People like us, on this forum, are pretty much fanatics on everything Blackberry wouldnt you say?

For every one of us, I suspect there are a thousand others using RIM devices that couldnt care less about the latest OS, app, or whatever. These people dont want "toys" like an iPhone and if they hear the word "android" they associate it with something in a science fiction movie...

Take a few of my boss's for example. Early 50's, 500k annual income, and clueless about mobile phones, EXCEPT Berries. They know its the "email" phone and most of thier peers have one, so they buy (or more properly tell our Operations Manager to buy a few) and get me to set them up, then they fall in love with the things.

Whats even more startling are the young kids I am now seeing with Berries. I have 3 teenagers and 2 of them have Berries, the third has an Iphone3gs or something, but I would say half the kids that come over (14-19 years old) to my house have Berries with the other 50% split between dumb phones and Apple.

So "outdated" is in the eye of the beholder I suppose, but I suspect the VAST majority of Berry users dont give a rats ___ about "outdated".
    02-15-10 07:40 AM
    R.I.M. needs to overhaul their OS its quite outdated I know many people prefer the easy use and all but what about the mass majority going to android and iPhone? rim needs to know that tey will be overtaken by phones that are now providing many buisness solutions at better speeds and better quality...the 9700 can definantly stand on its own but by no means even comes close to the Nexus one or iPhone in terms of apps or development on the device....just look at headlines like "RIM finally decides to make a twitter app"? really what took so long?
    If think a blackberry is so "outdated" and the Iphone is so great, why are you here on these forums?
    02-15-10 08:35 AM
    WinMo 7 just unveiled... pretty sick actually... RIM now just dropped one notch lower... they better have something REALLY good up their sleeve... because they just because one tick more irrelevant in the consumer market...

Live from Microsoft's Windows Phone press event at MWC 2010 -- Engadget
    02-15-10 08:36 AM
    I find it funny how ppl turning hardcore N1 all of a
    sudden, but yet I just sold it off last night without regret cause
    it was buggy as sh!t. I love Android about as much
    as I do BB. They need to fix it up a bit more before
    it comes to ATT and VZ mid year, then maybe I'll
    purchase another one again.

Just made my 9700 prove itself to be
    much more reliable at the current time.
    Can't deal with the Google only stuff
    especially when I have other important
    email accounts that cant be pushed to
    the N1...
    Last edited by Macneil_S4; 02-15-10 at 08:50 AM.
    02-15-10 08:47 AM
    Will the iPhone have a user replaceable battery, a browser that supports flash, or native multitasking by this time next year?
    02-15-10 09:08 AM
    Will the iPhone have a user replaceable battery, a browser that supports flash, or native multitasking by this time next year?
    According to what I've read on the iPhone forums, a user replaceable battery is deemed unimportant to some iPhone users. Flash won't be included because HTML 5 is in the works. Native multitasking seems a possibility.

Understanding that this information comes directly from iPhone enthusiasts and that it's all conjecture, anything is possible.

As you can see what the thread below, the things we RIM users find valuable (multitasking, Flash, user replaceable battery) appear to be completely unimportant to some folks there. What matters most seems to be a never ending supply of apps.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/who...iphone-417696/
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-15-10 at 10:44 AM.
    02-15-10 10:21 AM
    ill be getting a android phone when it becomes available on at&t I wont be ditching my 9700 but ill definitely be getting one
    02-15-10 10:36 AM
    yeah I think its over...
    02-15-10 10:55 AM
    According to what I've read on the iPhone forums, a user replaceable battery is deemed unimportant to some iPhone users. Flash won't be included because HTML 5 is in the works. Native multitasking seems a possibility.

Understanding that this information comes directly from iPhone enthusiasts and that it's all conjecture, anything is possible.

As you can see what the thread below, the things we RIM users find valuable (multitasking, Flash, user replaceable battery) appear to be completely unimportant to some folks there. What matters most seems to be a never ending supply of apps.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f99/who...iphone-417696/
    Thanks, I know, it was really a rhetorical question. iPhone fanboys keep wanting RIM to make a phone for them, and we (BB users) don't care
    02-15-10 11:05 AM
    I have my blackberry and an extra line that I used when I tried out the iPhone. I don't see myself going without a Blackberry simply because it does *almost* everything I need it to do - the browser and Flash are the only things missing from what I consider to be almost perfect devices.

If I see a device that does everything I need, I will get it as a supplement on that extra line - I'll just claim it back from my sister, who's currently using it with my old almost dead 9000. But so far, neither the iPhone, nor the Droid nor the Nexus entice me.
    02-15-10 11:09 AM
    Agreed. I say if there was one phone that did it all, everybody would buy that and there would be nothing to talk about. I have a 5800 for web browsing, multimedia, etc.
    02-15-10 11:10 AM
    Yah - I'm a complete and utter geek, and I'm always looking for the next device to turn my head. Funny thing is, I keep falling in love with berries...
    02-15-10 11:14 AM
    Function wins over form with any intelligent person every time
    02-15-10 11:19 AM
    hhhhmmm.....was that a complement???...***bats eyelashes flirtatiously***
    02-15-10 12:03 PM
    Yep

(And now some meaningless words to get over the minimum requirement for a post)
    02-15-10 12:56 PM
    IMHO, it depends on individual need. My company chairman is still using that ages big brick BB. All he needs is a reliable device for being connected via e-mail, phone call and calendaring. When he lost his BB, he could have bought the latest and greatest. In contrary, he got the exact same old BB model.

I am on the other hand update my BB each year. I love to keep up with technology or what not. My weekend and traveling phone these days is Nokia N900. As a smartphone, BB already outdated in many ways comparing to others latest and greatest. However, it still does what it suppose to do better than others or some. For example, as of today I can't see myself using N900 as every day phone for work trying to stay connected for my work and business.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 01:38 PM
    RIM owns the lions share of the smartphone market. They aren't going anywhere.

Exactly...the fact people have already professed it to be outdated and obsolete hasn't done anything to hinder sales.

02-15-10 01:58 PM
    R.I.M. needs to overhaul their OS its quite outdated I know many people prefer the easy use and all but what about the mass majority going to android and iPhone? rim needs to know that tey will be overtaken by phones that are now providing many buisness solutions at better speeds and better quality...the 9700 can definantly stand on its own but by no means even comes close to the Nexus one or iPhone in terms of apps or development on the device....just look at headlines like "RIM finally decides to make a twitter app"? really what took so long?

1) Mass market is not the business market. There is something called market segmentation. RIM understands and plays to their market segment very well.

2) Speed does not equate to a better phone in the business world. Implementation and management of user policies, device security and remote management, system integration, these are all things that have relevance to the enterprise market more than speed.

3) RIM has a +50% smartphone market share in North America. There's no way you go from 50% to 0% in one year in any circumstance. Even if they just turned off the lights and shut the doors tomorrow, it wouldn't drop off that quickly.

3) Do business users really need an app that makes an animated girl's breasts jiggle when you shake the phone? No. That's why there's less app development for Blackberry. Again, back to that market segment "thing".

I don't disagree with you in general. RIM could be doing it better, but let's compare apples to apples here. The BB is primarily targeted to business people, you can't do a direct comparison to a consumer oriented device.
    02-15-10 03:30 PM
    they ALREADY are outdated, what are you talking about next year?!?!? haha

the 9700 is my first bb. i switched from iphone to this. i like the physical keyboard, but the main reason im sticking with it for now is Tmo has significantly cheaper plans than other carriers.

Now that Tmo has the nexus one...i may be selling this on ebay/craigslist....any offers?

I also just wanted to quickly add something to this statement. I see a lot of people that constantly default to the excuse that BB is THE business phone to have. I just do not agree with that. You all sound like a bunch of fan boys if you ask me, kinda like the old school mac guys. What do you consider about it to be so good for business? The email just isn't that great. I used my iPhone with all the same emails I carry on my BB and the iPhone was quicker to receive/send emails. The iPhone was also better and reading/editing my business related documents. The BB isn't bad, it's just not that great, and I really don't see how exactly this thing is THE business phone. Could someone elaborate?
    Last edited by LAiPhoneHATER; 02-15-10 at 03:36 PM.
    02-15-10 03:31 PM
    RIM have the backend infrastructure, corporate trust and customers... All they really need do in the short term to attract those less interested in the best mobile platform and more interested in attractive fluffiness is do a HTC and hide the underpinnings behind a glossy front end.

Jokes.

Seriously, RIM are going nowhere.

02-15-10 04:14 PM
    It has been said and reiterated many times here...RIM is not going away. Yes, there are viable threats to their consumer and corporate markets...more on the consumer side, but I'm sure there are intelligent people working at RIM that are very aware of this and have a strategy in place for the next 90 days, year, 5 years and beyond to deal with it. Plans for an improved OS and Browser are supposed to be right around the corner. I really laugh when people think RIM is just going to let other companies pass them by or just casually give up their corporate choke hold on the market. I say relax and enjoy the benefits we will all receive from the increased competition. RIM will eventually put out the best product.

02-15-10 04:24 PM
    Just because RIM does not jump through hoops for your crappy little SMS thing does not mean they are going out of business.
    LOL. How ridiculous. No one said they were going out of business. Yet another flame thrower who just wants to be incindiary.

RIM will continue to stay in business for a LONG time. You may depend on it. General Motors will continue to stay in business too. The question for both companies is in what form they will remain in business.

Palm used to be the dominant smart phone. Today they are almost an after thought.

Google and Apple are making tremendous inroads into the smartphone market. One would have never guessed a year ago that Apple and Google would be whipping RIM to the extent they are. I'd prefer to stick with RIM but RIM has stopped being innovative at least as far as their OS development is concerned.
    02-15-10 05:34 PM
    On a different note I was told by a guy in carphonewarehouse (largest uk phone independent store) that they are selling berries 5 to 1 against the iphone.

Very popular over here
    02-15-10 06:25 PM
    I'm watching the Nexus very closely. It could well be my next phone.
    I'm reading the nexus is a disaster. They came out with some os update to fix some issues but now they think the prob may be hardware, not software.
    Then there's the iphone. Those guys recommend you basically turn every feature off so you can get through the day.
    Get real boys!!

02-15-10 07:23 PM
    And now today with news about Windows7 phones, I'm sure many will try windows again. OS6 better wow everyone, RIM.

02-15-10 08:11 PM
251 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD