Ok, I need someone to explain WI-FI to me like I am a two year old. I dont know when or how to use it. Please help!!! Thanks...
    06-08-10 02:26 PM
    I was curious about mine and just tried it for the first time. I only use it on any of my devices when I have no sig as imho V's 3g is just as quick. In options there is a setting for it. Turn it on in "manage connections" .
    06-08-10 02:34 PM
    I was curious about mine and just tried it for the first time. I only use it on any of my devices when I have no sig as imho V's 3g is just as quick. In options there is a setting for it. Turn it on in "manage connections" .
    What happens when you turn it on, how do you know it is working (is it different) - I know I know silly question.
    06-08-10 02:37 PM
    Dude, just turn it on and see. Look for a wifi emblem at the upper right.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 02:40 PM
    do you have wifi in your home?
    06-08-10 02:40 PM
    Yes, you of course need to be in range of a wifi signal. Devil's in the details.
    06-08-10 03:01 PM
    someone enlighten me: if I have a laptop, I can secure it to only log into my home wifi & prevent other wifi networks or even other machines from interacting with it. Out of the house, I want to be more careful cause it's public & I don't want malicious characters having access. How does this translate to wifi on a smartphone? (another newbie, as you can tell) I'm not a corporation, so all the security goodness that goes with BES doesn't apply (afaik).
    06-08-10 03:16 PM
    When you turn wifi on, you'll see the icon on the home screen. If you're getting connection, the left icon stays white & some of the themes will show the wifi address but if you don't have a connection, it's gray. Well, at least that how I tell, maybe some other experts can jump in with more info.
    06-08-10 04:35 PM
    thank you. I'm trying to figure out how to limit my connection to wifi networks I trust (home network, not the neighbors. & I don't want neighbors accessing my phone). & if choosing to connect to any wifi I don't trust while out (starbucks, roaming NYC streets) how to limit accessibility of the data on my phone that should remain private, prevent snoops from intercepting my transmissions/ calls.
    06-08-10 04:42 PM
    thank you. I'm trying to figure out how to limit my connection to wifi networks I trust (home network, not the neighbors. & I don't want neighbors accessing my phone). & if choosing to connect to any wifi I don't trust while out (starbucks, roaming NYC streets) how to limit accessibility of the data on my phone that should remain private, prevent snoops from intercepting my transmissions/ calls.
    It doesn't connect to a network unless you already setup a connection to it. It doesn't automatically connect so there's no way this could happen.

Also calls don't even go over the data network, so that has nothing to do with wifi.

Even if you connected to an "unsafe" wifi network, the only visible data is what you transmit over it (browsing etc), not your actual phone data.
    06-08-10 04:43 PM
    visible data that I transmit: meaning it might include msgs/ texts/ emails (BIS doesn't protect them?) credit card purchases if made via phone / banking using browser (or does one use a secure app instead?), stored content on a website (ie my previous purchases on a shopping site appear in my history when I login.) I guess I'm asking about hips / firewall - controlling what goes out over a public network unencrypted. Is the connection over Sprint 3G safer? Another thing: What prevents rogue sw (a compromised app) from copying data from my financial app & sending it home? or installing a keylogger / screenshot taker that then uses the wireless connection to transmit?
    06-08-10 06:08 PM
    When you are at places you frequent regularly that have WIFI available, you can set set up a profile for that WIFI connection. I have one for my home, work and the PCBC. Once I've created the profile and saved it, the BB will connect to it if I'm in range. Some apps will utilize it and others won't but I find it generally runs faster for many things. It will also minimize your data usage if you're on or thinking about a tiered plan. I wouldn't set up a connection if I was at some random Starbucks that I'm only going to be at for a few minutes.

Go to Manage Connections-> skip Welcome screen and click on Scan For Networks. Select the network you want, enter security info if needed and Save it.
    06-08-10 06:15 PM
    Thank you both! Setting up profiles will help. Sprint Everything Data Plan includes unlimited data, so what I'm trying to learn is how to utilize it safely. During a 2 hour bus commute, I can easily comparison-shop online, then purchase, dl an ebook & start reading it while streaming from Pandora. Much of which requires a wifi connection? what happens when people are delayed at the airport, lookup other flights & book another reservation. Certainly uses a means of payment & there has to be a safe way to do this. Not much difference whether what I transmit wirelessly is my card # or my paypal acct access, which stores this safely for me. Thank you all for your patience with these questions. Is there an area of the site I should look at or some other resource?
    06-08-10 06:30 PM
    visible data that I transmit: meaning it might include msgs/ texts/ emails (BIS doesn't protect them?) credit card purchases if made via phone / banking using browser (or does one use a secure app instead?), stored content on a website (ie my previous purchases on a shopping site appear in my history when I login.) I guess I'm asking about hips / firewall - controlling what goes out over a public network unencrypted. Is the connection over Sprint 3G safer? Another thing: What prevents rogue sw (a compromised app) from copying data from my financial app & sending it home? or installing a keylogger / screenshot taker that then uses the wireless connection to transmit?
    Generally speaking the 3g network is safer than random wifi connections with public networks. Your personal wifi network should be fine *if* you have security setup, otherwise people could just as easily connect to it and sniff packet data going around your personal network.

What prevents a keylogger/spyware app? You and the OS. You would have to install said app and AND it would tell you if it's signed or not (I can't imagine a ton of spyware being signed) AND you would have to allow permissions for it to access various aspects of the phone to do what you are talking about. That's a lot of manually allowing you would personally have to do for that to happen. On top of that, if the app isn't signed it can't use signed api's, which further restricts what it can do.
    06-08-10 06:42 PM
    thank you! I need to find the security setup area here & educate myself so I know what I'm doing.
    06-08-10 07:25 PM
    Maybe Lecture 42 in BB 101 should be how to set up and use WiFi on your device? When I first was learning all things BB, the 101 articles were very helpful!

Mod: hint, hint
    06-08-10 07:37 PM
    Dendrite - Pacific NorWet and Loud today! crack... BOOM
    06-09-10 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD