I just returned a samsung galaxy s2 that I bought on monday, to go back to my old curve 8900

great phone, but gimme the impression to be just a toy, like every other touch screen phone, lots of apps that u will never use, and if you do be prepare to recharge battery every 5 hours...

I miss the led, notifications, qwerty, the fact you can handle the phone with just one hand, the simplicity of the BBs

can't wait for 9900 or torch 2, but i'll wait till battery reviews
    07-15-11 07:38 PM
    none of the bling that drives the sales of droid or iphone interest me. I use my phone for little more than bbm/txt, email, and a phone. Aside from BB being my brand of choice since it was my first love, there is nothing i crave from my phone that it does not do.

i would never go iphone because i despise on screen keyboards (even on my baby, playbook)
    07-15-11 08:17 PM
    I'm torn seriously. 9930/Iphone5 both great and awesome phones. What to do ? Apps, versatility vs. Keyboard, form factor
    07-15-11 10:59 PM
    With the cloud you will have one place to sync documents. Make a change on your computer and save it and it will be on your iPhone and iPad.
    You can do this with Dropbox.
    07-15-11 11:17 PM
    I'm getting the 9900.

There are little things that make a huge difference with BB. Things like when I get a call or a message or a email etc, as soon as I pull the phone out of the holster it brings me straight to what I was notified for.

I prefer the notification system.

I prefer the shortcuts.

I prefer answering or ending a call without having to look at the screen.

Now with the addition of tablets, I have gone back to BB. BB really is a more efficient "phone". I use my tablet for the features I used to use on my previous Androids or iPhones.
    gonzo1x and UrbanGlowCam like this.
    07-15-11 11:50 PM
    You can do this with Dropbox.
    Apple - Apple Events - Apple Special Event June 2011

iWork integrates into the cloud. Watch the above video at 91:50 to 94:30 minute mark. Like it or not, iOS is grabbing the business user. This should have been brought to us by RIM.

Dropbox is not the same. It is just a wireless external hard drive. iCloud is built into the applications and automatically grabs and pushes information.
    07-16-11 08:41 AM
    Lost 2 more BBM friends to the iPhone this week. My gf doesn't want a BlackBerry now because she says that none of her friends have one anymore. This is getting very frustrating. I wish this phone was out 6 months ago!!!!!
    07-16-11 01:27 PM
    Q: Why will you choose the Bold 9900/9930 over the iPhone4/5 or newest Android?

A: Because iOS is for children and Android is sh�t.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-11 03:07 PM
    I look at the 9900 and really have to be honest with myself. This is yesterday's technology today. It is not 4G. It does not have a front facing camera. It does not have HDMI/VGA out. You can't hook a bluetooth keyboard up easily to the device.
    Edited for content:
    Everything you list here does not matter to me, yes I know it matters to many but these things are all things I would not use. The iphone is a great phone but I still prefer my bb even though it's one of the most cursed ones other than the storm line. I'm looking forward to the new bold.

I also don't see where the 9900 is yesterdays tech. Sure there are android phones coming out daily with higher specs, maybe that because the software needs those specs to run.

Keep chasing those specs and keep getting further behind or keep spending your money monthly for them.
    07-16-11 03:22 PM
    Q: Why will you choose the Bold 9900/9930 over the iPhone4/5 or newest Android?

A: Because iOS is for children and Android is sh�t.

I see you have a nexus S, what makes you say android is shight?
    07-16-11 03:24 PM
    android is so complicated and unfriendly

if you're a tech guy android is the best option for sure, it's having linux in your cell phone

I personally don't have the time to customize all that options, I just want my mails, contacts, calendar, notes and the few aplications I'm gonna use storaged in an easy way, plus I will never have again a phone that doesnt have physical qwerty
    07-16-11 04:29 PM
    Android is starting to look further and further from the race for me. I really wanted the Droid 3 to do the trick: nice keyboard and an interesting OS.
    Well, perusing the forums gives one the impression that the Droid 3 is full of problems: laggy and/or multiple crashes per day, and it continues with the stunningly poor battery life tradition.

Drats!

So, for me, I am thinking that the only interesting options are the 9930 and the next iPhone.

I do accept that you get a lot of niceness with that iPhone (very nice camera, very nice video, and tight integration with one's computing life.... and nice battery life I suspect, too). Is it all worth the loss of a real keyboard?

It's not just that there is no physical keyboard, but that you also lose those nifty one-handed shortcuts.

Is it worth the loss of the keyboard? I don't know.

I'm thinking that I am going to get my girlfriend the new iPhone just to get some close contact with it.... and see if it is actually useful in real world get-it-done situations.

side note: the rumor mills appear to be drifting toward a late July 9900 release!
    07-16-11 04:42 PM
    If I do choose the 9930 over the iphone it would basically be for the kb. Right now I am thinking of trying the iphone5 and if I don't like it get the 9930.....
    07-16-11 04:45 PM
    Will I buy a 9900 over an iPhone? The answer is simple...no.

I look at the 9900 and really have to be honest with myself. This is yesterday's technology today. It is not 4G. It does not have a front facing camera. It does not have HDMI/VGA out. You can't hook a bluetooth keyboard up easily to the device. No amazing screen. With iPhone you can do all that and more. With the cloud you will have one place to sync documents. Make a change on your computer and save it and it will be on your iPhone and iPad.

Put a few billion to work RIM and start developing something that makes iPhone owners say wow.
    ok, i get that americans want 4G (we dont have it here in the uk, and some even argue you dont really have it) but i doubt the iphone5 will be 4G, so this wouldnt even be a deciding factor in the US.

as for the screen, 287Dpi is a very good clarity, and yes a little off the iPhone, but not by alot, im sure the `average joe` wouldnt be able to tell.

as for something that makes iPhone owners say wow, well from what iv been told, by those very in the know, its coming around Q1 next year.
    07-16-11 05:08 PM
    I've left android for blackberry.. Twice.

I've had both a HTC Incredible (few months, then went back to my 9650), and a HTC Thunderbolt (few months as well, and again went back to my 9650). Both were great phones but after being used to a BlackBerry keyboard there was no way I could go full touch, or any other keyboard slider. I've had 5-6 phones with the slideout keyboard prior to getting my first blackberry (Bold 9000).. BB keyboard is lightyears ahead.

4G on the Thunderbolt was NO JOKE though, I do miss that a lot.. 4G LTE, not the Thunderbolt.
    07-16-11 05:32 PM
    I plan to buy a new generation Bold or torch slider. 1. Virtual keyboards do not work for me. 2. BlackBerry keyboard is the best. 3. I work in Health and my mobile has to be secure, it doesn't matter which way you come from it the others are not secure. 4. I need to be able to side load to my computer because I cannot use cloud storage in any way, again, as it isn't secure, no it isn't. 5. I have to be able to print off my text messages again only via my computer for legal reasons. 6. Most important I need a good quality phone and message service, I can't keep saying "sorry I didn't catch that". I have researched this and no other modern smartphone os will do these things and that includes window phone 7. But BlackBerry can as standard. I don't care for pointless apps that do nothing but massage the ego (just an opinion).
    07-16-11 06:35 PM
    The Main reason I chose 9900 Is
    - BBM _ I have My Android and Iphone
    But it Seem Something Less, When My Friend's ask About Pin.. Then I just Keep Silent and Do nothing,
    SO that why... The main Reason I will Buy 9900 Is Because Blackberry Still Leader with The PIN concept, And Maybe..The application.. And The latest Os 7.0 will run smooth, and Have a lot of Improvement
    - Blackberry also Do as music Player..
    - Games..? i dont really need a game because I'm often Playing game by Phone..
    07-16-11 07:58 PM
    I really need to witness someone who can fly through their Android or iPhone ... especially with the touch keyboard. I know they exist. Surely there are some expert-slabphone users on YouTube. But frankly, I am NOT seeing them in real life.
    I'm watching people use their androids and iPhones like *I* would use them... slowly. Gently locating and carefully tapping each letter like they are trying not to break the egg.

Looking forward to the 9930.
    One word
    Swype!
    07-17-11 11:49 AM
    The only reason I am getting the 9900 is for looks.
    I so wish I could run Android on the Bold.

Come on BB make phones that run Android.
    mssca likes this.
    07-17-11 12:00 PM
    I'm going to buy the iphone 5 1st to try it out and if I don't like it sell it on ebay (high resale value) and then buy the 9930 if the iphone slacking

07-17-11 01:26 PM
    Reasons for getting 9900 are simple: qwerty keyboard, push email and, hopefully, good battery life.

I ditched my HD Desire after 10 days because it's battery life was shocking, typing without a keyboard was frustrating and emails weren't coming through regularly.
    07-17-11 04:05 PM
    because i need keyboard along with touch screen
    DJBS4LIFE likes this.
    07-17-11 04:32 PM
    It's not rocket science. BlackBerrys have an awesome form factor! Can't wait to have the best of both of both worlds with the 9930!!!! Many of my friends cannot wait to switch back to one of the news devices from their iPhones and Androids.
    07-17-11 05:16 PM
    I really need to witness someone who can fly through their Android or iPhone ... especially with the touch keyboard. I know they exist. Surely there are some expert-slabphone users on YouTube. But frankly, I am NOT seeing them in real life.
    I'm watching people use their androids and iPhones like *I* would use them... slowly. Gently locating and carefully tapping each letter like they are trying not to break the egg.
    That's the thing with BlackBerry. It doesn't have the playfulness and distractions of the iPhone UI and apps, but for a proficient user, it can be very satisfying.

What Apple wants and knows how to do, is getting people to use their products. They do this with simplification and an engaging UI. Using an iPhone is like playing a game in itself, just flicking around stuff is fun and gets uninterested people engaged. The single home button is reassuring to a novice, but very limiting to a proficient user. It gets the novice to give the iPhone a try, just as the app store with $1 apps is a nearly risk free, impulse based activity. People have ridiculous hangups about trying new stuff, and Apple is determined to remove them, and they succeed.

With a BlackBerry, the underlying assumption is that the user is motivated to perform some task in the first place and doesn't need to be enticed to do so. Everything is streamlined, or used to be before OS6. No excessive animation, displaying simple icons and plain lists and forms, data compression etc. The user comes already interested in achieving a goal and will learn to do it efficiently, be supported by great battery life and reliable network and voice performance.

RIM has done well with a product aimed at performing work. If one also views managing life and communicating with others as similar to the demands of work, then a BlackBerry is great.

The most pressing problem with current BlackBerrys is performance, especially web browsing. You can fly through your tasks and contacts and then come to a stop when you need to look up something on the web. It's a huge disconnect that RIM hasn't been able to fix with its current hardware and infrastructure.

RIM says it has done just that with upcoming OS 7 devices and I think it really comes down to this aspect. Lots of empty promises makes me very skeptical, but the hardware is a significant jump.
    DJBS4LIFE and sf49ers like this.
    07-17-11 05:17 PM
    Ill buy the 9900 cause the wife says I can. Were a one phone household so we have to both agree.

Were coming from the 9000 btw.

07-17-11 05:17 PM
173 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD