I am the lone BB user in my company and have been for about a year now. A guy come up to me yesterday while I was using my 9700. I felt like a "old out of touch" relic when the he said; "You still using that typewriter"? Now I cant stand the iphone and I have every opportunity to use it if I want to but if that's not the writing on the wall I don't know what is.
    While calling the 9700 a relic is just sillyness because it is an exceptional piece of hardware, you are right that the momentum is swinging away from BlackBerry as we've been discussing. And your statement about the writing on the wall is certainly timely.
    02-16-10 03:48 PM
    While your family is imporant, they are not relevant.

In two tiny years, Apple's iPhone zoomed to 24 million users and is still growing aggressively. BlackBerry took 15 slow years to get to 40 million users and their user base is falling.

A family full of BlackBerry addicts here and there or a family full of iPhone addicts here are there are completely irrelevant. There are probably full families who use the Palm. It doesn't matter.

What's relevant is that the iPhone is undeniably growing at a trend that if left unchecked will leave the BlackBerry in the dust. And those are statistical facts.
    How are families irrelevant if that is who RIM is shifting their focus too? If anything they are now MORE relevant than ever compared to before when RIM was only making pagers, back when FAMILIES DIDN'T USE PAGERS.

You are infecting this thread with your "my opinion or no opinion" stance just like you did in the .442 thread. It really needs to stop. WE DON'T ALWAYS AGREE WITH YOU. And that's OKAY!

And what factual evidence do you have that RIM is "cutting corners?". And please spare us the "read the forums" response.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 03:52 PM
    I am the lone BB user in my company and have been for about a year now. A guy come up to me yesterday while I was using my 9700. I felt like a "old out of touch" relic when the he said; "You still using that typewriter"? Now I cant stand the iphone and I have every opportunity to use it if I want to but if that's not the writing on the wall I don't know what is.
    What exactly is that "writing" saying? Lol

All of you that think RIM will disappear for some reason are only lying to yourselves.

02-16-10 03:54 PM
    I miss my startac
    I LOVED my Startac!!!!! Aaaawwww.....boohoo....

02-16-10 03:58 PM
    I LOVED my Startac!!!!! Aaaawwww.....boohoo....

About a year ago Motorola brought back an anniversary edition of the Startac that they released with updated technology. Might be something for you to look into?
    02-16-10 04:00 PM
    While calling the 9700 a relic is just sillyness because it is an exceptional piece of hardware, you are right that the momentum is swinging away from BlackBerry as we've been discussing. And your statement about the writing on the wall is certainly timely.

I just feel like the 9700 is overall a great device but sometimes I pine for the flashy. The ultimate in your face is when I stream pandora or slacker for 5 plus hrs and email all day with battery to spare at the end of a shift. Then my coworkers are all like ... LoL!
    02-16-10 04:01 PM
    I just feel like the 9700 is overall a great device but sometimes I pine for the flashy. The ultimate in your face is when I stream pandora or slacker for 5 plus hrs and email all day with battery to spare at the end of a shift. Then my coworkers are all like ... LoL!
    LOL. Keep at 'em!
    02-16-10 04:03 PM
    Blackberry has only really been in the mobile phone business for less than a decade if you consider that the majority of their business was for business pros using pagers for most of their early years. It wasn't that long ago that Moto and Nokia dominated...when phones were just phones...a few pages back someone compared Apple being so impressive in what they have accomplished in such a short period of time and diminished what RIM has done in a much longer period...I don't think its a good comp considering that RIM is still fairly young compared to some of the others when it comes to the products they make and the markets they are competing in. I too used a lot of Moto and Nokia and I don't think I could go with an iphone...ever...unless they actually started making a device with a removable power source, physical qwerty, and an OS that could multitask

Agreed with all you said!
    I'm such a tecchie addict that I must play with any device that turns my head. Must admit, the iPhone turned my head. For about three days, then after the WOW factor settled and novelty wore off, I was severely disappointed.
    User replaceable battery, Flash, multitasking are musts for me, regardless what the apologists say.

02-16-10 04:06 PM
    Agreed with all you said!
    I'm such a tecchie addict that I must play with any device that turns my head. Must admit, the iPhone turned my head. For about three days, then after the WOW factor settled and novelty wore off, I was severely disappointed.
    User replaceable battery, Flash, multitasking are musts for me, regardless what the apologists say.

Two of 3 the BB already has and the other the iPhone it seem will never have.

WE SHOULD BE SCARED!!!!!!!!!! Shouldn't we? LoL

02-16-10 04:10 PM
    I still have a chrome plated Motorola V600. And it still looks like a million bucks. I keep it as a spare. Man is it georgeous.
    I had one of those!
    And the V60i. And the v720i, I think. I was a nut, even then!!!

02-16-10 04:10 PM
    What exactly is that "writing" saying? Lol

All of you that think RIM will disappear for some reason are only lying to yourselves.

The writing on the wall is "wake up RIM you're loosing ground" I love my 9700 and wont part with it for any current phone. I also love my Dodge Challenger. I didn't read all of the posts in this thread so it may have been said but Motorola didn't read the writing on the wall...
    02-16-10 04:14 PM
    Neither did Palm and look what webOS did for them? And the Droid? That helped Motorola out a little I'd say.

The argument can be made for either view but let's not assume one is more likely to happen over the other.

That is just "sillyness".

02-16-10 04:23 PM
    Also worth noting, for all of those that want to put the iphone on such a pedestal for their rapid success, that they had years to develop a customer base with the ipod and almost certainly conceded 24 million would-be ipod owners with the iphone. Their device and success didn't quite come out of nowhere and explode overnight. One could reasonably argue that RIM and Apple, while their early offerings came from different places, that they have both been competing for the same $$$ for relatively equal time and RIM is currently kicking their behinds! Qbnkelt...I miss my StarTac too!

02-16-10 07:01 PM
    Viva le' blackberry!
    02-16-10 07:06 PM
    Also worth noting, for all of those that want to put the iphone on such a pedestal for their rapid success, that they had years to develop a customer base with the ipod and almost certainly conceded 24 million would-be ipod owners with the iphone. Their device and success didn't quite come out of nowhere and explode overnight. One could reasonably argue that RIM and Apple, while their early offerings came from different places, that they have both been competing for the same $$$ for relatively equal time and RIM is currently kicking their behinds! Qbnkelt...I miss my StarTac too!

Awesome post enjoyed reading it.

Now I don't understand one thing about your post, and that's where you say you can say they have relatively been competing for the same amount of time. How can you confidently say that? Now yes Apple didn't come out of no where they already had a decent following in account of the iPod. But you still can't say that hey because of the iPod that also equals them to smartphones so now RIM is beating them, how does that even make since it's not logical, an MP3 player and a Smartphone are not at all in the same market.
    02-16-10 07:20 PM
    IMO: The iphooey' is a tOy!
    02-16-10 07:22 PM
    IMO: The iphooey' is a tOy!
    can you justify your statement with some solid evidence, or are you just here to make meaningless statements.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 02-16-10 at 09:31 PM.
    02-16-10 07:28 PM
    der...i seen one in a megerzine 1'c

Do your own homework man!
    02-16-10 07:30 PM
    Awesome post enjoyed reading it.

Now I don't understand one thing about your post, and that's where you say you can say they have relatively been competing for the same amount of time. How can you confidently say that? Now yes Apple didn't come out of no where they already had a decent following in account of the iPod. But you still can't say that hey because of the iPod that also equals them to smartphones so now RIM is beating them, how does that even make since it's not logical, an MP3 player and a Smartphone are not at all in the same market.
    The iphone is a smartphone? I think the last couple years have shown us that the lines between GPS devices, MP3 players, personal gaming devices, portable cameras and cellphones has been hard to read and companies are crossing them at will. Apple didn't just introduce a phone. They threw a radio on an ipod. They developed an established product and did so successfully. I don't fault them for it at all but I think its necessary to consider when some people want to claim that they have revolutionized an entire industry in two years. RIM evolved a very different product into what you see today as well.

02-16-10 07:34 PM
    No mass movement? Wow. The iPhone has gone from zero to 24 million users in two years and you don't consider that a mass movement? LOL. I can't believe what I'm reading here.

RIM is 15 years old and it's taken them that long to build a customer base (which is shrinking as shown by your own chart) of some 40 million users.

Apple has grown to 1/2 RIM's size in two years. And that's not a mass movement? Wow. Breathtaking. Just breathtaking. Please tell us you don't do analytic or forecasting work in the technology field.
    My post was in response to LSCUP asking for data showing that BB was losing ground and Qbnkelt suggesting that there was no recent "mass movement". the data confirms that there was no mass movement from Q3 '09 to Q4 '09. i make no mention of how apple has grown since the introduction of the iphone.

maybe you should try reading things in context, rather than using quotes to frame your position.

in any event, berryrite, you are one interesting character. your inconsistent rants makes this thread interesting. feel free to frame this anyway you like, so we can all be entertained.

... and there is no way i'm telling you where i work. it's much more fun to watch you try and guess
    02-16-10 08:03 PM
    "mass majority". Funny. The curve is still the best selling smartphone, add in the other blackberry variants and we see where the mass majority really are. That won't change any time soon.

02-16-10 08:36 PM
    der...i seen one in a megerzine 1'c

Do your own homework man!
    Asheville North Carolina explains it all
    02-16-10 09:12 PM
    Interesting topic here. My 2 cents are that RIM definitely does need to innovate some. However, they cannot alienate their core user base who could easily be turned off by too much change. RIM owns the corporate world and they know it. If I could use a an android phone at work, I would. I do not see that day coming anytime soon though.

My largest complaint about RIM is the browser and it seems like they are working on that. I also think they need to come out with more large screen devices. When you look at the iphone, droid and nexus one it is quite clear what direction smartphones are taking in terms of screen size.

Anyway, most of you are missing the mark on this one...RIM may seem boring or outdated to you but its core customer base likes the familiarity of the blackberry experience.

02-16-10 09:23 PM
    My post was in response to LSCUP asking for data showing that BB was losing ground and Qbnkelt suggesting that there was no recent "mass movement". the data confirms that there was no mass movement from Q3 '09 to Q4 '09. i make no mention of how apple has grown since the introduction of the iphone.

maybe you should try reading things in context, rather than using quotes to frame your position.

in any event, berryrite, you are one interesting character. your inconsistent rants makes this thread interesting. feel free to frame this anyway you like, so we can all be entertained.

... and there is no way i'm telling you where i work. it's much more fun to watch you try and guess
    "TROLLING" needs to STOP! if i were you just check my signature, some people on this site use the method of taking out bits a pieces of post to make someone look bad and get a good argument going. try and refrain from responding although i know its hard.
    Last edited by CrackberryBrandon; 02-16-10 at 09:45 PM.
    02-16-10 09:25 PM
    ^^^ +1... i like your signature ^^^
    02-16-10 09:45 PM
251 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD