We have all I suppose seen that youtube video with a preview of the wikitude browser, where in the end he could see BBM users trough his camera...Wich is nice...But my question is, could he only see BBM contacts he added or also BBM contacts that he didn't add ?
    07-23-11 02:59 PM
    We have all I suppose seen that youtube video with a preview of the wikitude browser, where in the end he could see BBM users trough his camera...Wich is nice...But my question is, could he only see BBM contacts he added or also BBM contacts that he didn't add ?
    I've seen the preview but just for clarification, what exactly is the Wikitude Browser?
    07-23-11 03:44 PM
    From what I seen, it's some kind of special "wiki" feature you could use trough your camera, like if you point your camera at some kind of historical place or something, you might get an icon for it and read it's info and stuff...
    07-23-11 05:29 PM
    Its an Augmented Reality application. It utilizes you phones camera to display your surroundings but displays people, discounts, etc. in the area. When I think of it, it reminds me of the old SIMS games. Remember those silly green diamonds that would float over people and the bubbles that would appear over buildings "downtown?" Same sort of thing really. You can use the Augmented Reality browser to display these icons/bubbles/whatevers over contacts who are nearby and the likes.
    Mikey112 likes this.
    07-23-11 05:39 PM
    One interesting application for augmented reality that I read about recently is that when you travel if your phone sees a place that was once in a movie, it will download and start playing that movie so you can see the movie action while you are standing in the real place.

This is old but it shows the potential for augmented reality...I think it will be huge.
    Augmented Reality Ad Puts You With Angels in London Train Station [VIDEO]
    07-23-11 06:27 PM
    Its an Augmented Reality application. It utilizes you phones camera to display your surroundings but displays people, discounts, etc. in the area. When I think of it, it reminds me of the old SIMS games. Remember those silly green diamonds that would float over people and the bubbles that would appear over buildings "downtown?" Same sort of thing really. You can use the Augmented Reality browser to display these icons/bubbles/whatevers over contacts who are nearby and the likes.
    Yeah, but I wonder if the contacts needs to be saved in your phone to be able to see them or could you also see new unknown people ?
    07-23-11 06:39 PM
    Yeah, but I wonder if the contacts needs to be saved in your phone to be able to see them or could you also see new unknown people ?
    ...wasn't directly answering you there. I should have quoted Mikey's post asking about AR and Wikitude's browser. Sorry. I don't know if your original question is answerable right now. I haven't heard of anyone using test devices that have Wikitude working at the moment.
    07-23-11 06:46 PM
    i think it's clear that only contact + bbm contacts can see.. or else it's privacy violation.. or there is a option for that people can see you or not.. but i think only contacts..
    07-23-11 06:47 PM
    i think it's clear that only contact + bbm contacts can see.. or else it's privacy violation.. or there is a option for that people can see you or not.. but i think only contacts..
    Why would it be privacy violation ? You would only see their profile pic and contact (would also be cool if they can show their ping) + (If they wish)

Just like facebook, you can see veryone's profile pic and name, isn't that privacy violation ?
    07-23-11 06:55 PM
    Not too much is clear in this regard yet... The browser is avaliable for other OS platforms. You could research how it's handled on those handsets, but that still doesn't mean anything about what features will be avaliable or privacy options within the BBOS application (especially within BBM). Personally, I feel this would be rather stupid if it were only your contacts. I don't know if its exactly an invasion of privacy or would make me at all uncomfortable. They have to be a certain distance from me in order to appear through the camera, and, well it's not like the thing xrays me and show my skivies! They can already see me and I them (they're the onle looking stupid viewing the world through their phone held over their face) or ask for my BBM details. Don't want to share your info with someone who asks to connect? Just don't accept their invite. So what if they would see I use a BlackBerry through the browser. They could see that in "normal reality" anyways too.
    07-23-11 06:56 PM
    Oh, sounds interesting. Just another amazing feature of the 9900/9930.
    07-23-11 07:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD