i just bought a new blackberry bold 9900 from an online site called flipkart (indian website and i live here). the problem is am not gettting blackberry symbol on the top right corner of my phone and even if i connected to a working wifi am not able to use the internet, is there any need for change of setting or some thing????
    04-11-15 06:27 PM
    Can you log into your router? If so, do that and try various channels to see if one will give you that connection. Here in the States, w/ my mobile carrier, channel 6 is what I need to get and maintain wifi status.
    04-11-15 08:37 PM
    i just connected my bb to a hotspot by another phone. its not working,please help me to know about the blackberry symbol...
    04-12-15 07:27 AM
    BlackBerry symbol means you have data.
    04-12-15 09:13 AM
    Op go to settings > Network and connections > Mobile Network > and see that both mobile network and data services are toggled on
    04-12-15 10:07 AM
    Do you have BIS active on your device ?
    04-12-15 06:26 PM
    Hi,

I am having the same problem. I am a new Blackberry user and I just got a refurbished Bold 9930. I have an inexpensive plan on Page Plus and with my last phone I only used the internet through wifi. Anyhow I just activated the BB phone last night and was able to successfully connect to my home wifi.

Do I need to have an active data plan to use wifi or is there a way around this? Currently my account is at 0mb of data. My phone has the 3G symbol at the top but not the little Blackberry symbol.

Also do I need to register a BlackBerry ID to be able to access the internet over wifi? I attempted to set one up on the phone but that failed since I don't have the 3G data access I guess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    04-14-15 10:44 AM
    A BlackBerry Internet Service plan ( BIS ) is required from your carrier.
    It enables you to use email and BBM which would go through BB servers.
    ( you would see BB symbol on your device )

You can still use internet , through browser without BIS . You just can't take advantage of BB email or messaging.

Had you gone with the new OS 10 devices , BIS would not be required.
    04-14-15 12:05 PM
    I'm not sure I follow what you're saying. BIS is required from my carrier but just for email and BBM? I don't really care about BBM, but what about my gmail account? You can't set up a IMAP or POP account with the email program?

But you're saying I should be able to access the web? Page Plus used to sell BB phones and it looks like they still offer support for the curve 9330 and a few others.

I don't need the latest phone with a ton of features. A physical keyboard and basic internet and email access are the main things that I would like. My last phone was a Palm Pre and it met all of those requirements till it started wearing out. I might not have bought a BB if I knew it was going to be that restricted.
    04-14-15 12:44 PM
    You can can use the web browser and get your gmail from there.
    ( or setup another app such as Logicmail )

But if you want to setup your email accounts through the native email app you would need BIS.
    addlepatedcamel likes this.
    04-14-15 01:00 PM