it's statements like these that make me happy i don't live in LA
    As a Bay Area native (born, raised and degreed there), statements like this remind me of why I left San Francisco.

(Is it just me or are manners, civility and class completely going out of style in this forum?)
    02-16-10 02:09 AM
    how can i post my avatar and my pin number? so i can befriend anyone please help
    02-16-10 02:12 AM
    how can i post my avatar and my pin number? so i can befriend anyone please help
    Welcome to the forum but your questions are off topic for this thread. Please use the search feature to find answers to common questions or start a new thread with your questions. Posting newbie questions in a thread is not how the forum is designed to work.
    02-16-10 02:22 AM
    Well, here in England, i still see BlackBerries more than i thought I would. My Aunt had one, which is the main reason why i got mine (she has the old bold). I also have a cousin who has one, and around 4-5 friends have one as well.
    Out of curiosity, who is the approved carrier for the iPhone in England? Here in the USA, AT&T is the only sanctioned carrier for Apple. Is that how things are set up in England? One dedicated carrier?
    02-16-10 02:24 AM
    A year ago I would have agreed. Today when I walk the streets of Los Angeles, I don't see BlackBerrys. I see iPhones. Lots and lots of iPhones.

Off topic a bit, but I *have* to call you on this...nobody walks in L.A. You take the car. You may see a lot of people on the 101 whipping out iPhones, but nobody walks in L.A.!
    02-16-10 03:29 AM
    Not so sure about the whole trend statement i thought it went from new york and moved west, but who really knows. as for the iPhone talk here in DC were actually outnumbered, when I'm at work im one of the rare few with an iPhone the weirdo so to say. But once i get home into the rural areas between DC and Baltimore the mood totally changes and iPhones are everywhere.
    Not my experience at all! On the train, at Union Station, downtown, in government offices, at the mall....all I see are Blackberries.

I take the train in, and as another posted noted, once everyone settles down, it's a sea of blackberries. ALL kinds of blackberries, but mainly Tours, 9000s, and 9700s. When you do see an iPhone the person is plugged in and listening to music. Guess some of those must be Touch?
    02-16-10 03:34 AM
    Out of curiosity, who is the approved carrier for the iPhone in England? Here in the USA, AT&T is the only sanctioned carrier for Apple. Is that how things are set up in England? One dedicated carrier?
    O2 and Vodafone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-16-10 03:41 AM
    O2 and Vodafone

And Orange at least. They all can as o2 no longer have exclusivity.
    02-16-10 03:49 AM
    Off topic a bit, but I *have* to call you on this...nobody walks in L.A. You take the car. You may see a lot of people on the 101 whipping out iPhones, but nobody walks in L.A.!
    That reminds me:

Missing Persons - Walking In L A LYRICS

P.S. What are you doing up so late/early?
    02-16-10 04:18 AM
    That's only the case in the US afaik. It's because AT&T had exclusivity with the original iPhone, which carried over into the 3G and now the 3GS. Elsewhere, there is no exclusivity agreements. In Canada, for example, all 3 of the HSPA carriers have the iPhone 3G(S).
    02-16-10 04:24 AM
    I also just wanted to quickly add something to this statement. I see a lot of people that constantly default to the excuse that BB is THE business phone to have. I just do not agree with that. You all sound like a bunch of fan boys if you ask me, kinda like the old school mac guys. What do you consider about it to be so good for business? The email just isn't that great. I used my iPhone with all the same emails I carry on my BB and the iPhone was quicker to receive/send emails. The iPhone was also better and reading/editing my business related documents. The BB isn't bad, it's just not that great, and I really don't see how exactly this thing is THE business phone. Could someone elaborate?
    I didn't see anyone answer this, so I'll jump in.

I work for UPS, and I can tell you that for our sales force, our tech support, and our upper management, the BlackBerry is the only SmartPhone option. And the single biggest reason is the security and control that UPS maintains over the devices. If I install software on my Berry, they know about it. They have decided that berries will lock after 30 minutes of inactivity, and I can't change that. And as we all know, if someone doesn't know my device password, it wipes the device. For those of us that have to browse, UPS made some basic web pages, not because the regular ones won't work, but to make browsing faster and easier.

Until Apple / Google gives companies the kind of remote administration that RIM has, they will not be an option.
    02-16-10 04:25 AM
    That reminds me:

Missing Persons - Walking In L A LYRICS

P.S. What are you doing up so late/early?
    Aaaaawwww....Missing Persons!!! The 80s!!!!! YAY!!!!

I'm up early because I lead a double life - quasi rancher and upper middle management. I own eventing horses and also livestock, so I take care of things in the barn, let out livestock and run dogs before getting ready for work.

I'm on the train now.
    02-16-10 06:10 AM
    I think Einstein needs to go back and recalculate how much energy there is in the universe
    02-16-10 06:15 AM
    I didn't see anyone answer this, so I'll jump in.

I work for UPS, and I can tell you that for our sales force, our tech support, and our upper management, the BlackBerry is the only SmartPhone option. And the single biggest reason is the security and control that UPS maintains over the devices. If I install software on my Berry, they know about it. They have decided that berries will lock after 30 minutes of inactivity, and I can't change that. And as we all know, if someone doesn't know my device password, it wipes the device. For those of us that have to browse, UPS made some basic web pages, not because the regular ones won't work, but to make browsing faster and easier.

Until Apple / Google gives companies the kind of remote administration that RIM has, they will not be an option.
    absolutely correct. Same for all branches of government and financial sector.

Given the tone of the question you answered, nothing we can say will suffice.
    Been around here long enough to recognize such things!
    02-16-10 06:17 AM
    I think Einstein needs to go back and recalculate how much energy there is in the universe
    There is a direct relationship between dimishing levels of energy and loss of daylight hours...
    02-16-10 06:33 AM
    absolutely correct. Same for all branches of government and financial sector.

Given the tone of the question you answered, nothing we can say will suffice.
    Been around here long enough to recognize such things!
    I know. But it's the same on forums everywhere. We don't just have uninformed people here.

*cough* insert_names_here *cough*

*EDIT* My response was not directed at the person whos post I answered. He wasn't super-friendly, but certainly not rude, and was asking for information from the other side.
    Last edited by JustPlainJef; 02-16-10 at 06:52 AM.
    02-16-10 06:49 AM
    LOL!!! Sometimes the obvious is so....obvious....that you wonder whether an attempt to question it is a joke or rhetoric.
    It becomes an interesting exercise telling them apart.
    02-16-10 06:57 AM
    That it does. It's also sad when common sense and, even worse, things that we have no control over, are blacked out by fanboys and nay-sayers.
    02-16-10 07:02 AM
    The main problem is allowing iPhone owners and fanboys on a BlackBerry forum.

Aren't there enough iBone forums?

Crack BERRY, people! Berry!
    02-16-10 07:09 AM
    You are being VERY optimistic.

Probably will be my next device. RIM has gotten far too arrogant and it's p*issing many of us off. The horrible dreaded threaded sms in 5.0 is just one example. RIM's code is totally 1/2 a*ss and they have no interest in listening to their customers and writing an OS update to allow people who don't like their code to turn it off. If I have to live with threaded sms, at least make it work and make it visually appealing. RIM does neither.

I am not as optimistic as you. If Google sold the Nexus One in my local T-Mobile store and I could spend some hands-on time really playing with it, I'd guess that I'd already have one and be using it.

RIM needs to be scared. Really scared.
    Ermm no RIM wont be obsolete by this time next yr but depends on what you mean by obsolete...if you mean will they go under??..nope not a chance in ****...if you mean will they get left behind whilst other phone brands get further ahead??...dont know and dont care to be quite honest...i dont want a toy ie iphone...even the nexus, which ive played with completely utterly bored me to death..had one for a week then sold it..imported it from the USA as its not available here in the UK.

Whereas BB??..sure its not as fancy as the Nexus or iphone and doesnt have a hundred million useless apps but for some odd reason i dont get bored of it and trust me i get bored of phones pretty easily....i cant see myself ever getting rid of my BB...saying that im pretty interested in what the new iphone brings to the table...id love to get the iphone but until they START listening to their consumers and not being so close minded with their OS then ill think about getting one.

RIM doesnt need to be scared at all...they are doing a fine job of holding their own...in fact here in the UK i see more and more teens rocking BB's rather than the iphone or Android phones...wonder why that is??.
    02-16-10 07:11 AM
    My opinion in a nutshell:
    consumer market: yes
    business segment: no
    that easy :P

I'm thinking about getting a blackberry but they dont offer stuff that I value yet (good browsing, more apps). I havent found a suitable phone yet so I'm just waiting for BB to get a move on ^^
    02-16-10 07:20 AM
    Ermm no RIM wont be obsolete by this time next yr but depends on what you mean by obsolete...if you mean will they go under??..nope not a chance in ****...if you mean will they get left behind whilst other phone brands get further ahead??...dont know and dont care to be quite honest...i dont want a toy ie iphone...even the nexus, which ive played with completely utterly bored me to death..had one for a week then sold it..imported it from the USA as its not available here in the UK.

Whereas BB??..sure its not as fancy as the Nexus or iphone and doesnt have a hundred million useless apps but for some odd reason i dont get bored of it and trust me i get bored of phones pretty easily....i cant see myself ever getting rid of my BB...saying that im pretty interested in what the new iphone brings to the table...id love to get the iphone but until they START listening to their consumers and not being so close minded with their OS then ill think about getting one.

RIM doesnt need to be scared at all...they are doing a fine job of holding their own...in fact here in the UK i see more and more teens rocking BB's rather than the iphone or Android phones...wonder why that is??.
    Well here it is quite the opposite. More and more people are rocking iphones. Many of my buisness associated people have ditched their BB's for the iphone. I am one of the very few to stick with Blackberry ( in my entourage) . I am in no way a iphone fanboy and plan to stick with BB but getting a little fustrated to be surrounded by so many iphones and being told how much better it is. Now that Telus and Bell offer the iphone, it has been outselling BlackBerry by far ( from what the Telus/Bell people have been telling me ). I love BlackBerry but something completely new with some "wow" factor is more than welcomed.

02-16-10 07:24 AM
    The main problem is allowing iPhone owners and fanboys on a BlackBerry forum.

Aren't there enough iBone forums?

Crack BERRY, people! Berry!
    I think a healthy debate and good exchange of ideas are healthy. However, not when you are accused of exaggerating when you list the problems you have encountered with a device, and then people claim you even lied about owning said device.
    02-16-10 07:29 AM
    I guess a lot of people have the need for all these apps etc. All I want and need is a phone that works well as a phone and the ability to tether that's it.

If I'm going to surf the web I'm not going to do it on a tiny screen I have better options for that. It's nice though to be able to do some searching etc.

As far as RIM........... I don't have a clue and could care less about the others as long as I can still have a phone and the ability to tether.
    02-16-10 07:44 AM
    I think a healthy debate and good exchange of ideas are healthy. However, not when you are accused of exaggerating when you list the problems you have encountered with a device, and then people claim you even lied about owning said device.
    There's a limit, though. I'm utterly disinterested in iAnything and I suspect a lot of BB enthusiasts feel the same way. There are plenty of Apple forums for those kinds of posts.

On topic debate and good exchange of ideas? Definitely.

Trolling about RIM dying or iPhone taking over the world? Definitely off-topic I would think.
    02-16-10 08:00 AM
251 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD