OK, here's something I can't find the answer to anywhere:

I successfully set up the Wi-Fi connection between my Bold and my home access point WITH the SIM card inside, but when I take out the SIM (BB is unlocked), nothing else changed, while I still appear connected to my AP, I get no access to the internet (WiFi icon is gray, un-highlighted, and in the Connections menu I don't get the green "checked" sign next to my Wi-Fi connection, just a horizontal line). What gives?

- The phone is unlocked (in the MEPD menu everything is DISABLED)
    - "Data Services" is ON in the "Mobile Network" menu
    - Wi-Fi connection is ON, connected to my AP, but no checked sign next to my WiFi connection, just a horizontal whiteline
    - Wi-Fi icon on the right upper corner appears gray, un-highlighted
    - every application signals that there is NO access to the internet, e-mails don't work

WHY? WHY? WHY? HOW can I fix this?
    01-22-09 08:03 PM
    I do believe you need your SIM card inserted for the phone to work regardless if it is locked or not...
    01-22-09 08:07 PM
    It doesn't matter if it has no SIM inside or different SIMS.
    Same thing happens with with a different SIM, that has only voice but no data plan. Why this? Shouldn't the Wi-Fi work regardless of the SIM card and it's data plan?
    01-22-09 08:22 PM
    It doesn't matter if it has no SIM inside or different SIMS.
    Same thing happens with with a different SIM, that has only voice but no data plan. Why this? Shouldn't the Wi-Fi work regardless of the SIM card and it's data plan?
    No, SIM + WiFi = working.. no sim no working... may be a service book issue.

Yet, you can turn off your mobile network, and then set your browsers default to hotspot and that would work.. Works for me at least
    Last edited by evrydayzawrkday; 01-23-09 at 12:55 AM.
    01-23-09 12:51 AM
    OK, I understand:

- WiFi + data plan registered 3G network SIM = working (highlighted WIFI icon in the right upper corner, e-mails transfer, everything OK)
    - WiFi + no SIM = "no working" (connection to the WiFi spot succesfull, e-mails don't transfer)
    - WiFi + no data plan, 3G type network SIM = "no working" (same as with no SIM)
    - WiFi + any other 3G SIM = still "no working" (same as above)

BTW, it behaved the same thing on my previous BB version (4.6.0.190) and also on my current upgraded OS v4.6.0.216 (Platform 4.0.0.183)

I set the browser config. to "Hotspot" and now I can succesfully browse the internet ONLY with the BB Browser exclusevely, but still can't get e-mails to work, and other applications can't access the internet, the Wi-Fi icon is still gray, no check-sign next to the Wi-Fi connection, still I seem to be connected to my WiFi spot, but no data acces?

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Steven Kain
    01-23-09 05:13 AM
    01-23-09 05:16 AM
    OK, I read in the F.A.Q. saying that some (most) applications require to have a SIM with a data plan in order to access the internet via the Wi-Fi connection.
    This would explain everything I asked but is there NO WAY around it? A hack or a fix? This seems very unpractical and unfair since I have an unlocked BB Bold.
    Can't I even get my personal POP3 e-mails via Wi-Fi without a data planed SIM? Even with an unlocked BB phone?

Steven Kain
    01-23-09 06:53 AM
    Do you believe for a second that manufacturers will provide you with tools that may reduce their sales/profit?
    01-23-09 07:01 AM
    Dear Pisulo,

Thank you for your wisdom. The intellectual part of me realizes you are right, but my sentimental ego still hopes that somebody, as much pissed off as I am right now, already found a solution for this.
    Respect to anybody who hacked this limiting, unfair factor in this wonderful phone, and please let us know also.

Best regars,
    Steven Kain
    01-23-09 07:44 AM
    The fact that you have an unlocked device is not relevant to your issue. Unlocked only allows a non-branded SIM card to be used. The Blackberry operating system is what limits the data applications that you wish to use.
    I suggest you use the browser to check your email via the web based sites offered for the email. Gmail, yahoo mail, msn hotmail etc. Other than that alternative, with no SIM & an authorized data plan, the Blackberry services shall remain unavailable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 08:18 AM
    So what you are saying, gaganchow , is that it is PURELY software related, more exactly the problem (and therefore the solution) is in the BB OS ?

This is great news! So if someone could find the specific module in the BB OS and trick it to make the phone IGNORE trying to verify the data plan from the SIM when a Wi-Fi connection is available, it would actually make the Wi-Fi connection usable?

Are you sure there is no option/workaround already built into the factory OS?
    01-23-09 11:55 AM
    Your main issue is trying to enable some of the features of the device without a registered data plan.
    Most of the data set features require a valid BIS or BES account.
    When you normally have an email account set up on a Blackberry, the data transmitted to & from are via Blackberry's network, not an open stream such as wifi.
    This is why I made the suggestion of using the web-based email programs over the browser while on wifi.
    To the best of my knowledge, Blackberry does not use wifi for its data services & I am not aware of any type of hack regarding this issue.
    There may be some type of third party application for email clients that will work over wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 02:06 PM
    Hello, i know exactly what your talking about stevenkain. the trouble is your carrier will not let go of the nickles and dimes you give them everytime you want to use your network card on your phone. this is how it works...before your allowed to connect to the "home network" you have to touch base with your provider first, regardless of which private network your trying to connect to. this does two things for the carrier. first: they get their nickel and dime of usage if you dont have a data package and second: they can keep you from using your wifi if you refuse the data package. So in order for you to use your network card and surf the net for free you have to give the carrier at least 61k of data transfer each time.
    If you decide to completely block data transmission you cannot at that point send MMS messages and surf on your network. Data can be turned off either on your phone or at their network. So free wifi surfing at home is allowed as long as your willing to pay your carrier.
    07-16-09 01:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD