Let's see what the new iPhone brings
    Not really a fan. If I were to move from BlackBerry, it would be to go to Google.

I'm watching the Nexus very closely.
    02-16-10 01:12 PM
    Coming from a Pre -> BlackBerry, it felt kind of like a step backwards. The first few days the BlackBerry OS confused the **** out of me. But once I figured it out its not so bad. I think it could use an update, but we'll see what the boys in Waterloo do.

On the OS...my Mum, an older woman who still speaks English with an insane Cuban accent even after a lifetime in Ireland, figured out the OS without even reading the manual. Frankly, I think that if she'd read the manual she would have been hopelessly confused.

I never read the manual when I got my first Berry, which was work issued....

My hubby never read the manual...

My sis never read the manual...

I had noooo problems with the OS.....
    02-16-10 01:14 PM
    Not really a fan. If I were to move from BlackBerry, it would be to go to Google.

Really? The Nexus? What do you like about it? This is not an argument, just a request for info....I'm a geek, remember?
    02-16-10 01:16 PM

LOL the N1?!
    You can have mine, its glitchy/buggy
    as all he!!, but it does have a gorgeous
    screen full of color. Plus "Update 1" did
    nothing to help so now HTC thinks its a
    hardware issue, last I heard...
    02-16-10 01:23 PM
    Out of curiosity, did your dad work in corporate marketing for General Motors back in the 70s when nobody cared about a company named Toyota?
    No, but I have bought a bunch of cars, trucks, and a couple of Harley Davidsons, and none of them were made in Japan. I buy stuff that works, stuff that lasts the test of time. I really don't care about gas mileage or cars with bicycle tires or tiny little wheezing 4-banger engines that rev to 8 grand before they can pull out of a driveway. If you stand for anything, none of that trendy stuff makes any difference.

Plus, Toyota is a bad example (or maybe a good one, depending on your angle). They're on the verge of being sued out of existence and going bankrupt from foisting unsafe cars on the public and using ex-NHTSA employees to cover it up.
    02-16-10 01:25 PM
    With 83xx curves still selling, there's no way we could be obsolete. Even with complaints about the browser we could never fall far behind. There's always an alternate solution when you have the BB. If facebook mobile sucks, use the mobile website, same with twitter apps, Bolt Opera mini, Visual voice mail...etc. We won't die off. Besides, we cover the planet not one country so, the solution will always reach people.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 01:35 PM
    Plus, Toyota is a bad example (or maybe a good one, depending on your angle). They're on the verge of being sued out of existence and going bankrupt from foisting unsafe cars on the public and using ex-NHTSA employees to cover it up.
    When we were children, General Motors was the biggest car company in the world. Today, Toyota is the biggest car company in the world. The billions they will spend to fix their current problems will not break them ... they've made so much money in the past that they own a bank. Trying to claim that they won't be around in years ahead as the largest car company in the world is just silly.

With respect to bankruptcy, we know GM is bankrupt and a shell of its former self.

Cell phone manufacturers are different companies than car manufacturers. But the consumer marketing principles that govern both industries are similar. If you ignore your customers' needs and cut corners on product development, you lose your business in the long run.

The car industry works in 20 year cycles. The cell phone industry in 2 year cycles.

Keep a sharp eye open.
    02-16-10 01:41 PM
    Really? The Nexus? What do you like about it? This is not an argument, just a request for info....I'm a geek, remember?
    You're not a geek. LOL.

I'm a Google kook though. I love all things Google. They are an amazing company.

I've played with the MyTouch a little. Gotten some feedback from people. I'd like to play with the Nexus but it isn't being sold in stores and you can't play with one in person unless you know someone who has one. I think that's crazy and Google needs to get the Nexus into T-Mobile's stores.

Because I can't play with one, I wouldn't buy one right now. As time goes on and as Google tweeks their device(s), I can see myself gravatating towards their product. But as I said, their current sales distribution scheme doesn't work for me. I need to see the product in the store and be able to play with it in person before I'd ever commit to getting one.
    02-16-10 01:48 PM
    I am very interested in the pre.....
    I went to the BB because when I was due for an upgrade from my winmo q9m, not many options on verizon.....
    Not a big droid fan.
    Take away some of the bells and whistles and a phone still needs to be able to make calls.

I need solid PIM, calendar, tasks, contacts, etc. and a device that can make calls.

I have that with the BB OS.
    02-16-10 01:48 PM
    When we were children, General Motors was the biggest car company in the world. Today, Toyota is the biggest car company in the world.
    I keep trying to tell you, it doesn't matter how big you are. It only matters how good you are. And I know the difference.

Only somebody who doesn't have any backbone and needs to ride memes would try to say something is better because the company is bigger or sells more. That's a fundamentally flawed way to look at the world and it betrays a person's inability to make his own judgements and decide what's best. Because he can't do that, he has to rely on what the unwashed masses do for his guidance.
    Last edited by F0nage; 02-16-10 at 02:02 PM.
    02-16-10 01:59 PM
    No matter what without BBM I'm useless in life.
    02-16-10 02:00 PM
    While we were having this discussion, did anyone access this? I can't, I'm at work.

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-webkit-browser
    02-16-10 02:06 PM
    I keep trying to tell you, it doesn't matter how big you are. It only matters how good you are. And I know the difference.

Only somebody who doesn't have any backbone and needs to ride memes would try to say something is better because the company is bigger or sells more. That's a fundamentally flawed way to look at the world and it betrays a person's inability to make his own judgements and decide what's best. Because he can't do that, he has to rely on what the unwashed masses do for his guidance.
    agree 100%!!!!!!!
    02-16-10 02:09 PM
    I keep trying to tell you, it doesn't matter how big you are. It only matters how good you are.
    +1
    Def true...
    02-16-10 02:12 PM
    Hadn't really thought about Nexus.

I keep waiting for someone to bring me a grotesquely large display like I had on my Siemens SX 66...I loved that ridiculously huge thing. Or my AudioVox Pocket PC. I will keep my extra line, just waiting for that....

But I love my 9700. Still love it, have since November.

Berryite, I'm a geek - trust me. How many people do you know that would put the crackberry link of a bunch of borrowed berries in the middle of a huge disaster?!?! me - the geek of all geeks....
    02-16-10 02:15 PM
    Show up at RIM's next shareholder meeting and stand up in front of the entire assembled audience and yell that line at the top of your lungs and see how fast you get boo'd out of the room.

I don't care how big you are. I don't care how good you *think* you are. I personally only care how good of a job your product does to meet my needs.

But one thing I'll assure you of after having worked in corporate life, shrinking companies who are losing marketshare and cutting corners on product development are generally not happy places to be in the corporate world.
    02-16-10 02:27 PM
    Hadn't really thought about Nexus
    Let's watch this together and see where it goes. I'm not ready to jump ship from the 9700 today. But it never hurts to keep your eyes open and look ahead. I'm guessing my next device will not be a BlackBerry. Jury is still out. But if I were a betting man ... the Nexus ... well ...
    02-16-10 02:30 PM
    I'm open to a complementary device, but I won't baby it the way the iPhone needs to be babied. I was a huge Motorola and Nokia fan before coming to RIM.
    02-16-10 02:35 PM
    I'm open to a complementary device, but I won't baby it the way the iPhone needs to be babied. I was a huge Motorola and Nokia fan before coming to RIM.
    I miss my startac
    02-16-10 02:58 PM
    ===== QUOTE berryite ====

Out of curiosity, did your dad work in corporate marketing for General Motors back in the 70s when nobody cared about a company named Toyota?

===== /QUOTE ====

No, but I have bought a bunch of cars, trucks, and a couple of Harley Davidsons, and none of them were made in Japan. I buy stuff that works, stuff that lasts the test of time. I really don't care about gas mileage or cars with bicycle tires or tiny little wheezing 4-banger engines that rev to 8 grand before they can pull out of a driveway. If you stand for anything, none of that trendy stuff makes any difference.

That example really doesn't work. My Honda was made in Ohio.

My previous car was a Ford made in Mexico.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    02-16-10 03:05 PM
    Blackberry has only really been in the mobile phone business for less than a decade if you consider that the majority of their business was for business pros using pagers for most of their early years. It wasn't that long ago that Moto and Nokia dominated...when phones were just phones...a few pages back someone compared Apple being so impressive in what they have accomplished in such a short period of time and diminished what RIM has done in a much longer period...I don't think its a good comp considering that RIM is still fairly young compared to some of the others when it comes to the products they make and the markets they are competing in. I too used a lot of Moto and Nokia and I don't think I could go with an iphone...ever...unless they actually started making a device with a removable power source, physical qwerty, and an OS that could multitask

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 03:11 PM

If anything I have seen Blackberry becoming more prevalent in the personal use phone world.
    I have to agree. My family, almost entirely, have blackberry's. Only 2 have iphones and they complain about battery life always.

I have friends who have blackberry's who don't even need it. It's just becoming the norm to have one now when before it was a 'business only' phone. People used to ask me why I had one even though I used it for my small business. And now many of those people have one just for bb messenger and emails. Funny how things change.
    02-16-10 03:18 PM
    My family, almost entirely, have blackberry's.
    While your family is imporant, they are not relevant.

In two tiny years, Apple's iPhone zoomed to 24 million users and is still growing aggressively. BlackBerry took 15 slow years to get to 40 million users and their user base is falling.

A family full of BlackBerry addicts here and there or a family full of iPhone addicts here are there are completely irrelevant. There are probably full families who use the Palm. It doesn't matter.

What's relevant is that the iPhone is undeniably growing at a trend that if left unchecked will leave the BlackBerry in the dust. And those are statistical facts.
    02-16-10 03:41 PM
    I still have a chrome plated Motorola V600. And it still looks like a million bucks. I keep it as a spare. Man is it georgeous.
    02-16-10 03:44 PM
    I am the lone BB user in my company and have been for about a year now. A guy come up to me yesterday while I was using my 9700. I felt like a "old out of touch" relic when the he said; "You still using that typewriter"? Now I cant stand the iphone and I have every opportunity to use it if I want to but if that's not the writing on the wall I don't know what is.
    02-16-10 03:44 PM
251 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD