they either need to revamp or they will go bankrupt in no time
    02-24-10 06:41 PM
    I switched from an iPhone 3GS to a BB9700 in November of 09. THIS WAS THE BIGGEST TECH MISTAKE OF MY LIFE! After 3 months with the 9700, I can state this:
    1. The Browser is HORRIFIC.
    2. The Keyboard SUCKS.
    3. APP World is a PATHETIC JOKE.
    4. Email sound Notifications and SMS sound Notifications change at RANDOM.
    5. There are only TWO GREAT THINGS about my 9700, and they are the PUSH email app and the Calendar app.
    6. All in all, I CANT WAIT TO THROW THIS PIECE OF CRAP PHONE ALONG WITH THE OBSOLETE OS INTO THE TRASH CAN WHERE IT BELONGS!

Wake up people! Sure. the iPhone with its 150,000 plus apps (149,950 of which are USELESS) has become an omnipresent TOY! However, it still BLOWS ANY AND EVERY BLACKBERRY RIGHT OFF THE MAP IN TERMS OF USABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY AND EASE OF USE! What's next for me? Verizon, and the HTC Nexus One or HTC Desire. The Android OS is the future! May Blackberry suffer a slow and painful death! I absolutely LOATHE my 9700, its a PIECE OF JUNK!
    So why did you stay with the 9700? You could have returned it. Let's see here:

1. The native browser does indeed suck. You have choices like Opera Mini and Bolt.
    2. The keyboard may suck for you. I happen love it and so do others.
    3. You want more apps, you should have stayed with the iPhone without multitasking abilities, customization, and a battery you can even change yourself. Also, there's Android. Choices.
    4. I have somewhat of the same problem, big deal. I take my time and adjust my profiles.
    5. The 9700 has more than just push email and calender. Have you forgotten about the awesome battery life it has. Perhaps you don't care about battery life but more for uselesss apps.
    6. Don't throw it in the trash but throw to me or anyone else that loves their 9700.

If you think that iPhone blows every Blackberry off the map then you're wrong. Can you multitask? No. Maybe in the next one. Can you throw in a spare battery in there without sending it to have it serviced? No. Can you customize it to your liking? I think not. Do I find my Blackberry easy to use? I sure do. You don't need to be a rocket scientist for that. So if you LOATHE the 9700, WHY DID YOU GET IT? You could have played with it at the store before making that decision. Everyone has choices in devices. You made the wrong choice, it's on you.
    Last edited by Armando175; 02-24-10 at 07:18 PM.
    02-24-10 07:14 PM
    This thread has been thoroughly entertaining.
    02-24-10 07:42 PM

3) Do business users really need an app that makes an animated girl's breasts jiggle when you shake the phone? No. That's why there's less app development for Blackberry. Again, back to that market segment "thing".

I don't disagree with you in general. RIM could be doing it better, but let's compare apples to apples here. The BB is primarily targeted to business people, you can't do a direct comparison to a consumer oriented device.

Hey, I don't need an app for that!!! lol

Anyway, I wanted to jump in because it seems that everyone thinks Berries are for business people only!

Well, I am not a business person! I am in the military! And even though some of the Officers get berries, I don't, and my ownership of a berry is my own personal choice.

Why did I chose that over other smartphones? I don't need silly little apps like the one mentioned above! Or a fake zippo lighter, or a revolver either! I use apps like docs2go - and because I use them does NOT make me a business person! Regular people use word and excel too you know! I use the calendar app to keep track of appointments, and I have 2 separate email accounts pushing to the berry. I use it for weather updates, and RSS news feeds, and Facebook! Or the occasional MSN chat, or to look up something on Google Maps. Those apps are all actually productive! And I use it as an mp3 player too I chose a berry because after having many Windows Mobile devices (also not business related!) I decided I wanted a phone that worked WELL as a phone, and has STABLE OS that didn't require multiple reboots daily. Blackberrys just do what they do well without hiccups!

Think the OS looks dated? Then change your theme! But as far as I am concerned, the actual functionality of the OS is wonderfully stable!

... I love my berry and I don't use it for any actual 'business' use whatsoever! And I KNOW I am not the only one out there! I think RIM is still gaining popularity in the consumer market....... so they are not done yet!
    02-24-10 09:43 PM
    Hey, I don't need an app for that!!! lol

Anyway, I wanted to jump in because it seems that everyone thinks Berries are for business people only!

Well, I am not a business person! I am in the military! And even though some of the Officers get berries, I don't, and my ownership of a berry is my own personal choice.

Why did I chose that over other smartphones? I don't need silly little apps like the one mentioned above! Or a fake zippo lighter, or a revolver either! I use apps like docs2go - and because I use them does NOT make me a business person! Regular people use word and excel too you know! I use the calendar app to keep track of appointments, and I have 2 separate email accounts pushing to the berry. I use it for weather updates, and RSS news feeds, and Facebook! Or the occasional MSN chat, or to look up something on Google Maps. Those apps are all actually productive! And I use it as an mp3 player too I chose a berry because after having many Windows Mobile devices (also not business related!) I decided I wanted a phone that worked WELL as a phone, and has STABLE OS that didn't require multiple reboots daily. Blackberrys just do what they do well without hiccups!

Think the OS looks dated? Then change your theme! But as far as I am concerned, the actual functionality of the OS is wonderfully stable!

... I love my berry and I don't use it for any actual 'business' use whatsoever! And I KNOW I am not the only one out there! I think RIM is still gaining popularity in the consumer market....... so they are not done yet!
    It's not "only" for business people, as other media-driven phones aren't "only" for teens, but you can tell where the core market for those devices truly lies. We (the military) issue Blackberries because of their functionality and PUSH capabilities.

(would you take your 1st Sgt serious if he/she pulled out an iPhone or MotoBlur? lol)

RIM's Blackberry has had a huge surge recently with a broader range of consumers, and as such I believe you'll see an increased social impact and integration in their devices. But the CORE being what it is, I don't think it will ever truly be on par with a device built with the app-lover/game-player/media-junkie primarily in mind - on the social/games aspect. But it's a superior all-around device, IMO. We'll see though... that's part of the fun in waiting. ;-)
    Last edited by CrackBerryV79; 02-24-10 at 10:36 PM.
    02-24-10 10:01 PM
    Seriously. i dont think it matters.. Phones are meant to make money and comunicate. To many people want "TOYS" to play with. Let the game consol's do their job and the phones do theirs. I for one like the blackberry's form factor and the phones released this year and last are better then any i have put my hands on. You want a faster browser get on a computer. It's there but geez why does it have to take you everywhere and do everything a computer does.. its a small device and i dont care what company you go to NO ONE is going to have the perfect gaming/messaging/emailing/internet/picture/calling/ and what ever else people now days expect and small 3 by 6 inch device to do. Be amazed by how far technolegy has come be proud of the phone you chose to buy. Stop jumping ship every time something new comes out that looks cool. Simple fact of the matter is its all about what you use your device for i realize that we expect the world out of RIM But you have to respect the fact that they paved the way for smart phones.. Dont doubt that they will continue to blow you away. Sure they might have gotten lazy or maybe they realize that the majority of their consumer base is buisness... I think what it is is that too many over aged kids buy these phones because its cool to own a Blackberry and are let down because its a buisness based phone and not a toy.. Just my opinion
    02-24-10 10:19 PM
    Nothing says 'open for business' like a BlackBerry. I'm currently writing a proposal because someone saw me making a call on my new 9700 and asked me questions about how to use theirs, and what I do for a living.

IMO, it's the 'me-too' people who buy the iPhone. I bought the BlackBerry because it works. Let's face it - the iPhone is extremely poor at the phone part.
    02-24-10 10:26 PM
    ok so because they went from a track wheel to a track pad that makes them evolved? ok maby im not getting your point but your definantly not getting mine Im saying they need to evolve more than they have they use to be the number one phone to have and now iPhone and Android are taking over they have push mail and way more usefull apps faster browsers and better resolution screens I mean they will be extinct with their motorolla razr icons and apps...more and more people are turning they either need to revamp or they will go bankrupt in no time
    Absolutely! Evolution & change are exactly what they are, no matter how big or small. It's unfair to discredit their progress. I completely understand your angle. RIM does move slowly & with new devices coming out constantly, they do at times find themselves playing catch up. So, agreed!

BUT ... RIM will most definitely catch up! When they release a device -in my opinion- they release a top of the line device! RIM's software is POWERFUL. Even if you don't use your Blackberry for business uses, simple features like the ability to multi-task & instant email without the hassle of JAILBREAKING the software are major advantages. Think about it, did you JAILBREAK your iPhone? Because if you did, it's kinda unfair to compare cracked software to an OS that's strong hack-free.

& the icons on the phone may look outdated to you but I adore the precision icons. In fact I shop for themes that keep them in tact. You can always customize your BB though -- download a theme. No need to jailbreak or anything.

I mean, we could really go on all day. Lol. This is a debate that's been going forever!
    Last edited by fcknbambola; 02-24-10 at 10:55 PM.
    02-24-10 10:46 PM
    ok this was a great discussion.....this is exactly the passion I was trying to envoke from some fellow bb users...for or against we all have to realize this is a consumer market first and foremost, if just a few things were revamped like the browser speed....even on wifi its slow....and to add a user defined dedicated touch screen(top portion) that would push the blackberry device to the next gen what it so badly needs....with win mobile 7 on the horizon and android os getting smarter and faster rim needs to step it up....case.point.closed.
    03-08-10 02:05 AM
    RIM phones are outdated before they are even released. Here's my story with blackberry:

Bought a blackberry storm, it sucked. Bought a Droid Incredible. Threw away the ****storm. End of story.

PS **** you RIM, I want my money back.
    05-25-10 04:19 AM
    RIM phones are outdated before they are even released. Here's my story with blackberry:

Bought a blackberry storm, it sucked. Bought a Droid Incredible. Threw away the ****storm. End of story.

Then why would you throw away your money? *face+palm*
    05-25-10 04:28 AM
    They will if they keep serving people low res pics in their Facebook/BBM/Etc. Everything is hiRes nowadays. Granted this is more a business phone and primarily for communication but they do say a picture is worth a thousand words.

The ONLY real thing BBs have over other smartphones (with user base that doesn't really care about security) are tightly integrated contacts and messaging, with Facebook/BBM/MSN/Yahoo/Etc. And there's also those neat notifications. Android does this too now, and it's getting better.

Of course there is the phone to phone messenger. In my opinion is just the same IM like yahoo but with the air of exclusivity. pMessenger has the same concept, every 'PIN' is unique to one phone.

Technology gets obsolete fast. iPhone is garbage now and when it was first released compared to a lot of WinMo and Android phones. It's like their R&D goes straight to advertising for the phone.
    05-25-10 06:04 AM

This is the best comment ever.

Also, so true about the 9800, its touchscreen looks so outdated it looks like a 1st gen touch screen device of 2006.

Blackberry users here get their pu55y hurt every single time someone points out how insignificant of an upgrade their models vary from model to model or how slow and boring their OS 5 looks, also OS6 looks like a fancy theme with the same issues as OS5 such as crappy browser and crappy touch screen.

People will realize just how outdated their Blackberry are when they start seing more and more people with Android and iPhone 4G.
    05-25-10 09:05 AM
    This is the best comment ever.
    No, this is the best comment ever:
    As with the 8900 vs 9700, I see no difference whatsover. Same exact thing, 8900 is just way cheaper, but just as awesome if not better than the 9700
    05-25-10 09:22 AM
    No, this is the best comment ever:
    haha I gotta agree with that comment. I would love for some poor soul to take over my contract and phones (id pay him too), and me get myself telus so I can get droid.
    05-25-10 09:31 AM
    Blackberry is like that car that your friend has that has 300,000 miles on it but it still runs better than a new car.

Android, Iphone and other phones like that I love to think they are toys because they are designed not to work. I personally switched from Iphone 3g and I have to say when I needed anything off the net - the damn phone did not work.
    05-25-10 10:18 AM
    I will consider a Droid when it can handle email like a BlackBerry. As far as I know, BlackBerry is the only smartphone with email redirect.
    05-25-10 10:26 AM
    Would like to share my 2 cents. Pulled the trigger yesterday and got 9700. I had 9000 before, but primary was using iPhone 3G recently. Was really tired of iPhone *not* giving me chance to use faster email, so wanted to jump back to Blackberry. Frankly I loved it for half a day. Then, when tried to do something more an email/SMSs -- it got on my nerves. I had to return the phone back to the store today. I don't think that using old/legacy OS benefits anybody. I just don't want to lock myself in legacy stuff, so I am sticking with my old iPhone, but I'll be looking to jump to new iPhone HD/4G or some Android device (Nexus One? Droid? don't know yet). I have to use phone primary for business needs, which (is a small business) doesn't need any BES bells and whistles and it goes pretty smoothly with handling all IT part with Google Apps (all Calendars, Contacts, Emails, etc.)
    iPhone works fine with it. And Blackberry. And Droid. But I get more with iPhone because of the browser. And some apps are quite useful, but *I completely agree* that I can get same apps on Blackberry too.
    I believe RIM can pull something new; I just don't see it happening any time soon. I am kinda disappointed that Bold 9000 *still* has no OS5. That's just dumb. And they are talking about OS6? I don't want to go after the newest device just to get newest OS. I can run dev version of iPhone OS 4 on my outdated and slow 3G, but still!.. Nexus One runs new very fast Android 2.2 at it has been less than a week after announcement.
    I don't care about videos/music that much (Blackberry actually I think satisfies *all* of my media needs), so I am not even comparing iPhone or Androids in this field. They probably do it better, but I dont care. I am down to the business needs. Email, texting, calendar, contacts, calls, viewing PDFs, drafts -- and frankly, I see that iPhone does it well enough.
    The other thing -- *all* new devices are going to be touch-screens soon. Like very soon. RIM saw that. Failed to implement nice with Storm. Now, they are trying to do OS6 all about touching. Will it help? Have no idea, we all need to see it first, right?
    The other thing - where RIM was strong -- the BBM messaging... Well, unfortunately, now business sector is very diverse, so some of my contacts are *not* on BBM, some of them are, but still use something like AIM/Google Talk/Jabber.. So I have to adjust for that, thus BBM itself is not that critical anymore.
    And to crown it all -- actually, I find Google's PUSH email working just nice on Android and iPhone. I am not sure if there is any other technical benefit of Blackberry in the email. But I *certainly* agree and LOVE the way how Blackberry did UI about emails/messages. It's so easy to use. I would LOVE to have same on all devices.
    05-25-10 12:41 PM
251 ... 891011
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD