Hello Everyone.

I begin to dislike my Bold harder and harder, because the Wi-Fi freaking drops connection every 10 seconds.

I had a Nokia 5800 before, and he had no problem with Wi-Fi, I was constantly online, could use Palringo with no problems...

Now with my Bold, connection keeps dropping, I can't even read my mails on LogicMail, because when I do that connection drops and I have to reset my bold with QuickPull.

Does anyone have a solution?

I have set my router to Wireless G only allready, but it doesn't help.

I also have put my Bold next to the router and it shows only 4 of the 5 bars of connection.
    06-16-09 08:36 AM
    I have never seen a more finicky wireless device in my life. When it works, the Bold's WiFi is great. When it doesn't, it just pisses me off. I have just learned to accept the crap wifi radio because the rest of the device is really great. I don't know what to tell you. I know that reseting the router seems to help. I mean, I don't have to do this for any other wifi device in my house, but I do for the Bold. Other than that, well, good luck.
    06-16-09 12:22 PM
    thats odd. my bold never has a wifi problem, yes it seems like it always has a weaker signal but mine doesn't ever disconnect or anything, ive been attached to 20+ wirelesl access points. perhaps its your os. try doing a os wipe and re-install maybe?
    06-16-09 12:30 PM
    perhaps its your os. try doing a os wipe and re-install maybe?
    Normally I would not agree, however I suddenly began having similar issues and when I reinstalled the OS (different reason), everything has worked great.
    06-16-09 12:32 PM
    Have my phone synced to like 8-9 routers and not once has it lost connection,are you sure its not the router losing connection with the isp?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-16-09 01:19 PM
    What's the best OS for bold to eliminate the wifi problem any thoughts ?

06-16-09 01:27 PM
    I'm using .266, but had the same problem with .246 or whatever it was. I know, there's going to be 50 people say that the problem is me, or my router, or my internet connection, etc. I'm not buying it. I've never had a single problem with any other wireless device connecting to this router. I don't have the aweful disconnects as described by the OP, but I do have inconsistant connection problems that only seem to be resolved with a reset of my router. Please note, none of the other devices connected (wired or wireless) to the router are having problems, only the Bold.

All this said, I didn't buy the Bold for WiFi. It is a plus and I wish it worked better, but it isn't a show stopper for me.
    06-16-09 04:24 PM
    No problem with WiFi.Never!

06-16-09 04:56 PM
    I'm using .266, but had the same problem with .246 or whatever it was. I know, there's going to be 50 people say that the problem is me, or my router, or my internet connection, etc. I'm not buying it. I've never had a single problem with any other wireless device connecting to this router. I don't have the aweful disconnects as described by the OP, but I do have inconsistant connection problems that only seem to be resolved with a reset of my router. Please note, none of the other devices connected (wired or wireless) to the router are having problems, only the Bold.

All this said, I didn't buy the Bold for WiFi. It is a plus and I wish it worked better, but it isn't a show stopper for me.
    If resetting your router fixes the issue then its probably not the bold causing the issue. Try doing a firmware upgrade on your router. Could be older firmware and its getting confused with so many devices attached. Router reboots to fix an issue is not the device's fault its the routers fault, ensure all you settings in your router are correct as well. Maybe even try to reserve an ip for your bold so it pulls the same one from your router everytime.
    06-16-09 07:38 PM
    Hello Everyone.

I begin to dislike my Bold harder and harder, because the Wi-Fi freaking drops connection every 10 seconds.

I had a Nokia 5800 before, and he had no problem with Wi-Fi, I was constantly online, could use Palringo with no problems...

Now with my Bold, connection keeps dropping, I can't even read my mails on LogicMail, because when I do that connection drops and I have to reset my bold with QuickPull.

Does anyone have a solution?

I have set my router to Wireless G only allready, but it doesn't help.

I also have put my Bold next to the router and it shows only 4 of the 5 bars of connection.
    Ok wait 4-5 bars thats not WIFI, thats the 3g or Edge network.

Now for WIFI ... make sure your not using WEP encryption as the BOLD hates WEP encryption .... i repeat the BOLD hates WEP encryption.

Now use WPA or WPA-PSK encryption .... i use WPA-PSK encryption its the strongest you will get on any good router that supports it, except yes there is a new encryption WPA-PSK2, but not many routers or devices support it yet.

WEP cause the bold to disconnect and reconnect WEP is for older devices, i mean older devices like OLD devices.... lol

Remember the bold is made for advanced security features, just remember that.

Now if you run WPA-PSK or WPA and rebot your router see if that works as i run .266 vodafone OS and even before this OS i was running the stock Rogers OS .167 or .162 i forget which, but it was something like those ones... and never ever had any WIFI issues, except when the phone had to be rebooted cause of removing some apps .... WIFI is picky to pick-up at first and at this point i just shut WIFI off and turn it back on and about 3-5 min its backup and running again .. this only occurs once in a blue moon, other then that its 98% up all the time.
    06-16-09 07:46 PM
    I really hate to beat a dead horse....but....

1) I have the latest firmware loaded on my router (reitterate that I don't have any problems with ANY OTHER wireless devices that connect to the router)

2) I am using WPA-PSK

3) I am on BB OS ver. .266

I hear what you all are saying. I would probably be saying the same thing if I was in your place. The fact is, I can't explain it but to say that in MY Bold, the WiFi radio sucks. I'm not saying that yours sucks. The range is horrendous and it randomly it won't connect to BIS even though it says it is connected to the router. A reset of the router fixes this. Trust me, I'm tried tweaking evey setting on the router to allow the Bold to connect to a wide open internet connection. Who knows, maybe ASUS routers aren't compatable with BB Bolds. I have no clue on that one. I'm not going to sweat it though. Like I said, I can live with limited WiFi on my phone.
    06-17-09 04:28 PM
    running .266 and wifi worls great, I've had my bold tethered wit my comp up to 2hrs without any issues
    06-17-09 05:25 PM
    Its possible the Asus router maybe incompatible with the BB, i use a D-Link 2310 router bought it about 3-4 months ago and it works fine no issues, except what i mentioned which is not a real big issue, only when i have to reboot phone for removing certain apps that the BB does not connect right away or so forth.
    06-17-09 06:49 PM
    many routers have problems with mobile phones, especially blackberries.
    06-17-09 07:28 PM
    It's probably your router compatibility.

I can connect to wifi on multiple hotspots for long periods of time just fine.
    06-17-09 07:38 PM
    Funny mine works with any Router and WEP with no problems. I connect to a Actiontec from verizon in my house and I could get a signal down the block with 266. I am even picking up my neighbor's router which is not protected when I am in my house or outside.

06-17-09 07:48 PM
    Never had any trouble staying connected at home or the office.

06-17-09 07:56 PM
    I have a WiFi issue with my bold as well, i have tried every firmware released including the 5.0 ones. I currently am using .266 and i have a horrible time keeping wifi connection. I know its not my setup because my curve keeps perfect connection. I detect the network but i never get the solid wifi logo, and if i do its only for a few seconds before i loose it again....

wish this would work
    06-17-09 10:05 PM
    WiFi on the Bold seems to be a hit and miss proposition. Some people have no problems and some have all kinds of problems. My first Bold had a WiFi radio that took a crap, and I had to get a new Bold. The new one has been much better (running .266), but after I upgraded the firmware on my Actiontec router, it has worked flawlessly. And yes, I use WPA-PSK security. I'm afraid there is no one, simple answer. Just try the various suggestions that have been offered. Good luck.
    06-17-09 10:25 PM
    .266 here. Connect to Open, WEP, WPA connections all over the place all the time with no hassel. Stays connected in my office for 8 hours a day while I am there no problem. Sounds like something to do with your device dood.

06-18-09 01:37 AM
    I am also having connection issue's. My first Bold worked fine on any wifi connection but now this one is crap. I can't send bbm's, pin's or read my emails once its connected. I hope there is a fix for this soon.
    06-20-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD