Blackberry isn't going anywhere. Are you serious?

Everyone in my country is using a BB now a days. They just released the Bold 9700 nationwide, and all carriers went out of stock within 2 days.

So yeah...
    02-16-10 08:12 AM
    You are being VERY optimistic.

Probably will be my next device. RIM has gotten far too arrogant and it's p*issing many of us off. The horrible dreaded threaded sms in 5.0 is just one example. RIM's code is totally 1/2 a*ss and they have no interest in listening to their customers and writing an OS update to allow people who don't like their code to turn it off. If I have to live with threaded sms, at least make it work and make it visually appealing. RIM does neither.

I am not as optimistic as you. If Google sold the Nexus One in my local T-Mobile store and I could spend some hands-on time really playing with it, I'd guess that I'd already have one and be using it.

RIM needs to be scared. Really scared.

You are really quite the character.
    02-16-10 08:18 AM
    What a ridiculous proposition lol. There are over 6 billion people... not everyone wants an iPhone or android....... or a blackberry.
    02-16-10 08:24 AM

That's his M.O. You get used to it.
    02-16-10 08:56 AM
    Well here it is quite the opposite. More and more people are rocking iphones. Many of my buisness associated people have ditched their BB's for the iphone. I am one of the very few to stick with Blackberry ( in my entourage) . I am in no way a iphone fanboy and plan to stick with BB but getting a little fustrated to be surrounded by so many iphones and being told how much better it is. Now that Telus and Bell offer the iphone, it has been outselling BlackBerry by far ( from what the Telus/Bell people have been telling me ). I love BlackBerry but something completely new with some "wow" factor is more than welcomed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Dont worry about it, i have my youngest brother always harping on about how great the iphone 3GS is compared to the BB 9700 and S2 i have...i just laugh really and say other than 90k useless apps and a better browser...what else is better than the BB...for a start his iphone cant properly multitask...shame he has to close his apps down to use other apps...push email??...laughable as apple havent got a clue on what push email is exactly...even Android does a better job of pushing email ie gmail. Oh then theres the godawful battery life which if you want any sort of decent useage...turn off 3G and push notifications whilst i sit there merrily typing out emails and bbm'ing without having to worry about my battery life. Oh and dropped calls which he seems to suffer alot of mainly due to the fact that O2 are just pure utter crap when it comes to 3G availability.

Dont get me wrong i do think RIM need to step it up, at the moment they are only making small strides which isnt a good thing but having a look on the main page....seems like they did give a glimpse of the new webkit browser in action and it looks pretty darn good.

Im no iphone fan boy nor do i hate them...i just despise Apples marketing..call it clever where they make it sound like video recording is something they thought of...i do like the iphone for what it is...mainly a multimedia whores wet dream to put it nicely. But having an ipod touch, which is an iphone without the phone bit..i cant see why id want to leave a device thats reliable and robust...does everything i want it to and more...for something that wont quite satisfy what i need my device to do for me.
    02-16-10 09:09 AM
    As F0nage said, it's the trolling and absolute fanboyism that gets tiring. I don't hate Apple, nor do I hate the iPhone. I was looking forward to the iPad.
    What I can't stand is when someone tells me that my experiences with the device, which were all documented elsewhere as well, are exaggerations.
    Look, I can handle it if someone admits his/her device of choice has flaws but that those flaws are not important. Gotcha. Respect that. For me, the RIM browser is flawed. I admit that, my ego is not wrapped around RIM. But the Apple-is-perfect-and-Steve-Jobs-is-God-and-neither-can-do-anything-wrong thing is very, very tiresome. To tell me that I must turn off all features to make the device last a day so that I can buy the Bubblewrap app is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Best browser that I have ever seen? Safari. Biggest disappointment in a phone I had been really wanting? iPhone.
    02-16-10 09:26 AM
    Not my experience at all! On the train, at Union Station, downtown, in government offices, at the mall....all I see are Blackberries.

I take the train in, and as another posted noted, once everyone settles down, it's a sea of blackberries. ALL kinds of blackberries, but mainly Tours, 9000s, and 9700s. When you do see an iPhone the person is plugged in and listening to music. Guess some of those must be Touch?
    I think you read my last post wrong i said in DC all i see is Blackberries and when i get into the rural areas i see iphones. I am in agreement with your last statement not against.
    02-16-10 09:26 AM
    QUOTE "berryite" and as Los Angeles goes, so goes the country. Trends always start here and move east

Reading through this whole post i have discovered the most ignorant statement of them all, and something which offers nothing towards the thread.

Now on the the topic i believe by next year this time RIM will still be in business. However i do believe they will lose some more of that marketshare which they seemed to have accomplished continously for the last 4 years.
    02-16-10 09:40 AM
    I think you read my last post wrong i said in DC all i see is Blackberries and when i get into the rural areas i see iphones. I am in agreement with your last statement not against.
    Oh, you're right....sorry, I didn't finish my thought!

I'm pretty rural, and what I meant to say but didn't finish, was that when I get on the train in my area everyone brings out their berries. This is the first station waaaaaay out of DC. Also, at the stores, restaurant, etc I also see mainly blackberries. And I'm saying this about country-country! Extreme NW Northern Virginia!

I see iPhones *a lot* in Manhattan, Miami, L.A., and San Francisco.
    02-16-10 09:44 AM
    You will see iPhones wherever people have more money than sense, and one-upping their neighbors is a national sport.

No farmers or ranchers I know fall into that category. Maybe he meant yuppie, suburban bedroom communities, not "rural areas." I guess for city people that might be hard to distinguish
    02-16-10 09:46 AM

I'm sorry, but I can't pass this up. I read this post a while back and was dismayed at the trolling involved. And now it's especially bad, when quotes from this thread are crossposted to the 8900 forum to complain about 9700 users discussing RIM and by extension the 9700.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/97...60/index8.html
    02-16-10 09:48 AM
    I still stick to my argument a few pages back.

RIM still own the majority of the smartphone market. That will NOT change in a years time. The gap may shorten but RIM will still very much be in demand.

Anyone that thinks otherwise obviously does not have a good grasp on technology and the fact that it's always evolving.

JUST because RIM isn't doing things as quickly as the CB community WANTS, by no means indicates that they're doing NOTHING.

Patience is a virtue for a reason........
    02-16-10 09:55 AM
    I don't buy the market share argument. It tells you very little.

Many inferior products have tremendous market share, because of good marketing. Many superior products have failed in the market place or have low standing. Market share doesn't matter except for your stock price. If you make a good product, you will attract a core following that won't blow in the wind.

I don't agree that constant feature upgrades and UI uberalles are any metric of how good something is. I would much rather have planned, thoughtful evolution in something I use for business than a Tokyo-by-night abomination that can't get out of its own way.

Yes, it would be nice if RIM had a modern browser, but no, I don't really care. I didn't buy it for that. Half the trolling threads seem to be started by people who are too stupid to do any research, and bought a BB just because it was expensive or "elite" when all they really wanted was a shiny brick that could play music and movies. The other half seem to be from iPhone fanboys (loyalists- doesn't that say it all?) who have too much time on their hands.

Get a job, you bums
    02-16-10 10:02 AM
    I don't buy the market share argument. It tells you very little.

Many inferior products have tremendous market share, because of good marketing. Many superior products have failed in the market place or have low standing. Market share doesn't matter except for your stock price. If you make a good product, you will attract a core following that won't blow in the wind.

I don't agree that constant feature upgrades and UI uberalles are any metric of how good something is. I would much rather have planned, thoughtful evolution in something I use for business than a Tokyo-by-night abomination that can't get out of its own way.

Yes, it would be nice if RIM had a modern browser, but no, I don't really care. I didn't buy it for that. Half the trolling threads seem to be started by people who are too stupid to do any research, and bought a BB just because it was expensive or "elite" when all they really wanted was a shiny brick that could play music and movies. The other half seem to be from iPhone fanboys (loyalists- doesn't that say it all?) who have too much time on their hands.

Get a job, you bums
    It may not say much but it certainly disproves anyone who may think RIM won't be around a year from now.
    02-16-10 10:09 AM
    Where is all of this "data" that RIM is in fact losing any ground to competitors at all? Is this just a perception because you see some sexier features on some other devices at the moment? Didn't RIM just recently obliterate the Street estimate for Q4 2009 and sell an obscene amount of handsets? I want to see hard data that RIM is "losing ground" because it just doesn't make sense. It may be the case but I have a feeling that many of these statements are just made out of ignorance.

02-16-10 10:44 AM
    Yup, my point exactly when I read that the "mass majority" of users were moving to the iPhone and Droid.

So far, I've seen no numbers to back up that statement. You know, I've never seen any numbers - none as to the alleged majority of handsets being faulty, none as to this mass migration to other handsets, none as to certain segments of the business or legal sectors choosing other handsets over berries.

I wonder why....
    02-16-10 10:55 AM
    The other side of the equation is channel partners. Handsets are one of the very few "essential" electronic devices that are normally not bought at retail.

If you can establish good channels and create a captive audience, like getting carriers to sell your handsets, you can also sell a lot of product whether it's good or bad.

As to Qbnkelt's question on migration, etc. I think people are making a very big mistake and equating growth of certain market segments (Android) with loss in other sectors. I don't see where this conclusion is warranted. It's a lot more reasonable to assume non-smartphone users are going to new platforms than it is to assume other users, with established handset preferences, are abandoning that platform in favor of something else, in the absence of any unbiased studies.

Of course new platforms have the most growth rate, they started with nothing, so every handset is significant in percentage. Who got a bigger raise percentage-wise, the guy making 250 grand who got a 25 thousand dollar bonus, or the guy making thirty grand who found a new job for 40?
    02-16-10 11:05 AM
    If you look at the recent history of smartphones, there's no reason to say now that "BlackBerry will be obsolete next" year, that wasn't also true in 2004, 2006, or 2008. Yes, RIM needs to innovate and offer improvements, but you can't expect an individual device to go chasing after all the other improvements from iPhone, Android, and 20 other phones. You could really look at it another way and wonder if all those phones aren't really just trying to copy or modify what BlackBerry is doing!

I have a 9700. That device has been, by and large, very popular with its users. The mood on this 9700 thread is extremely positive given the fact that boards like this are populated by tech snobs who complain about things for sport. But I'm pretty sure that every single person who bought a 9700 knew in advance (or figured out very, very quickly) that it (a) didn't have a touch screen; (b) had limited webbrowsing capabilities; (c) wasn't going to offer tens of thousands of "toy" apps right out of the box. Why, then, did they still purchase it?

I think the answer to that question is also the answer to the question of why BlackBerry will still be a major power into the indefinite future. If you talk to business professionals, lawyers, and generally tech-saavy people, a great lot of them aren't rockin' iPhones with jelly green silicone protectors--they're using BlackBerrys and will continue to do so as long as they offer great call quality, email service, and (enough) basic web functioning.
    02-16-10 11:05 AM

no "mass movement", but here is some data showing rim losing ground. interesting to note that android more than doubled market share in one quarter.

here's an article:

http://http://www.dailyfinance.com/s...hare/19353103/
    02-16-10 11:07 AM
    I'm watching the Nexus very closely. It could well be my next phone.
    DIDDO! Only been using BB for lil more than a year and must say.....I'm getting bored very very fast!!! Thought coming from the Pearl and going to the 9700 would keep me busy but NOPE.

02-16-10 11:19 AM
    Well I left the 9700 for an iPhone 3GS but I don't think blackberry will be outdated if they update the 9000 and get that new webkit browser out soon & possibly overhaul the operating system.
    02-16-10 11:22 AM
    Off topic a bit, but I *have* to call you on this...nobody walks in L.A. You take the car. You may see a lot of people on the 101 whipping out iPhones, but nobody walks in L.A.!
    Love ya dearly, but you are wrong and owe me an apology.

I live 5 blocks from my office. It's a relaxing 10 minute walk. All around where I live are bistros and restaurants and shopping. I haven't driven a car for anything personal in over 6 weeks and that was to go out of town for a couple of days to visit friends at a resort outside of LA.

Yes, there are those who walk in LA despite what the song says. I have the scars to prove it ... I've almost been hit in crosswalks 4 times in the last 3 months by text messaging drivers.

I also have three other friends whom I know who do not own cars and who also walk to work everyday.

People do walk in LA.
    02-16-10 11:24 AM
    Yeah webkit would be nice. Finally! And for those comparing RIM spot etc. Don't be blind......how new is Droid??? What will next year be like?

02-16-10 11:24 AM

The 9700 is an excellent piece of hardware. RIM's OS is aging software and the new 5.0 is a disappointment.

02-16-10 11:32 AM
    Love ya dearly, but you are wrong and owe me an apology.

I live 5 blocks from my office. It's a relaxing 10 minute walk. All around where I live are bistros and restaurants and shopping. I haven't driven a car for anything personal in over 6 weeks and that was to go out of town for a couple of days to visit friends at a resort outside of LA.

Yes, there are those who walk in LA despite what the song says. I have the scars to prove it ... I've almost been hit in crosswalks 4 times in the last 3 months by text messaging drivers.

I also have three other friends whom I know who do not own cars and who also walk to work everyday.

People do walk in LA.
    Hee, hee...I lived in Brentwood and drove to UCLA - could have biked it, but noooooooo, that just wasn't doable.... When we lost the parking privileges at the Veterans building right off San Vicente I just about died. So I started parking in Westwood, and some of us did walk from Westwood to campus.

I know that a lot of people in Santa Monica walk a lot, and in some areas of the Valley.
    02-16-10 11:39 AM
251 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD