R.I.M. needs to overhaul their OS its quite outdated I know many people prefer the easy use and all but what about the mass majority going to android and iPhone? rim needs to know that tey will be overtaken by phones that are now providing many buisness solutions at better speeds and better quality...the 9700 can definantly stand on its own but by no means even comes close to the Nexus one or iPhone in terms of apps or development on the device....just look at headlines like "RIM finally decides to make a twitter app"? really what took so long?
    Last edited by limemedic; 02-14-10 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling error
    02-14-10 11:40 PM
    what about the mass majority going to android and iPhone?
    I'm watching the Nexus very closely. It could well be my next phone.
    02-14-10 11:52 PM
    blackberry will not be outdated and obsolete this time next year. the consumer and business market always needs more options for it to bring in revenue. these platforms are rim, apple, android, palm, etc. rim is said to work on a webkit browser for its devices for this year. rim probably knows by now that they need to make an impact with its OS. so i believe they are probably working on it as we speak.but acting soon is the only way they won't lose customers to android/apple. nexus one is one device that many bb users are abandoning the bb's for. it just goes to show how far has android develop. also signs of the iphone 4g arising. i read an article today about iphone 4g on engadget. who knows what surprises steve jobs has for apple fans with that one. 2010 is a crucial year for rim. lets wait and see how rim responds.
    02-14-10 11:54 PM
    thats exactly what im trying to stress they need an overhaul and quick....but without alienating their current user-base.
    02-15-10 12:08 AM
    blackberry will not be outdated and obsolete this time next year.
    You are being VERY optimistic.

acting soon is the only way they won't lose customers to android/apple. nexus one is one device that many bb users are abandoning the bb's for.
    Probably will be my next device. RIM has gotten far too arrogant and it's p*issing many of us off. The horrible dreaded threaded sms in 5.0 is just one example. RIM's code is totally 1/2 a*ss and they have no interest in listening to their customers and writing an OS update to allow people who don't like their code to turn it off. If I have to live with threaded sms, at least make it work and make it visually appealing. RIM does neither.

I am not as optimistic as you. If Google sold the Nexus One in my local T-Mobile store and I could spend some hands-on time really playing with it, I'd guess that I'd already have one and be using it.

RIM needs to be scared. Really scared.
    02-15-10 12:19 AM
    I don't know what will happen. If RIM "plays it safe" and stays its course without change then YES it will become outdated.

It needs to change things up majorly in its OS and hardware to remain current and have people buy it.

Whether this happens, well, it remains to be seen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-10 01:25 AM
    Lol that's'why RIM is the 1st in US..

02-15-10 02:17 AM
    Keep in mind that most of the rest of the world still use blackberries. Their revenues last quarter were really high. They've got a few years to stay in the market even if they don't innovate.

02-15-10 02:58 AM
    RIM is working on the webkit browser and BGR reports that work on OS 6.0 is also under way. We have to wait and see what changes the new OS brings. But it has to be something phenomenal to put up a fight against the onslaught of the other platforms.
    02-15-10 03:59 AM
    It is already outdated and obsolete.

02-15-10 05:55 AM

Probably will be my next device. RIM has gotten far too arrogant and it's p*issing many of us off. The horrible dreaded threaded sms in 5.0 is just one example. RIM's code is totally 1/2 a*ss and they have no interest in listening to their customers and writing an OS update to allow people who don't like their code to turn it off. If I have to live with threaded sms, at least make it work and make it visually appealing. RIM does neither.

I am not as optimistic as you. If Google sold the Nexus One in my local T-Mobile store and I could spend some hands-on time really playing with it, I'd guess that I'd already have one and be using it.

Just because RIM does not jump through hoops for your crappy little SMS thing does not mean they are going out of business. You seem to be WAY more arrougant that RIM! LOL!

I have been using a Blackberry way back to the 957 days and they have seen alot of hardware come and go but nothing does email better and more secure than a Blackberry, nothing. Goverments and business people all over the world depend on Blackberry and will for years to come! RIM did not become number one by chasing the bells and whistles of every teeny-bopper phone introduced! Do not forget to look at SideKick! LOL
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 02-15-10 at 06:16 AM.
    02-15-10 06:11 AM
    As another poster said RIM should be RISM (research in slow motion)

02-15-10 06:29 AM
    blackberry do best what they were designed to do, e-mail, rubbishing a phone maker for one samll feature such as threaded sms(even though im not its biggest fan) is ridiculous, believe me the droid handsets are a lot more buggy and problematic than the BB os and the iphone isnt without its faults, even the nokias etc have more software problems than windows 98 so saying that the BB's are outdated because of there software is a load of bollox
    02-15-10 06:57 AM
    Blackberies are the "Ford trucks" of the phone world. They will be plenty popular for years to come.

02-15-10 07:04 AM
    RIM owns the lions share of the smartphone market. They aren't going anywhere.

02-15-10 07:10 AM

Berryite, my friend, you are SERIOUSLY na�ve if you think RIM wont-come-out-with/isnt-already-working-on something competitive or above what other phones are already producing.

Like my last post said. As long as RIM still owns the smartphone market, they will not be going anywhere anytime soon, but up.

02-15-10 07:13 AM
    Blackberies are the "Ford trucks" of the phone world. They will be plenty popular for years to come.

is this comment meant to defend RIM?? if i was RIM, i'm not sure i would want to be compared to a ford truck
    02-15-10 07:13 AM
    I'm watching the Nexus very closely. It could well be my next phone.
    brother... we've had it out... but speaking truthfully, you would NOT regret the Nexus One...
    02-15-10 07:23 AM
    I strongly dislike Fords, but I must admit that was a complement to RIM.
    02-15-10 07:24 AM
    to answer the original question of this post... will RIM be outdated in a year? not likely... they may not gain ground in the consumer market, maybe even lose a bunch, but in the business market, they aren't going anywhere... businesses and corporations value the secure aspect of BB's too much... the iphones, pres and droids of the world offer too much content and multimedia to be easily made truly secure... So RIM will always have that niche... it's their roots... It really was just a fluke that consumers started wanting BB's.... before the Curve, BB's were almost non-existent in the hands of regular Joes....
    02-15-10 07:26 AM
    Berryite, my friend, you are SERIOUSLY na�ve if you think RIM wont-come-out-with/isnt-already-working-on something competitive or above what other phones are already producing.

Like my last post said. As long as RIM still owns the smartphone market, they will not be going anywhere anytime soon, but up.

well, we all HOPE that RIM is diligently working on the next great BB... but they seriously need to start showing results... we'll see what MWC brings us this week... afterall, tomorrow (Tuesday) is RIM's "BIG" announcement...
    02-15-10 07:28 AM
    to answer the original question of this post... will RIM be outdated in a year? not likely... they may not gain ground in the consumer market, maybe even lose a bunch, but in the business market, they aren't going anywhere... businesses and corporations value the secure aspect of BB's too much... the iphones, pres and droids of the world offer too much content and multimedia to be easily made truly secure... So RIM will always have that niche... it's their roots... It really was just a fluke that consumers started wanting BB's.... before the Curve, BB's were almost non-existent in the hands of regular Joes....
    I agree with this 100%, but I think now is the time that RIM is REALLY going to begin their push into the consumer market. The reason being is two things. The webkit browser and OS6. We don't know much about either right now but I think it's still safe to assume they will be big changes for RIM that will have definite appeal to the more casual and socially minded consumer.
    02-15-10 07:28 AM
    well, we all HOPE that RIM is diligently working on the next great BB... but they seriously need to start showing results... we'll see what MWC brings us this week... afterall, tomorrow (Tuesday) is RIM's "BIG" announcement...
    I see you've already left but I would hav said just keep the faith a LITTLE bit longer and I'm sure it will pay off. Alas, you have moved on to the Nexus. Kind of jealous lol I do REALLY want to give that phone a run for a couple weeks.
    02-15-10 07:30 AM
    I see you've already left but I would hav said just keep the faith a LITTLE bit longer and I'm sure it will pay off.
    but in the context of RIM, this means many months, if not a year or two...
    02-15-10 07:34 AM
    R.I.M. needs to overhaul their OS its quite outdated I know many people prefer the easy use and all but what about the mass majority going to android and iPhone? rim needs to know that tey will be overtaken by phones that are now providing many buisness solutions at better speeds and better quality...the 9700 can definantly stand on its own but by no means even comes close to the Nexus one or iPhone in terms of apps or development on the device....just look at headlines like "RIM finally decides to make a twitter app"? really what took so long?
    Please post your data for such a statement as bolded above. I'm not aware of a "mass majority" moving to either platform. The only place where I could see a move towards those platforms would be in highly creative areas, such as perhaps advertising agencies or the arts. Or in youngish, trendy crowds.

It would be interesting to see where federal, state, county and local agencies have gone to either platform. Additionally, data as to what segment of the financial sectors are moving en masse to either platform. Ditto for mass segments of the medical profession. Or judicial branches. Or some such segment of the population at large moving en masse.

Unless those numbers are given, the statement quoted above lacks substance and it's opinion, not fact. Aside from the poor browser and the lack of Flash, I don't find anything that is so offensive in the current OS.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 02-15-10 at 07:43 AM.
    02-15-10 07:38 AM
251 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD