I have had a search around but cannot find apossible solution so far for this issue.

My Bold has been running through its wifi connection just fine ever since I got it a few months ago but yesterday a friend talked me through setting up my home network so that my laptop can access the files on the main PC which is directly connected to the wireless router. Since doing this my Bold can no longer connect through wifi. The network displays onthe top of the screen but any attempt to log onto it just leaves the wifi symbol greyed out and a connection to the net defaults to the 3g connection instead.

Its quite clearly something that has been done during the network setup. To the best of my knowledge the only thing that was done that involved the actual wireless router (im assuming any change made to my main PC would have no bearing on the Bold) was that and IP range had to be specified in the DHCP area (whatever that is lol) to allow other computers in the workgroup to connect.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Daniel
    04-30-09 11:03 AM
    Have you tried resetting the modem and/or router and doing a battery pull? If your friend broke it, tell him he needs to fix it. What he did is freaking simple and shouldn't have broken anything. I don't even know why anything had to be changed. Any standard router can have computers connected to it that can share files, etc. with each other.

Chris
    04-30-09 11:07 AM
    Sometimes have trouble similar to the above connecting to my home wifi, and it's usually because I haven't closed the Browser or Email properly...

When I close them and try again it's fine, so maybe that's worth a try.

Take it step by step if that doesn't work - batt pull/quickpull your bold. If not, try unplugging the router/modem, plugging in and trying again.

If that doesn't work, do what Mr Tronyx suggests, and get the guy round who broke it to fix it!

JB
    04-30-09 11:21 AM
    i've had the same problem, but mine has worked previously fine and since last night it doesn't want to. i've tried resetting my modem and doing quickpull but no luck so far
    04-30-09 11:43 AM
    I would try getting a connection through the BB set up folder. Go to wi-fi set up and have it scan for networks. If it picks up your wi-fi hit menu and connect this usually works for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-09 11:51 AM
    still no luck
    04-30-09 12:19 PM
    I had a problem like this and It was that I had DCHP enabled in the router but also had a reserved IP set up for another computer, if there is a conflict and the BB is trying to connect unsuccessfully to the same IP the laptop has now been set to then this could be the problem. Check reserved IP addresses and remove if there are any. Reboot the router and devices and all should work okay.

Hope this helps.
    04-30-09 01:02 PM
    Having gone through all the possible solutions I can find, including going to some local open networks I know I can normally connect to, I still was having the same problem. I contacted my provider (Orange in the UK) and they went through a diagnostics which has led to them sending out a new handset tommorow morning. The woman I spoke to said if you are subscribed to their BIS service (compulsory to have a blackbeerry with them), you can connect to the wireless network (network name appears next to your providor name at the top of the screen) yet the wifi remains greyed out and defaults to a mobile network connection when browsing the internet it apparently means a fault in wifi chip. She said its not completely caput but it is faulty/damaged and giving limited use.

According to her this is an extremely common problem so I thought I woiuld reiterate what she said having seen so many requests for help with this issue all over the internet. Seems I was looking down the wrong route with my router and home netweork setup, just rotten timing that this happened around the time I was having that sorted out which has lead me to believe that was the problem. Having checked in the router whilst tryring to find the answer the router was saying the Blackberry was there and connected so no issue there, IP conflicts where checked etc.

Hope this helps someone else

Daniel
    Last edited by druidwitch; 05-01-09 at 09:41 AM.
    05-01-09 09:38 AM
    My issue seems to be with range. I lose ~ 1dBm per 6in from the antenna. This isn't exact, but at ~ 35 feet from the router's standard antenna, my signal strength on the BB is ~ -70dBm. This isn't a router problem because I don't have this problem with my laptop or my wife's iPhone.

I'm not sure if I can live with this range problem or if I should look at exchanging my BB. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the device.

edit: just playing around with frequencies, I have found that I have the greatest signal strength around channel 1 in the 2.4 ghz band.
    05-01-09 10:14 AM
    druidwitch, I had pretty much the same problem...had a bad wifi chip or radio or something. Had to switch devices...new one works fine. Old one when scanning would NOT pick up any wifi networks, even though they were available. Glad you got it fixed.
    05-01-09 12:18 PM
    Been picking up networks fine since I've had my bold (bought on launch). Am running .266, whilst it is saying 'connected' has just randomly greyed out and can't browse through wifi.

Tried everything, giving up. One more method to try......

Ebay, iphone, sorted

05-01-09 03:07 PM
    Been picking up networks fine since I've had my bold (bought on launch). Am running .266, whilst it is saying 'connected' has just randomly greyed out and can't browse through wifi.

Tried everything, giving up. One more method to try......

Ebay, iphone, sorted
    LMAO! A little drastic but I can't say I have not thought about it!! Check this thread from the 8900 forum, I am is same position, orange UK user, worked fine forever Tuesday / Wednesday this week gone, have also tried everything LOL except the ebay iphone workaround

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wi-fi-problem-218992/
    05-02-09 06:30 AM
    Having gone through all the possible solutions I can find, including going to some local open networks I know I can normally connect to, I still was having the same problem. I contacted my provider (Orange in the UK) and they went through a diagnostics which has led to them sending out a new handset tommorow morning. The woman I spoke to said if you are subscribed to their BIS service (compulsory to have a blackbeerry with them), you can connect to the wireless network (network name appears next to your providor name at the top of the screen) yet the wifi remains greyed out and defaults to a mobile network connection when browsing the internet it apparently means a fault in wifi chip. She said its not completely caput but it is faulty/damaged and giving limited use.

According to her this is an extremely common problem so I thought I woiuld reiterate what she said having seen so many requests for help with this issue all over the internet. Seems I was looking down the wrong route with my router and home netweork setup, just rotten timing that this happened around the time I was having that sorted out which has lead me to believe that was the problem. Having checked in the router whilst tryring to find the answer the router was saying the Blackberry was there and connected so no issue there, IP conflicts where checked etc.

Hope this helps someone else

Daniel
    I would be keen to hear if a new handset sorts this, I do no think it will as there is at least 10 (myself included) orange UK users can not get or had but now can not get full WIFI. To much of a coincidence if you ask me.

Hope this helps, good luck
    05-02-09 06:33 AM
    i've had the same problem, but mine has worked previously fine and since last night it doesn't want to. i've tried resetting my modem and doing quickpull but no luck so far
    Exactly the same, has worked fine but now nothing. I see you are also on orange,mmmmmmmmm
    05-02-09 06:34 AM
    I may be wrong but I think this post on the Blackberry Support Forum might help. It seems that a few people have been losing wi-fi connectivity to BIS with Orange. BlackBerry Support Community Forums - Orange WiFi BIS basic question - BlackBerry 9000 Series Smartphone - BlackBerry Bold - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    05-02-09 06:48 AM
    Thanks GNOME, just read the thread with interest. Looks like 100% Orange UK issue.

Will get onto them again next week.

Thanks again.
    05-02-09 07:00 AM
    new handset arrived today - exactly same problem - so I think it is clearly an Orange issue now, buy hey ** I can wait for it to get fixed and enjoy a shiny new handset in the process.
    05-02-09 07:14 AM
    OK I just got off the phone with Orange, and so did my friend with the same issue. They have JUST received an email 10 mins ago detailing the issue with BIS over WIFI. it is an issue with the "RIM RELAY" after 10 mins of back and forth he took my pin and phone number and sent a sim update and all is well FULL wifi connection green tick and bold white WIFI logo........SWEET!!

Bad news is he said there is not a fix for all orange UK berry users at the moment and it can only fixed on a one to one basis once people have rang them.

Also, they have only just received the email apparently so it is highly likely you will initially get through to somebody who does not know about this issue and the fix.

Hope this helps people, good luck.

05-02-09 08:20 AM
    LMAO! A little drastic but I can't say I have not thought about it!! Check this thread from the 8900 forum, I am is same position, orange UK user, worked fine forever Tuesday / Wednesday this week gone, have also tried everything LOL except the ebay iphone workaround

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wi-fi-problem-218992/
    Haha, have put my toys back in the pram! Forgot to say I'm on orange uk too. Clearly their issue!

Have just rung them and spoke to some chocolate teapot who told me to ring blackberry. Will try later for this sim update.

Can't handle more than one call in an hour to that useless shower!

05-02-09 08:32 AM
    Haha, have put my toys back in the pram! Forgot to say I'm on orange uk too. Clearly their issue!

Have just rung them and spoke to some chocolate teapot who told me to ring blackberry. Will try later for this sim update.

Can't handle more than one call in an hour to that useless shower!

Yeah you do need a while in between calls to those muppets to cool down. Just leave it a while for the email to circulate and call back. Make sure you mention BIS over WIFI due to RIM RELAY error.

LOL! if its still no good then go ahead and resort to the ebay iphone workaround
    05-02-09 08:49 AM
    Just been onthe phone to orange - ask them to pass you through to their dedicated blackberry team first. Took about 15 minutes (this is a new issue they are still earning the different ways of sorting it) but now I am all fixed and sorted. She said to let all of you still having trouble on here to call in and they can get it sorted for you.
    05-02-09 09:17 AM
    SUCCESS! Thanks bodisaffa and druidwitch

Operation ebay aborted! Called 08000790328 (orange dedicated business support). Through in 10 seconds, explained problem, he quickly changed something, re-sent service books, soft reset, all sorted.

Just goes to show how hopeless 150 / 156 orange cs are! Will bear that in mind when my next contract comes up.

05-02-09 12:47 PM
    because the 8120 is uma enabled, wifi works just dandy.
    move to bold 9000, and orange seems to somehow disable the wifi
    (like they are trying to force us to use data only). I suspect
    this is really the case as orange are desperate for extra charges
    and i only get 50mb payg and 250mb for contract is not a lot
    and can be exceeded. either way orange is AT FAULT and should
    really just admit up. Calling them on payg is just a waste of time
    as you only get front line numptys. also note the same 9000 works
    just great on wifi with all other carriers. just on orange contract/payg its blocked.
    05-02-09 06:14 PM
    Its not blocked, its an issue between the RIM relay and something on there end. They have been slow to fix this as they simply did not know the issue could exist. The woman I spoke to explained that because they dont normally offer support in that area, dealing with this issue was new ground for them. Whilst sorting myself out over the phone I genuinely got the impression she was enjoying trying to fix the problem, happen simply because it was a challenge and is something new for them to do - I for one know that feeling.

Considering I have had many months of flawless use of my bold and wifi up until a few days a go I cant see how that translates to orange disabling the wifi on them. Its a problem, like any other on any other phone. As for data use, I heavily use my connection over 3g away from home and never breach my limit - only streaming would do that which honestly is not a priority provision at the end of the day.
    05-02-09 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD