I don't have a data plan and I want to go on facebook and the browser. If i use my data plan, i get charged BIG time. Is there anyway to just use the Wifi cuz every time I try to go on a web browser it says its not connected when it is clearly connected to wifi. Thank you!
    06-28-11 06:07 PM
    So what's the point of having wifi on if it's just going to use the data plan?
    06-29-11 12:38 AM
    I don't have a data plan and I want to go on facebook and the browser. If i use my data plan, i get charged BIG time. Is there anyway to just use the Wifi cuz every time I try to go on a web browser it says its not connected when it is clearly connected to wifi. Thank you!
    Yes!!!!
    However if your running 5.0, you must manually tell the browser to use wifi. If you install 6.0 it will use whatever connection is available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-29-11 03:18 AM
    ok so as long as I am within range of wifi, the applications that connect to the internet should use wifi?
    06-29-11 10:23 AM
    Yes!!!!
    However if your running 5.0, you must manually tell the browser to use wifi. If you install 6.0 it will use whatever connection is available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't think so; apps require the data plan
    06-29-11 10:26 AM
    To fully use your BlabkBerry's data, you need a BlackBerry data plan.

This is enforced, yes enforced by your carrier who blocks the use of unauthorized data which they see as data use without a paid-up data plan. They do this by sending Service Books to your phone which disable the data. If you delete the service books, then the phone disables data use.

Why do they do this? because they initially subsidized your phone purchase and they want your data money to recuperate this subsidy.

I have manged to make some data functions work without a data plane but never the browser.

There have been reported cases of browsers working on WiFi without a data-plan but this has always been tracable to a previous data-plan having been used on the phone.

You need a data plan.
    06-29-11 10:49 AM
    what are you guys crazy ? Of course you can.

andyahs, with so many posts, you sure are clueless...

YES of course you can use the browser without a data plan.. it has wifi.

I have had 2 blackberries, I have never had a regular "data plan" most of the time I will have only pay as you go voice service, sometimes I turn on the 711 speak out $10 unlimited browsing (sometimes)

I use my phone as a wifi device.

Things that work with wifi only (and the $10 unlimited browsing from 711 speak out)

THe built in browser of course works on wifi exactly the same as if you had a data plan.

Opera Mini browser works on wifi

Nimbuzz works for facebook and other accounts chat on wifi only.

Mobile Gmaps works on wifi only for great yahoo maps.

Kayak Travel app works great on wifi only for travel stuff...

--

The above is all I need, and I would add these apps all work with proper settings with the $10 unlimited browsing with 711 speak out. In fact I can watch youtubes with this too ! lol.

So yes, you can take the sim card RIGHT out of the phone and browse the internet if you want, anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it.
    06-30-11 05:51 PM
    ps, you for sure want to UNLOCK YOUR PHONE for $1, just check ebay for the right code.
    06-30-11 05:52 PM
    06-30-11 05:53 PM
    ps, I might have been confusing here - those apps all work on wifi only without even a sim card if I want, they also work with any sim card in the phone, they also happen to work fine using 711 speak out $10 a month unlimited browsing over the 3g network..
    06-30-11 05:55 PM
    ps, you for sure want to UNLOCK YOUR PHONE for $1, just check ebay for the right code.
    Why would the OP need to do that?

The only thing unlocking does to the phone is make it usable on other networks the phone wasn't intended for, nothing else. If the OP already has the phone working on the network they want then unlocking is pointless...

P.S. Don't ever buy an unlock code from Ebay, there's a very good chance you'll get screwed. Buy one from one of the many unlockers here, or go to one of the sites that offer free ones.
    06-30-11 05:57 PM
    Thanks for all the great info. [I] am a new user and I can't figure out how to up load apps only on wifi. `
    Thanks for all your help
    07-01-11 10:31 AM
    what are you guys crazy ? Of course you can.

andyahs, with so many posts, you sure are clueless...

YES of course you can use the browser without a data plan.. it has wifi.

I have had 2 blackberries, I have never had a regular "data plan" most of the time I will have only pay as you go voice service, sometimes I turn on the 711 speak out $10 unlimited browsing (sometimes)

I use my phone as a wifi device.

Things that work with wifi only (and the $10 unlimited browsing from 711 speak out)

THe built in browser of course works on wifi exactly the same as if you had a data plan.

Opera Mini browser works on wifi

Nimbuzz works for facebook and other accounts chat on wifi only.

Mobile Gmaps works on wifi only for great yahoo maps.

Kayak Travel app works great on wifi only for travel stuff...

--

The above is all I need, and I would add these apps all work with proper settings with the $10 unlimited browsing with 711 speak out. In fact I can watch youtubes with this too ! lol.

So yes, you can take the sim card RIGHT out of the phone and browse the internet if you want, anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it.
    Did you read my post? I do not think so.

On the 81xx series phones which only run OS4.5 as a max, what you say is true and I have done that. I have gone further than you and even used ad-hoc data using pre-paid phones.

Using Opera-Mini works this way works too.

When you use OS5 and above on later phones this does not work. Believe me, I have tried hard to replicate what I originally observed on my old 81xx phones.

You will note that the OP actually has a 9700. I have one of those too and I have tried to make this work without a SIM and it will not work.

It is like I said in my post, this may or may not work depending on the presence and content of enabling Service Books.

You mentioned andyahs number of posts so I guess that I should tell you who I really am.

Pete6
    07-01-11 11:52 AM
    ^^--- That really is me .
    07-01-11 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD