Glad you started this topic, cuz my ptnr and I were comparing notes on bandwidth speed -- iphone versus my bold. Iphone kicking **** on wifi. I'm on os .210. When I'm farthest from my Linksys router (like in the guest room) the cnet bandwidth test comes out to between 730 and 801 Kbps. In the same room as the router, it's 1,143 kbps.

Was also wondering if encryption may slow it down? Router's using 64-bit wep.
    12-13-08 10:27 AM
    Browsing through wifi is much faster for me. I have an "N" router at home. I even noticed a big difference when listening to podcasts on berrytunes between wifi and 3g...
    Same here i use the Netgear DG834N and i have a 18mb down and 2mb up line connected in my house and compared to my 3G browsing...my wifi is super super fast just like it is on my laptop.

Need to really find out why my 3G browsing is so dog slow...i mean it does load up pages but it takes its time. Going to have to ring my provider up and find out why that is because on my HTC Touch Diamond that i had before my Bold...the 3G was pretty fast...but on the bold its a bit slow and im using both the bb browser and the new opera mini...no big difference between the 2.
    12-13-08 10:37 AM
    I'm on att. I have Manage Connections/Mobile Network OFF, WiFi ON.
    And browser configured to hotapot. When I connect to my home wifi, the att at the top of the page is replaced with Linksys, and the grey wifi logo in the upper right. 3G does not show up. These configurations result in a fast connection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

12-13-08 11:02 AM
    I have the same problem. Doesn't matter what browser I am using, Internet or Hotspot browser, when using WIFI it takes longer to load a page then it takes over 3G. It's really bad!

Then, under Advanced Options -> Host Routing Table, I found an entry for Wifi wich points to rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443/193.109.81.88:443

Can it be that all Wifi data traffice is routed through this server and cause the slow speed?

Does anybody else have a similar routing table entry?

Thanks...

Daniel
    01-13-09 01:29 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Loading www.crackberry.com takes the better part of a minute or more to load while connected via my home wifi.
    01-13-09 01:36 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Loading www.crackberry.com takes the better part of a minute or more to load while connected via my home wifi.
    Well, I noticed that www.crackberry.com is not the most mobile browser friendly web page. It's a very complex HTML structure with loads of images.

In most cases, when using 3G it even cracks my BlackBerry, ie the browser just dies with an uncaught exception.
    01-13-09 01:40 PM
    Well, I noticed that www.crackberry.com is not the most mobile browser friendly web page. It's a very complex HTML structure with loads of images.

In most cases, when using 3G it even cracks my BlackBerry, ie the browser just dies with an uncaught exception.
    Thats exactly why I used it to test if wifi is working. A previous poster was testing with google, yahoo, mobile.blackberry isn't going to push the limit with data intensive pages. If you use a wifi connection it shouldn't matter how much data is on the page because the phone isn't limited like it is over 3G...is it?
    01-13-09 02:11 PM
    Thats exactly why I used it to test if wifi is working. A previous poster was testing with google, yahoo, mobile.blackberry isn't going to push the limit with data intensive pages. If you use a wifi connection it shouldn't matter how much data is on the page because the phone isn't limited like it is over 3G...is it?
    The Bold's processor is fast enough for such a job. I think it's just a very bad implementation of Wifi. I don't think it's a hardware problem but a firmware issue.

I just did a test loading crackberry.com via my iPhone Wifi with Safari: The whole page with all pictures etc was loaded in 45 seconds.

The Bold needed 78 seconds.

Both are connected exactly to the same wireless router.

It's quite disappointing since the Bold itself is a create device!
    01-13-09 02:19 PM
    The Bold's processor is fast enough for such a job. I think it's just a very bad implementation of Wifi. I don't think it's a hardware problem but a firmware issue.
    It's not a bad implementation of wifi, the browser sucks at rendering speed for pretty much any javascript heavy pages. If you were using the same browser on both devices and the Bold was slower, then it might be a bold wifi issue.

You both are forgetting that connection speed isn't even the largest factor when it comes to rendering speed on certain pages. The connection speed for mobile devices often IS NOT the bottleneck... Amount of data and what the data consists of are two different things.
    Last edited by papped; 01-13-09 at 02:37 PM.
    01-13-09 02:32 PM
    It's not a bad implementation of wifi, the browser sucks at rendering speed for pretty much any javascript heavy pages. If you were using the same browser on both devices and the Bold was slower, then it might be a bold wifi issue.

You both are forgetting that connection speed isn't even the largest factor when it comes to rendering speed on certain pages. The connection speed for mobile devices often IS NOT the bottleneck... Amount of data and what the data consists of are two different things.
    So how do you explain those results then:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/pos...-if-any-66411/

?? How come that with JavaScript switched on the Bold is slower on Wifi than on 3G (which was my initial point)?? How can that be related to the browser implementation? I could only think of a crappy thread model that screws up under Wifi when data is being loaded fast and too many threads are being started which results in many context switches and then decreses the overall performance. Should that be the case, the developer responsible for this implementation at RIM should be fired since this is would be really poor software engineering!
    01-13-09 02:53 PM
    Look at what you posted right after that line I quoted...

I just did a test loading crackberry.com via my iPhone Wifi with Safari: The whole page with all pictures etc was loaded in 45 seconds.

Call me crazy, but that looks like you're comparing the Bold rendering speed to the iPhone 3g. I didn't go back to prior pages to see if you were referencing some other facts that sure aren't listed in that post. What does the iPhone 3g have to do with a Bold only test, 3g vs wifi?
    01-13-09 03:07 PM
    Call me crazy, but that looks like you're comparing the Bold rendering speed to the iPhone 3g. I didn't go back to prior pages to see if you were referencing some other facts that sure aren't listed in that post. What does the iPhone 3g have to do with a Bold only test, 3g vs wifi?
    Ok then in summary and short: The BlackBerry Bold's Wifi implementation (and maybe to some extend the browser as well) is rather poor and not appropriate for a device as it is. And I think many agree and RIM should action on it.
    01-13-09 03:10 PM
    Here's my example....I normally use wifi around the house and it's damned fast. Sunday I'm laying on the couch, watching football, and cruising this site. All of a sudden it starts going real slooooow. I checked the PC and it was my connection at the house that was slow. Nothing to do with the phone. The non-WAP Crackberry site is just terrible on the phone. Now, since the OP bailed before we had more info, we have no idea if the iPhone being faster is even relevant. And as the OP stated, it might be something in the wifi setup. As far as this forum goes, I think wifi is the hardest single item to resolve since there are so many variables that have nothing to do with the phone (routers, security, network speed, connection type, etc).
    01-13-09 03:16 PM
    A few days back I did a test on Wifi on crackberry.com, 68s to load.
    Today I did the test on Wifi on crackberry.com, 120s to load.

Now either the Bold browser randomly decided to double the loading time or the wifi network is being slower. Considering wifi networks are generally shared and tend to vary, I think the latter being a factor is a definite possibility.
    01-13-09 03:19 PM
    A few days back I did a test on Wifi on crackberry.com, 68s to load.
    Today I did the test on Wifi on crackberry.com, 120s to load.

Now either the Bold browser randomly decided to double the loading time or the wifi network is being slower. Considering wifi networks are generally shared and tend to vary, I think the latter being a factor is a definite possibility.
    It's a possibility but rather unlikely when we are talking about home, privately owned Wifi networks. I don't share mine with anybody and it has a pretty constant speed including the external connection via my ISP.

I am convinced that the problems do not lie with the routers or ISPs but with Bold's Wifi implementation.
    01-13-09 03:22 PM
    If that's the case then nobody can load crackberry.com faster on wifi than on 3g.

01-13-09 03:26 PM
    If that's the case then nobody can load crackberry.com faster on wifi than on 3g.
    I think that is a too general argument, though. As I said, have a look at the link posted above. That shows pretty good test results conducted by the founder of this crackberry.com!
    01-13-09 03:29 PM
    Switching from .167 to .216 sped up the wifi nicely. With .167 3G was about equal in speed.

01-13-09 03:30 PM
    Yet another skewing factor, javascript speed enhancements in different os builds.

From a brief look, those results were posted on 8/29/08. I wonder how old of a OS build that was...
    01-13-09 03:32 PM
    Hey guys, just joined now. Total crackberry since i got my Bold! Just to say i've been thourgh 3 OSs since I got my Bold, im on that latest leaked one at the moment and the WIFI is still pretty bad, it has never significantly improved. Its very slow to load most web pages, and i get a better signal through 3g. Problem is my 3g signal is prettty bad in my house as well, much better in town though. I've always had history with my internet connection though, tis a bit **** at the best of times but nothing as slow as the BB seems to imply
    04-20-09 06:30 PM
    I'm wondering with folks that are running slow on wifi, I wonder what type of encryption they run on their access point. At work we have some access points that are running WEP and the Bold runs fast. At home with WPA active it's slow. I wonder if the higher encryption is causing the Bold to choke.

04-20-09 09:26 PM

It's quite disappointing since the Bold itself is a create device!
    You are comparing Safari to a homebrew RIM browser? It's no comparison. BB browser just isn't that great. Try Opera on your BB instead (still wont be as good as Safari on the iPhone but better)

I have used both phones with a love hate relationship. The browser on the iPhone is the only thing I've missed.

For the OP, make sure your default browser is set to Hotspot and not MediaNet. Also you can turn off the 3G connection under 'Manage Connections' if there is any doubt to which route you are getting on the web with. I totally agree that RIM makes this more confusing than they have to.
    05-29-09 12:57 PM
    I'm wondering with folks that are running slow on wifi, I wonder what type of encryption they run on their access point. At work we have some access points that are running WEP and the Bold runs fast. At home with WPA active it's slow. I wonder if the higher encryption is causing the Bold to choke.

That definitely is not the issue...

I run WPA2 exclusively at home with zero issues. Maybe if your router sucks it could be a problem...
    05-29-09 01:01 PM
    I know this is an old thread, but I have another suggestion that might help someone else along the way.

I was having the same problem with wifi being slower than 3g. When I'd run speedtest, sometimes it would time out on wifi. Other times, it would run slow/fast/slow/fast...etc. Very frustrating, as I had no problems with my other laptops and devices on my wifi.

I just did a firmware upgrade to my router and, what do you know...runs faster. No more long delays or timeouts, consistently faster connection, etc.

So if anyone else has the problem, give that a shot.

As an aside, I still don't understand why my download speed on the BB, while faster than 3g now, still is only about 25% of my normal download speeds on my other laptops.
    06-08-09 10:25 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD