I've decided that if the iPhone 5 is a big upgrade (slightly larger screen/thinner/slightly different casing, cpu/gpu, camera, etc...) then I will get it. If it's incremental as in just a camera bump, and switch to the A5 chip, then I'm unsure and might get the Bold.

Guess I will see.
    07-20-11 09:55 PM
    I used to think so too. But...not at all any more.

I have had the opportunity lately to buy, try & sell several BB 9700's, a couple of 9780's and a couple of 9000's...and every one, when I tried a test call had a much less clear and clean incoming sound quality than I have on every call, every day on my iPhone 4. I had never had both the BlackBerry and iPhone together to test side by side...and it was a shock.

Frankly, I was disappointed greatly...especially seeing as I used to put down the iPhone as being sub-par in the cellular radio department when I was a real BlackBerry fan.

Like I said earlier...RIM is going to have to "wow" me with the 9900 to have me come back to BlackBerry, and I want to...really. I have really become spoiled though to what Apple has to offer.
    I don't know if it was just the radio in the Tour or what, but coming from a series of past Treos and then WinMo TouchPro 2 to Palm Pre to the Tour, the Tour seemed to do ok with call reception...but then I went to an EVO. Wow. The EVO blows away any phone I've ever had or tried as far as signal strength and call clarity. It holds a 3G signal so well seemingly everywhere I go compared to all of my past phones, including much better reception in buildings where I used to get poor signals - and this is with a ton of business travel all over the U.S. Now that I'm coming up on a year with it, I'd love to try a new Bold 9950 when it comes out, but it would have to impress me a lot as far as signal strength (which I think helps the EVO a lot -the batter has been much better than anticipated, given all that it does using a 4.3 screen). Never lags and has been very stable. The Tour was a disaster with battery pulls, but I'm assuming the new Bolds are well beyond that thing.
    07-20-11 10:01 PM
    I have a sling box w/ dish network, hulu+ ,and netflix accounts and I'm leaning now to a white iphone5. Its just the amazing amounts of high quality multimedia apps the iPhone has to offer that the BB doesn't have. My 9330 still is an awesome phone (my daily driver) I like'em both. Hard decision but what a wonderful time to be a consumer. God bless Cupertino and Waterloo. lol
    07-21-11 01:28 AM
    I used to think so too. But...not at all any more.

I have had the opportunity lately to buy, try & sell several BB 9700's, a couple of 9780's and a couple of 9000's...and every one, when I tried a test call had a much less clear and clean incoming sound quality than I have on every call, every day on my iPhone 4. I had never had both the BlackBerry and iPhone together to test side by side...and it was a shock.

Frankly, I was disappointed greatly...especially seeing as I used to put down the iPhone as being sub-par in the cellular radio department when I was a real BlackBerry fan.

Like I said earlier...RIM is going to have to "wow" me with the 9900 to have me come back to BlackBerry, and I want to...really. I have really become spoiled though to what Apple has to offer.
    I find whenever I am in an area with marginally AT&T service, the iPad loses it's connection more frequently. Voice call quality can be affected by other factors.
    07-21-11 06:03 AM
    I don't even have the 9930 yet and I think my biggest question about it is whether or not I will want the BB QNX touchscreen phone when it comes out in 7 or 8 months over the 9930. I don't think I will initially but I'm sure if their are a ton of cool apps by then and the QNX phone is on point then I might have the urge to get it. Don't know if I will be able to give up on this Bold keyboard though.
    07-21-11 03:44 PM
    The way RIM releases new devices, I'd say you'd be safe to have the Bold 9930 at least one year before we see any QNX device...and If sooner, it'd be a mini-playbook touchscreen. Not even sure if RIM will ever make a combo qwerty keyboard-touchscreen QNX device...also I'd be suprised to even SEE RIM having the BlackBerry next year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 04:14 PM
    I have a 3G iPad and a BB 9700. Based on personal observation the BB has a better radio.
    I said it could be argued either way. My main point was all the other nonsense in they member post.
    07-21-11 04:22 PM
    Am I wrong to suggest that people should just buy a iPod Touch for iOS's multimedia experience and app selection and a BB for battery life, notification customization, and call quality?

Does your application selection get limited with the iPod Touch compared to the iPhone?
    07-21-11 07:15 PM
    Am I wrong to suggest that people should just buy a iPod Touch for iOS's multimedia experience and app selection and a BB for battery life, notification customization, and call quality?

Does your application selection get limited with the iPod Touch compared to the iPhone?
    You're not wrong at all. It is a valid suggestion.

I consider having to carry two devices to be a failure on my part, but that is personal preference.

I assume a Touch will have access to most iOS apps, except those that have to do with telephony.
    07-21-11 07:24 PM

The dual wield setup works for me. You pretty much have access to all the iPhone apps, obviously except for the ones that are designed to be use with a phone. The only other crutch is it's dependency on wifi for data. Most of the apps I use daily (twitter, facebook, news/sports) are available on both platforms so it's not a huge deal for me.
    07-21-11 08:26 PM
    There are several reasons that I will buy the Bold,
    1. Being able to re-send a text, 2. Being able to forward a Text to another person, 3. Being able to easily cut, copy, and paste, 4. Being able to turn off all notifications except Phone calls at night, 5. Being able to answer phone calls with the simple push of a button and end the call the same way. Many other reasons but it is just such a functional communications device.

07-21-11 08:39 PM
    Apps are good. As long as they're truly useful in one way or another. Of course I don't load a bunch of apps on my Enterprise unit regardless. But luckily we have the PlayBook to do much of the framework building so when QNX devices come, things will transition easier.

The platform is out there, developers are getting more intimate with as time progresses. App World has gotten a face lift. In other words already having a QNX device will totally help when it comes to developing for HH's. That is when BB will take it's place in the whole apps race and will definitely be a contender.
    Most general consumers are NOT Enterprise users. Plus the largest economies by population such as China, India is growing and if cost of an iPhone is too high for consumers in those markets to buy, BB will sell. However, if Apple decided to sell their iPhones for a reasonable price in countries like India with a booming middle class, RIMM will be history in the next five years for sure.

Apps are super important in world smartphone market no matter what you say. At the end of the day it is not the government or cooperate workers that decide which company will successful... it is the middle class and upper class consumers that will decide which company will win. With almost ALL useful apps for SOME users like me out of the App World, RIMM will have a hard time pleasing booming markets around the world. What you consider as useful is NOT the same thing for MOST others. Simple as that.

List of apps missing from BB App World that will cost RIMM:
    -thousands of transit apps from around the world including Canadian Calgary Transit (app for Android and iPhone, but not for BB)
    -Security camera apps like Dlink one
    -Stable remote desktop apps
    -hundreds of medical info apps
    -many, many banking apps
    -hundreds of emergency warning system apps (tsunami warning system, etc, etc)
    -hundreds of news apps (NO news launcher is not a news app)
    -hundreds of school apps
    -apps for public library and other public facilities run by govt

-list go on and on and on....

But I am still hooked on BB keyboards. I am looking in to add-on physical keyboards for iPhone5.
    Last edited by mss-ca; 07-21-11 at 09:12 PM.
    07-21-11 09:06 PM
    iPhone and Android both do games, and kids colouring apps way better than Blackberry products too
    That tells you how much you don't know .
    As some one who uses all platforms BB is lagging. All I hear is games games games. please if you truly use Android for business you would not miss a beat other than the physical keyboard.

Like I have mentioned along with others, Android is a lot more capable then games. Only people who don't know how to use the phone think its for games.

There is nothing that a BB can do that android can't do evenly or better, other than the physical design with keyboard.

Push email - check
    push cal, contact - check
    GPS w/ spoken voice -check
    Doc to go - (performs even better on a 4" android with its processing power ) check.
    Twitter - ckeck
    FB - Check
    I can continue. all day.

What can Bb do other OS cant???
    BB messenger
    BES (which is becoming the Achilles heel for Rim)

As much as I love BB design, the OS is **** compared to Android.
    Android a toy no, thinks again.
    07-22-11 12:36 AM
    I love Blackberries but sometimes at work I have down time or I'm waiting on a pt. To get done at the doctors office and I have only my phone with me at those times I want a hand held device that can play tv or a movie from Netflix .Something I haven't already seen before and I think the new iPhone may be the best for me. My wife loves her iPod touch and uses it all the time but doesn't have 3g options . So she has to have wi-fi and I think a sprint iPhone would solve what I want to do with the unlimited data, price, and coverage. Also I don't want to carry around two devices if I can help it.
    07-22-11 12:39 AM
    BTW here is a fun game.
    One of the greatest apps online banking with deposit made from phone.
    I have Direct Deposit but my expense checks are issued. I bank with Chase, Wells and BOF A.

When I only used my BB i had to go to the bank to deposit.
    with my Android I can do it all from my desk top.
    log on-- take a picture of my check - click - deposited. less than 2 min.

Lets see - I just save gas and headache going to the bank to deposit a check.
    That is min of 20 -30 min saved (when you live in the city with traffic from ****) I can do other productive things. Silly android- its a toy....
    07-22-11 12:57 AM
    The dual wield setup works for me. You pretty much have access to all the iPhone apps, obviously except for the ones that are designed to be use with a phone. The only other crutch is it's dependency on wifi for data. Most of the apps I use daily (twitter, facebook, news/sports) are available on both platforms so it's not a huge deal for me.
    Works for me too but my second device is an iPad. I really don't understand why someone would buy a PB instead.
    Last edited by ADGrant; 07-22-11 at 06:13 AM.
    07-22-11 06:08 AM
    That tells you how much you don't know .
    As some one who uses all platforms BB is lagging. All I hear is games games games. please if you truly use Android for business you would not miss a beat other than the physical keyboard.

Like I have mentioned along with others, Android is a lot more capable then games. Only people who don't know how to use the phone think its for games.

There is nothing that a BB can do that android can't do evenly or better, other than the physical design with keyboard.

Push email - check
    push cal, contact - check
    GPS w/ spoken voice -check
    Doc to go - (performs even better on a 4" android with its processing power ) check.
    Twitter - ckeck
    FB - Check
    I can continue. all day.

What can Bb do other OS cant???
    BB messenger
    BES (which is becoming the Achilles heel for Rim)

As much as I love BB design, the OS is **** compared to Android.
    Android a toy no, thinks again.

HOW does that tell you how much I don't know.
    The person said there was only 1 thing iPhones did Better, and I pointed out 2 others that iPhones do MUCH better than RIM
    All the things you list are not "better" on iPhone or Android products. they are in the same field, I didn't discount them as devices as you are attempting to do for Blackberry's but you came here for a fight and I shouldn't even respond.
    07-22-11 06:27 AM
    Honestly, Android is a wonderful OS but, the reliablity isn't there. Yes there are dual-core beast's from the land of the robots, but I love push notifications. RIM are jedi masters of this. Android may get there someday but not yet. Poor battery life is still an issue. The phones are not all made alike. Samsung, HTC, and LG all make android devices. Nothing is in house for Google. Very good OS, but far from perfect. iOS pisses me off, not because it's not good, but the ease of use is almost "too" easy. I like to learn my new phone. I spent less than 24 hours on my iPhone 3GS and had it down, period. By day 3, it was jailbroken and customized LOL. Blackberry is tried and true with me. And I will be going back. Bold 9930 here I come!
    07-22-11 10:50 AM
    This is the only place I have heard people complain about something being "too easy."

How is that a negative? I am honestly curious.
    07-22-11 10:55 AM
    To me it kinda makes you smarter than your smartphone. I look to my Epic as my ally to do things I need to do, or find answers to questions I don't know. Not to look cool, while I listen to music or "claim" to be innovative with years old tech. iOS is good in theory, however I feel like it's not worth doing unless you have to work at it. And iOS is simple and boring to me. Android was a big change from iOS for me. But going from Blackberry to iOS was like taking a step back. I loved my Tour and my Storm before that. Even my Pearl was awesome. But each was a learning experience, and that is what I mean when I say iOS was too easy.
    07-22-11 11:04 AM
    Most general consumers are NOT Enterprise users. Plus the largest economies by population such as China, India is growing and if cost of an iPhone is too high for consumers in those markets to buy, BB will sell. However, if Apple decided to sell their iPhones for a reasonable price in countries like India with a booming middle class, RIMM will be history in the next five years for sure.

Apps are super important in world smartphone market no matter what you say. At the end of the day it is not the government or cooperate workers that decide which company will successful... it is the middle class and upper class consumers that will decide which company will win. With almost ALL useful apps for SOME users like me out of the App World, RIMM will have a hard time pleasing booming markets around the world. What you consider as useful is NOT the same thing for MOST others. Simple as that.

List of apps missing from BB App World that will cost RIMM:
    -thousands of transit apps from around the world including Canadian Calgary Transit (app for Android and iPhone, but not for BB)
    -Security camera apps like Dlink one
    -Stable remote desktop apps
    -hundreds of medical info apps
    -many, many banking apps
    -hundreds of emergency warning system apps (tsunami warning system, etc, etc)
    -hundreds of news apps (NO news launcher is not a news app)
    -hundreds of school apps
    -apps for public library and other public facilities run by govt

-list go on and on and on....

But I am still hooked on BB keyboards. I am looking in to add-on physical keyboards for iPhone5.
    I'm well aware of applications and their importance to the industry and I never said otherwise. I simply said on my Enterprise unit I don't install any that aren't work related. On my personal device however, I have many as the picture shows. Good day.
    07-22-11 11:30 AM
    HOW does that tell you how much I don't know.
    The person said there was only 1 thing iPhones did Better, and I pointed out 2 others that iPhones do MUCH better than RIM
    All the things you list are not "better" on iPhone or Android products. they are in the same field, I didn't discount them as devices as you are attempting to do for Blackberry's but you came here for a fight and I shouldn't even respond.
    your respond is intelligently done buddy
    07-22-11 12:29 PM
    I will be selecting the 9900 over an iPhone or Android because

- Form factor, I like Portrait keyboards
    - THE Keyboard, beyond just liking them, Blackberry's are a joy to use
    - Data compression, Blackberry devices use half the data of the other 2 devices for common daily tasks like IM(through BBM) and emails
    - The Battery, even if Battery life on the 9900 is only as good as my torch, being such a small and removable battery means I can have it charged and ready very quickly
    - Removable media + Mass storage mode
    - BBM, I utalize this hourly, would be very hard to give it up. I don't want to give my phone number out
    - voice/sound clarity, BlackBerry's have been strong in this respect, and the 9900 seems to have taken it up a bit
    -BlackBerry Bridge, BlackBerry Travel, BlackBerry Protect.
    - Light weight over other keyboard devices.

In addition to all the above mentioned facts, Blackberries just feel better. This is the same reason I prefer Porsche sports cars to all others, they feel better in you hands! They have a very unique tactile quality to them.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-22-11 06:32 PM
173 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD