Hello all,

I am off to Australia on Sunday and am still undecided as to what to do.

My initial plan is to pick up a local sim and use that, I am not however 100% convinced that I won't get issues with the BIS, especially as after a trial with exchangemymail my BB still seems to think it is on BES too. With 3rd party apps and themes etc I just don't have the appetite for a full device wipe so will not know if the other sim will just work until I try.

Option 2 is to switch off the roaming data or the radio completely and use wifi only. I have a MIFI device so will in theory always have a connection. My only doubt with this option is going back a few years I remember that my Bold 9000 would not connect to wifi if the data was turned off. My 9780 seems to work ok but I have no idea if it is somehow using mobile data too when I try.

Has anybody used a BB abroad using wifi only?

Thanks
    08-05-11 10:47 AM
    You'll get issues with BIS if you pick up a SIM that doesn't have a BIS account attached to it.

You can, however, keep your Orange SIM in the device and switch off the data services and only use wifi. My girlfriend did that while she was in Germany and it worked fine for us.
    08-05-11 03:34 PM
    You'll get issues with BIS if you pick up a SIM that doesn't have a BIS account attached to it.

You can, however, keep your Orange SIM in the device and switch off the data services and only use wifi. My girlfriend did that while she was in Germany and it worked fine for us.
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards going wifi only. I'll have the mifi anyway so if a PAYG sim is reasonable I may at least give it a go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-11 04:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD