06-08-09 10:25 PM
49 12
tools
    I've been quite amazed at how slow my BlackBerry Bold's browser has been while connected to a Wi-Fi network (my home connection, 10mbps down 1mbps up), but when I turn OFF Wi-Fi and browse while on 3G, the speed is much faster!

This doesn't make any sense to me... a buddy of mine who has an iPhone has MUCH faster speeds while on Wi-Fi.

What gives? Is it just the poor quality BlackBerry browser?
    12-09-08 08:47 PM
    I've been quite amazed at how slow my BlackBerry Bold's browser has been while connected to a Wi-Fi network (my home connection, 10mbps up 1mbps down), but when I turn OFF Wi-Fi and browse while on 3G, the speed is much faster!

This doesn't make any sense to me... a buddy of mine who has an iPhone has MUCH faster speeds while on Wi-Fi.

What gives? Is it the BB Browser that is just poor quality?
    Wow. That doesn't make sense. When you connect to wifi, are you you switching to the hotspot browser? I wasn't at first and when I started I was amazed at the speed.
    12-09-08 08:49 PM
    Don't know how to answer that question - but my wifi is lightning fast, much faster than my 3G. Like, a HUGE difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 08:50 PM
    I don't have a hotspot browser...
    12-09-08 08:50 PM
    When you launch the browser while connected to wifi, does it say 3g in the corner or Wifi?

If it says 3g you are not actually browsing with wifi.
    12-09-08 08:55 PM
    It says Wi-Fi when I'm on Wifi, and 3G when I turn WiFi off.
    12-09-08 08:56 PM
    is it ur wifi?
    maybe u dling something?
    12-09-08 08:57 PM
    I'm stumped on this one.

I don't know what else to try...maybe my router is incompatible or something. Anyways, thanks for the replies. I'll try resetting all of the settings on my router.
    12-09-08 09:03 PM
    i feel the same way, I don't think my Bold uses the WiFi even when i'm on it. I'll be on my WiFi and if I move into my living room where I don't get any phone signal service then the browser stops working. It's also extremely slow. I've tried getting on various wifi networks in various locations and the speeds are always slower or equal to my 3g service...I'm not happy about it, my iPhone would FLY on wifi.
    12-09-08 10:20 PM
    i think the browser is slow on Wifi too.. I hate to say it but my WinMo device flys on Wifi too. Is this just a case of the browser being the bottle neck?
    12-10-08 12:00 AM
    I too am finding that my wifi is slow. Also I am seeing that every once in a while my wifi will not connect, instead I have the 3g icon in the upper corner, and my wifi is working just fine. I know because my lap top in on the same router and it has great reception there.
    12-10-08 12:19 AM
    Weird...I have a "wi-fi" icon and a 3g icon when I'm connected, even using a hotspot browser.

12-10-08 01:33 AM
    Is the 'wifi' logo grey (bb wifi turned on, but not actually on wifi) or black and white (connected to wifi)?
    If you're definitely connected to your wifi, then it's likely that your wifi/router isn't compatible with the bold - a lot of people get poor or no wifi connection due to this. My old bluetooth headset doesn't work with the bold. The price of tech progress...

12-10-08 02:17 AM
    I'm posting via wifi from my att bold. I have my mobile network connection to off so I know I'm not using 3G, and my wifi connection to on therefore I know I'm only online using wifi. I have .190 on my phone and wifi is lightning quick.

I have a linksys router with the up to date firmware for it.

Last edited by pinoi; 12-10-08 at 02:35 AM.
    12-10-08 02:26 AM
    In "Manage Connections" the SSID should show up next to the Wifi connection. If not, your wifi is on but it's not actually connected.
    12-10-08 02:26 AM
    Browsing through wifi is much faster for me. I have an "N" router at home. I even noticed a big difference when listening to podcasts on berrytunes between wifi and 3g...
    12-10-08 08:04 AM
    my wi-fi seems to work fine. it does not show the 3G when i'm using my wi-fi
    12-10-08 08:29 AM
    OK, so I between the time I posted my response earlier and this post, I upgraded my Bold's OS from 167 to 190.

WOW! Big change in WiFi browsing as far as I can tell. Of course it could just be all in my head but I don't think so..

To me, it's the first time I have used the Bold on WiFi and saw any sort of decent speed.

So, the geek in me wants to nail down something to explain this..

I would be curious to see if those that have crappy WiFi browsing speeds are using a Bold OS other than 190.

So, we can start to see if this is an OS related thing, can all of you that posted with good or bad speeds in this thread please reply with your OS version?
    12-10-08 11:59 AM
    Mine was the same, fast, on both .167 and .185.
    12-10-08 12:02 PM
    Never ran a version lower than .190 so I couldn't say, but my Wifi has always been pretty good.
    12-10-08 12:32 PM
    I am using Rogers .162 and my wifi is crazy fast.
    12-10-08 03:24 PM
    I ran these tests on time to load these pages. I cleared all cache before starting each test:

With WiFi on, Mobile network off:
    google.com 4 seconds
    yahoo.com 9 seconds
    mobile.blackberry.com 4 seconds
    cnn.com 7 seconds

With 3G on, WiFi off:
    google.com 7 seconds
    yahoo.com 10 seconds
    mobile.blackberry.com 7 seconds
    cnn.com 9 seconds

See this thread I posted earlier today. Would love to know if there are speed tests available or any of your comments: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/dat...speeds-112828/
    12-10-08 04:12 PM
    It seems like your test websites are pretty data-lite though.

You might want to try some heavier pages where wifi data transfer would benefit.
    12-10-08 04:16 PM
    I was having a very similar problem. My wifi signal was black and white but whenever I went into the browser, it would come up 3g. I tried turning off the mobile network and it said it couldn't connect at all. I restarted my phone and then moved to another location in my house and the wifi worked fine. Can't say for sure if it was the location change or the phone restart (I tend to leave it on for days and days and days) that fixed it.
    12-11-08 06:56 PM
    no, wifi is faster than anything else.
    12-11-08 07:06 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD