I have been messing around with Wikitude a bit ever since I got this phone and I was wondering how some of the features work.. I mean I kind of figured out that the "tweets" location is where that person was physically standing when they posted it, maybe? But like how do the youtube videos work exactly? A few videos are coming up like "parkour" and "rob dyrdek skateboarding something or other" and they are just a few streets away from me.. I know that that famous skateboarder obviously was not skateboarding in that spot and that's why that video popped up, so how does it figure out what comes up? Is it again like the location that whoever uploaded the video at? And same with Flickr.. Does that go based off of where the person uploaded it at or based off of the name of the picture corresponding to where they took it? (I.E. Picture of restaurant not becuase the picture was taken there, but because the restaurants location matches the name of the picture so it pops up)

This is obviously not a big deal to get the straight answer, although it is intriguing and I would like to hear some peoples ideas on what's going on, or what it is actually based off of if you know that of course.

Thanks!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-11 08:15 PM
    Can't wait to hear the responses myself. I can't figure this thing out to save my life and am about to uninstall it out of sheer ignorance. I'll wait to see if someone can explain the mystery.
    08-18-11 08:25 PM
    I would also like to hear some educated answers!

Also, is there a way to just see stores and businesses? Like when you check in places on Facebook, or the Google Goggles app for restaurants/yellowpages etc?

I like the BBM/Twitter/Youtube stuff... but what about simple integration with Poynt, YP, or Urbanspoon?
    08-18-11 08:28 PM
    WAIT.
    Do you run parkour?

It's probably where it happened.

For example if I say I ran parkour in Atlanta GA. It should show it somewhere in ATL.

Probably the center or something unless i give an exact address.
    08-18-11 09:39 PM
    Wikitude gives you Augmented Reality (AR) is a term for a live direct or an indirect view of a physical, real-world environment whose elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory input such as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to a more general concept called mediated reality, in which a view of reality is modified (possibly even diminished rather than augmented) by a computer. As a result, the technology functions by enhancing one�s current perception of reality.

It has been broken down into 'worlds', if it helps you can think of these worlds as portals to social networking sites without all the words n stuff

The numbers on the world, indicate the number of events that are near you. From the above example, I would have 50 BBM contacts that I could interact with. Second icon from the left, top row is the different worlds, or feeds you can have appear in your main page, or add another if the first page is full.

The Wikitude Browser is broken into three views.

Reality Browser

and

This view combined with the digital compass, gives you a real time view of where the event is in relation to you. If you see the top circle in the left corner, you can also see a real-time distance and directional feedback that actually moves as your position does. Using this view on a busy street in your area will give you different results depending on what world you are interacting with. The first photo is a partial view of all the YouTube events that were geotagged (4 I think), and for some worlds, that is all that is needed. The second picture is a partial view of ARTags (I am not too sure if this is street tagging or an Augmented Tag on that spot) I'll check it out this week-end.

The second view is map view that can be pinch/zoomed and you can move around, it will show you all the contacts within that world in the range that you specify (Settings) The below view will give you your location (blue dot).

Clicking on any one of these events will bring you a small pop-up window on the bottom with additional information. If you were to click on that box, another window with a more detailed description opens and offers a web link, which, if clicked will bring you to the source of the event.

The third view is a list of all the events and by touching the link does the same thing as above. The last option on top is a notification to let you know you are connected within Wikitude Chat (Which is how you interact with other BBM users, while also being able to invite to your list)

If you look back at the first photo, you will notice that there is an icon (second from the left beside BBM), called Browse Worlds, with the number 48 beside it. Those are the number of worlds/feeds I can select from and have them update when I open the app, or recalibrate. For example: One of my worlds is 'Webcams', and I have 30 events. Seems these are traffic cams that I can access from the browser.

I am not sure if Wikitude changes the worlds that are accessible based on location, but you can always select that and scroll through the list (Some of them, about 9 were shaded and could not be opened), and you can either click on the world to add it to your homepage(as shown by a lit star to the right)

I am not going to reinvent the wheel by going through all my worlds, as they may not be the same. Obviously, the more people who contribute to this, the better it is going to be, especially when travelling! Android already runs this, as I believe there is an app for the iPhone. On their website, they do say they are creating a Blackberry app for OS 5 & 6.

In a nutshell, it allows the user to interact with their physical environment, while being able to access additional information from various feeds in real time as you are in motion. (heavy on the social content, but I also get a complete list of all RBC ATMs in my area, so it depends). Is it useful? I am not sure. It's fun, and I do find myself wandering off after work to check out some dive restaurant someone checked into on Yelp, or adding random people around me on BBM.

Calibration - AKA "Looking like an id10t on a crowded street waving your BB in a figure eight over your head while trying not to be noticed"

Usually pretty easy but if your phone comes into contact with a strong magnetic field or a magnet, you will have to recalibrate. This is not always the case. If you are looking up location based feeds, then the position of the restaurant will not have changed. The app works almost as well (in terms of your location relative to the event) that you shouldn't bother calibrating unless your phone has been in a holster, or hasn't been used in a bit (I know, that's crazy!!!!)

You can get more information at Wikitude
    Hope it explains something things.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Oniberry; 08-18-11 at 10:35 PM.
    08-18-11 10:23 PM
    You dont have to wave it like an *****, just flip it around 2-3 times and ur done.
    08-18-11 10:47 PM
    lol....very funny
    08-19-11 05:46 AM
    Can't wait to hear the responses myself. I can't figure this thing out to save my life and am about to uninstall it out of sheer ignorance. I'll wait to see if someone can explain the mystery.
    Same here. I'm still waiting on an explanation I understand.......
    08-19-11 07:26 AM
    My question to everyone regarding Wikitude is...has anyone successfully located a person's BBM across your house/across a room through the AR viewfinder? The only reason I would want Wikitude is for picking BBM friends out of a crowd and I haven't been able to see a single one yet -

I just see random people, and no useful information. I've tested it with another person running OS 7 on a 9900.
    08-19-11 08:17 AM
    Looks promising. But I still don't get it.
    08-19-11 06:04 PM
    Ask away and I will try to answer....
    08-19-11 06:09 PM
    K...i'm a dummy. Just downloaded this, but can't locate it! I did a search on my phone and it's there, but it's not where my apps are or in any other folders. Don't think it's hidden either. Suggestions?
    08-19-11 06:20 PM
    K...i'm a dummy. Just downloaded this, but can't locate it! I did a search on my phone and it's there, but it's not where my apps are or in any other folders. Don't think it's hidden either. Suggestions?
    On your Homescreen you can hit the BB button and choose Options and there you can see where you default download folder is. You can also choose Show all in case it is hidden.

Cheers,
    08-19-11 06:29 PM
    it didnt even come loaded on my phone!
    08-19-11 06:31 PM
    Same ! Only I have uninstalled it due to my confused ignorance.

It is in App World (where I found it this morning)
    08-19-11 06:31 PM
    It didn't really come installed on anyone's phone. From what I understand anyways...
    08-19-11 06:32 PM
    On your Homescreen you can hit the BB button and choose Options and there you can see where you default download folder is. You can also choose Show all in case it is hidden.

Cheers,
    My default download folder is "Home". But the app isn't there!!

I do not see Show all after hitting the BB button.
    08-19-11 06:37 PM
    That is strange, what happens when you go to app world?

Is it listed in Options>>Device>>App Mngt Under Applications all, can you click the BB button and choose Edit permissions

If that does not work, try a universal search for wikitude and click on the icon if it pops up.
    08-19-11 06:39 PM
    My question to everyone regarding Wikitude is...has anyone successfully located a person's BBM across your house/across a room through the AR viewfinder? The only reason I would want Wikitude is for picking BBM friends out of a crowd and I haven't been able to see a single one yet -

I just see random people, and no useful information. I've tested it with another person running OS 7 on a 9900.
    I found random BBM'ers located 30 miles away, when you click on the box it says "invite to Wikitude chat?" haven't actually invited anyone yet!
    08-19-11 08:31 PM
    That is strange, what happens when you go to app world?

Is it listed in Options>>Device>>App Mngt Under Applications all, can you click the BB button and choose Edit permissions

If that does not work, try a universal search for wikitude and click on the icon if it pops up.
    It is in app world. It shows as installed.

It is listed in app mgmt applications and I can click the BB button and choose edit permissions

Icon does pop up when I did a universal search.

Weird!
    08-19-11 08:54 PM
    It is in app world. It shows as installed.

It is listed in app mgmt applications and I can click the BB button and choose edit permissions

Icon does pop up when I did a universal search.

Weird!
    Very. I don't know what to type...

Since it's a BB though, I am going to guess it involves unistalling and reinstalling something, with a dash of battery pull
    funnykindel likes this.
    08-19-11 09:17 PM
    On my 9900 on Telus it downloaded into the same folder where the native RIM apps are located.
    08-20-11 12:45 AM
    I will confirm and try out all I need to try to understand how it works but if I don't understand...no problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-11 03:30 AM
    is it possible insert new POI directly from BB9900?
    08-20-11 05:44 AM
    is it possible insert new POI directly from BB9900?
    Depending on what you are trying to do, it is possible.

POI = Point of Interest?
    08-20-11 07:44 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD