I agree he used to. Now it seems like he favors the iPhone 4 quite a bit and is on a much higher pedestal.

Just hear/read enough on it. Don't need someone who knows so much giving us the skinny about what the iPhone does better. We all hear it way to much as is and now a well respected member seems to put the iPhone on a much higher ground.

Like I said, I would be the loner on this one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I personally just came back to CrackBerry after leaving the BlackBerry platform a little over a year ago so I' definitely haven't been back long enough to notice what you're saying. If someone puts another platform such as iPhone over BlackBerry, I honestly don't have a problem with that. I understand that the boards don't need multiple posts containing points on why iPhone ups BlackBerry, but I haven't picked up on that since I have returned to these boards.
    07-19-11 09:47 PM
    Well then, you can't understand my gripe then....

Welcome back though.

MNotar91 likes this.
    07-19-11 09:50 PM
    Android has way to many vulnerabilities for my taste. I'm not running a virus scanner on my phone at all times. As for iPhone you can't use replacement batteries. I can constantly have my phone on me without needing to plug it in everywhere by just carrying a replacement and charging it when not in use.
    07-19-11 11:35 PM
    Slant, how are you charging your second battery? What charger are you using. Also has anyone seen anything on a extended battery for the upcoming Bold?
    07-20-11 12:44 AM
    External battery charger. Just google it for your device. I got mine from ebay but I'm pretty sure even the crackberry store carries them.
    07-20-11 01:16 AM
    I agree he used to. Now it seems like he favors the iPhone 4 quite a bit and is on a much higher pedestal.

Just hear/read enough on it. Don't need someone who knows so much giving us the skinny about what the iPhone does better. We all hear it way to much as is and now a well respected member seems to put the iPhone on a much higher ground.

Like I said, I would be the loner on this one.

I think he's just speaking out against those ridiculous few with a strong anti-Apple sentiment. BB fans putting down other makes and brands gets as annoying as the BB-bashers. I like BB's; I don't like iPhone or Android for me, but I recognize the advantages and benefits that a LOT of people find in them, and for that reason I would never bash them. 'Best' as it applies to any personal gadget is so absolutely subjective, these constant this-phone-is-better-than-that-phone arguments just get so tiresome. And they come out of the woodwork every time there's a new device announced, released, or updated. Along with the RIM is toast posts, it makes me not want to visit CB at times like these.

Crucial_Xtreme likes this.
    07-20-11 08:44 AM
    lol at people getting called out cause they put up sensible info against BB. We all have to live and breathe BB only if we're a member of these boards? Ridiculous. All platforms have their strengths/weaknesses, let's not act like blind sheep and talk up positives about BB no matter what. Be realistic.
    07-20-11 10:11 AM
    What I can't stand more than anything Fiddy is people that sign up on these boards just to bash BB in general.

I may be anti-apple and not really care for Android, but I am not one to sign up over at Android Central or an Apple Forum to defend my BB and tell them why I think their devices suck.

I honestly think if BB had the genius marketing like Apple does, we wouldn't be where we are at. With the same so called archaic OS.

The sheeple will be sheep....

That wasn't directed towards Crucial...

07-20-11 10:23 AM
    Oddly enough, any want I felt for the iPhone or other big-screen phones (like the SGS2 or what have you) was quashed with the introduction of the 7-inch tablet. Now the tablet does everything the all-screen smartphone does from an entertainment aspect (better), and I will have a phone that can concentrate on doing phone stuff well.
    07-20-11 11:28 AM
    lol I honestly can't help but laugh at most BB fanboys trying to justify these old phones. I'm using a BB too but I am realistic about the product. It is NOT what some of you make it out to be.
    I know what you mean. I laugh at the Android and iPhone fanbois trying to justify their decisions. I'm realistic about Android and iOS since I've used them both and they're really not all they're made out to be.

Ok keyboard's great, I'll give you that. I myself am not too fond of touch screens and I'd prefer the keyboard but not at the cost of aging tech with no versatility/app support.
    I haven't liked the experience of having a touchscreen. It didn't feel right for me. As far as the apps, when I was using my Android device I had at my disposal the entire Android market. I did not notice that my life had become more fulfilled or easier to manage. As far as aging tech I don't find that the Torch's lower specs translated to a lesser experience for me *with the sole exception of multimedia.* The Atrix obliterated my Torch. But my purpose for my device is not multimedia...I have my iPod for that. And the Torch handles YouTube tolerably well....some buffering. I can live with it. But it's vastly improved over the first few OSs I was running.

The few extra seconds I may spend by typing on a virtual keyboard is insignificant, especially with the tradeoff of a nice large display with great browsing and every day useful apps.
    I spent more than a couple of seconds correcting typing mistakes. Much prefer the Qwerty. That's a personal preference. The display was gorgeous but it meant lower battery life. A trade off that I'm not willing to make. As far as apps, again, I have the apps I need...except I'd really like a DC Circulator location app.

I've been using my mom's iPhone and while I'm not completely sold on it, the experience is significantly better than my Bold. Battery life is better than most smartphones but not by an exceptional amount, I have to charge my Bold every night just like my friends with iPhones and Droids charge their phones every night.
    I prefer to not have to charge every night if I don't have to.
    Case in point - last week a train hit a pedestrian in DC. We were at Union Station unable to leave. It wasn't until 8 p.m. that I gave up and rented a car. I picked up another rider and took her home which was a significant detour. By the time I got home it was past 11:00 p.m. My Atrix routinely gave out before my train even left the station. So I would have been unable to communicate with my family to let them know where I was if I'd carried my Atrix. And because I was in a rental car I did not have a car charger. These are every day type of occurrences that tell me that discounting the importance of battery life is not something I'm comfortable doing. Battery life is important. I prefer not having to look at the time whilst my battery meter runs down lower...lower...lower.

Email is the same thing, BB just gets them sooner. Not a big deal. LED is insignificant, never cared for it. And lastly, security is a relative term. People think cuz they have a BB they're impermeable to all forms of attack. Wrong. Just cuz it's better secured than iOS, don't think for a second that if someone really wanted to, the BB could be hacked just as well as an iPhone can.
    Only an uninformed consumer would think that BB is impenetrable. Any platform is subject to risk. And many of those risks come as a result of the apps everyone is so enamoured of.

I prefer a platform that is ready to use for my needs straight out of the box.

To that end, I will get the 9900 *and* the 9810.

Because having tried all platforms out there except for Symbian...guess what...BB just works best for me.

My ego is not dependent upon a spec sheet.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-20-11 at 11:36 AM.
    MNotar91 and Fr3lncr like this.
    07-20-11 11:31 AM
    I have had 3 Android Devices, 3 iPhones and countless BlackBerrys. Nothing works like a BB.

That keyboard is one thing I will NEVER be able to give up. Even the keyboards on the Droid devices are weak in comparison to the 9650 style keyboards.
    07-20-11 11:47 AM

I honestly think if BB had the genius marketing like Apple does, we wouldn't be where we are at. With the same so called archaic OS.
    All the marketing in the world still isn't going to make it any less of a pain for developers to make apps for the BB platform. A lack of strong marketing isn't the only thing holding BB back and a presence of it isn't the only thing keeping Apple ahead.
    07-20-11 11:55 AM
    Blackberry... with a 1.2ghz processor.
    Enough said.

07-20-11 02:58 PM
    Pick up an iPhone that was current when my 9000 was put out and use both of them today.

Blackberry looks new, iPhone will look like **** because of the shiny finish and grubby touch screen

Blackberry has a replaceable battery, iPhone doesn't.

Blackberry can be serviced by an end user, iPhone can't.

Blackberry browser speed increases with each update, iPhone doesn't.

Think an iPhone 4 will be relevant as long as a 9810 or 9900? Nope.

Think an iPhone 5 will be relevant as long as a 9900 or Monaco? Nope.

Built in obsolescence and new models out every year for Xmas to lure you in even when you have a year to go on your contract is not a good recipe for long lasting products.

Can you hear me now? Nope, I have crap reception on my iPhone. But if you had a Blackberry?
    07-20-11 04:23 PM
    Are you serious? I mean really serious?
    Pick up an iPhone that was current when my 9000 was put out and use both of them today.

Blackberry looks new, iPhone will look like **** because of the shiny finish and grubby touch screen
    The 9900 & 9810 have a grubby touch screens too

Blackberry has a replaceable battery, iPhone doesn't.
    Agreed, but it's not as if they go bad often. And they don't require pulling said battery to fix software problems

Blackberry can be serviced by an end user, iPhone can't.
    To a point which is definitely a plus on the BlackBerry side although doing so in most cases voids the warranty

Blackberry browser speed increases with each update, iPhone doesn't.
    Really? What about the introduction of the Nitro Javascript Engine?

Think an iPhone 4 will be relevant as long as a 9810 or 9900? Nope.
    Seriously? You've now lost all credibility. Is the Torch selling 20 million units a quarter almost a year after it's release? Nope.
    Apple sold 7+ million more iPhones than RIM shipped(not sold) in the same quarter. Speaks for itself.

Think an iPhone 5 will be relevant as long as a 9900 or Monaco? Nope.
    TBD, but I think it's fair to say this is probably not true

Built in obsolescence and new models out every year for Xmas to lure you in even when you have a year to go on your contract is not a good recipe for long lasting products.

Can you hear me now? Nope, I have crap reception on my iPhone. But if you had a Blackberry?
    You're definitely entitled to your opinion. But I'm not going to let your love for BlackBerry get in the way of the facts.

The 9900 is a great looking device. Other manufacturers are going to be hard pressed to make something as sexy this year. It's super fast & works well. It's going to give RIM much needed breathing room and will find it's way into many consumers hands. Is it better than the iPhone 4 or 5? That's up to the end user. But the 9900 can hold it's own in most areas with respect to the competition.
    RetroAndreas and purijagmohan like this.
    07-20-11 04:54 PM
    All the marketing in the world still isn't going to make it any less of a pain for developers to make apps for the BB platform. A lack of strong marketing isn't the only thing holding BB back and a presence of it isn't the only thing keeping Apple ahead.
    Apps, you are right, but I can guarantee if we had a better marketing strategy we wouldn't be where we are on the stock market.

Look at all the people that will come back to BB from other devices...apparently apps aren't everything.

I know for me, they aren't.

07-20-11 04:56 PM
    Apps, you are right, but I can guarantee if we had a better marketing strategy we wouldn't be where we are on the stock market.

Look at all the people that will come back to BB from other devices...apparently apps aren't everything.

I know for me, they aren't.

Apps are good. As long as they're truly useful in one way or another. Of course I don't load a bunch of apps on my Enterprise unit regardless. But luckily we have the PlayBook to do much of the framework building so when QNX devices come, things will transition easier.

The platform is out there, developers are getting more intimate with as time progresses. App World has gotten a face lift. In other words already having a QNX device will totally help when it comes to developing for HH's. That is when BB will take it's place in the whole apps race and will definitely be a contender.
    07-20-11 05:03 PM
    I agree Crucial. I can't see app world getting worse, lol!

It will be a better year for BB in late 11 and much better in 12. I am just holding out until I see some good solid reviews on the 9900 and well would like to see where QNX is headed as my upgrade will be in the time frame of when they "should" be coming out.

If not, I will more than likely go 9900.

07-20-11 06:58 PM
    Are you serious? I mean really serious?

You're definitely entitled to your opinion. But I'm not going to let your love for BlackBerry get in the way of the facts.

The 9900 is a great looking device. Other manufacturers are going to be hard pressed to make something as sexy this year. It's super fast & works well. It's going to give RIM much needed breathing room and will find it's way into many consumers hands. Is it better than the iPhone 4 or 5? That's up to the end user. But the 9900 can hold it's own in most areas with respect to the competition.
    He is right about the cellular radios though. RIM's really are better.
    07-20-11 07:05 PM
    I agree Crucial. I can't see app world getting worse, lol!

It will be a better year for BB in late 11 and much better in 12. I am just holding out until I see some good solid reviews on the 9900 and well would like to see where QNX is headed as my upgrade will be in the time frame of when they "should" be coming out.

If not, I will more than likely go 9900.

If you're a fan of the Bold as your username suggests, by all means you will absolutely love the 9900. Guaranteed.

Did you see all of the nonsense in that post? I will say that the argument could be made that Apple's is better. But I'm with you, I think RIM's is better.
    07-20-11 07:19 PM
    I'm looking for the best smartphone without a camera and I'm thinking that the 9930 is it.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
    07-20-11 07:41 PM
    I think all this comparing to 9930 and iphone4 doesn't make any sense. Lets wait and compare 9930 and ip5. And having said that can you really compare an iphone or droid to 9930. Kind of different devices???
    07-20-11 08:07 PM
    Did you see all of the nonsense in that post? I will say that the argument could be made that Apple's is better. But I'm with you, I think RIM's is better.
    Hahaha that was pretty bad.
    07-20-11 08:25 PM
    If you're a fan of the Bold as your username suggests, by all means you will absolutely love the 9900. Guaranteed.

I have a 3G iPad and a BB 9700. Based on personal observation the BB has a better radio.
    07-20-11 09:07 PM
    I used to think so too. But...not at all any more.

I have had the opportunity lately to buy, try & sell several BB 9700's, a couple of 9780's and a couple of 9000's...and every one, when I tried a test call had a much less clear and clean incoming sound quality than I have on every call, every day on my iPhone 4. I had never had both the BlackBerry and iPhone together to test side by side...and it was a shock.

Frankly, I was disappointed greatly...especially seeing as I used to put down the iPhone as being sub-par in the cellular radio department when I was a real BlackBerry fan.

Like I said earlier...RIM is going to have to "wow" me with the 9900 to have me come back to BlackBerry, and I want to...really. I have really become spoiled though to what Apple has to offer.
    07-20-11 09:18 PM
173 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD