great thread. i love rim, and hope they add a better browser, and youtube app very soon.

Here is some food for thought.
    Smartphone Share — Google Grows While RIM Slows, Palm Reverses – jkOnTheRun
    02-15-10 08:12 PM
    Wasn't the storm suppose to compete with the iphone? My qpinion is BB can only try and keep their heads above water.
    Don't get me wrong I love my 9700 but I still use my iPhone for internet and media
    An area BB falls short..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 08:12 PM
    It's eye-opening to commute by train to NYC every day -- you'll see the vast majority of passengers whip out their Blackberry's as soon as they're seated. It's really pretty amazing -- almost worthy of a TV ad. Almost *everyone* on their way to work is using a Blackberry. It will be a long time before corporate Blackberry customers will consider another platform. The trust, features and security are proven, and CIO's take issues like those very seriously.

No doubt that Android is coming up fast, and Google intends to play hard to compete. I hope they do well -- competition benefits all of us, and will push RIM to be less complacent.

The consumer market is far more likely to see enormous and rapid changes in loyalty. Witness the iPhone market, and how a single device like that can make a fortune for both Apple and AT&T. At one time, the RAZR was responsible for something like 50% of Motorola's entire annual revenue. It's entirely conceivable that Android will pose very stiff competition to other smartphone platforms in the consumer market over the next year -- a lot depends, of course, on hardware, carrier, price point and the entire pricing scheme (as in Google's bizarre pricing practices re: Nexus 1).

RIM's challenge is to penetrate the consumer market more deeply while staying true to those attributes that are important to the CIO's and CTO's of the world -- the people that decide the million dollar corporate contracts for RIM, where RIM holds the lion's share of the market.
    02-15-10 08:21 PM
    they just need a better browswer n flash of course
    02-15-10 08:49 PM
    It's eye-opening to commute by train to NYC every day -- you'll see the vast majority of passengers whip out their Blackberry's as soon as they're seated. It's really pretty amazing -- almost worthy of a TV ad. Almost *everyone* on their way to work is using a Blackberry. It will be a long time before corporate Blackberry customers will consider another platform. The trust, features and security are proven, and CIO's take issues like those very seriously.

No doubt that Android is coming up fast, and Google intends to play hard to compete. I hope they do well -- competition benefits all of us, and will push RIM to be less complacent.

The consumer market is far more likely to see enormous and rapid changes in loyalty. Witness the iPhone market, and how a single device like that can make a fortune for both Apple and AT&T. At one time, the RAZR was responsible for something like 50% of Motorola's entire annual revenue. It's entirely conceivable that Android will pose very stiff competition to other smartphone platforms in the consumer market over the next year -- a lot depends, of course, on hardware, carrier, price point and the entire pricing scheme (as in Google's bizarre pricing practices re: Nexus 1).

RIM's challenge is to penetrate the consumer market more deeply while staying true to those attributes that are important to the CIO's and CTO's of the world -- the people that decide the million dollar corporate contracts for RIM, where RIM holds the lion's share of the market.

yep, seen this on my nyc commutes many times. but there were also iphone passengers as well on my trips.
    02-15-10 08:50 PM
    So, the people who think RIM is dying a quick death complain about the browser? The browser is (most likely) one of the least utilized and least integral parts of the phone for business users like myself. Phone, email, calendar are the biggies, and the Opera 5 beta browser is excellent.

Most of us use a phone to communicate, not to play around. And it works for that.

I hope OS 6 is great, but the current iteration works. And I would prefer something that works over something that is flashy and buggy. I'll be sticking with RIM for the foreseeable future, thanks.
    02-15-10 09:25 PM
    I'm reading the nexus is a disaster. They came out with some os update to fix some issues but now they think the prob may be hardware, not software.
    Then there's the iphone. Those guys recommend you basically turn every feature off so you can get through the day.
    Get real boys!!

I had the N1, received the well awaited
    "update 1", and it did jacksh!t for it!
    Still glitchy and buggy, fast and nice, but
    glitchy!!

Went back to my 9700, and to all the ppl hating
    on BB, all I gotta say is security security security...
    I don't need mad fancy sh!t on my BB, as long as it's
    protected and works it's all good in my book. Just MHO.
    02-15-10 09:32 PM
    It's funny when people say that RIM will not be around next year.... are you guys really serious?
    First of all anyone that got a blackberry for web browsing is out of there minds. If web browsing is what you need in a phone you my friends have got the wrong device....maybe a little research before you buy?? Just a thought.
    For as long as RIM makes phones that deliver email, great call quality, long battery life and easy to use they will be in business. (The reasons I got a blackberry)
    I would love a better browser but it's not something that would make me complain over my 9700 nor a reason for me to buy a phone.
    The only times I don't have a laptop next to me is when driving or out and about....... And at those time I really don't need the web. Maybe look at a sports score, get directions, quick search on google..... My berry does that perfect. Plus it's great on calls, amazing emailing, bbm, LONG battery life (for a smart phone). I am 100% happy with this device. Everything else is Icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong I would love to see a new OS and a better browser but like I said Icing on the cake. with android coming up fast, I'm sure RIM knows this and will make something happen.... It's the #1 selling phone in north america (I think) or near the top anyways they will not sit back. The did sit back for this long but the had no one to push them..... What the Iphone?? Completely different market targeting. But now that apple and google are focusing on emails, calendars, sync ect..... RIM WILL step it up. Just my opinion

02-15-10 09:57 PM
    Sorry guys this all just sounds silly to me. My 9700 runs circles around my bro's iphone.

The droid my be good but I don't trust google (Google buzz for instance).

Also, I can tell you my company is never going to let users get their corporate email on an iphone or android (unless some executive whines enough, in which case it would be a one time thing).

I suppose if I would give the iphone or droid a real chance it might appeal to me as a personal phone but really like i'm going to carry around two phones.

I was a little jealous at first that iphone users can for example have their phone listen to a song and find out what it is. Then Shazam came to appworld and I would imagine all of those other neat little features will make their way to BBapp world sooner or later.

If anything I have seen Blackberry becoming more prevalent in the personal use phone world. Just to give you an example at my work in my area I know of at least 10 people that have Blackberries of one flavor or another to the 1 person that has an iphone and the 0 that have droids. Keep in mind these are all phones they have purchased themselves independant of the company.

IMHO Blackberry is always going to have a place in the corporate world, unless Google buys them or something.
    02-15-10 10:28 PM
    Just to give you an example at my work in my area I know of at least 10 people that have Blackberries of one flavor or another to the 1 person that has an iphone and the 0 that have droids.
    A year ago I would have agreed. Today when I walk the streets of Los Angeles, I don't see BlackBerrys. I see iPhones. Lots and lots of iPhones.

In my company, all the senior managers use iPhones now. RIM is definitely losing ground. And the speed it is happening is breathtaking.

I'd still buy a 9700 over an iPhone and I'd never use AT&T if my life depended on it as a carrier. But there is no denying it, from my vantage point, RIM is losing ground. At this pace, they'll be another Palm in a year.
    02-15-10 10:36 PM
    A year ago I would have agreed. Today when I walk the streets of Los Angeles, I don't see BlackBerrys. I see iPhones. Lots and lots of iPhones.

In my company, all the senior managers use iPhones now. RIM is definitely losing ground. And the speed it is happening is breathtaking.

I'd still buy a 9700 over an iPhone and I'd never use AT&T if my life depended on it as a carrier. But there is no denying it, from my vantage point, RIM is losing ground. At this pace, they'll be another Palm in a year.
    Granted I've only been a blackberry user for less than a year but I think what you are seeing is just the result of

1) competition - which is a god thing and
    2) more people getting smart phones. I mean it wasn't all that long ago when you were special to have a "camera phone". I think as more and more people get smart phones we are going to see more of all of the brands.

Bottom line is I think there is enough market to go around.
    02-15-10 10:46 PM
    brother... we've had it out... but speaking truthfully, you would NOT regret the Nexus One...
    I second that!
    02-15-10 10:48 PM
    more people getting smart phones
    The issue isn't that there are less Motorolas. The issue is that there are less BlackBerrys and LOTS more iPhones.

There are 3 people in my company's management team who use BlackBerrys now. All the rest are using iPhones. And the people in senior IT roles are all using iPhones. That would have never been the case a year ago.

I'm telling you, RIM is getting their a*ss kicked in Los Angeles and as Los Angeles goes, so goes the country. Trends always start here and move east.

As I stated earlier, RIM should be scared. Real scared.
    02-15-10 10:59 PM
    I second that!
    Tell us more. What exactly rocks your boat about the Nexus?
    02-15-10 11:05 PM
    The issue isn't that there are less Motorolas. The issue is that there are less BlackBerrys and LOTS more iPhones.

There are 3 people in my company's management team who use BlackBerrys now. All the rest are using iPhones. And the people in senior IT roles are all using iPhones. That would have never been the case a year ago.

I'm telling you, RIM is getting their a*ss kicked in Los Angeles and as Los Angeles goes, so goes the country. Trends always start here and move east.

As I stated earlier, RIM should be scared. Real scared.
    Not so sure about the whole trend statement i thought it went from new york and moved west, but who really knows. as for the iPhone talk here in DC were actually outnumbered, when I'm at work im one of the rare few with an iPhone the weirdo so to say. But once i get home into the rural areas between DC and Baltimore the mood totally changes and iPhones are everywhere.
    02-15-10 11:13 PM
    I spent a year and 1/2 trying to get my G1 android to act somewhat like my BB 8800 in functionality.

The calendar and alerts were a PIA the address book would not list names properly, ie alphabetical-last name first. (I just spent 3 hours fixing that mess) lock ups were common, A ton of amateurish apps to filter through.

Dont get me wrong the android has some nice features and they do cool things (google maps, trackmaster , dynolicious and a host of some really fantastic apps) but I though they didnt do that great a job at what their base function was to be a phone/PDA. They make a better toy than actual useful appliance.

Thats why I just dropped my G1 for a 9700. I am keeping the G1 for other things just not a phone.
    02-15-10 11:34 PM
    Reallyl? Obsolete means something different than what you're thinking. The BlackBerry os is great! It has a kick *** calendar, messaging is top notch, screens are high res for their size, and battery life.... Don't even get me started. Although not eye catching and NEW.... It's still one of the best OSes due to it's functionality. It keeps me completely connected it's far from obsolete.

It is already outdated and obsolete.

02-15-10 11:34 PM
    I'd prefer to stick with RIM but RIM has stopped being innovative at least as far as their OS development is concerned.
    Also i noticed yout tone changed in this post from something you just posted on another thread the other day when you said and i quote

"While I think RIM needs to up their game in their software (OS) department, only a fool would argue that the 9700 isn't a revolutionary device" http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/97...60/index7.html

Can you explain this to me when you say the 9700 is revolutionary in your other post but downgrade the OS in this more recent one. what exactly is revolutionary about it then is it the build or what.
    02-15-10 11:35 PM
    Keep in mind that most of the rest of the world still use blackberries.
    RIMs worldwide market share is pathetic. This statement is without merit.
    02-15-10 11:50 PM
    I live in san francisco and work in the silicon valley. basically, everyone around me has a smartphone. 1-2 yrs ago, evryone had either a blackberry or an iphone. more recently, i've noticed that more and more people are trading in their iphones for an android device. based on what i see, BOTH rim and APPLE are losing ground.

it's statements like these that make me happy i don't live in LA
    02-15-10 11:59 PM
    I do not think blackberry will be outdated. Many of you fail to realize the market that blackberry reaches out to. Ok one you have the corporate and business people which i believe are Rims biggest winners bc I dont think they are going to switch over to android or iphone anytime soon. May i also remind you the government. The government are big time bb users. Ok now for RIMS downside. Many of the people who are switching from bb to android or iphone are more multimedia type people and this is what i believe rim must improve on and of course the browser. The oses i believe are good and can only get better. Rim is slow about getting things done but id rather something come slow and then be great then be pushed out and have a bunch of bugs and then that will be another complaint amongst people. I believe that rim has lost alot of consumers but it is more in the teenage areas bc of course teenagers are going to want a more multimedia device. I see more and more young people with an android or iphone then a bb. One other thing i think that sets bb apart. They dont limit themselves to one carrier. The iphone and android have limited themselves to just one carrier. Now i think if they open up soon oooo ya rim must watch out but i think they will remain at the top bc its hard to knock the giant off his pedestal
    02-16-10 01:44 AM
    Can you explain this to me when you say the 9700 is revolutionary in your other post but downgrade the OS in this more recent one. what exactly is revolutionary about it then is it the build or what.
    I'm really not impressed with your games so I'd appreciate it if you just ignored me and my posts in the future.

Your language is filthy (just last night you were calling me a string of four letter words and suggesting that I was gay and a "fruitcake"). One of the mods had to delete your post. Had I been a mod, I would have taken much stronger actions.

I am not interested in your continual flaming and belittling. It's clear you are here to pick fights and I'm not interested in being your "play mate."

Now to your distortion here. Nothing I said is in conflict. I do believe the 9700 is a terrific piece of HARDWARE. On the other hand, RIM's 5.0 OS is lacking and needs a LOT of work. There is a difference between HARDWARE and SOFTWARE.

Now please move on. I'm really not interested in having any ongoing dialogue with you.
    02-16-10 01:47 AM
    I believe that rim has lost alot of consumers but it is more in the teenage areas bc of course teenagers are going to want a more multimedia device.
    I used to laugh when I went into the local Apple store. All the buyers of iPhones were mostly teenage girls. It seemed that the iPhone's main buying community were girls around 15.

It's not so funny these days. I see less and less BlackBerrys every day. Verizon and T-Mobile are the strongest carriers in the Southland and if Apple had agreements with Verizon and T-Mobile, I think the BlackBerry might be an endangered species in SoCal.
    02-16-10 01:55 AM
    hi guys i need a help over here my friends are not using blackberry but id like to use "pinning message" how can i do that? please help! thanks!
    02-16-10 01:59 AM
    I used to laugh when I went into the local Apple store. All the buyers of iPhones were mostly teenage girls. It seemed that the iPhone's main buying community were girls around 15.

It's not so funny these days. I see less and less BlackBerrys every day. Verizon and T-Mobile are the strongest carriers in the Southland and if Apple had agreements with Verizon and T-Mobile, I think the BlackBerry might be an endangered species in SoCal.
    Well, here in England, i still see BlackBerries more than i thought I would. My Aunt had one, which is the main reason why i got mine (she has the old bold). I also have a cousin who has one, and around 4-5 friends have one as well.
    02-16-10 02:04 AM
251 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD