Hi there,
    I just got my blackberry, and I've installed a couple apps. But just today I got a thing on my blackberry saying "You are running low on memory and you need to free some space. Please select applications that you do not use frequently for removals."

I uninstalled a few things I didn't use, but this message still appears. It also pop ups randomly when I am doing things.

I looked into the memory it says free device memory 825.4MB but application there is none. So what do I do here?
    07-26-09 01:35 AM
    Have you tried a battery pull?
    07-26-09 01:39 AM
    What's that? Lol.
    07-26-09 01:44 AM
    Battery pull means pulling out your battery. Make sure to keep it out for 30 seconds before putting it back in, and pull it out while the phone is still on. If your memory gets too low it will start erasing your messages and call logs.
    07-26-09 01:50 AM
    Battery pull means pulling out your battery. Make sure to keep it out for 30 seconds before putting it back in, and pull it out while the phone is still on. If your memory gets too low it will start erasing your messages and call logs.
    LOL This is highly ironic cause I just did exactly the OPPOSITE to everyhting in that post. I turned the BB off and took battery out and instantly put it back in wow. lol.
    07-26-09 01:52 AM
    I've only had the Blackberry for a week, how come the application memory went down so quick, are there any ramifications to this? and are there any ways to prevent it from happening.
    07-26-09 01:55 AM
    Some themes can cause a huge memory leak, and some applications can too. The best thing that I can tell you to do is to make sure that you don't have too much stuff stored on your phone (do you use a memory card to store your pictures, etc.?) and always close out applications when you are done using them. I'm not sure why it jumps so much. Mine is usually pretty good w/apps, but I have had a few themes that I had to delete off of the phone because it would drop my memory from 45MB to 20MB in a matter of five minutes. If my memory gets too low I just do a battery pull and it will pop it back up in the 40's again. Lately I've been reading that the standard OS (.167) is the cause of the memory leaks, and people who have upgraded to the newest one (.282 I believe though I could be wrong) aren't having that issue anymore and are actually running from 45-55MB at all times.
    07-26-09 02:01 AM
    Yeah I have a lot of images on my Blackberry. But that's pretty much it. I did the pull and everything was fixed so thank you guys for that. You recommend keeping as much off the Blackberry's actual memory disk? In that case I'll just buy a memory card. Thank you for your advice guys!
    07-26-09 02:06 AM
    I've only had the Blackberry for a week, how come the application memory went down so quick, are there any ramifications to this? and are there any ways to prevent it from happening.
    If you have almost nothing installed on your phone and it keeps giving you that message then you could always take it back to the store and have them swap it out for another, too. There could be something wrong with it. Mine has never been so severe as to give me that message (though I don't have very much on it... E-Mobile Pro and three themes)...
    07-26-09 02:07 AM
    Yeah I have a lot of images on my Blackberry. But that's pretty much it. I did the pull and everything was fixed so thank you guys for that. You recommend keeping as much off the Blackberry's actual memory disk? In that case I'll just buy a memory card. Thank you for your advice guys!
    Yep, memory card is definitely worth it and the Bold can hold a huge one. I have a 16gig and TONS of pictures on that.
    07-26-09 02:08 AM
    I had 150 high definition photos. And like 4-5 apps. Question: when you download an app from appworld is there an installer to delete afterwards? This might also be taking up room.

Another question: Do you know any cheap places to get memory cards? I thought 16 gigs are like super expensive? And are all memory cards compatible with the blackberry?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it [:.
    07-26-09 02:12 AM
    I had 150 high definition photos. And like 4-5 apps. Question: when you download an app from appworld is there an installer to delete afterwards? This might also be taking up room.

Another question: Do you know any cheap places to get memory cards? I thought 16 gigs are like super expensive? And are all memory cards compatible with the blackberry?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it [:.
    Your pictures were probably what was doing it. There aren't any installers to delete afterwards.

Check Amazon for memory cards. I paid $59 for my 16gig, but that was about six months ago so they might be cheaper now. I just went on to Amazon and you could get an 8gig from Sandisk for $22.00 and a 16gig for around $50. As long as the memory card is a microSD card it will be compatible with the Blackberry.

And don't say sorry for asking questions. We've all been there at one time or another.
    07-26-09 02:18 AM
    You might wanna install quickpull if you need to pull your battery often.

It simulates battery pull without you actually pulling the battery.

QuickPull - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    07-26-09 04:48 AM
    Your Bold also comes with 1GB device memory that is separate from the 128MB system memory. If that's where your pictures are, the SD card may not help much. The good news is that if that's not where they are, you can put them there while you shop for a memory card. I bought a handful of 8GB Sandisk microSD cards for $20 a piece at a local computer store, so shop around. You really don't need to pay a fortune for them. Here are some tips for keeping your memory in good shape:

1. Keep all pictures, movies, audio files, etc. on a memory card.
    2. Make sure to properly close apps when you're not using them. Many apps don't close when you press the esc/back button. To see what's running in the background still, press alt+back (or hold the menu button on newer OS versions).
    3. Upgrade to a newer OS. Some of the older versions had memory issues that have been addressed in more recent versions. 4.6.0.247, .266, and .282 are all nice and stable.
    4. Make sure the apps you do have are not set to make a lot of info available off-line. Viigo is an example of an app that does this. It will download data in the background so it's available more quickly when you open the app. The speed is nice but the loss in memory as it downloads stuff behind the scenes is not so nice. Check all the sttings in your apps to avoid this kind of memory usage.
    5. Delete all apps and themes you don't need. There's a whole lot of stuff a BlackBerry needs to cram into a tight space, so keep that space free of unused/unecessary stuff.
    6. Clear your log file once every few weeks. It's just a text file so it's not huge, but it does grow slowly as your device keeps performing actions to log. Get to it by holding Alt and typing LGLG. Press menu and choose delete.
    7. Make sure you have your memory cleaner set to run while the phone is not in use, or run it manually from time to time.
    8. Delete email with attachments.
    9. Clear the cache in the browser from time to time. Open the browser, press S, choose Cache Operations.

If you do all that, battery pulls should not be necessary. I have about 20 apps on my phone and one 3rd party theme, and I keep about 40MB of memory free pretty much constantly. I nearly never reboot this thing. Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 05:16 AM
    upgrade your os

and its the application memory not the device memory
    07-26-09 09:13 AM
    Your Bold also comes with 1GB device memory that is separate from the 128MB system memory. If that's where your pictures are, the SD card may not help much. The good news is that if that's not where they are, you can put them there while you shop for a memory card. I bought a handful of 8GB Sandisk microSD cards for $20 a piece at a local computer store, so shop around. You really don't need to pay a fortune for them. Here are some tips for keeping your memory in good shape:

1. Keep all pictures, movies, audio files, etc. on a memory card.
    2. Make sure to properly close apps when you're not using them. Many apps don't close when you press the esc/back button. To see what's running in the background still, press alt+back (or hold the menu button on newer OS versions).
    3. Upgrade to a newer OS. Some of the older versions had memory issues that have been addressed in more recent versions. 4.6.0.247, .266, and .282 are all nice and stable.
    4. Make sure the apps you do have are not set to make a lot of info available off-line. Viigo is an example of an app that does this. It will download data in the background so it's available more quickly when you open the app. The speed is nice but the loss in memory as it downloads stuff behind the scenes is not so nice. Check all the sttings in your apps to avoid this kind of memory usage.
    5. Delete all apps and themes you don't need. There's a whole lot of stuff a BlackBerry needs to cram into a tight space, so keep that space free of unused/unecessary stuff.
    6. Clear your log file once every few weeks. It's just a text file so it's not huge, but it does grow slowly as your device keeps performing actions to log. Get to it by holding Alt and typing LGLG. Press menu and choose delete.
    7. Make sure you have your memory cleaner set to run while the phone is not in use, or run it manually from time to time.
    8. Delete email with attachments.
    9. Clear the cache in the browser from time to time. Open the browser, press S, choose Cache Operations.

If you do all that, battery pulls should not be necessary. I have about 20 apps on my phone and one 3rd party theme, and I keep about 40MB of memory free pretty much constantly. I nearly never reboot this thing. Good luck and enjoy your new phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Great post... very informative and you mentioned things that I know about but forgot to include.
    07-26-09 02:31 PM
    07-26-09 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD